Sustained. Major, I’m not going to warn you again.
上尉 丘上校怎样命令你
Captain, what were the words Colonel Childers used…
向示♥威♥者开枪
when he ordered you to fire on the demonstrators?
我记不起他怎样说
I don’t remember the exact words, sir.
只知道他命令我开枪
He ordered me to open fire.
丘上校开枪的命令
When you obeyed Colonel Childers’ order to open fire,
你认为合不合法
did you believe it to be a lawful order?
合法
Yes, sir.
否则你有责任抗命 对不对
Otherwise it would have been your duty to disobey. Is that right?
是的
Yes, sir.
你们向人群开枪
When your men opened fire on the attackers in the crowd,
对面街的枪手是不是停了火
did the snipers in the buildings across the way cease their firing?
对 完全静下来
Absolutely, sir. It went completely quiet.
似乎
It would seem, then,
两组人互相配合行动
that the two groups were actually one working together.
反对 辩方律师替证人下结论
Objection. Counselis drawing a conclusion for the witness.
反对有效
Sustained.
使♥馆♥的人走后
Were you in a position to observe Colonel Childers…
你看到丘上校
when everyone was evacuated?
见到
Yes, I was.
他在做什么
What was the last thing you saw him do?
他走去旗杆 – 然后做什么
He went to the flagpole. – Then what’d he do?
将国旗降下
He took down the American flag.
冒著枪林弹雨
Was he personally under heavy fire at that time?
是 – 问完了
Yes, sir. – No more questions.
上尉 奉命开枪之前
Captain, prior to receiving orders from the accused to open fire,
哪处对你们构成最大危险
where was the point of greatest concern for the safety of your men,
下面群众 抑或对街枪手
the crowd below or the snipers in the buildings across the way?
我不肯定 – 你不肯定
I’m not really sure. – You’re not sure?
我猜测
Well, I guess…
不要猜测 我再问一次
Don’t guess. I’ll repeat the question.
哪处对你们构成最大危险 下面人群
Was the point of greatest concern the crowd below…
抑或对街枪手
or the snipers across the way?
对街枪手吧
I would have to say the snipers.
你觉不觉得人群危及你们生命
Did you feel an immediate mortal danger from the crowd as a whole?
我不明白 – 你不明白
I don’t understand. – You don’t understand?
不明白 – 我帮你
No, sir. – Let me help you.
谁会杀你
Were you more worried…
这些人或这些人
you’d be killed by these people or by these people?
枪林弹雨下 我根本无法考虑 你处身于枪林弹中过吗
I wasn’t thinking about that. Have you ever been under fire?
示♥威♥者有没有开枪 你看不到 枪手开枪 你却察觉到
You didn’t see the crowd firing, but you did take fire from the snipers.
对吗
Is that correct?
是的
Yes.
我们的诊所离使♥馆♥不远
Our clinic is not too far from the embassy.
所以我率先到达现场
So I was one of the first to arrive there.
有没有在尸体上看到武器
Did you see any weapons on the bodies of the dead?
没有
No.
有没有从伤者身上取走武器
Did you remove any weapons from the people you were treating?
没有
No.
受害者一件武器也没有
Not a single weapon anywhere among the victims?
没有
No, no weapons.
也门是不是恐♥怖♥分♥子♥的训练场
In your opinion, is Yemen a training ground for terrorists?
绝对不是
Not at all.
我们在也门见过面
We met in Yemen.
你鼓励我参观你的诊所
You encouraged me to tour your clinic in order to witness…
去见证丘上校造成的灾害
the suffering caused by Colonel Childers’ orders.
还记得吗 – 记得
Do you remember that? – Yes.
呈堂证物R这盒录音带
I found an audiocassette on the floor of your clinic.
是我在你诊所捡到的
It’s marked exhibit “R”.
认得吗
Do you remember that?
认得 – 我在使♥馆♥内
Yes. – I found another one…
也找到另一盒
inside the embassy.
共找到好几盒 都列为证物R
In fact, I found several others. They’re all marked exhibit “R”.
请你翻译录音带上的文字
Will you translate the writing on the outside of that cassette?
回♥教♥
Declaration of Islamic Jihad…
向美国的圣♥战♥宣言
“Against United States”.
