幸亏一路上饱聆着您的清言妙语
And yet our fair discourse hath been as sugar,
使我津津有味,乐而忘倦
making the hard way sweet and delectable
你太会讲话,未免把我的价值过分抬高了
Of much less value is my company than your good words.
可是谁来啦?
But who comes here?
这儿来的是洛斯勋爵和威罗比勋爵
Here come the Lords of Ross and Willoughby,
他们因为急着赶路,马不停蹄,跑得满脸通红,连脸上的血管都爆起来了
bloody with spurring, fiery-red with haste
欢迎,两位勋爵
Welcome, my lords.
我知道你们一片忠爱之心,追逐着一个亡命的叛徒
I wot your love pursues a banished traitor
我现在所有的财富,不过是空言的感谢
All my treasury is yet but unfelt thanks, which
等我囊橐充实以后,你们的好意和劳力将会得到它们的酬报
more enriched shall be your love and labour’s recompense
能够看见殿下的尊颜,已经是我们莫大的幸运了
Your presence makes us rich, most noble lord
为了达到这一目标,我们付出了巨大的努力
And far surmounts our labour to attain it
感谢是穷♥人♥唯一的资本
Evermore thanks, the exchequer of the poor Which,
在我幼稚的命运成熟以前
till my infant fortune comes to years,
我只能用感谢充当慷慨的赐赠,可是谁来啦?
stands for my bounty. But who comes here?
那是我的小儿哈利·潘西
It is my son, young Harry Percy,
我的兄弟华斯特叫他来的,虽然我不知道他现在在什么地方
sent from my brother Worcester, whencesoever
哈利,你的叔父好吗?
Harry, how fares your uncle?
他已经离开宫廷,折断他的指挥仗
He hath forsook the court broken his staff of office
把王室的仆人都遣散了
and dispersed the household of the king
他为什么这样做呢?
What was his reason?
他是因为听见他们宣布您是叛徒,所以才气愤离职的
Because your lordship was proclaimed traitor
可是,父亲,他已经到雷文斯泊,向海瑞福德公爵投诚去了
But he, my lord, is gone to Ravenspurgh to offer service
他叫我路过勃克雷
to the Duke of Hereford And sent me over by Berkeley to
探听约克公爵在那边征集了多少军力,然后再到雷文斯泊去
discover what power the Duke of York had levied there
孩子,你忘记海瑞福德公爵了吗?
Have you forgot the Duke of Hereford, boy?
不,父亲,我的记忆中要是不曾有过他的印象
No, my good lord For that is not forgot which ne’er I did
那就说不上忘记,我生平还没有见过他一面
remember. To my knowledge, I never in my life did look on him
那么现在你可以认识认识他:这位就是公爵
Then learn to know him now: this is the duke
殿下,我向您掬献我的忠诚
My gracious lord, I tender you my service, such as it is,
现在我还只是一个少不更事的孩子
being tender, raw and young Which elder days shall
可是岁月的磨炼将会使我对您尽更大的劳力
ripen and confirm to more approved service and desert
谢谢你,善良的潘西
I thank thee, gentle Percy, and be sure I count myself in
要是我借着你们善意的协助而安享富贵,我决不会辜负你们的盛情
nothing else so happy as in a soul remembering my good
我的心订下这样的盟约,我的手向你们作郑重的保证
friends. My heart this covenant makes, my hand thus seals it
这儿到勃克雷还有多远?
How far is it to Berkeley? And what stir keeps
善良的老约克带领他的战士在那里作些什么活动?
good old York there with his men of war?
那儿有一簇树木的所在就是城♥堡♥
There stands the castle, by yond tuft of trees,
照我所探听到的,堡中一共有三百兵士
manned with three hundred men, as I have heard And in it are
约克、勃克雷和西摩这几位勋爵都在里边
the Lords of York, Berkeley, and Seymour,
此外就没有什么有名望的人了
none else of name and noble estimate
我的尊贵的叔父!
My noble uncle!
