O, God, I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space…
只要不做那些噩梦
were it not that I have bad dreams.
可朋友不忌直问 你们来艾辛诺有何贵干?
But in the beaten way of friendship, what make you at Elsinore?
来拜访您 殿下 别无他事
To visit you, my lord: no other occasion.
我是个乞丐 我的感谢也不值钱
Beggar that I am, I am even poor in thanks
可我谢谢你们
but I thank you.
不是传你们来的吗?
Were you not sent for?
你们拜访纯粹出于自愿 没有条件?
Is it your own inclining? Is it a free visitation?
来 来 快说呀
Well… come, come, nay, speak.
要怎么说呢 殿下?
What should we say, my lord?
随便 只要不说废话 你们是被传来的
Why anything but to the purpose. You were sent for.
你们惭愧的脸色已经招了 良心遮掩不住
And there is a kind of confession in your looks which your modesties have not craft enough to colour.
我知道国王和王后召你们
I know the good King and Queen have sent for you.
为了何事 殿下?
To what end, my lord?
那要请你们指教我了
That you must teach me.
请坦白直说 你们到底是不是被传来的?
Be even and direct with me, whether you were sent for or no.
殿下 我们的确是被传来的
My lord, we were sent for.
我来道破原因
Ah… I will tell you why.
“那老王正在苦战”
I know he finds it striking too short at grief…
“他的古剑 不听手臂的指挥”
His antique sword the bearer to his arms lies where it falls, repugnant to command.
“锵然落地 不复惊起”
I have of late, but wherefore I know not,
我近来不知为什么缘故
Lost all my mirth, foregone all custom of exercises,
丝毫提不起兴致 游乐也懒得过问
and indeed, it goes so heavily with my dispositions…
真的 这种抑郁的心境使我觉得 仿佛负载万物的大地 只是不毛的荒岬
that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory:
这覆盖众生的苍穹 你瞧 这顶壮丽的帐幕
this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o’er hanging firmament…
这金黄火球点缀着的庄严屋宇
this majestical roof fretted with golden fire,
怎么
Why,
对我只是一团污烟瘴气而已
it appeareth nothing to me but a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours.
人类是多了不起的杰作
What a piece of work is a man,
多高贵的理性
How noble in reason,
多伟大的力量 多优美的仪表 多文雅的举动
how infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and admirable,
行为如同天使 灵性可媲神明
in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god:
宇宙的精华 万物的灵长 可对我
the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals, and yet to me,
这些不就是一掊尘土?
what is this quint essence of dust?
人已无法令我欢欣
Man delights not me…
女人也是 虽然你在笑 好像不以为然
nor woman neither though by your smiling you seem to say so.
殿下 我全无此意
My lord, there was no such stuff in my thoughts.
那我说”人已无法令我欢欣”时 你笑什么?
Why did ye laugh then, when I said “Man delights not me”?
您想 陛下 如果人无法令您欢欣
To think, my lord, if you delight not in man…
那班戏子不是要自讨没趣了
what Lenten entertainment the players shall receive from you.
我们赶过了他们 他们正要来向您献技呢
We coted them on the way: and hither are they coming to offer you service.
饰演国王的人我欢迎
Eh, he that plays the king shall be welcome.
二位 欢迎你们来艾西诺 伸出手来 我欢迎你们
Gentleman, you are welcome to Elsinore. Your hands, come then. You are welcome.
可我的叔父父亲和婶母母亲搞错了
But my uncle-father and aunt-mother are deceived.
搞错什么 我的殿下?
In what, my dear lord?
天刮西北风 我才发疯
I am but mad north-northwest.
南风时节 我还能分清鹰和鹭鸶
when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw.
祝福你们 先生们
Well be with you, gentleman.
你听 吉尔登斯吞 你也听 所有的耳朵都要听
Hark you… Guildenstern… And eh you too, at each ear a hearer.
那边那个大婴儿还在襁褓之中呢
that great baby you see there is not yet out of his swaddling clouts.
我料他是来通报我戏子到了的
I will prophesy he comes to tell me of the players.
殿下 我有消息要通报
My lord, I have news to tell you.
殿下 我也有消息要通报
Eh my lord, I have news to tell you.
当罗歇斯在罗马演戏的时候
When Roscius was an actor in Rome.
戏子们已经到了 殿下
The actors are come hither, my lord.
嗤 嗤
Buzz, buzz.
凭我的名誉起誓
Upon my honour–
“那时每个伶人都骑着驴子来”
Then came each actor on his ass.
他们是全世界最好的伶人 无论悲剧 喜剧
The best actors in the world, either for tragedy, comedy…
历史剧 田园剧 田园喜剧 田园史剧 历史悲剧
history, pastoral, pastoral-comical, historical-pastoral, tragical-historical.
我以为你… 没
– I thought you… – No.
我说 看这个
I say… Look at this!
我觉得有进展了
I think we can say we made some progress.
你觉得? 我觉得是
– You think so? – I think we can say that.
我觉得他把我们耍了
I think we can say he made us look ridiculous.
