镜子已经去拿了,你先把这纸上的文字念起来吧
Read o’er this paper till the glass doth come
魔鬼!我还没有下地狱,你就这样折磨我
Fiend, thou torments me ere I come to hell
不要逼迫他了,诺森伯兰伯爵
Urge it no more, my Lord Northumberland
那么平民们是不会满足的
The commons will not then be satisfied
他们将会得到满足,当我看见那本记载着我的一切罪恶的书册
They shall be satisfied. I’ll read enough when I do see the
也就是当我看见我自己的时候,我将要从它上面读到许多事情
very book indeed where all my sins are writ, and that’s myself
把镜子给我,我要借着它阅读我自己
Give me that glass, and therein will I read
还不曾有深一些的皱纹吗?
No deeper wrinkles yet?
悲哀把这许多打击加在我的脸上
Hath sorrow struck so many blows upon this face of mine,
却没有留下深刻的伤痕吗?
and left no deeper wound?
啊,谄媚的镜子!正像在我荣盛的时候跟随我的那些人们一样
O flattering glass, like to my followers in prosperity,
你欺骗了我
thou dost beguile me
这就是每天有一万个人
Was this face the face that every day under his household
托庇于他的广厦之下的那张脸吗?
roof did keep ten thousand men? Was this
这就是像太阳一般使人不敢仰视的那张脸吗?
the face that like the sun did make beholders wink?
这就是曾经“赏脸”给许多荒唐的愚行
Is this the face that faced so many follies,
最后却在波林勃洛克之前黯然失色的那张脸吗?
that was at last out-faced by Bolingbroke?
一道脆弱的光辉闪耀在这脸上
A brittle glory shineth in this face,
这脸儿也正像不可恃的荣光一般脆弱
as brittle as the glory is the face
瞧它经不起用力一掷,就碎成片片了
For there it is, cracked in an hundred shivers
沉默的国王,注意这一场小小的游戏中所含的教训吧
Mark, silent king, the moral of this sport,
瞧我的悲哀怎样在片刻之间毁灭了我的容颜
how soon my sorrow hath destroyed my face
你的悲哀的影子
The shadow of your sorrow hath destroyed
毁灭了你的面貌的影子
the shadow of your face
把那句话再说一遍
Say that again.
我的悲哀的影子!哈!
The shadow of my sorrow? Ha?
让我想一想,一点不错,我的悲哀都在我的心里
Let’s see, ’tis very true, my grief lies all within,
这些外表上的伤心恸哭
and these external manners of laments are merely shadows
不过是那悄悄地充溢在受难的灵魂中的
to the unseen grief that swells with silence
不可见的悲哀的影子
in the tortured soul
它的本体是在内心潜藏着的,国王,谢谢你的广大的恩典
There lies the substance. And I thank thee, king,
你不但给我哀伤的原因
for thy great bounty that not only givest me cause to wail,
并且教给我怎样悲恸的方法
but teachest me the way how to lament the cause
我还要请求一个恩典,然后我就向你告辞,不再烦扰你了
I’ll beg one boon, and then be gone and trouble you no more
你能不能答应我?
Shall I obtain it?
说吧,亲爱的王兄
Name it, fair cousin
“亲爱的王兄”!我比一个国王更伟大
‘Fair cousin’? Now I am greater than a king
因为当我做国王的时候,向我谄媚的人不过是一群臣子
For when I was a king, my flatterers were then but subjects
现在我自己做了臣子,却有一个国王向我谄媚
Being now a subject, I have a king here to be my flatterer.
既然我是这样一个了不得的人,我也不必开口求人了
Being so great, I have no need to beg
可是说出你的要求来吧
Yet ask.
你会答应我的要求吗?
And shall I have?
我会答应你的
You shall.
那么准许我去
Then give me leave to go
到哪儿去?
Whither?
随便你叫我到哪儿去都好,只要让我不再看见你的脸
Whither you will, so I were from your sights
来几个人把他送到塔里去
Go, some of you convey him to the Tower
啊,很好!你们都是送往迎来的人
O, good! ‘Convey’?