让我看看你的谦卑的心,不必向我屈膝
Show me thy humble heart, and not thy knee,
那是欺人而虚伪的敬礼
whose duty is deceivable and false
我的仁慈的叔父——
My gracious uncle –
咄!咄!不要向我说什么仁慈,更不要叫我什么叔父
Tut, tut! Grace me no grace, nor uncle me no uncle
我不是叛徒的叔父
I am no traitor’s uncle, and that word ‘grace’ in an
“仁慈”两字也不应该出之于一个残暴者的嘴里
ungracious mouth is but profane
为什么你敢让你这双被放逐摈斥的脚
Why have these banished and forbidden legs dared once to
践踏英格兰的泥土?
touch a dust of England’s ground?
为什么你敢长驱直入
But then more ‘why’: why have they dared to march so many
蹂躏它的和平的胸膛
miles upon her peaceful bosom frighting her pale-faced
用战争和可憎恶的武器的炫耀惊吓它的胆怯的乡村?
villages with war and ostentation of despised arms?
你是因为受上天敕封的君王不在国中,所以想来窥伺神器吗?
Comest thou because the anointed king is hence?
哼,傻孩子!王上并没有离开他的国土
Why, foolish boy, the king is left behind,
他的权力都已经交托给了我
and in my loyal bosom lies his power
我的仁慈的叔父,让我知道我的过失
My gracious uncle, let me know my fault.
什么是我的罪名,在哪一点上我犯了错误?
On what condition stands it and wherein?
你犯的是乱国和谋叛的极恶重罪
Even in condition of the worst degree,
你是一个放逐的流徒
in gross rebellion and detested treason Thou art
却敢在年限未满以前
a banished man And here art come before the expiration
举兵回国,反抗你的君上
of thy time in braving arms against thy sovereign
当我被放逐的时候,我是以海瑞福德的名义被放逐的
As I was banished, I was banished Hereford,
现在我回来,却是要求兰开斯特的爵号♥
but as I come, I come for Lancaster
啊!
Agh!
尊贵的叔父
And noble uncle, I beseech your grace look on my wrongs
请您用公正的眼光看看我所受的屈辱吧
with an indifferent eye
您是我的父亲,因为我仿佛看见年老的刚特活现在您的身上
You are my father, for methinks in you I see old Gaunt
啊!那么,我的父亲,您忍♥心让我做一个漂泊的流浪者
alive. O then, my father, will you permit that I shall stand
我的权利和财产
condemned a wandering vagabond my rights and
被人用暴♥力♥劫夺
royalties plucked from my arms perforce and given away to
拿去给那些臣亲贵们挥霍吗?为什么我要生到这世上来?
upstart unthrifts? Wherefore was I born?
要是我那位王兄是英格兰的国王
If that my cousin king be King of England,
我当然也是名正言顺的兰开斯特公爵
it must be granted I am Duke of Lancaster
您有一个儿子,我的奥墨尔贤弟
You have a son, Aumerle, my noble kinsman.
要是您先死了,他被人这样凌♥辱♥
Had you first died, and he been thus trod down he
他一定会从他的伯父刚特身上找到一个父亲
should have found his uncle Gaunt a father to rouse his
替他伸雪不平
wrongs and chase them to the bay
虽然我有产权证明书,他们却不准我声请掌管我父亲的遗产
I am denied to sue my livery here,
他生前所有的一切,都已被他们没收的没收,变卖♥♥的变卖♥♥
my father’s goods are all distrained and sold
您说我应该怎么办?
What would you have me do?
我是一个国家的臣子,要求法律的救援
I am a subject, and I challenge law.
