No, I’ll pick it up.
不用了 我自己拿
I need to get a passport.The company’s sending me to Cairo.
我需要个护照 公♥司♥要派我去开罗
Are you in oil? Military.
你做石油 军事
You’re listening to your favorite oldies station in Norfolk, Virginia
你现在听到的是你最喜欢的老歌♥频道 来自弗吉尼亚州的罗福(弗州地名)
Ralph, the cat needs to be fed.
拉尔夫 你需要喂猫
Need anything else?
还需要什么别的吗
No. I’ll call the booth again in two weeks. Okay.
不用了 两个星期内我会再打电♥话♥的 好的
Listen, your mother
听着 你母亲
She died four weeks ago. Cancer.
她四周前去世了 癌症
Your father was with her.
你父亲当时在她身边
You were just too hot to contact.
你当时有麻烦 联♥系♥不上你
He said to tell you not to worry about him.He’s okay.
他让我告诉你不要担心他 他很好
Sorry.
我很遗憾
Okay, who wants lunch?
好吧 谁要午饭
Me.

How’s tuna?
金枪鱼怎么样
Yecch.

There’s a kid in my class who traded me Duke Snider for Valenzuela.
我班里有个人 要拿杜克·斯奈德(美国棒球球员)的卡和我换巴伦苏埃拉(墨西哥棒球球员)的
Yeah, so?
嗯 所以呢
So, he’s a jerk.
所以他是个混♥蛋♥
Snider’s worth about $20.
斯奈德的卡值20美元
He’s from the Brooklyn Dodgers.
他是布鲁克林道奇队的
He’s old.
他老了
This card is an antique.
这卡是个古董
Can I have white bread? Just eat it.
我能要白面包么 吃吧
Hey, kid.
嘿 孩子
You. What’s your name?
你 你叫什么
Michael.
麦克
Why are you asking him that? He’s not used to it yet.
你为什么问他这个 他还不习惯他的新名字
He better get used to it fast.
他最好快一点习惯它
What’s my name?
我叫什么
Paul. Paul what?
保罗 保罗什么
Paul Manfield. Spell it.
保罗·曼菲尔德 拼出来
M- A-N
M- A-N
F- I-E-L-D.
F- I-E-L-D.
What’s your mother’s name? Just stop it.
你妈妈叫什么 别问了
I’m waiting.
我等你说
Cynthia.
辛西娅
And your brother?
你弟弟呢
Stephen, all right?
史蒂芬 行了吧
What the hell’s your problem?
你♥他♥妈♥的出什么毛病了
I got some clothes in the city.
我在市内找了些衣服
You can wear the thrift shop ones.The new ones
你可以穿二手店的这些 新的这些衣服
have to be washed first.
要先洗一洗
Yes, sir!
遵命 先生
Sorry about this afternoon.
今天下午 对不起
Sophie’s dead.
我母亲苏菲去世了
What?
什么
A month ago. The big “C.”
一个月前 癌症
Oh, babe.
哦 宝贝
I talked to her after the feds came to tell her we were okay.
联邦调查局来之后 我告诉她我们没事
She never let on.
她从来没泄露我们的消息
I can just see her standing there with Morris.
我都能看见她和莫里斯站在那
Two fat old Jews, ex-Bolsheviks
两个胖胖的老犹太人 前布共♥产♥党
talking to their red-diaper baby on a phone from a Laundromat
在洗衣房♥给他们红尿布(指共♥产♥党后代)的孩子打电♥话♥
and she’s fucking dying.
而她那时候已经快要去世
That lady loved me.
那女人很爱我
Last winter, when they arranged for her to meet me in Chicago
去年冬天 当他们安排我母亲在芝加哥见我的时候
she flew there on an hour’s notice
她在收到通知的一个小时之内就飞了过来
alone, in a blizzard.
一个人 还下着暴风雪
She’s terrified of flying.
她很害怕坐飞机的
She was green when she got off the plane.
她下飞机的时候脸都绿了
I took her over to the lounge to talk
我带她到休息室聊天
and we sat in a corner and I said “I wish it was easier. ”
我们坐在角落里 我说”我希望事情容易一点”(I wish it was easier)
“You wish it were easier ” she says.
她说”应该说‘我希望事情容易一点(You wish it were easier)’”
She’s correcting my grammar
她竟然在纠正我的语法错误
like I’m one of the kids she teaches.
就像我是她教的小孩子一样
There’s nothing left to go back to now.
现在已经没有让我们回去的动力了
There’s only us and the boys.
只有我们和孩子们了
We’re all that’s left.
只剩下我们了
We must
我们必须
