It’s hot. How do you manage it? Marianne.
好烫 你怎么弄的 玛丽安
Where can Brandon be? Poor fellow. I hope he’s not lamed his horse.
布莱登跑哪去了 不会是他的马跛了吧
Colonel Brandon is the most eligible bachelor in the county.
布上校 是本郡最有价值的单身汉
Oh, indeed.
哦 确实
He is bound to go for one of you. I think he’s a better age for Miss Dashwood.
你们其中一位可以嫁给他 以他的年纪比较适合戴小姐
But I dare say she’s left her heart behind in Sussex.
就怕她早已名花有主
I see you, Miss Marianne! I think I’ve unearthed a secret.
我瞧见你了 玛丽安 秘密被我发现了
You’ve sniffed them out already. You’re worse than my best pointer.
你已经闻出来了 你比我最棒的猎犬还差呢
What sort of man is he, Miss Dashwood? a butcher, baker, candlestick maker?
他从事哪一行 戴小姐 士农工商
I shall winkle it out of you, you know.
我非打听到不可
She’s horribly good at winkling.
她是包打听
You’re in lonely country now, Miss Dashwood. We none of us have any secrets here.
你在一个寂寞的小村庄里 这里可没有秘密
Or if we do, we do not keep them long.
就算有也不会维持太久
He’s curate of the parish. Or perhaps a handsome lieutenant.
我敢说他是神职人员 或者是英俊的军官
Give us a clue, Mrs. Dashwood, is he in uniform? He has no profession.
来点暗示吧 他穿不♥穿♥制♥服♥ 他没职业
Oh.

No profession? He’s a gentleman?
没有职业 他是位绅士啰
Margaret, you know perfectly well there is no such person.
你明知没有这个人
There is, there is and his name begins with F.
就有 他姓的开头是F
Margaret. Oh.
玛格丽特 哦
An F, indeed. Now there’s a promising letter. Let me…
F 这就有眉目了 让我
F? F? Foster?
F F 佛斯特
There’s one. Forrest? Fotheringay? Featherty?
有了 佛斯特 福林葛 佛斯提
Fortescue? Fondant?
佛泰斯秋 佛顿
Sir John, might I play your pianoforte?
我能否弹你们的钢琴
Yes, of course.
当然可以
My goodness.
天哪
Yes,we don’t stand on ceremony here, my dear.
大家不要这么拘束 约翰爵士 请原谅
I cannot remember when we last had a songbird in the house.
上回听歌♥是哪一年来着
Lovely, wasn’t that love… Brandon, where have you been?
可爱啊 可爱 布莱登你去哪了
Come and meet our beautiful new neighbours.
过来见见我们美丽的邻居
What a pity you’re late. You have not heard our delightful songbird, MIss Marianne.
真可惜你来迟了 你没听到玛丽安美妙的歌♥声
A great pity.
确实很可惜
Miss Dashwood, May I present my dear friend Colonel Brandon, We served in the East lndies together.
这位是我的好友 布莱登上校 东印度的老战友
I’m sure there’s no better fellow in the world.
天下没有比他更好的人
Have you really been to the East Indies?
你去过东印度群岛
I have. What’s it like?
我去过 那里是什么样子
Like? Hot.
怎么样 热得很
The air is full of spices.
空气中全是香味
Now, Miss Dashwood, it’s your turn to entertain us.
戴小姐 现在轮到你表演了
Oh, no, sir John, I…
哦 不 约翰爵士 我
And I believe I know what key you will sing in.
我知道你要唱什么调
F-major…
F大调
As for you, you have no right no right at all to parade your ignorant assumptions…
至于你 乱猜的事你还到处乱讲
They’re not assumptions. You told me.
这可不是乱猜 是你说的呀
I told you nothing.
我什么也没说
They’ll meet him when he comes anyway.
反正他要来
Magaret, that’s not the point. You don’t speak of such things before strangers.
玛格丽特 这种事不能随便说
Everyone else was. Mrs. Jennings is not “everyone.”
大家都在说 只有詹太太
I like her. She talks about things. We never talk about things.
我喜欢她 她爱聊天 我们从不聊天
Hush, please. That is enough, Margaret.
请安静 够了 玛格丽特
If you cannot think of anything appropriate to say, you will please restrict your remarks to the weather.
想不到合适的话题 就谈天气好了
Surely they’ve got enough reeds for Moses’s basket by now.
他们找到的芦苇编再大的篮子也够了
Mama, we’ve got lots.
妈妈 我们找到了许多
You know what are they saying, of course?
你知道外面的传言吧
Hm? Word is, you’ve developed a taste for certain company.
人家说你看上一个人 有何不可
And why not, say I? A man like you in his prime.
我会说 为什么不呢 你正值壮年
She’d be a very fortunate young lady.
这是她的福气
Marianne Dashwood would no more think of me than she would of you, John.
玛丽安看不上我这种人
Brandon, my boy, do not think of yourself so meanly.
别小看自己
And all the better for her.
这样才省她的事
Oh, no.
哦 不
Oh.

Besotted.
真是陶醉
An excellent match.
他们是天作之合
For he’s rich, and she’s handsome.
他富有 她标致
How long have you known the colonel?
你认识他多久了
Lord bless you. As long as ever I’ve been here, and I came 15 years back.