这些录音带是用作宗教政♥治♥宣传
These audiocassettes are used for the purposes of religious…
也门不识字的人很多
and political propaganda due to the high illiteracy rate in Yemen.
对不对 – 对
Is that correct? – Yes.
请你将带上的录音
Will you translate the words you hear…
为法庭翻译出来
on this audiocassette for the court, please?
阿马医生
Dr Ahmar?
我们呼吁所有希望获赏
We call on every Muslim who believes in God…
虔诚的回♥教♥徒
and hopes for reward…
遵从神的命令
“to obey God’s command”.
医生 神的命令是什么
Dr Ahmar, does it say what God’s command is?
随时随地
To kill Americans…
夺取美国人
and plunder…
性命 财产
“their possessions wherever he finds them”.
请继续
Go on, please.
在其能力范围内
To kill Americans…
诛杀美国及其盟国
and their allies,
的军民
both civil and military,
是每个回♥教♥徒
is duty of every Muslim…
的责任
“who is able”.
杀死美国人是责任
To kill Americans is a duty.
是不是这样说 – 是的
Is that what it says? – Yes.
你认得讲话的人是谁吗
Do you recognize the speaker’s voice?
不认得
No.
照你看来 录音带的内容
Dr Ahmar, in your opinion, is this propaganda…
能不能代表那趟示♥威♥的动机
representative of that demonstration?
不能代表 我不是回♥教♥圣♥战♥组织的成员
No. I’m not a member of Islamic Jihad!
示♥威♥群众在唱歌♥
The crowd was singing songs.
我在诊所听得到
I heard them from my clinic.
丘上校担任指挥
What was your reaction when you learned that Colonel Childers…
你的反映是什么
had been selected to lead this mission?
深庆得人 上校是位优秀军人
I was very pleased. The colonel had a distinguished record.
戎马半生 – 你怎样界定他的任务
He’s a nationally renowned war… – How did you define his mission?
我们要加强使♥馆♥保安
We wanted to increase security, but frankly,
假如受到威胁 撤走使♥馆♥的人
if things got threatening, we wanted an evacuation.
那么 你并不寻求冲突
So you weren’t looking for confrontation?
我们正千方百计 避免冲突
No, that’s what we wished to avoid at all costs.
出了事 你有什么反应
What was your reaction to what happened?
惊讶
I was stunned,
难过
appalled.
你有没有低估当时形势的险峻
Wasn’t the severity of the problem at the embassy understated?
绝对没有
Absolutely not.
我们按照手头上的资料处理
We operated on the information we had at the time.
证物M是也门人员
I have here a State Department report from Yemen.
呈交国♥务♥院♥的报告
It’s exhibit “M”.
请你把划著底线的部分读出来
Will you read the underlined sections for the court, please?
好
Certainly.
一月二十五日 警车遭人投手榴弹
‘January25. Grenade thrown at police car.
一月二十七日 原教组织成员绑♥架♥十七名西方游客
January 27. Sixteen Western tourists abducted by fundamentalist group”.
请继续 – 二月六日
Go on, please. – “February 6.”
汽车炸♥弹♥爆♥炸♥ – 有没有今日的华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥
A bomb explodes in a car… – You got today’s Post?
有 – 给我一份
Yeah. – Yeah. Give it to me.
二月二十日 警署就近报摊遇眩晕手榴弹袭击
Stun grenade thrown at newspaper kiosk near a police station.
三月十三日 也门出现首个驴弹
March 13. A military officer…
严重炸伤一名军官
is seriously wounded by Yemen’s first… donkey bomb.
炸♥弹♥可能藏在鞍下
Explosives were apparently concealed under the saddle.
谢谢
Thank you.
我有另一份国♥务♥院♥文件 日期是十一月十七日
I have another State Department document, dated 17 November.
是莫领事写给你的信
It’s from the ambassador to you.
麻烦你读出来
Will you read this for the court, please?
苏高先生大鉴 不得不再指出
Dear Bill. Please, we must revisit our previous conversation…
也门使♥馆♥保安设备
in that the security measures we have taken are still inadequate…
依然不足
“for the protection ofour mission to Yemen”.
当我接到这封信
You have to understand that when I received this letter…
使♥馆♥屋顶是不是
Thank you. Now, there are… Well, are there… cameras…
装著摄影机 – 是的