独家新闻
不要为乔·斯特劳博悲伤
Don’t mourn for Joe Strombel.
乔·斯特劳博的一生很辉煌
Joe Strombel led a full life.
他是个典型的新闻工作者
A newspaperman in the best tradition.
在新闻界中有很高的声望
A great credit to the fourth estate.
不管是在战区爆♥炸♥的炸♥弹♥
It didn’t matter if the bombs in the war zone were falling.
不管是多大的政♥治♥丑闻
It didn’t matter how high up the political scandal went,
不管有多少大企业
or how many big corporations
或者小的投机者依靠他
or small-time racketeers leaned on him.
无论有多大风险 只要有新闻存在
Whatever the risk, if there was a story there,
乔就一定会追踪 而且他总能从中挖掘出什么
Joe went after it. And he usually got it.
他关于查尔斯王子的那篇报道
Well, I was with him when the story broke about Prince Charles,
使他成为不受王室欢迎的人
and that made him persona non grata with the Royal Family.
除了黛安娜王妃 他们一直都是好朋友
Except with Diana. They always remained good friends.
看来他还是喜欢女人的
He did love a woman.
你知道吗 他是从警♥察♥记者做起的
Hey, did you know he started as a police reporter?
是吗 他可是个好手
Did he? Yeah, he was a bloody good one.
最好的警♥察♥记者之一 也许是最顶尖的
One of the best. Maybe the best.
我有一次和乔在阿富汗被抓了
I got trapped with Joe once in Afghanistan.
是吗
Yeah?
当时我们随时都有被塔♥利♥班♥枪决的危险
And we were going to be shot any moment by the Taliban, until,
结果乔向其中的一个人行贿
typically, Joe found someone to bribe
我们才得以逃脱
so we could escape.
-不是用他自己的钱吧 -不是 不是 后来报销了
-Not with his own money, though. -No, no, he got it on expenses.
-多报了10% -10%
-Plus 10%. -Ten percent.
不过我们确实是穿着长袍逃脱的
But it did involve us getting out wearing burkas.
我们活下来继续写新闻
And, well, we lived to write another day.
-每个人都爱他 -嗯
-Everyone loved him. -Yeah.
英国情报部门可不是
Not always at British intelligence.
是的 但他总比别人提前得到消息
No, but he got the information before anyone else.
是的 没错 理查·尼克松也不如他快
Yeah, he did. That’s right. Not Richard Nixon, though.
乔 无论你现在身在何处 没有你整个世界都不同了
Well, wherever you are now, Joe, it won’t be the same without you, mate.
敬乔 敬乔·斯特劳博
To Joe. Joe Strombel.
我们这是去哪
Where are we headed?
这个对你有用吗
Does this mean anything to you?
他不会回答的 我试过了
He doesn’t give answers. Tried it.
乔·斯特劳博 死于冠状动脉血栓
Joe Strombel. Coronary thrombosis.
我叫简·库克
Jane Cook.
-你是干什么的 -记者
-So, what do you do? -Reporter.
-嗯 -你呢
-Hmm. -You?
嗯…我曾是彼得·莱曼的私人秘书
I’m… Well, I was personal secretary to Peter Lyman.
-莱曼勋爵的儿子 -是啊 令人印象很深的年轻人
-Lord Lyman’s son. -Yes, impressive young man.
-你认识他 -不认识 只是听说过
-You knew him? -No, only by reputation.
但是我觉得他是个不错的年轻人
But I like what I know.
我想他肯定会在政界大展宏图的
I think he’s got a real future in politics.
你是怎么死的
How did you die?
我认为我是被人下毒的
I think I was poisoned.
你认为
You think?
为何
Why?
我相信我是被人下毒了
I believe I was poisoned
因为我马上就要证实一个可怕的猜测
because I was on the verge of confirming a terrible suspicion.
是吗 什么猜测
Yes? What suspicion is that?
彼得·莱曼是连环杀手
That Peter Lyman is the serial killer
也就是警方所谓的塔罗牌杀手
known to the police as the Tarot Card Killer.
什么
What?
我以为你知道那个案子
I assume you’re aware of that case?
对 我两年前曾写过一篇报道 那
Yeah, I wrote an article two years ago,
时塔罗牌连环杀人案刚开始
when the Tarot killings first started.
凶手是彼得·莱曼 我的天啊
But Peter Lyman? My God.
到底是什么让你怀疑
What on earth made you suspect
这个富有 年轻 英俊 完美的年轻人
this rich, young handsome, above-reproach citizen?
你还记得上一起谋杀案吗 警方找到了一条线索
You remember the last murder? The police found a clue.
是的 一枚袖扣 我在报纸上看到了
Yes, a cufflink. I read about it in the paper.
很罕见的古董 是吧
Unusual antique, wasn’t it?
嗯 很稀有的装饰品
Yep. Very rare Art Deco.
彼得就有那么一对
Peter had the exact pair.
塔罗牌杀手可能也有啊
So could have the Tarot Killer.
