That is exactly what Elinor would say.
爱琳娜也会这么说
And she would be right.
她说得对
Miss Marianne, will you do me the honor of granting me an interview tomorrow?
玛丽安 明天能否和我单独见面
Alone?
单独见面
Willoughby, we are always alone. But there is…
卫乐比 我们一直都是如此 可是
There is something very particular I should like to ask you.
我有特别的事要问你
Of course.
当然
I shall ask Mama if I may stay behind from church.
我会请妈让我不必上教堂
Thank you.
谢谢
Until tomorrow, then.
明天见
Miss Marianne.
玛丽安小姐
Oh, Virtue.
哦 美德
Silently and with fear, enter Thou into the hearts of all them that hear me this day.
安静地 小心地进入今天在座的各位心中
Do you think he’ll kneel down when he asks her?
你想他会跪着说吗
Shh. The fear of Him is the beginning of wisdom.
嘘 他的恐惧产生了智慧
They always kneel down. Good understanding have all that do.
求婚都得下跪 如若理解这点
Margaret, Margaret, come back
玛格丽特 回来
Splendid sermon. Splendid
精彩的布道 精彩
What is wrong, dearest?
怎么了 亲爱的
Willoughby? What is the matter?
卫乐比 怎么回事
I must
我必须
Forgive me, Mrs. Dashwood.
对不起 戴小姐
I am sent…
我奉命
That is to say, Lady Allen has exercised the privilege of riches upon a dependent cousin
艾夫人运用富人的特权
and is sending me to London.
把我送去伦敦
When? This morning? Almost this moment.
什么时候 今天早上么 就是现在了
What a disappointment. But your business won’t detain you for long, I hope?
真是遗憾 你应该不会去很久吧
You are kind, but I have no idea of returning immediately to Devonshire.
谢谢你的好意 可是我短期之内不会回来了
I’m seldom invited to Allenham more than once a year.
我一年只被邀请来一次
For shame, Willoughby. Can you wait for an invitation from Barton Cottage?
真可耻 卫乐比 若是邀请你 可晚点再走吗
My engagements at present are of such a nature…
我的事情很紧急
That is to say I dare not flatter my…
也就是说我不敢
It’s folly to linger in this manner. I will not torment myself further.
这样很不明智 我不想再折磨自己
Willoughby, come back!
卫乐比 回来
Margaret, ask Betsy to make a cup of tea for Marianne.
玛格丽特 请贝丝帮玛丽安泡杯茶
What is wrong, my love? Do not ask me questions.
怎么回事 别问我
Please, let me be.
请你让我静静
They must have quarrelled.
他们一定是吵架了
That is unlikely.
不太像
Perhaps this Lady Allen disapproves of his regard for Marianne.
也许是艾夫人 不赞成他们在一起
And has invented an excuse to send him away.
找藉口支开他
Then why did he not say as much?
那他为何不明说
It is not like Willoughby to be secretive.
他平常什么事都说的
What is it you suspect him of?
那你觉得是什么事呢
I can hardly tell you. But why was his manner so guilty?
我不知道 但他为何面有愧色
What are you saying, Elinor? That he’s been acting a part for all this time?
你是说他一直都在做戏
No. He loves her. I am sure.
不 他爱她 这点我敢肯定
Of course he loves her!
他当然爱她
Has he left her any assurance of his return?
他有没有保证他会回来
Cannot you ask if he proposed.
问问看他是否有求婚
Certainly not! I cannot force a confidence from Marianne. Nor should you.
不行 我不能去逼问她 你也不该
We must trust her to confide in us in her own time.
让她自己跟我们说
There was something so underhand in the manner of his leaving.
我总觉得他有问题
You are resolved to think the worst of him. I’m not resolved.
你对他有成见 我没有成见
I prefer give him the benefit of my good opinion. He deserves no less.
我愿意相信他
From all of us.
我们都应该如此
Mama, I am very fond of Willoughby
妈 我很喜欢卫乐比
Mama. Mama!
妈 妈
She would not let me in.
她不让我进去
To sail us up the river How will we travel on land?
在河面上载着我们 我们在陆地上怎么旅行
Oh, if only this rain would stop.
雨停该有多好
If only you would stop.
你能闭嘴更好
It was you took her off my hands, Mr. Palmer. And a very good bargain you made of it too.
是你要娶我女儿的 而且算是便宜你了
Now I have the whip hand over you, for you cannot give her back.
现在我手上的牌比你强 因为你不能把人还给我
Marianne, play with us. Looking at the weather will not bring him back.
玛丽安 来玩牌 你这样 他也不会回来的
She ate nothing at dinner. We’re all a little forlorn these days.
她晚餐都没吃 最近好无聊
Dear Miss Dashwood, perhaps now we might have our discussion.