靠着一个真命君王的没落
Conveyers are you all, that rise thus nimbly
捷足高升
by a true king’s fall
下星期三我们将要郑重举♥行♥加冕的典礼
On Wednesday next we solemnly set down our coronation.
各位贤卿,你们就去准备起来吧
Lords, prepare yourselves
我们已经在这儿看到了一幕伤心的惨剧
A woeful pageant have we here beheld
悲惨的事情还在后面
The woe’s to come. The children yet unborn shall feel this
我们后世的子孙将会觉得这一天对于他们就像荆棘一般刺人
day as sharp to them as thorn
你们两位神圣的教士
You holy clergymen, is there no plot
难道没有计策可以从我们这国土之上除去这罪恶的污点吗?
to rid the realm of this pernicious blot?
大人
My lord,
在我大胆地向您吐露我的衷曲以前
before I freely speak my mind herein,
您必须郑重宣誓,不但为我保守秘密
you shall not only take the sacrament to bury mine intent,
并且还要尽力促成我的计划
but also to effect whatever I shall happen to devise
我看见你们的眉宇之间充满了不平之气
I see your brows are full of discontent,
你们的心头填塞着悲哀,你们的眼中洋溢着热泪
your heart of sorrow and your eyes of tears
跟我回去晚餐
Come home with me to supper.
我要定下一个计策
I’ll lay a plot shall show us all a merry day
它会使我们重见快乐的日子
This way the king will come
这就是通到裘力斯·凯撒
This is the way to Julius Caesar’s ill-erected tower
所造下的那座万恶的高塔去的路
to whose flint bosom my condemned lord is doomed a
我的主已经被骄傲的波林勃洛克判定在那高塔的顽石的胸中做一个囚人
prisoner by proud Bolingbroke
让我们在这儿休息片刻
Here let us rest, if this rebellious earth have any
要是这叛逆的大地还有尺寸之土,可以容许它的真正的国君的元后歇足的话
resting for her true king’s queen
可是且慢,瞧,不,还是转过脸去
But soft, but see, or rather do not see,
不要瞧我那美丽的蔷薇萎谢吧
my fair rose wither
可是抬起头来,看看他
Yet look up, behold, that you in pity may dissolve to dew
也许怜悯会使你们融为甘露,用你们真情的眼泪重新润泽他的娇颜
And wash him fresh again with true-love tears
你这荣誉的草图,你是理查王的墓碑
Thou map of honour, thou King Richard’s tomb,
不是理查王自己
and not King Richard
不要和悲哀携手,美人,不要加重我的悲哀
Join not with grief, fair woman, do not so,
使我太早结束我的生命
to make my end too sudden Learn, good soul,
你应该想我们过去的荣华不过是一场美妙的幻梦
to think our former state a happy dream From which awaked,
现在从梦里醒来,才发现了我们真实的处境
the truth of what we are shows us but this
我是冷酷的“无可奈何”的结盟兄弟
I am sworn brother, sweet, to grim Necessity,
爱人,他跟我将要到死厮守在一起
and he and I will keep a league till death Hie thee
你快到法国去,找一所庵院栖隐吧
to France and cloister thee in some religious house.
我的尘世的王冠已经因为自己的荒唐而失去了
Our holy lives must win a new world’s crown which our
从今以后,我们圣洁的生涯将要为我们赢得一顶新世界的冠冕
profane hours here have stricken down
什么!我的理查在外形和心灵上都已经换了样子
What, is my Richard both in shape and mind transformed and
变得这样孱弱了吗?难道波林勃洛克把你的理智也剥夺去了?
weakened? Hath Bolingbroke deposed thine intellect?
他占据着你的心吗?
Hath he been in thy heart?
