Daddy made a deal to breed Phipps’ best stallion with our two best mares.
当母马快要分娩了,它们就掷硬币来决定谁拿哪头马驹
When the mares are close to term, they toss a coin to see who gets which foal.
而下次掷硬币两周后就要进行了!
That coin toss is in two weeks!
那又如何?我完全不知道该挑哪匹马
What’s the difference? I don’t have any idea which horse to choose.
我看了种马的书籍,杰克。勇武主宰是公马
I’ve been through the stud books, Jack. Bold Ruler, that’s the sire.
它速度很快,但持久力不够
He was fast, but he couldn’t last over distances.
现在有两头母马,粗心马蒂尔达和皇家物
Now the two dams are Hasty Matilda and Somethingroyal.
粗心马蒂尔达八岁了,还很小
Hasty Matilda is eight years old. She’s still young.
母马在年轻的时候繁衍的后代比较好
Since broodmares tend to produce their best offspring while they’re young,
所以它是比较好的选择,因为皇家物已经十七岁了
that makes her foal the obvious choice, since Somethingroyal’s 17.
但它的上辈是Princequillo
But her grandsire was Princequillo.
它的持久力很好,杰克
He had great stamina, Jack.
– 彭妮?彭妮! – 你知道这代表着什么吗?
– Penny? Penny! – Do you know what that means?
– 什么? – 什么公马母马的
– What? – Sire and dam and Sam-l-Am?
这都是什么啊?拜托了,这里需要你,彭妮
What is this? Come on. We need you here, Penny.
回家吧
Come home.
等掷硬币结束
Right after the coin toss.
– 准备好了吗? – 好了
– You about ready? – We’re ready.
– 允许我打断一下 – 嗯嗯
– Excuse me just a minute. – Mmm-hmm
我来掷硬币,你还在等别人吗
I’ll be making the toss. Are you waiting on anybody else?
– 不,我一个人来的 – 我们准点进行
– No, I came alone. – We toss right on the hour.
– 祝你好运 – 谢谢
– Good luck to you. – Thank you.
你好,很高兴见到你亚瑟·汉考克先生
Hi. Good to see you, Mr. Hancock. How are you?
霍利斯 你在这里做什么?
Hollis. What are you doing here?
我给杰克打电♥话♥说了一下我们的税务状况,他告诉我说你解雇了我们的练马师
I called Jack about our tax issues, and he told me you fired our trainer.
你觉得我们养马场怎样才能卖♥♥出个好价钱
How do you expect we can fetch a good price on the farm
而在没有练马师的情况下
if we don’t have a training operation in place.
他对我们不忠,必须离开。你来这里就为了那个练马师?
He was dishonest. He had to go. You came down here because of a trainer?
这次掷硬币非常重要。这匹马驹可能会非常值钱
This coin toss is big. The foal could be worth a great deal.
我和一些菲普斯的人谈过了
I checked with some of Phipps’ people.
他们认为他会想要粗心马蒂尔达的马驹
They think he wants Hasty Matilda’s foal.
所以我们也选那个
So that’s who we’ll choose.
不霍利斯,我不这么认为
No, Hollis, I think that’s wrong.
皇家物的马驹可能会有速度和持久力的不同寻常的结合
Somethingroyal’s colt could have an unusual mix of speed and stamina.
菲普斯有世界上最好的赛马团队。你觉得你懂的比他们多?
Phipps has the best horse people in the world. You know more than they do?
拜托
Come on.
并无冒犯,切纳里女士
Please don’t take offense, Miss Chenery,
但你的父亲几乎从没赢过掷硬币
but your father almost never won our coin tosses.
我希望你继承到他的运气
And I do hope you’ve inherited his luck.
好的,都在这儿了
All right. We’re all here now.
菲普斯先生是勇武主宰的主人
Mr. Phipps has the call as the owner of Bold Ruler.
胜者有选择切纳里先生的两头母马的小马驹的优先权
The winner has the choice of the offspring of Mr. Chenery’s mares.
粗心马蒂尔达或者皇家物
Hasty Matilda or Somethingroyal.
没有疑问了吧?好吧,开始
Are we all in agreement here? All right. Here we go.
– 请选边 – 头像
– Call. – Heads.
头像,我选粗心马蒂尔达
Heads it is. I’ll go with Hasty Matilda.
切纳里女士,替我向你父亲问好
Miss Chenery. Please give my best to your father.
好吧,就这样了
Well, that’s that.
我得到了我想要的
But I got what I wanted.
你得到了没人想要的,回家吧
You got what nobody else wanted. Time to go home.
需要我载你回家吗?
Can I give you a lift home?
不了,谢谢,我开了爸爸的卡车过来
No, thank you, I have Daddy’s truck here.
– 好的 – 再见,公牛
– All right. – Bye, Bull.
那么,谁赢了这次的掷硬币?
So, who won the coin toss?
菲普斯,他选了粗心马蒂尔达
Phipps. He went with Hasty Matilda.
噢,他当然会这么选
Of course he did.
它快分娩的时候通知我
Call me when she’s ready to drop her foal.
混♥蛋♥,混♥蛋♥!他们都是大混♥蛋♥!
Pigs! Pigs. They’re all such pigs!
我们已经准备这出反战剧将近一年了
We’ve been putting on this Protest Pageant for a year.
现在老师说这个太政♥治♥化了,我们不能演了
Now the teacher says it’s too political and we can’t put it on.
什么叫不能?
What do you mean you can’t?