戴小姐 我们可以 讨论了吧
Our discussion?
讨论
There is a particular question I’ve long wanted to ask you.
有件事我一直想请教你
But perhaps you’ll think me impertinent.
就怕有点冒昧
I cannot imagine so. But it is an odd question.
我无法想象 这问题很突兀
Forgive me, I’ve no wish to trouble you.
原谅我 我并不打算麻烦你
No, no, My dear Steel. Miss Dashwood,
不 不 亲爱的史小姐 戴小姐
if only he’d gone home to Combe Magna, we could have taken Miss Marianne to see him.
如果卫先生回家了 我们可以陪令妹找他 我们只相距半哩
We live but half a mile away.
我们只相距半哩
Five and a half. No.
是五哩半 不
I cannot believe it is that far. You can see the place from our hill. Is it really five and a half…
我不信有那么远 从山上能看到那地方 真有五哩半
No, I can’t believe it. Try.
我不相信 试着相信
You have my permission to ask any question, if that is of any help.
你可以问我任何问题 如果我可以帮得上忙
Thank you.
谢谢你
Are you acquainted with your sister-in-law’s mother, Mrs. Ferrars?
你认识你大嫂的母亲 费太太吗
With Fanny’s mother?
芬妮的母亲
No, I have never met her.
不 我没见过她
You must think me strange for inquiring
你一定觉得奇怪
If only I dared tell…
如果我告诉你
Lucy, if she tells you of the famous Mr. F, you must pass it on.
如果她在说F先生的事 你可得要告诉我们
Will you take a turn with me, Miss Dashwood?
陪我走走好吗
Oh, certainly.
哦 当然
I had no idea you were at all connected with that family.
我不知道你跟她家有关系
Oh, I am nothing to Mrs. Ferrars at present.
我目前与费太太毫无关系
But the time may come
但可能有这么一天
when we may be very intimately connected.
我会跟她相当亲近
What do you mean?
此话怎讲
Do you have an understanding with Fanny’s brother Robert?
你是否和芬妮的弟弟 罗伯特 有了婚约
The youngest? No.
老幺 不
I never met him in my life.
我不曾见过他
No. With Edward.
不 是和爱德华
Edward? Edward Ferrars?
爱德华 爱德华·费洛斯
Edward and I have been secretly engaged these five years.
爱德华和我私订终身有五年了
You may well be surprised.
你一定很意外
I only mention it because I entirely trust you to keep our secret.
我知道你一定会保密才跟你说
Edward would not mind my telling you.
爱德华一定不会介意我告诉你
For he looks on you quite as his own sister.
爱德华拿你当妹妹看
I am sorry.
对不起 我们
we… surely we…
我们 我们当然
We surely do not mean the same Mr. Ferrars.
我们说的是不同的两个人吧
Oh, the very same. He was four years under the tutelage of my uncle, Mr. Pratt, in Plymouth
是同一人 他曾就读我舅舅在普茅利斯主持的学校
Has he never spoken of it?
他没跟你提过
Yes. Yes, I believe he has.
对 有的
I was very unwilling without his mother’s approval,
我希望得到他母亲的首肯
But we loved each other with too great a passion for prudence.
但我们相爱的无法自拔
Though you do not know him as well as I, Miss Dashwood,
也许你不像我一样了解他 戴小姐
you must have seen how capable he is
但你应该知道他很容易
to make a woman sincerely attached to him.
让女人倾心
I cannot pretend it has not been hard on us both.
我们相爱得非常辛苦
We can scarcely meet above twice a year.
我们一年最多只能见上二次面
You seem out of sorts, Miss Dashwood. Are you quite well?
戴小姐 你好像有点不对劲 你还好吧
Perfectly well, thank you.
相当好 谢谢你
I have not offended you? On the contrary.
我没冒犯你吧 正相反
I cannot stand it any longer. I must know what you are saying, Lucy
我忍♥不了了 我必须知道你们在说啥 露西
If anyone finds out, it will ruin him. Promise me you’ll not tell a soul.
如果有人发现 这会毁了他 答应我 绝不说出去
Miss Dashwood is quite engrossed.
戴小姐好像略有所思
I give you my word.
我答应你
What can have fascinated you to such an extent, Miss Dashwood?
什么事让你兴致这么高 戴小姐
Tell us all!
说来听听
We were talking of London, ma’am, and of all its diversions
我们在谈伦敦的事
Do you hear that, Charlotte?
你听到没有 夏洛特
While you were whispering Charlotte and I have concocted a plan.
你们在说悄悄话的时候 夏洛特和我有了个想法
It is the best plan in the world!
它是世界上最好的计划
I make for London shortly, and I invite you, Lucy
我要去伦敦暂住 我邀请你 露西