还有,就我上次看来,杰克和孩子们仍旧是家庭的一部分吧
And, last time I checked, Jack and your children were still part of this family.
霍利斯,你是我哥哥,我敬重你
Hollis, you’re my brother and I love you,
但如果你坚持要评价我作为一个妻子和母亲是否称职
but if you presume to judge my fitness as a wife or mother
我以后只能和你形同陌路了
I will count you a stranger for the rest of my life.
彭妮,霍利斯只是在讲道理
Penny, Hollis is only trying to talk sense.
我们需要赢回一些希望
We need to regain some perspective.
– 赢回? – 彭妮,只是…
– Regain? – Penny, it’s just…
我们现在先别谈这个
Let’s not talk about this right now.
不,不,不,她需要知道
No. No, no, no. She needs to hear this.
她需要知道什么?
She needs to hear what?
他现在所有不动产的价值
At the current value of his estate,
继承税至少有六百万美元
the inheritance tax will be at least six million dollars.
我们没人有这么多钱
And neither of us has a fraction of that money.
所以我们把母马和马驹卖♥♥了
So we sell the mares and the yearlings.
我已经做了估算,这些还不够一半
I had an appraisal done, and that won’t get us half of what we need.
但我们还有个选择
But there is another option.
我不会卖♥♥了他的
I’m not selling him.
根据它现在2岁就这么突出
Due to his outstanding two-year-old season,
如果今天卖♥♥出,秘书处会带来七百万美元的收入
if he were sold today, Secretariat would bring a price of seven million dollars.
但如果他输掉了三冠赛中哪怕一场
But if he were to lose just one of the Triple Crown races
他就会掉价到三百万美元,再没升值空间
that value would drop to three million with no way to recover it.
所以我们卖♥♥了秘书处吧
So we sell Secretariat.
– 你竟然要卖♥♥他 – 我们没时间了
– You try and sell him and… – We’re out of time.
如果我们不这样做,它会变得一文不值
If we don’t play this right, it could amount to nothing.
我们的父亲就是这样白手起家的
Our father came from nothing.
他留给我的不是金钱
And his legacy to me isn’t money.
而是对胜利的渴望!如果你能,如果不能就去争取
It’s the will to win! If you can. And live with it if you can’t.
如果我必须和你对簿公堂,我会的
If I have to challenge you in court on this, I will.
哈姆女士,你能进来一下吗?
Miss Ham? Would you come in here a moment, please?
谢谢你,哈姆女士
Thank you, Miss Ham.
你能跟杰克和霍利斯说一下爸爸留给你的那个文件吗
Would you tell Jack and Hollis about the document that Daddy left for you.
五年前,切纳里先生让我做了一个委任书的见证人
Five years ago Mr. Chenery had me witness him signing a provision that,
你们两个都是受益人
while both of you are beneficiaries,
养马场会留给霍利斯
dispersal of the farm would be left to Hollis.
马的去留由彭妮决定
Decisions regarding the horses would be left to Penny.
他那时候已经痴呆了
We could argue he already had dementia.
他签字的时候头脑清醒
He was of sound mind when he signed it.
我会在法庭上起誓
I’d swear to it… in court.
谢谢你,哈姆女士
Thank you, Miss Ham.
很好,我在哈佛教经济学
Great. I teach economics at Harvard,
但我却不能弄回着六百万美元
and I don’t know a way to conjure up six million dollars
在你继续让它比赛前,你凭什么认为你能行
before you race him again. What makes you think you can?
我会找到方法的。如果不能,我也会一直努力
I’ll find a way. And if I can’t, I’ll live with it.
为什么?你为什么需要坚持这个
Why? Why do you need to live with it?
让我,还有整个家庭,都坚持着这些,这都过去了
Make me, the whole family, live with it for a past that is gone!
我们的父亲是个很好的人,但他不会回来了
Our father was a great man, but we can’t bring him back.
这不是为了过去
This isn’t about going back.
这是我们以后的人生,还有我们对它的态度
This is about life being ahead of you and you run at it.
你不努力就永远不会知道你能做到多好
Because you never know how far you can go unless you run.
真好
That’s great.
但如果你失败了
But if you stumble and fall,
你不仅让我们变成蠢蛋,还会让我们沦为乞讨
you don’t just make us fools, you make us beggars.
当和你赛马的人打电♥话♥来家里,们不是找特威迪夫人
When your horse people call the house, they don’t ask for Mrs. Tweedy,
他们找切纳里小姐
they ask for Miss Chenery.
– 你是不是就这样变了 – 杰克…
– Is that who you’ve become? – Jack…
切纳里小姐和特威迪夫人一直都是同一个人
…Miss Chenery and Mrs. Tweedy have always been the same person.
我不明白特威迪先生怎么会站在我的对立面
I’m wondering how it is that Mr. Tweedy could take sides against me.
强迫我做什么,这是不可能的
Trying to muscle me into something. Can’t do that.
– 晚上好,艾迪 – 你好,夫人
– Good evening, Eddie. – Hi, ma’am.
你好吗,大赤兔?
How are you, Big Red?
– 怎么样了? – 夫人…
– How’s it going? – Ma’am…
我猜你听说了公牛亚瑟·汉考克的事了吧
I reckon you heard about Bull Hancock, ma’am?
没有
No.
那么…
Well…
在你父亲的葬礼后,他回到家,然后就这么去世了
After your daddy’s funeral, they say he went home and just fell dead.

Oh.
