imp out our drooping country’s broken wing
把受污的王冠从当铺里赎出
Redeem from broking pawn the blemished crown,
拭去那遮掩我们御杖上的金光的尘埃
wipe off the dust that hides our sceptre’s gilt and make
使庄严的王座恢复它旧日的光荣
high majesty look like itself,
那么赶快跟我到雷文斯泊去吧
away with me in post to Ravenspurgh
上马!上马!
To horse, to horse!
叫那些胆小怕事的人去反复考虑吧
Urge doubts to them that fear
把我的马牵出来,我要第一个到那里
Hold out my horse, and I will first be there
娘娘,您太伤心过度了
Madam, your majesty is too much sad.
您跟王上分别的时候
You promised, when you parted with the king to
您不是答应他您一定高高兴兴的
lay aside life-harming heaviness and to entertain
不让沉重的忧郁摧残您的生命吗?
a cheerful disposition
为了叫王上高兴,我才说这样的话
To please the king I did.
可是我实在没有法子叫我自己高兴起来
To please myself I cannot do it
我不知道为什么我要欢迎像悲哀这样的一位客人
Yet I know no cause why I should welcome such a
除了因为我已经
guest as grief save bidding farewell to so sweet
跟我的亲爱的理查告别
a guest as my sweet Richard
可是我仿佛觉得有一种尚未产生的不幸
Yet again, methinks, some unborn sorrow,
已经在命运的母胎里成熟,正在向我逼近
ripe in fortune’s womb is coming towards me,
我的内在的灵魂因为一种并不存在的幻影而颤栗
and my inward soul with nothing trembles At something
不仅是为了跟我的君王离别,才勾起了我心底的悲哀
it grieves, more than with parting from my lord the king
每一个悲哀的本体都有二十个影子
Each substance of a grief hath twenty shadows,
它们的形状都和悲哀本身一样,但它们并没有实际的存在
which shows like grief itself, but is not so
因为镀着一层泪液的愁人之眼
For sorrow’s eye, glazed with blinding tears,
往往会把一件整个的东西化成无数的形象
divides one thing entire to many objects
就像凹凸镜一般,从正面望去,只见一片模糊
Like perspectives, which rightly gazed upon show
从侧面观看,却可以辨别形状
nothing but confusion: eyed awry, distinguish form
娘娘因为把这次和王上分别的事情看偏了
So your sweet majesty, looking awry upon your lord’s
所以才会感到超乎离别以上的悲哀
departure Find shapes of grief,
其实从正面看去
more than himself to wail Which, looked on as it is,
它只不过是一些并不存在的幻影
is naught but the shadows of what it is not
所以,大贤大德的娘娘
So, thrice-gracious queen, more than your lord’s
不要因为离别以外的事情而悲哀
departure weep not
您其实没看到什么
More’s not seen.
即使看到了
Or if it be, ’tis with false sorrow’s eye,
那也只是悲哀的眼中的虚伪的影子,它往往把想像误为真实而浪掷它的眼泪
which for things true weeps things imaginary
也许是这样,可是我的内在的灵魂使我相信它并不是这么一回事
It may be so, but yet my inward soul persuades me it
无论如何,我不能不悲哀,我的悲哀是如此沉重
is otherwise Howe’er it be, I cannot but be sad.
谁也不知道它的性质,我也不能给它一个名字,它是一种无名的悲哀
But what it is, I cannot name. ‘Tis nameless woe, I wot
上帝保佑陛下!
God save your majesty!
两位朋友,你们都好
And well met, gentlemen.
我希望王上还没有上船到爱尔兰去
I hope the king is not yet shipped for Ireland
你为什么这样希望?我们应该希望他快一点去
Why hopest thou so? ‘Tis better hope he is,
因为他这次远征的计划,必须迅速进行,才有胜利的希望
for his designs crave haste, his haste good hope
被放逐的波林勃洛克已经自动回国
The banished Bolingbroke repeals himself,
带着大队人马,安然到达雷文斯泊了
and with uplifted arms is safe arrived at Ravenspurgh
上帝不允许有这样的事!
