三周前他也在这个教堂里讲话
who stood in this very church just three weeks ago,
也遭枪击身亡
had been shot and killed,
我对妻子科瑞塔说
I turned to my wife Coretta
我一直这么说
and said the same thing I often say
当我们的领导人之一倒下时
when one of our leaders is struck down,
“如果我们不能为自己爱的人 自己坚信的事”
“Our lives are not fully lived
“付出自己的生命”
“if we’re not willing to die for those we love
“那这辈子就不算活得完整”
“and for what we believe.”
但是今天 吉米
But today, Jimmie,
我们还活着 你却死了
we’re doing the living and you’ve done the dying, dear brother.
我们不会让你的生命白白失去
We will not let your sacrifice pass in vain, dear brother.
我们不会罢休的
We will not let it go!
我们会完成你未竟的事
We will finish what you were after!
你被拒绝的 我们会帮你拿到
We will get what you were denied!
我们会参选 让那些官员下台
We will vote and we will put these men out of office!
我们会夺回权力
We will take their power!
你为什么而死 我们就要赢回什么
We will win what you were slaughtered for!
对
Yeah!
我们要回华盛顿
We’re going back to Washington.
要求见总统
We’re going to demand to see the President.
我会告诉他
And I’m gonna tell him
吉米是被政♥府♥杀害的
that Jimmie was murdered by an administration
政♥府♥每天花巨款
that spends millions of dollars every day
以自♥由♥的名义在越南牺牲生命
to sacrifice life in the name of liberty in Vietnam,
却缺乏道德意志和道德勇气
yet lacks the moral will and the moral courage
维护美国境内自己人♥民♥的生命
to defend the lives of its own people here in America!
我们不会就此罢休的
We will not let it go!
如果他不行动 我们就行动
And if he does not act, we will act. We will act!
为了所有失去的生命行动
We will do it for all of our lost ones.
所有和吉米一样的人
All of those, like Jimmie Lee Jackson,
早早地离开了我们 被仇恨所害
who have gone too soon, taken by hate!
让我听听我们提出的
Let me hear the top-tier issues
法案中最重要的几点
that have to be evident in the overall legislation we demand.
理清一下思路
Let’s break it down.
从我们已经知道的开始说
But let’s root this discussion in what we know.
我们知道约翰逊看不清全局
We know Johnson can’t see the full picture.
所以 我们要向他展示全局
So, let’s paint it for him.
具体来说有什么困难 遭到什么羞辱
What are the specific hardships and humiliations
可以在更大的立法背景下提及
we can address within the larger context of legislation?
博士 我们首先要禁止那些法律
Doc, we gotta start with banning these laws that
它规定 如果黑人尝试注册选举
if a Negro tries to register,
我是说 真正鼓起勇气去了法♥院♥大楼
I mean, actually musters up the courage to go in that courthouse,
就要他们的姓名地址登在报纸上
that their name and address is published in the paper.
这让有意加害他们的人 知道了他们的具体地址
It gives anybody who wants to do them any harm
我们都知道3K党是怎样的
their exact location, and we know how the Klan is.
这个我知道 但是人头税问题是我们首要关注的
I hear that. But the poll taxes got to be our focus first.
因为黑人都很穷 这边的黑人很贫困
‘Cause black people are poor! Black people are poor down here.
-是 -然后他们每年还得付人头税
-Yep. -And they expected to pay for every year
在他们能合法注册投票之前
they weren’t legally registered before they can register.
这算怎么回事 谁有这钱
Now, what the hell is that? Who got that kind of money?
行了 听我说
Come on now! Listen now!
最大的问题是选举担♥保♥人
The big issue is voting vouchers.
这是首要问题吗
Is that the number one issue?
等一等 听我说完
Now hold on. Let me finish.
因为这一点会受大家的忽视
‘Cause everybody’ll forget about this part.
但是 如果你是黑人 唯一参与选举的方法
But if you’re Negro, the only way you can vote
就是要有通过审核的选举人为你担♥保♥
is if an approved registered voter vouches for you.
对吧 所以举个例子 比如说朗兹县
Right? So, let’s say, you take some place like Lowndes County,
那里没有黑人注册选举
where there are no Negroes who are registered
你必须要已经注册过的人
and you’ve got to have someone who is registered
给你提供担♥保♥
to vouch for you.
这你该怎么办呢
What are you supposed to do?
你一个注册过的都不认识
Nobody you know,
方圆100英里内 一个注册过选举的黑人都没有
not a single black person for 100 miles is registered.