有规定说教会的活动不能和政♥治♥有关
They have a rule that theater projects can’t be political.
如果老师知道我们都做了什么…爸爸,我们能不能,比如,起诉他们?
When the teacher saw what we were doing… Dad, can we, like, sue them?
如果你没有把事情留到今天才说出来,他们可能不会对这个终止行为有法律责任
If you didn’t disclose until today, they couldn’t be held liable for a breach.
什么?
What?
亲爱的,听着,如果这对你真的很重要,你不会…
Honey, listen. If this is really important to you, you won’t…
– 特威迪家 – 切纳里小姐在吗?
– Tweedy residence. – Is Miss Chenery there?
– 我们以后聊 – 好吧
– Can we talk about this some more? – Yeah. OK. Fine.
彭妮,找切纳里小姐的
Penny. For Miss Chenery.
– 我是彭妮 – 我是艾迪
– This is Penny. – This is Eddie.
皇家物就要分娩了
Somethingroyal is about to drop her foal.
– 好的,谢谢 – 再见,切纳里小姐
– All right. Thank you. – Bye, Miss Chenery.
皇家物的小马驹就要诞生了
Somethingroyal’s foal is on its way.
使劲!加油!克里斯!游得好!
Kick hard! Come on! Kick, Chris! Come on. Good job!
嘿,约翰,你愿不愿意跟我一起来看一只小马驹的诞生?
Hey, John. How would you like to come with me and see a horse being born?
– 真的? – 是啊!
– Really? – Yeah!
好
OK.
它生过多少次了?
How many times has she done this?
13次
She did it 13 times.
你才四次
You’ve done it four.
是啊
Yes.
是小公马
It’s a boy. It’s a boy.
– 你见过这个吗? – 我从没见过
– Have you ever seen that? – No. Not me.
– 什么? – 一只刚出生的马驹这么快就站起来了
– What? – A colt stand up that fast.
嘿,爸爸,我给你带来了新朋友
Hey, Daddy. I brought you some company.
这是勇武主宰的马驹
This is the Bold Ruler colt, Daddy.
我们叫它大赤兔
We call him Big Red.
让它参加比赛吧,亲爱的
Let him run his race, darling.
往丹佛的航♥班♥226准备降落,入口33-D
Flight 226 to Denver is ready for boarding. Gate 33-D.
– 差不多好了 – 我知道这对你来说很难
– Almost done. – I know this is hard for you.
你觉得你能维持这种双线的生活多久?
How long do you think you can keep living two lives at once?
事情在变好,尤其是赤字
The yearlings are looking good, especially the red one.
我们减少了开支
We’ve cut expenses.
已经差不多持平了
We’re breaking even.
我觉得我们是要卖♥♥掉这个养马场而不是收支平衡
I thought the point was to sell the farm, not to break even.
当我大学毕业的时候 我就很喜欢那匹马
When I went off to college, I felt like that colt.
充满了希望
Full of promise.
充满了冒险精神,就像…
Full of adventure, like I could…
可以实现什么
…make something work.
我为了我们的家庭放弃了事业,而且…
I gave up a career to have our family, and…
这只马驹现在是我们家的一份子了
…this colt is part of our family now.
我只是想看见它跑起来
I just want to see him run.
所以两年下来…
So after two years of juggling all this…
…这不是结束,而是…开始?
…it isn’t ending, it’s just… beginning?
– 它感觉如何,吉米? – 就像一个大孩子在享受奔跑
– How’s he feel, Jimmy? – Just a big kid having fun out there.
它会更好的,是不是,赤兔?
He’ll figure it out. Huh, Red?
很好,很好
That’s good. That’s good.
听着,不要试着去改变它天生的步伐,好吗
Now, listen, don’t try to change his natural gait, OK?
不要强迫它
Don’t force him.
那么,劳林先生,你觉得如何?
Well, Mr. Laurin, what do you think?
它现在1100磅
I think he’s 1100 pounds of baby fat.
它吃得很多很频繁
He eats too much and too often.
它不能吃得更多的唯一原因是还要空出时间来睡觉
The only reason he doesn’t eat more is because he’s too busy sleeping.
它只做它想做的事
He only does what he wants to do exactly when he wants to do it.
它靠在起跑闸门上
He lays against the back of that starting gate
就像在加勒比海度假躺在吊床上
like he’s in a hammock in the Caribbean.
到他终于肯出闸了
And when he finally does get out of the gate,
却老是不懂大步奔跑
it takes him forever to find his stride.
还有问题吗?
Any other questions?
我有,你为你帽子花了多少钱?
I have one. How much did you spend on that hat?
现在这匹马的工作就是吃饭和睡觉
Right now this horse is all sleep and eat.
但它的内心有燃烧的火焰,是不是,赤兔?
But he’s got fire inside him. Ain’t that right, Red?
这匹马可能没法战胜一个水泥包裹的
That horse couldn’t beat a fat man encased in cement
被火车拽着的喝醉的大胖子
being drugged backwards by a freight train.
你应该知道的,劳林先生
Well, you should know, Mr. Laurin.
嗯
Mm-hmm.
你觉得这很有意思吧,我也觉得
You thought that was funny. I did, too.
我觉得我们可以用他的名字出赛,就用赤兔
I wish we could just race him under his name. Red.
赛马♥会♥坚持要一个独一无二的名字
The Jockey Club insists on unique names.
我一直给他们新名字,他们一直否定
I keep sending them, they keep rejecting them.
我也试过一些特别的名字,像Royao Line、Deo Volente…