Now God in heaven forbid!
啊!娘娘,这事情太真实了
O, madam, ’tis too true.
更坏的是诺森伯兰伯爵和他的儿子
And that is worse the Lord Northumberland, his son
少年的亨利·潘西、还有洛斯、波蒙德、威罗比这一批勋爵们
young Henry Percy the Lords of Ross, Beaumont, and Willoughby
带着他们势力强大的朋友,全都投奔到他的麾下去了
with all their powerful friends, are fled to him
你们为什么不宣布
Why have you not proclaimed Northumberland and the rest of
诺森伯兰和那些逆党们的叛国的罪名?
the revolted faction, traitors?
我们已经这样宣布了,华斯特伯爵听见这消息
We have: whereupon the Earl of Worcester hath broke his
就折断他的指挥杖,所有内廷的仆役都跟着他一起投奔波林勃洛克去了
staff, and fled to Bolingbroke
格林,你是我的悲哀的助产妇
So, Green, thou art the midwife of my woe,
波林勃洛克却是我的忧郁的可怕的后嗣
and Bolingbroke my sorrow’s dismal heir
现在我的灵魂已经产生了她的变♥态♥的胎儿
Now hath my soul brought forth her prodigy
我,一个临盆不久的喘息的产妇,已经把悲哀和悲哀联结
And I, a gasping new-delivered mother, have woe to woe,
忧愁和忧愁揉合了
sorrow to sorrow joined
不要绝望,娘娘 -谁阻止得了我?
Despair not, madam – Who shall hinder me?
我要绝望,我要和欺人的希望为敌
I will despair, and be at enmity with cozening hope.
他是一个佞人,一个食客
He is a flatterer, a parasite, a keeper-back of death who
当死神将要温柔地替人解除生命的羁绊的时候
gently would dissolve the bands of life,
虚伪的希望却拉住他的手,使人在困苦之中苟延残喘
which false hope lingers in extremity
约克公爵来了
Here comes the Duke of York.
他的年老的颈上挂着战争的符号♥
With signs of war about his aged neck
叔父,为了上帝的缘故,说几句叫人听了安心的话吧
Uncle, for God’s sake, speak comfortable words
安慰是在天上,我们都是地上的人
Comfort’s in heaven, and we are on the earth,
除了忧愁、困苦和悲哀以外,这世间再没有其他的事物存在
where nothing lives but crosses, care and grief
你的丈夫到远处去保全他的疆土
Your husband, he is gone to save far off,
别人却走进他的家里来打劫他的财产
while others come to make him lose at home
留下我这年迈衰弱
Here am I left to underprop his land, who, weak with age,
连自己都照顾不了的老头儿替他支撑门户
cannot support myself
爵爷,我还没有到家,公子已经去了
My lord, your son is gone to Ireland.
他去了?嗳哟,好!大家各奔前程吧!
Aumerle! Why, so go all which way it will
贵族们都出亡了,平民们都抱着冷淡的态度
The nobles they are fled, the commons they are cold,
我怕他们会帮着海瑞福德作乱
and will, I fear, revolt on Hereford’s side
喂,你到普拉希去替我问候我的嫂子葛罗斯特夫人
Sirrah, get thee to Plashy, to my sister Gloucester,
请她立刻给我送来一千镑钱
bid her send me presently a thousand pound
这指环你拿去作为凭证
Hold, take my ring
爵爷,我忘记告诉您
My lord, I had forgot to tell your lordship
今天我经过那里的时候,曾经进去探望过
Today as I came by, I called there.
可是说下去一定会叫您听了伤心
But I shall grieve you to report the rest
什么事,小子?
What is it, knave?