我不知道上帝是如何安排的
I don’t know about the ways of God, ma’am,
但…我知道你父亲和公牛先生互相扶持
but… I know your daddy and Mr. Bull lifted each other up.
就像你帮助我,帮助赤兔
The way you lift me up and the way you lift up Red.
他心里的每件事
Everything living lives from its heart,
我也希望我能帮到你
and I wish I can give you something to lift yours up.
谢谢你艾迪,你已经帮了
Well, thank you, Eddie. You just did.
他看到了什么?
What does he see?
当他看着我的时候,我觉得他的目光是那么深
When he looks at me, I feel like he looks right into me.
他只看到那些影响他的事物,那些迅速的
He sees what matters to him, ma’am. What’s immediate.
天上的云彩或者什么的,这些对马都没有什么意义
The clouds and stuff, they don’t mean nothing to a horse.
光,声音,闪电…注意力!
Lights, sounds, flashes… Intentions!
这是赛马最敏感的事物
That’s what a horse notices.
尤其是像大赤兔这么聪明的一匹马
Especially one as smart as Big Red here.
他们能判断旁边的赛马什么时候追上来
And they can tell when the horse next to them or behind them
总是要做第一,无论是对食物、对母马
wants to be first to the food. Or the mare.
还是对终点线
Or the finish line.
这些对他们最重要
That’s what matters to them.
对吗?
Ain’t that right?
没人这样做过,但不说明就不能这样做
It’s never been done. But that doesn’t mean it won’t work.
我们提供了32个高级股东专用的权利
We offer 32 shareholders exclusive breeding rights.
我们称之“VIP特权”
We call it “a select opportunity.”
爸爸应该不会喜欢这个词,每个多少钱?
Father would’ve loved that phrase. How much per?
十九万
190,000.
十九万?
A hundred and ninety?

Mm-hmm.
这比所有人花在驯马上的费用都要多,多得多
That’s more than anybody’s ever paid for a breeding share. Lot more.
这就是它吸引人的地方,塞思。赛马就是一种刺♥激♥
That’s what makes it exciting, Seth. Horseracing’s all about excitement.
他是一匹很好的马驹,但完全没有试过三岁赛马的比赛
He’s been a great colt, but he’s completely untried as a three-year-old.
所有勇武主宰的马驹,他们都速度很好,但缺乏耐力
And the sons of Bold Ruler, they’re long on speed, but short on stamina.
是啊,他的母马在生他的时候也年纪很大了,奥格登·菲普斯都知道这些
Yeah, and his mother was old when she had him and Ogden Phipps knew all that
他本可以选我们这匹马
when he could have chosen my colt.
但他没有,现在我们有秘书处了
But he didn’t. And now I’ve got Secretariat.
他得到了一匹马叫“错失良机”
And he’s got a horse named Missed Opportunity.
爸爸曾经经常说,有钱人有钱
Daddy used to always say that rich people are rich
是因为他们理财有方
because they’re smart with their money.
并且他们做事有原则
And they’re going to insist on a performance clause.
勇武主宰的马驹从未赢过三冠赛
No son of Bold Ruler has ever won a single Triple Crown race.
那是一英里半的比赛
That’s a mile-and-a-half distance
秘书处从未跑过那么长
that Secretariat’s never come close to running.
你会输掉养马场,赛马,一切
You’re going to lose the farm and the horse, everything.
这可不是小事,我从未这样做过
This is a big deal. I have never done anything like this before.
没人这样做过
Nobody has.
– 我能否问问为什么你叫我来吗? – 这个…
– You mind if I ask why you called me? – Well…
你父亲,他真的帮了我很多…
Your father, he really helped me and…
…努力工作能化解悲痛
…and work is good for grief.
算我一个
I’m in.
霍华德·凯克在一线 拜克·亨特在二线
Howard Keck on line one, Bunker Hunt on line two.
女士们先生们,开始工作吧!
Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines!
– 亨特先生?我是彭妮 切纳里 – 凯克先生,我是塞思 亚瑟·汉考克
– Mr. Hunt? Penny Chenery. – Mr. Keck, Seth Hancock.
我打电♥话♥来说明秘书处的VIP特权
I was calling about a select opportunity on Secretariat.
不,先生,他是非卖♥♥品
No, sir, he’s not for sale.
不,我们是要把他的饲养权利联合化
No, we are moving to syndicate his breeding rights.
这是很好的机会,一共有32个股份…
It’s a select opportunity. We have 32 shares…
是的,先生。这个机会非常难得
Yes, sir. It’s a great opportunity.
好的,我在路上了,一会见,再见
I will head that way. I’ll see you in a bit. All right, bye-bye.
塞思,你看,我玩赛马也好多年了
Look, Seth, I’ve been a part of lots of these deals,
但我从没为养一匹马花十九万
but I’ve never been asked to pay 190 grand for a breeding share.
没人会这样做
Nobody has.
告诉切纳里先生的女儿,她的开价就像
Tell Mr. Chenery’s little girl that she’s priced this colt
她的马已经赢得了三冠赛
like he’s already won the Triple Crown.
我代表彭妮 切纳里打电♥话♥来。我们过会儿再打,谢谢
I’m calling on behalf of Penny Chenery. We will call him back later. Thank you.
托德医生,我是伊莉莎白·哈姆
Dr. Todd, please. It’s Elizabeth Ham.
没有冒犯您的意思先生,但如果他变得更强了
No disrespect, sir, but if he gets any better,
你会想要加入的
you’re going to want to be in on this.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!