Hollis, if you need any help on the tax issues you call me, anytime.
谢谢你杰克,就几天时间
Thanks, Jack. It will just be for a few days.
莎拉做的烙饼很好吃
Sarah makes great pancakes.
– 噢,不! – 它们太难吃了,我们会饿死的
– Oh, no! – They’re toxic. We won’t survive.
是啊,你会饿扁的
That’s right, you won’t.
确认霍利斯拿到那个权利委任书
Make sure Hollis has that power of attorney order.
– 家产现在处于非常脆弱的时期 – 我会的,我会一直和他在一起
– The estate’s vulnerable. – I will. I’ll stay on him.
妈妈,给外公一个拥抱吧,如果他醒过来
Mom, give Granddaddy a hug for us when he wakes up.
– 我会的,爱你们! – 爱你!
– I will. I love you! – Love you!
– 妈妈再见!- 好好的!
– Bye, Mom! – Be good!
会的!
We will!
哈姆女士 谢谢你
Miss Ham. Thank you.
两份糖,一份奶油?
Two sugars and cream?
你怎么知道?
How did you know?
– 你父亲就喜欢这个味道 – 噢
– It’s how your daddy likes it. – Oh.
你还好吧?
You doing all right, honey?
挺好的
Yes.
…不,但我会好起来的
No. But I’ll be all right.
这两匹马都怀孕了,是勇武主宰的
These two are both pregnant by Bold Ruler.
有好的赛马才有好的马驹
And great colts come from great sires.
哈姆女士?
Miss Ham?
我母亲一直提起你
My mother thought the world of you.
我父亲也一直全心地信任你
And my father’s trust in you was… is absolute.
我希望你留下
I hope you’ll stay.
其实,我也正要跟你说一样的话
Funny, I was about to tell you the same thing.
啊,谁告诉你把它牵出来的?
Al! Who the hell told you to bring this one out?
这匹马,把它牵回去,等它成年再牵出来
The sable, put it back. Bring out the yearling in 18.
– 是的,詹森先生 – 你是谁?
– Yes, sir, Mister Jansen. – Who are you?
彭妮·特威迪
Penny Tweedy.
– 彭妮 切纳里 – 噢,你就是那个女儿
– Penny Chenery. – Oh, you’re the daughter.
– 我得回去工作了 – 请问,詹森先生?
– Better get back to work. – Excuse me, Mr. Jansen?
我能和您聊几句吗?
Could I talk with you a moment? In private?
噢
Oh.
– 关于什么? – 我想问问那次的出♥售♥
– About what? – I wanted to ask you about that sale
那几匹母马,我母亲前几个礼拜阻止我父亲的
of those broodmares that my mother stopped a few weeks ago.
我知道你和你哥哥都不是这方面的人,你也正在承受亲人离去的痛苦
I know you and your brother aren’t horse people and you suffered a loss,
你现在确实不需要担心这些事
but you don’t need to worry about this right now.
其实我想知道
Apparently, I do
因为它们是我父亲的马,而且这次出♥售♥是一次不成功的交易
since they’re my father’s horses, and the sale would’ve been bad business.
来到牲口棚来影响一个训练师的工作才是不妥当的
It’s bad business to come to a barn, interrupt a trainer’s work.
– 如果你不想留下它 – 我知道了
– Not if you want to keep him. – I understand.
– 那关于那个买♥♥卖♥♥? – 买♥♥卖♥♥怎么了
– But about that sale? – What about it?
它们的价值是他出价的两倍
They were worth twice what we were going to sell them for.
我昨晚睡不着,所以我查了一些书籍
I couldn’t sleep last night, so I checked the books
今天早上我也打了一些电♥话♥来确认
and I made some calls this morning to be sure.
像你说的,我不拥有这些马。你父亲需要卖♥♥了它们
Like you say, I don’t own the horses. Your father has to sell them.