在我进去的一小时以前,这位公爵夫人已经死了
An hour before I came, the duchess died
慈悲的上帝!
God for his mercy!
怎样一阵悲哀的狂潮,接连不断地向这不幸的国土冲来!
What a tide of woes comes rushing on this woeful land
我不知道应该做些什么事
at once I know not what to do.
我真希望上帝让国王把我的头跟我的哥哥的头同时砍去
I would to God the king had cut off my head with my
只要他杀我不是因为我有什么不忠之心
brother Gloucester’s
什么!没有急使派到爱尔兰去吗?
What, are there no posts dispatched for Ireland?
我们应该怎样处置这些战费?
How shall we do for money for these wars?
来,嫂子——恕我,我应该说侄妇
Come, sister – cousin, I would say – pray, pardon me
去,家伙,你到家里去
Go, fellow, get thee home, provide some carts and bring
准备几辆车子,把那里所有的甲胄一起装来
away the armour that is there
列位朋友,你们愿意不愿意去征集一些士兵?
Gentlemen, will you go muster men?
我实在不知道怎样料理
If I know how or which way to order these affairs thus
这些像一堆乱麻一般丢在我手里的事务
disorderly thrust into my hands, never believe me
两方面都是我的亲族:一个是我的君王
按照我的盟誓和我的天职,我都应该尽力保卫他
Both are my kinsmen. The one is my sovereign
那一个也是我的同宗的侄儿,他被国王所亏待
The other again is my kinsman, whom the king hath wronged
好,我们总要想个办法
Well, somewhat we must do.
来,侄妇,我要先把你安顿好了
Come, cousin, I’ll dispose of you
我应该再到普拉希去一趟,可是时间不会允许我
I should to Plashy too, but time will not permit
一切全是一团糟,什么事情都弄得七颠八倒
All is uneven and everything is left at six and seven
叫我们征募一支
For us to levy power proportionable to the
可以和敌人抗衡的军队是全然不可能的事
enemy is all impossible
而且我们对王上的关系这样密切
Besides, our nearness to the king in love
格外容易引起那些对王上不满的人的仇视
is near the hate of those love not the king
那就是这班反复成性的平民群众
And that’s the wavering commons, for their love lies in their
他们的爱是在他们的钱袋里的,谁倒空了他们的钱袋
purses and whoso empties them, by so much fills their
就等于把恶毒的仇恨注满在他们的胸膛里
hearts with deadly hate
所以国王才受到一般人的指斥
Wherein the king stands generally condemned
要是他们有判罪的权力
If judgement lie in them, then so do we,
那么我们也免不了同样的罪名,因为我们一向和王上十分亲密
because we have been ever near the king
好,我要立刻到勃列斯托尔堡去躲避躲避
Well, I will for refuge straight to Bristol Castle
我也跟你同去吧
Thither will I with you
因为怀恨的民众除了像恶狗一般把我们撕成碎块以外
For little office shall the hateful commons perform for
是不会给我们什么好处的
us, except like curs to tear us all in pieces
你也愿意跟我们同去吗?
Will you go along with us?
不,我要到爱尔兰见王上去
No, I will to Ireland to his majesty
再会吧,要是心灵的预感并非虚妄
Farewell. If heart’s presages be not vain,
那么我们三人在这儿分手以后,恐怕重见无期了
we three here part that ne’er shall meet again
再会吧,我们从此永别了
Farewell at once, for once, for all, and ever
也许我们还有相见的一天
Well, we may meet again
我怕是不会的了
I fear me, never
伯爵,到勃克雷还有多少路?
How far is it, my lord, to Berkeley now?
不瞒您说,殿下,我在这儿葛罗斯特郡全然是一个陌生人
Believe me, noble lord, I am a stranger here in
这些高峻的荒山和崎岖不平的道路
Gloucestershire These high wild hills and rough uneven
使我们的途程显得格外悠长而累人
ways draws out our miles, and makes them wearisome

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!