我们一点没脱轨 一问一答
– We played it close to the chest of course. – Question and answer!
他完全把我们挫败了
He was scoring off us all down the line.
我们也许漏了一两着 可也赢了些地盘
He caught us on the wrong foot once or twice, perhaps, but I think we gained some ground.
杀惨了我们 他可能占了上风
– He murdered us. – He might have had the edge.
27比3 还”可能”占了上风?
Twenty-seven-three, and you think he might have had the edge?
杀惨了 我们的托辞呢?
– He murdered us. – What about our evasions?
托辞真漂亮
Oh, our evasions were lovely.
“传你们来的?” “殿下 是传我们来的”
You were sent for? He says. “My lord, we were sent for.”
我无话可说了 他用了6个修辞
– I didn’t know where to put myself. – He had six rhetoricals-
那也是问答 还有2次重复
– It was question and answer alright. – And two repetitions.
他问了27个问题 答了3个 我指望你挖掘呢
Twenty-seven questions he got out and answered three. I was waiting for you to delve.
我琢磨 他怎么还不挖?
When is he going to start delving, I asked myself.
症状搞清楚了吧?
We got his symptoms, didn’t we?
他说的一半文不对题 另一半毫无意义
Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn’t mean anything at all.
我诊断是雄心受挫 愤愤不平
Thwarted ambition a sense of grievance, that’s my diagnosis.
6个修辞2个重复 剩下19问我们答了15个
Six rhetorical and two repetition, leaving nineteen of which we answered fifteen.
结论呢? 他郁闷
And what did we get in return? He’s depressed!
丹麦是座大牢 他宁可住果壳里
Denmark’s a prison and he’d rather live in a nutshell.
他隐约提到雄心 终于有一句可能提到实质问题
Some shadow play about the nature of ambition and finally one direct question which might’ve led somewhere
结果只说明了他能分清鹰和炉子
and led in fact to his illuminating claim to tell a hawk for a handbag.
鹭鸶 鹭鸶
– Handsaw. – Handsaw.
还得刮南风
When the wind is southerly.
天气晴好
And the weather’s clear.
不然他做不到
And when it isn’t he can’t.
他受客观因素摆布
He’s at the mercy of the elements.
这是南吗?
Is that southerly?
我们大约从南边来
We came from roughly south.
那是哪边?
Which way is that?
早晨太阳东升 这点可以假定
In the morning the sun would be easterly. I think we can assume that.
假定现在是早晨?
That it’s morning?
如果现在是早晨 太阳在那边
If it is, and the sun is over there,
那么 那就是北
for instance, that would be northerly.
可如果不是早晨 太阳在那边
On the other hand, if it is not morning and the sun is over there.
那还是北
that would still be northerly.
换句话说
To put it another way,
如果我们从这边来 又是早晨 太阳会在那边
if we came from down there, and it’s morning, the sun would be up there…
可如果它在这边 还是早晨
but if is actually, over there, and it’s still morning,
我们准来自这边 如果这是南 太阳在那边
we must have come from back there and if that is southerly, and the sun is really over there…
现在就是下午
then it’s the afternoon.
然而 如果以上皆错
However, if none of these is the case.
你出去看看不行吗? 实证主义
– Why don’t you go and have a look? – Pragmatism!
你就这两下子?
Is that all you have to offer?
我只说太阳的方位
I merely suggest the position of the sun…
如果有太阳 能让你大致判断时间
if it is out, would give you a rough idea of the time.
或者 可以看钟 如果它在走
Alternatively, the clock, if it is going,
也能大致告诉你太阳在哪
would give you a rough idea of the position of the sun.
我忘了你要证明哪个了
I forget which you are trying to establish.
我要证明风向
I am trying to establish the direction of the wind.
根本没有风
There isn’t any wind.
小气流 是有点
Draught, yes.
“皮拉斯见此破绽 便更疯狂攻击”
Repugnant to command, unequal match’d Pyrrhus at Priam drives, in rage strikes wide.
“无情的剑锋耍得虎虎作响”
but with the whiff and wind of his fell sword,
“如一阵风把那衰弱的老王搧倒”
the unnerved father falls.
“那无生命的的伊霖堡”
Then senseless Ilium,
“似乎懂其苦难 霎时轰然坍塌”
seeming to feel his blow, with flaming top. Stoops to his base,
“一声巨响”
and with a hideous crash.
“震聋了皮拉斯的双耳”
Takes prisoner Pyrrhus’ ear.
“看 那柄利剑”
For lo, his sword…
“正劈向普里阿摩斯白首”
Of reverend Priam, seem’d I the air to stick…
当心最下面的…
Mind the bottom of…
台阶
the step.
抱歉
Sorry.
“唤醒了皮拉斯的深仇大恨”
Aroused vengeance sets him new a-word,
“就像独眼巨人之锤击打战神甲胄”
and never did the Cyclops’ hammers fall on Mars his armours,
“那巨力的锤击”
forg’d for proof eterne,
“还不及皮洛斯流血的剑向普里阿摩斯劈下”