但作为一个练马师,你应该知道它们的价值
But as trainer, you would know their worth
而它们就要被卖♥♥掉了
and that they were about to be sold.
我很奇怪为什么是我母亲而不是你来阻止他卖♥♥掉它们
I’m wondering why it had to be my mother who stopped the sale and not you.
你父亲吗?自己去问他吧
The old man, your father? Ask him.
我在问你,我父亲已卧病在床好长时间了
I’m asking you! My father’s been sick for quite a long time now.
他们雇你来照顾他的事业
You’ve been paid to look out for his interests.
我就是这么做的!这个地方每况愈下跟我没有关系
And I do! Just because this place is going downhill it ain’t my fault.
这个买♥♥卖♥♥是和奥克沃思养马场做的?
The sale was going to be to Oakworth Farms?
今天早上我得知奥克沃思养马场主已经在讨论
I learned this morning that the owners of Oakworth were already talking
把我们的马以两倍于他们付给我们的价格卖♥♥掉
about selling our horses for twice the price they were going to pay us.
– 你也是他们的练马师吧? – 我并不是这里专职的练马师
– You train for them, too, don’t you? – I don’t have an exclusive deal here.
我有时候也为他们工作,怎么了?
I work for them sometimes. So what?
所以如果你和他们达成一个协议
So if you arranged a deal
把这四匹马以市场价的一半卖♥♥给他们
that gave them four horses at half their market value
他们在事成之后给你分红
and they paid you back, plus an extra share on everything they made,
这就不是忠诚问题了,这是诈骗
that wouldn’t just be disloyal. That would be committing fraud.
你觉得你是谁?就这样过来指控我?
Who the hell do you think you are? Coming here, accusing me?
只是一个知道法律知识的人,我知道我是对的
Someone who knows enough law to know she’s right.
我不是什么都不懂的。拿好你的东西,离开我的养马场!
And I’m not “missy” anything. Get your things and get off my farm!
我有合同的,我会控告你
I have a contract, and I’ll sue you.
如果我再听到你的名字,我会把你送进监狱
If I ever even hear your name again, I will see that you go to prison!
公牛亚瑟·汉考克在哪里吃午饭?
Where does Bull Hancock eat lunch?
在他的马♥会♥,每天
At his club, every day.
不过那里只有男士能进
But it’s gentlemen only.
这位小姐?嗯… 小姐,你不能…
Uh, miss? Uh… Miss, you can’t…
抱歉亚瑟·汉考克先生
I’m sorry, Mr. Hancock.
我告诉她了这是男士专用的马♥会♥,但她就是…
I told her this was a gentleman’s club, and she just…
没关系的,布伦达,没关系
It’s all right, Brenda. It’s all right.
谢谢你,塞思。打扰了,抱歉
Thank you, Seth. I apologize for interrupting.
没关系 我在这里有朋友 切纳里女士
It’s fine. I have friends here, Miss Chenery.
谢谢
Thank you.
那么,怎么样了?
Well, how’s it going?
我解雇了厄尔·詹森
I fired Earl Jansen.
干得不错
Do tell.
你是要卖♥♥了这些马,还是要留下它们?
Does that mean you’re selling the horses or keeping them?
养马场情况很不好,就像爸爸一样
The farm’s in bad shape, as is Daddy.
但我不会以低于它们价值的价格卖♥♥出
But I’m not willing to sell it unless I get what it’s worth.
马场需要一个很严格的监管
Well, horse farm needs a strong hand on the reins,
把厄尔·詹森解雇真是挺厉害的
but the hand that threw Earl Jansen out the door looks pretty strong to me.
我在丹佛还有家人
Well, I’ve got a family back in Denver.
我需要一个好的练马师来让一切恢复正常
I need a good trainer just to get things stabilized.
你可以去找卢西恩·劳林。他是一个法裔加拿大人
You need to talk to Lucien Laurin. He’s a French Canadian.
穿着很有特点
Dresses like Super Fly.
他正在试着退休
He’s trying to retire.