打从我来这里就认识他了 15年了
His estate at Delaford is but four miles hence, and he and John are very thick.
他家离这里只有四英哩 他和约翰又是至交
He has no wife and children. He had a tragic history.
他没有妻儿 他有段辛酸往事
He loved a girl once. Twenty years ago now.
他爱上了一个人 是在两年前
A ward to his family. They were not permitted to marry.
但因为家人的反对而没结果
On what grounds? Money. Eliza was poor.
为什么 为了钱 伊丽莎很穷
When the father discovered their amour,
当他父亲发现了他们的恋情
she was flung out of the house, and he was packed off to the army.
她被逐出家门 而他被迫从军
I think he’d have done himself harm if not for John.
要不是约翰 我想他会想不开
What became of the lady?
那位小姐后来呢
She was passed from man to man.
她换了好几个男人
Disappeared from good society.
上流社会就再也没她的踪迹
When Brandon returned from India he searched heaven knows how long,
布莱登从印度回来后 就一直在找她
only to find her dying in a poorhouse.
在收♥容♥所♥找到时 她已经去逝了
Once, I thought my daughter Charlotte might have cheered him up.
我以为我女儿夏洛特 可以令他开心
But she’s better off where she is.
但她现在最好离开她呆的地方
But look at him now! So attentive!
但你看他 多体贴呀
I think I should try a little experiment. Oh, no, Mr. Jennings. Please, leave the poor colonel alone.
让我去试探一下 别去捉弄他吧
No, my dear, it’s just a thing. All suitors need a little help.
不 不 亲爱的 所有的追求者 都需要有人推一把
Colonel Brandon, we have not heard you play for us of late.
我们好久没听到你弹琴了 布莱登上校
There’s a simple reason, my dear. That you have a far superior musician here.
有高手在此 何必班门弄斧
Perhaps you did not know that our dear Brandon shares your passion for music.
也许你不知道布兰登跟你一样喜爱音乐
He plays the pianoforte well.
他可是钢琴高手
Oh, come, I trow you know as many melancholy tunes as Miss Marianne.
你和玛丽安一样 知道很多哀伤的曲子
You must play us a duet. Let us see you both side by side.
来个二重奏好了 你们合奏一曲
I do not know any duets.
我不会弹二重奏
Forgive me, colonel.
抱歉 上校
Are we never to have a moment’s peace?
难道我们没有宁静的一天吗
The rent here may be low, but we have it on very hard terms.
房♥租虽然便宜 但却要受气
Mrs. Jennings is a wealthy woman with a married daughter, She has nothing to do but marry off everyone else’s.
詹太太有钱有闲 她喜欢替人作媒
There’s a parcel arrived.
有人送包裹来
Parcel? Look!
包裹 看
Oh, my goodness.
哦 天哪
When did this arrive? Can I open it?
什么时候送来的 我能打开它么
It is too ridiculous. When is a man to be safe from such wit, if age and infirmity do not protect him.
他又老又虚弱 怎会还有人开这种玩笑
Infirmity? If Brandon is infirm,
虚弱 他是虚弱的话
then I am at death’s door.
那我不早就是行尸走肉
It is a miracle your life has extended this far.
你活这么大岁数真是个奇迹
Did he not complain of a rheumatism in his shoulder? “A slight ache,” I believe was his phrase.
他自己说有风湿 他只说”一点痛”
But Edward said he would bring it himself.
爱德华说他要亲自拿来的
“Dear Mrs. Dashwood, Miss Dashwood, Miss Marianne and Captain Margaret.
“亲爱的戴夫人 戴小姐 玛丽安和玛格丽特大人”
“it gives me great pleasure to restore this atlas to its rightful owner
“谨将地图集物归原主”
“a lot of business in London does not permit me to accompany it,
“公事缠身 无法亲自奉还
“although this is likely to hurt me far more than it hurts you.
“遗憾之至 恐甚于各位”
“For the present, my memories of your kindness must sustain me, I remain
“感谢各位的盛情 吾将永志难忘”
your devoted servant always, E.C. Ferrars.”
“祝安 E.C.费洛斯”
Why hasn’t he come? He says he’s busy, dear.
他为什么不来 亲爱的 他说了他很忙
He said he’d come.
他说会来的
Why hasn’t he come?
为什么不来
I’m taking you for a walk.
我带你去散步
No, I’ve been a walk. You need another.
不 我已经散过步了 你需要再散一次
It is going to rain. It is not going to rain.
快要下雨了 不会的
You always say that and then it always does.
你每次都这样说然后总是下了
I fear Mrs. Jennings is a bad influence.
我觉得詹太太是个坏榜样
You must miss him, Elinor.
你一定很想念他 爱琳娜
We are not engaged, Mama.
妈 我们又没有订婚
But he loves you, dearest.
可是他爱你 亲爱的
I am by no means assured of his regard for me.
我不清楚他怎么想
If when he to feel such a preference,
就算他有意思
we should be foolish to assume there would not be many obstacles
也不代表 他能娶一位
to his marrying a woman of no rank who cannot afford to buy sugar.
没地位 连买♥♥糖都嫌贵的女人
But your heart must tell you… In such a situation, Mama, it is perhaps better to use one’s head.
但你心知肚明 以现在这情况最好用大脑去想
It can’t be good for me. It’s very good for you. Stop complaining.
这怎会对我好 会的 别抱怨了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!