狮子在临死的时候
The lion dying thrusteth forth his paw, and wounds the earth,
要是找不到其他复仇的对象,也会伸出它的脚爪挖掘泥土,发泄它的战败的愤怒
if nothing else, with rage to be o’erpowered
你是一头狮子,万兽中的君王
And wilt thou, pupil-like, take thy correction mildly,
却甘心像一个学童一般
kiss the rod? And fawn on rage with base humility,
俯首贴耳地受人鞭挞,奴颜婢膝地向人乞怜吗?
which art a lion and a king of beasts?
万兽之王!真的我不过做了一群畜类的首脑
A king of beasts, indeed. If aught but beasts,
要是它们稍有人心,我至今还是一个人类中的幸福的君王
I had been still a happy king of men
我的旧日的王后,你快准备准备到法国去吧
Good sometime queen, prepare thee hence for France
你不妨以为我已经死了,就在这儿
Think I am dead and that even here thou takest,
你在我的临终的床前向我作了最后的诀别
as from my death-bed, thy last living leave
在冗长寒冬的夜里,你和善良的老妇们围炉闲坐
In winter’s tedious nights sit by the fire with good old
让她们讲给你听一些古昔悲惨的故事
folks And let them tell thee tales of woeful ages long ago
你在向她们道晚安以前,为了酬答她们的悲哀
betid And ere thou bid good night,
就可以告诉她们我的一生的痛史
to quit their grief tell thou the lamentable tale of me
让她们听了一路流着眼泪回去睡觉
and send the hearers weeping to their beds
王爷,波林勃洛克已经改变他的意旨
My lord, the mind of Bolingbroke is changed.
您必须到邦弗雷特,不用到塔里去了
You must to Pomfret, and not unto the Tower
娘娘,这儿还有对您所发的命令
And, madam, there is order ta’en for you:
您必须尽快动身到法国去
with all swift speed you must away to France
诺森伯兰,你是野心的波林勃洛克升上我的御座的阶梯
Northumberland, thou ladder wherewithal the mounting
你们的罪恶早已贯盈
Bolingbroke ascends my throne
不久就要在你们中间
The time shall not be many hours of age more than it is
造成分化的现象
Ere foul sin, gathering head, shall break into corruption
你的心里将要这样想,虽然他把国土一分为二,把一半给了你
Thou shalt think, though he divide the realm and give thee
可是你有帮助他君临全国的大功,这样的报酬还嫌太轻
half, it is too little, helping him to all
他的心里却是这样想,你既然知道怎样扶立非法的君王
He shall think that thou, which knowest the way to plant
当然也知道怎样从僭窃的御座上把他推倒
unrightful kings wilt know again,
恶人的友谊一下子就会变成恐惧,恐惧会引起彼此的憎恨
being ne’er so little urged, another way to pluck him
憎恨的结果,总有一方或双方得到咎有应得的死亡或祸报
headlong from the usurped throne
我的罪恶由我自己承担,这就完了
My guilt be on my head, and there an end.
你们互相道别吧,因为您,娘娘,必需马上动身
Take leave and part, for you must part forthwith
分开我们吧,诺森伯兰,我向北方去
Part us, Northumberland. I towards the north,
凛冽的寒风和瘴疠在那里逞弄它们的淫♥威♥
where shivering cold and sickness pines the clime
我的妻子向法国去,她从那里初到这儿来的时候
My queen to France, from whence, set forth in pomp,
艳妆华服,正像娇艳的五月
she came adorned hither like sweet May
现在悄然归去,却像寂无生趣的寒冬
sent back like Hallowmas or shortest of day
那么我们必须分手吗?我们不能再在一起了吗?
And must we be divided? Must we part?
是的,我的爱人,我们的手儿不再相触,我们的心儿不再相通
Ay, hand from hand, my love, and heart from heart
把我们两人一起放逐,让王上跟着我去吧
Banish us both and send the king with me
那可以表示你们的恩爱,可是却不是最妥当的政策
That were some love, but little policy
那么他到什么地方去,我也到什么地方去
Then whither he goes, thither let me go

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!