“试着”是什么意思?
What do you mean, “trying”?
劳林先生?
Mr. Laurin?
打扰了,我是彭妮 切纳里,克里斯·切纳里的女儿
Excuse me. I’m Penny Chenery, Chris Chenery’s daughter.
嗯,我需要一个练马师。公牛亚瑟·汉考克建议我来找你…
And, um, I need a trainer. Bull Hancock suggested that I find you…
是的,公牛给我打了电♥话♥,但是我告诉你
Yeah, Bull called me, but I tell you,
我已经厌倦了照顾那些半吨♥重的顽固动物
I’m tired of babysitting half-ton animals who are nearly as stubborn
并且和它们的主人一样笨
and stupid as their owners are.
我已经对赛马不感兴趣了,都不怎么看了
I’ve lost interest in racing. Don’t even follow it anymore.
我现在情况比较窘迫
Well, I’m in a bit of a tight spot.
我只是希望你能试一试
I wonder if you might just try it
– 就几个月,看看… – 我不需要试什么
– for a few months and see how… – I don’t need to try anything,
练马师不会去一个地方只待几个月
and trainers don’t go anywhere to work for a few months.
– 他们只去有好马的地方 – 我们有很多好马
– They go where there is a good horse. – We have plenty of good horses.
不,你没有,你可能有一两匹现在看上去不错的
No, you don’t. You have one or two that might be worth the time,
但你对于自己需要做什么一无所知
but you’re a little short on people over there who know what they’re doing.
这就是我为什么要来找你,劳林先生
Well, that’s why I’ve come to see you, Mr. Laurin.
女士,我觉得你没听懂我的意思。一个练马师是靠佣金为生的
Miss, you’re not hearing me. A trainer makes his living off commissions.
从售价抽百分之十,从赢马奖金抽百分之十
Ten percent off sales, ten percent off winners.
要得到一个顶级练马师,你需要一匹顶级的赛马
To get a top trainer, you need a top horse.
你得回去找公牛问问他是否有别的主意
You’re going to have to go back to Bull and see if he has any other ideas.
劳林先生,我们有两匹马驹,是勇武主宰的幼仔
Mr. Laurin, two of our mares are pregnant by Bold Ruler
它那一代最好的种马
who is the finest stallion of his generation.
– 躲开! – 嘿!
– Fore! – Hey!
– 躲开! – 击球时候看着点!
– Fore! – Watch where you’re hitting!
是啊,我喊了“躲开”了,你这个笨蛋。“躲开”就是这个用处
Well, I yelled “fore,” you idiot. That’s what “fore” means.
你也看到我是怎样的人了,切纳里女士
You see how I am, Miss Chenery
当我将自己置于一个窘迫的情境里
, when I put myself in a position to do something poorly?
我很担心你的养马场,我会一直喊“躲开”的
And I’m afraid at your stable, I’d be yelling “fore” all day long.
替我向你父亲问好
Give my regards to your father.
躲开!
Fore!
– 你什么时候回来? – 快了
– When are you coming back? – Soon.
我得跟你谈谈掷硬币的事
I need to talk to you about this coin toss thing.
– 掷硬币? – 杰克,听着
– Coin toss? – Jack, listen.
种马比母马要花费得多得多。应该说,它们更加独特
Stallions cost more than mares. No, they’re more glamorous.
但是爸爸知道一匹好马
But Daddy knew that a great horse
从母马来的机率和从一匹种马来的机率是一样的
comes just as much from the mare as the stallion.
他研究了一些母马,这是他最大的成果
He invested in mares, which is the first smart thing he did.
第二个成果就是他和奥格登·菲普斯达成交易
Second smart thing he did was he made a deal with Ogden Phipps.
菲普斯?那个美国首富?
Phipps? Richest man in America?
是的,爸爸没有付种马费
Yes. Instead of paying a stud fee,
他准备用我们两头最好的母马来饲养菲普斯最好的种马