我父亲的家人来自墨西哥
And my father’s family is Mexican.
爷爷从墨西哥过来的
My grandfather came from Mexico.
墨西哥人来到底特律 在汽车厂工作
The Mexican came to Detroit to work in the auto factories,
所以我们都是工人阶级 蓝领工人 辛苦劳动
so we were working-class people, blue-collar workers, hard labor.
我们搬过26次家 有些房♥子都没有卧室
Um, we lived in 26 different homes and some houses didn’t have bedrooms.
还有些房♥子没有浴室
Some houses didn’t have bathrooms.
它们都不算是家 只能说是我们住过的地方
And they weren’t homes. They were just places that we lived.
但人们贫穷 没有什么家产
But just because people are poor or have little
并不代表他们的梦想就不大
doesn’t mean that, you know, their dreams aren’t big
不代表精神就不富裕
and their soul isn’t rich, you know,
但这就是阶级和偏见的来源
and that’s where the classes and the prejudice come from
就是你和我是不同的
is that there is a difference between you and me,
他们和我们是不同的
and there’s a difference between them and us.
《最恶心的歌♥》 罗德里格兹
A Most Disgusting Song by Rodriguez
我在各种各样的地方表演过
I’ve played every kind of gig there is to play now
有同志酒吧 招♥妓♥酒吧 摩托车葬礼
I’ve played faggot bars, hooker bars, motorcycle funerals
还有歌♥剧院 演奏厅 施工到一半的房♥子
In opera houses, concert halls, halfway houses
我发现这些所有我表演过的地方
Well, I found that in all these places that I’ve played
所有看我表演的人 都是一类
All the people that I’ve played for are the same people
所以如果你继续听 或许能在这首歌♥里听到你认识的人
So if you’ll listen, maybe you’ll see someone you know in this song
最恶心的歌♥
A most disgusting song
他只是做普通木工的工作
He wasn’t just doing your average carpentry, you know,
但真的把整个房♥子都打扫了
he was really cleaning out the house.
做一些别人都不愿做的事
I mean, doing work that no one else wanted to do.
真的 没人愿意做的
Really, no one else wanted to do that work.
他会带着一身的尘土和木屑回到家
He would come home, he would be covered in dust and din’, paint chips,
在长长的一整天工作以后
from his day’s work. Long days.
我曾经在楼下见过他背着一个冰箱
I saw him take refrigerators down on his back, downstairs.
这就是他日常的工作
It was just a day at work for him,
但我知道他比我认识的很多父亲
but I knew he was a harder worker than a lot of
都要更努力地工作
other fathers that I knew of.
这是一个让你没法拥有太多梦想的城市
It’s a city that tells you not to dream big,
不要去期待太多
not to expect anything more.
但是他经常带我去
But he always took me to places
只有上层精英人士才能去的地方
that only certain elite people would be able to go.
他似乎是在告诉我 我可以去任何地方
So, he kind of instilled in me that I can go anywhere I want,
桑德拉·罗德里格兹-肯尼迪 二女儿
不管银行账户有多少钱 我都可以去
regardless of what my bank statement says, and I’m going, you know.
他就是这样的人 给我展现了很多顶端的风采
So, that’s kinda how he was. He showed me the top floors of places.
我想”我和他们一样棒”
I said, “I’m just as good as they are,” you know.
他在大学里主修哲学
He majored in philosophy in university.
爸爸让我们接触了很多艺术
My dad gave us a lot of exposure to the arts.
他会带我们去图书馆
He would let us go into the libraries
博物馆 科技中心
and the museums and the science centres,
那里就成了我们的日托班
and where that was our day care,
我们在圣地亚哥热维拉的博物馆大厅内穿行
and we toured the halls of the museum in San Diego Rivera
都是毕加索 德拉克洛瓦…
and, you know, all Picasso and Delacroix and…
我们开始了解到城市以外的生活
We began to learn of life outside of the city,
就是从书 绘画 音乐中学来的
and that’s in books and paintings and in music.
《生活方式》 罗德里格兹
Lifestyles by Rodriguez
法官们的同情心
The judges with meter-maid hearts
和他们泛滥的正义感
Or their supermarket justice starts
孩子们被困在城市
Frozen children inner city
纸片雨中行走的人
Walkers in the paper rain
等待永远不会来的骑士
Waiting for those knights that never came
被劫持着还在强装美丽
The hijacked trying so hard to be pretty
夜里的雨拍打着我的窗
Night rains tap at my window
想法如风飘散
Winds of my thoughts passing by
我试着告诉她 却换来嘲笑
She laughed when I tried to tell her
你好最终变再见
Hello only ends in goodbye
我是16岁开始表演的
Well, I started playing when I was 16,
问题是 那把吉他是全家共有的
and the thing is, it was a family guitar,
我在市区很多酒吧和俱乐部都表演过 小厅
and I played a lot of bars in the city and clubs in the city, small rooms.
然后就见到了麦克·希尔多和丹尼斯·科菲
And I met Mike Theodore and Dennis Coffey
他们来俱乐部看我演出
and they came to the club to see me play.
我在一个叫”下水道”的地方表演
I had a gig at a place called The Sewer,
就在底特律河旁边
right out by the Detroit River,
然后我们就从克拉伦斯·阿凡特 那里拿到了唱片合约
and then we got a record deal from Clarence Avant,
“下水道”俱乐部 1969年
一切就是这样开始的
so that’s how it started.