可是没有一个辩护士替我仗义执言
Attorneys are denied me And therefore personally
所以我不得不亲自提出我的世袭继承权的要求
I lay my claim to my inheritance of free descent
这位尊贵的公爵的确是被欺太甚了
The noble duke hath been too much abused
殿下应该替他主持公道
It stands your grace upon to do him right
各位英国的贵爵们,让我告诉你们这一句话
My lords of England, let me tell you this
对于我这位侄儿所受的屈辱
I have had feeling of my cousin’s wrongs and laboured
我也是很抱同情的,我曾经尽我所有的能力保障他的权利
all I could to do him right
可是像这样声势汹汹地兴师动众而来
But in this kind to come, in braving arms,
用暴♥力♥打开自己的路,凭不正义的手段来寻求正义
be his own carver and cut out his way to find out right
这种行为是万万不能容许的
with wrongs, it may not be And you that do abet him
你们帮助他作这种举动的人,也都是助逆的乱臣,国家的叛徒
in this kind cherish rebellion and are rebels all
这位尊贵的公爵已经宣誓他这次回国的目的,不过是要求他所原有的应得的权利
The noble duke hath sworn his coming is but for his own
为了帮助他达到这个目的,我们都已经郑重宣誓给他充分的援助
And for the right of that we all have strongly sworn
谁要是毁弃了那一个誓言
to give him aid
愿他永远得不到快乐!
And let him ne’er see joy that breaks that oath!
好,好,我知道这一场干戈将会发生怎样的结果
Well, well, I see the issue of these arms
我承认我已经无力挽回大局
I cannot mend it, I must needs confess,
因为我的军力是疲弱不振的
because my power is weak and all ill left
可是凭着那给我生命的造物主发誓,要是我有能力的话,
But if I could, by him that gave me life I would attach
我一定要把你们一起抓住,使你们在王上的御座之前匍匐乞命
you all and make you stoop unto the sovereign mercy
可是我既然没有这样的力量
of the king But since I cannot,
我只能向你们宣布,我继续站在中立者的地位
be it known to you I do remain as neuter.
再会吧
So, fare you well
要是你们愿意的话
Unless you please to enter in the castle and there repose
我很欢迎你们到我们堡里来安度一宵
you for this night
叔父,我们很愿意接受您的邀请
An offer, uncle, that we will accept
可是我们必须先劝您陪我们到勃列斯托尔堡去一次
But we must win your grace to go with us to Bristol Castle
据说那一处城♥堡♥
which they say is held by Bushy,
现在为布希、巴各特和他们的党徒所占领
Bagot and their complices
这些都是祸国殃民的蠹虫
The caterpillars of the commonwealth,
我已经宣誓要把他们歼灭
which I have sworn to weed and pluck away
也许我会陪你们同去,可是我不能不踟蹰
It may be I will go with you: but yet I’ll pause,
因为我不愿破坏我们国家的法律
for I am loath to break our country’s laws
我既不能把你们当作友人来迎接,也不能当作敌人
Nor friends nor foes, to me welcome you are.
无可挽救的事,我只好置之度外了
Things past redress are now with me past care
萨立斯伯雷大人,我们已经等了十天之久
My lord of Salisbury, we have stayed ten days,
好容易把弟兄们笼络住了,没有让他们一哄而散
and hardly kept our countrymen together
可是直到现在,还没有听见王上的消息
And yet we hear no tidings from the king,
所以我们只好把队伍解散了,再会
therefore we will disperse ourselves. Farewell
再等一天吧,忠实的威尔士人
Stay yet another day, thou trusty Welshman,
王上把他全部的信任寄托在你的身上哩
the king reposeth all his confidence in thee
人家都以为王上死了,我们不愿意再等下去
‘Tis thought the king is dead, we will not stay
我们国里的月桂树已经一起枯萎
The bay-trees in our country all are withered and meteors
流星震撼着天空的星座
fright the fixed stars of heaven
脸色苍白的月亮用一片血光照射大地
The pale-faced moon looks bloody on the earth and
形容瘦瘠的预言家们交头接耳地传述着惊人的变化
lean-looked prophets whisper fearful change
富人们愁眉苦脸,害怕失去他们所享有的一切
Rich men look sad and ruffians dance and leap
无赖们鼓舞雀跃
The one in fear to lose what they enjoy,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!