所以要怎么才找得到担♥保♥人呢 对吧
So how do you get the voucher, right?
进到法♥院♥那扇门里
To get you into the courthouse door
付人头税
to pay the poll tax
然后名字被登到报纸上
to get your name published
接着就被杀了
and get yourself dead.
没错
That’s true.
我们需要新的计划
We need a new plan!
我不能带着他回华盛顿
I can’t take him back to Washington
去白宫提一些空想的建议
and waltz into the White House with a list of empty demands.
注意战略 朋友们
Tactics, my friends!
我们必须把现有的制度
We must break down this institution
分♥析♥出具体的战术 这样才好瓦解它
into the tangible tactics that it takes to dismantle it.
下一步打算如何
What’s your next move?
我们要从塞尔玛游♥行♥到蒙哥马利 抗♥议♥并扩大影响力
A march from Selma to Montgomery to protest and amplify.
真该死
Well, I’ll be damned.
你一直以来都打算这么做对吧
This was always part of the plan, wasn’t it?
在塞尔玛制♥造♥点悲伤的话题 然后扩大影响
Provoke some tragedy in little old Selma, then go big.
等有人被杀了 就可以到国家首都游♥行♥了
Get someone killed and march on the State Capitol!
从塞尔玛到蒙哥马利有50英里
Selma to Montgomery’s gotta be 50 miles!
这些手无寸铁的人 在阿♥拉♥巴马州乡间游♥行♥
You march those people into rural Alabama unprotected,
这简直就像狩猎季
it’s gonna be open season.
太远了 也太危险了
It’s too damn far and too damn dangerous!
那就提出新立法吧 先生
Then propose new legislation, sir.
今年做不了 我不会提的 告诉过你了
I can’t do that this year. I won’t! I told you.
我们需要您的参与 总统先生
We need your involvement here, Mr. President.
作为本国的公民 我们理应得到您的帮助
We deserve your help as citizens of this country.
公民遭到了袭击
Citizens under attack.
你现在听我说
Now, you listen to me. You listen to me.
你是活动家 我是政♥治♥家
You’re an activist. I’m a politician.
你手头有这么一件事 我有101件
You got one big issue. I got a hundred and one.
现在 你提出更多的要求
Now, you demanding more
让大家的视线都聚焦到这次访问 这没关系
and putting me on the spot with this visit, that’s okay.
这是你的本职工作
That’s your job. That’s what you do.
但我真的累了也厌倦了
But I am sick and tired
你提出这些要求 不断地告诉我
of you demanding and telling me
能做什么 不能做什么
what I can and what I can’t do.
如果你需要我支持这次选举权的事
If you want my support on this voting thing,
我也需要你做点事来报答
I need some quid pro quo from you.
什么事 总统先生
What do you want, Mr. President?
我们得到消息说 有人发出恐吓
We have a line on some threats that are
令人担忧
particularly troubling.
这次有什么不一样吗
Well, what’s new?
不 说真的 这次的恐吓很可信 有具体细节
No, no. This is serious. Credible threats with detail.
这消息我猜是从联邦调查局那里听来的
This information, coming from the FBI, I assume?
高级官员
High-level?
和像猎野兽一样跟踪我们的 是同一批人吧
The same high-level that’s been tracking us like animals?
窃听我们的家和旅馆房♥间
Bugging our homes and our hotel rooms.
想挖一些根本不存在的事 对吗 李
Digging for things that simply are not there, Lee?
这么想就很合理了
This all feels very convenient.
好吧
Okay.
消息是从阿♥拉♥巴马州的朗兹县得到的
This is coming from Lowndes County, Alabama.
地处塞尔玛和蒙哥马利之间
Between Selma and Montgomery.
我告诉你 如果他的事交给我负责
I’m telling you, if he were my guy,
我不会让他打头阵
I’d keep him off the frontlines.
就一阵子
Just for a while.
这不可能 李
Not gonna happen, Lee.
我们妥协一下吧 马丁
Meet me halfway on this, Martin.
不行 总统先生
I can’t, Mr. President.
不行还是你不愿
Can’t or won’t?
我来这里 是希望能跟您谈谈人们的问题
I came here hoping to talk to you about people.
很多人因这件事正在街头死去
People are dying in the street for this.
我等不了了
It cannot wait, sir.
总统先生 谈得怎样
Mr. President, how did it go?
我能帮上什么忙吗
What can I do to help?
给我接胡佛的电♥话♥
Get me J. Edgar Hoover.
金
King,