We have to hang on to each other.
我们必须依靠彼此
May I see his records?
我能看他的档案吗
I’m afraid I lost his records.
抱歉 我弄丢了
They gave them to me and I know I packed them
他们把档案给我了 我也记得装上了
but I just can’t find them.
可是我就是找不到了
I’m always losing things, right?
我一直丢东西 是不是
My husband says I’d probably lose my head if it weren’t screwed on.
我丈夫说 要不是拧上了 我连头都能丢
But I can write for a copy.
但是我可以重新做一份
Make sure to write for those records okay?
记得做一份档案 好吗
You can have two electives.
你可以选两节选修课
Music, typing, mechanics, computer programming, or home economics?
音乐 打字 机械 电脑编程 还是家政
Music.
音乐
And? And?
还有呢 还有
Home economics. His dad’s a cook.
家政吧 他爸爸是厨师
Find an empty seat, Mr. Manfield.
找个空座位 曼菲尔德先生
All right, listen up, everyone.
好的 听着 各位
Listen again, please.
再听一遍
Now, can anyone tell me the difference between these two pieces?
好的 现在有谁能告诉我这两段音乐有什么区别
Yes?
你说
One is pop and the other is classical.
一个是流行 另一个是古典
At least we know you’re not deaf.
至少我知道你不是聋子
How about you, Mr. Spaulding?
你觉得呢 斯伯丁先生
Could you give us a deeper distinction?
能不能给我们区分的更深一点
The first one’s bad
第一个很烂
and the second one’s good.
第二个很好
That’s a matter of opinion, not a fact.
这是个观点 不是事实
I’m sure there are several people in this room who would disagree with you.
这屋子里一定有好几个人不同意你的看法
How about you, Mr. Manfield?
你觉得呢 曼菲尔德先生
Would you care to venture a guess?
敢不敢试着说一下
You can’t dance to Beethoven.
你没法跟着贝多芬的音乐跳舞
That’s very good, Manfield.Do you listen to much Beethoven?
很好 曼菲尔德先生 你听很多贝多芬的音乐
No, not really.
不 没有
How did you identify this piece?
那你怎么听出这段是贝多芬
I guess I’ve heard some.
我猜我之前听过这段吧
I’m sure the rest of the class can identify the other composer.
我确定班里的其他人也能听出另一个作者
You’re quite correct.abcYou can’t dance to Mr. Beethoven.
说的很对 没法跟着贝多芬的音乐跳舞
Can you tell me why, Mr. Manfield?
能告诉我为什么吗 曼菲尔德先生
Because the Beethoven piece
因为贝多芬的这段
doesn’t use a constant rhythm or tempo!
没有一个固定的节奏 或者说拍子
Madonna is 4/4 time all the way through.
麦当娜的歌♥一直都是四四拍
The melody changes abcbut the rhythm is constant.
旋律会变 但是节奏一直不变
So you can dance to it.
所以你就可以跟着它跳舞
The quartet changesboth melodically and rhythmically.
而四重奏 是旋律和节奏都会改变
I’m going to play them again.Listen for this.
我会再放一遍 听着
Mr. Manfield.
曼菲尔德先生
We’ll have to find an instrument for you.
我们得给你找个乐器
An instrument?
乐器
Everybody who takes music is required to play in the orchestra.
选音乐课的都要在乐团演奏
Do you play something?
你会什么乐器吗
Piano.
钢琴
Play something.
弹一段
Well, there’s one thing you don’t have to do, and that’s play in the orchestra.
好的 你没必要去乐团演奏了
I’d like to hear how you sound on the Steinway I have at home.
我想听听你在我家的斯坦威钢琴上弹的怎么样
Get out of here.
出去吧
Get a job, Dad? You betcha I did. Right in town.
找到工作了 爸爸 找到了 就在城里
I’m a cook. Guess which kind? Italian?
我是厨师 猜是做什么菜 意大利菜
You got it. Radical!
猜对啦 太棒了
Do you have to say that?
非得这么说话么
Where’d you get this? Public library lost and found.
从哪拿到这个的 公共图书馆的失物招领处

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!