这世界充满巧合
The world is full of coincidences.
是的 但是我发现彼得只剩下一个袖扣
Yeah, except I noticed that Peter only had one left.
另一个丢了
He’d lost the other.
尽管如此
Still,
尽管你的结论有点操之过急
although it’s a tantalizing thought.
你有没有通知警方 还是这件事太困难了
Did you inform the police, or was that too sticky?
我不知道该怎么办 所以我给我的律师打了电♥话♥
I didn’t know what to do, so I phoned my lawyer
我向他征求意见 是否要向警♥察♥报告
and I asked his advice on whether to report it or not.
我想我在电♥话♥里听到了滴答声
And I thought I heard this click on the phone,
就像有人在监听
you know, like someone had been listening.
后来晚些时候 喝过茶之后
Later that day, after tea,
我突然就死了
I died suddenly.
这很可疑
That is suspicious.
我的天啊 彼得·莱曼
My God, Peter Lyman.
难以置信 但如果他真是塔罗牌杀手
Hard to believe, but if he did turn out to be the Tarot Killer,
可真是个大新闻啊
what a story.
当你告诉我你是记者时
I knew you’d appreciate it when you said
我就知道你会感谢我提供的这个线索的
you were a reporter.
这可真是特大的独家新闻啊 我是第一个得到的
This would be a dynamite scoop. And I got it first.
嗯 但是很不幸 你要去的地方没有第一
Yeah. Unfortunately, where you’re headed there is no first.
只有最后
There’s only last.
廷斯利先生 我很喜欢你上一部电影
Mr. Tinsley! Loved your last picture.
你挑选演员可真有一套
You really have a way with actors.
你可能是…请等一下
Think you could maybe… Please wait!
-廷斯利先生 -嗯
-Mr. Tinsley? -Yeah.
-我是桑德拉·波兰斯基 -谁
-Sondra Pransky. -Who?
桑德拉·波兰斯基 我是从阿达尔来的新闻系学生
Sondra Pransky. I’m the journalism student from Adair.
我给您写过信 想为校报做一篇你的专访
I wrote to you about getting an interview for the school newspaper.
哦…
Oh…
你…不 是您的秘书说…
And you, well, your secretary, actually, because… Not you.
我是说 我知道电影导演有多忙
I mean, I know how busy film directors get and all.
但你说过如果我来伦敦游玩的话 您会同意的
But you said if I was in London visiting, then you would, you know,
现在我来了 真是太好了
and here I am, which is fantastic.
我带来您的信了
I think I have your letter, actually.
-看 现在我有点忙 -就是这个
-See, right now I’m a bit tied up. -Here it is!
就是这个 这对我太重要了
Here it is. This is so great for me.
您在罗切斯特有很多粉丝
I mean, you’ve got a huge following in Rochester.
那边现在很冷
It gets very cold there.
随着你新片秋季上映…
With your new movie coming out in the fall, and… Well…
实际上…
Actually,
我想知道您能否回答我几个问题
I was wondering if we could just ask you a couple of questions.
-您介意吗 -好吧 好吧 不过我们得快点
-Do you mind? -Okay, okay, but we got to be real quick.
我为报纸写文化版面
I write for the cultural part of the paper.
我想写几个更严肃的话题
I’m looking to move into more serious pieces.
你说你想写更严肃的话题…
And when you say something more serious, that’s…
您真想知道
You really want to know?
原来我没打算上大学
Well, originally, I wasn’t going to go to college.
我想像我姐姐贝弗莉一样成为牙医
I was going to become a dental hygienist like my sister, Beverly.
别误解 这职业很好
And, don’t get me wrong, it’s a great profession.
我很看重牙齿和牙龈的 尤其是牙龈
I have very high respect for teeth and gums, particularly gums.
我家人都从事牙齿校正行业 但…
My whole family’s in orthodontics. But…
-但什么 你是来这度假的 -是的
-And what? You’re vacationing here? -Oh, yes.
我和这的一个贵族英国家庭处得很好
Oh, I’m just very friendly with a very upper class British family.
我们一家当时在棕榈滩度假
Our families vacationed in Palm Beach together.
我妈赢了到棕榈滩观光的机会
My mother won a visit to Palm Beach
我和那个家族的孙女薇薇安成了好朋友
and I became friends with their granddaughter, Vivian.
她很可爱 她将和我们住一起…
She’s so lovely. She’ll stay with us…
-还要吗 -哦 谢谢
-Another? -Oh, thanks.
我和他上了床却没对他进行专访
So I slept with him and I didn’t even get the interview.
我是说 我算是什么记者
I mean, what kind of a reporter am l?
性的方面怎么样 告诉我全部细节
How was the sex? Give me all the details.
谁知道呢 我喝醉了 什么都记不得了
Who knows? I was so drunk, I don’t even remember.
我只记得刚完事
All I know is that the second it was over,
他就接到一个电♥话♥ 然后马上去了泰国