早期的那些年…工作很辛苦
But all those early years were, you know… lot of work.
我当时在一个克莱斯勒的工地 叫道奇缅因
I was at a Chrysler plant called Dodge Maine,
同时还在底特律的埃尔顿路和林奇路做工
and I also worked at Eldon and Lynch Road in Detroit.
在热力部门工作 之类的
Worked in the heat treat department. Stuff like that.
很多重体力活
A lot of heavy labor.
但那一年很棒 《冷事实》那一年
But it was a good year for me. This Cold Fact thing.
我实现了一直以来的目标 有一个实在的产出了
I had achieved what I was trying to do, is to get a product, you know.
我觉得 一切也都进行的很顺利
And it was going very well, I thought, you know.
什么感觉呢 就是有一项成就 变成现实的感觉
How did it feel? A great feeling of accomplishment. Actualization.
你觉得这张专辑怎么样
Did you believe that it was a good album?
我已尽我所能
I did my best with it.
评价也挺不错…
The reviews were good on it, and…
嗯 我觉得它挺好
Yeah, I thought it was good.
虽然你不该问我这个问题的
I’m not the one to ask that, though.
不该问我的
Ask that question to.
但是请继续吧
But you go ahead, yeah.
它卖♥♥不动你有很吃惊吗
Were you surprised that it didn’t sell?
我吃惊吗
Was I surprised?
这是音乐产业 所以没有什么保证的
It’s the music business so there’s no guarantees, you know?
我告诉他”你比猫王还火”
So I told him, “You’re bigger than Elvis, ”
他问”什么意思”
and he said, “What do you mean?”
我说”在南非 你比猫王还要受欢迎”
I said, “In South Africa you are more popular than Elvis Presley. ”
然后他就停住了
And there was this pause,
我感到他可能要生气了要挂电♥话♥
and I sensed he thought it was a crank call and he was gonna hang up.
我就说”听着 等等 听我说”
So I said, “Listen, wait. Listen, listen to me, wait.
“我向你保证 你过来吧 一定不会失望的”
“I promise you, just come here. You won’t be disappointed.”
他当时正在木桥的工地辛苦工作
He’s working his ass off in Woodbridge.
突然有天他拿着一个牛奶盒子 上面印着自己的照片
One day, be brought this picture of himself on a milk carton.
他说”埃莫森 看看这个 有人在找我呢”
And he’d say, “Emmerson, look at this. You know, they’re looking for me.”
我说”真的 为什么呢”
I said, “Really? Why is that, Rodriguez?”
第二天他就说”埃莫森 我要去巡回演出了”
Next day he says, “Emmerson, I gotta go on tour.”
我说”拜托 罗德里格兹 你不会是认真的吧”
I said, “Come on, Rodriguez, are you serious?”
因为我是记者 所以我很怀疑
Because I’m a journalist, I doubted it.
在宇宙的合理范围内这种事情是不会发生的
That son’ of thing does not happen in the rational universe.
因为它跟自然和上帝的法则都违背啊
It does not happen. It’s against the laws of God and nature.
他要来这里巡回 肯定是个冒名顶替的
This guy is coming to tour here, he must be an imposter.
这就是个巧妙的公♥关♥骗局
It’s a clever public relations scam.
瑞恩·马兰 记者 作家
其实都算不上是巧妙 它太愚蠢了…
Actually, not even a clever public relations scam. it’s a stupid…
因为太明显了 这不可能是真的
‘Cause it so obviously can’t be true.
只有蠢材才会相信…
Only idiots would believe it. They…
但是我错了
But I was wrong.
1998年3月2日
马上要下飞机了 我们都很紧张
We were always anxious, of course, to get off the plane.
也是一次漫长的旅途
That was a long flight.
终于下了飞机 我们把行李背在背上
But we got off the plane and we put our bags on our backs
行李挺沉 我们就在机场慢慢走着
and, you know, they were heavy and we just kept moving towards the airport.
然后突然 两三辆加长豪华车停在面前
And suddenly, three, two limousines pulled up
我们肯定这车不是接我们的
and we were sure that they weren’t for us.
只能是绕着走了
We were like kind of walking around them.
想”噢我们千万别挡了别人的路”
Like, “Oh, we better get out of these people’s way
“因为坐豪华车的都是大人物啊”
“’cause they’re important people in limos.”
但它们是来接我们的 一切就是如此开始了
But they were for us. And that’s when it began.
完全是另一个世界了 另一个世界
It was all another world. It was another world.
就像人们见到麦当娜一样…
Just like you would see people… over Madonna or…
我们一出现就看到各种狗仔队…
Like stepping out into the wind and the paparazzi and all the…
还有各种助手 工作人员 都来欢迎他
you know, the production assistants and everybody are there to welcome him
带我们去VIP套房♥
and take us into the VIP suite.
还有白色地毯 这可是…
The white carpeting. You know, that was something that
我们从没想过自己会踏上这洁白的地毯
never would we ever even dream of walking on white carpeting,
尤其是我们还穿着鞋呢
especially in your shoes.
他们用豪华车载着他开往市区
They put him in a limo and they drove him into the city.