– 胡言乱语 – 不,他没有
for the sake of a very unfunny joke. No, he didn’t.
他没有,菲利普
No, he didn’t, Phillip.
如果你仔细想想,你该 会知道我为什么这么说了
And if you’ll think back carefully, you’ll realize that I know he didn’t.
一年前,我也在农场,记得吗?
About a year ago, I was up at the farm. Remember ?
有一天我看到你杀鸡的
One morning I saw you display your handiwork.
你一下子就拧断了鸡的脖子 如果我没记错的话
You’re quite a good chicken- strangler, as I recall.
哦,我- 我只是说 布兰登的故事不是真的
Well, I- – I just meant that Brandon’s story wasn’t true.
– 我不是说我没杀过鸡 – 可是你是这么说的
I didn’t mean I hadn’t killed any chickens. That’s what you said.
好了,我认为那不是个好话题 尤其是我们都在吃饭的时候
Well, I didn’t think it was a suitable topic of conversation while we were eating !
– 可是你可以这么说的 – 好了,我没说够了吧!
You could have said that. All right, I didn’t !
我们现在不是在吃东西.可是你 为什么要说谎?我不喜欢谈论
We’re not eating now. Why’d you lie to me ? I don’t like to talk about- –
关于,拧断- 我不想在说了!
About what, strangling- – I can’t play with that thing !
– 我想您拿走这些书 – 你真是太客
[ Brandon ] I want you to have them. It’s extremely generous of you.
我想您会比我更欣赏这些书的
I know you appreciate first editions far more than I, Mr. Kentley.
– 你太好了,布兰登 – 怎么了?
It’s very nice of you, Brandon. What’s wrong ?
– 你和菲利普一定要来吃顿饭 – 怎
You and Phillip must come to dinner soon. What’s wrong ?
你不想肯肯特里先生拿走那些书吗?
Don’t you want Mr. Kentley to have the books ? No !
– 我不介意他拿走那书.我只是 – 什么?
I don’t care if he has them, I just- – What ?
我觉得那么绑书很笨
I think it’s a clumsy way of tying them up.
戴维从来都是把 自己照顾得很好的
[ Brandon ] David never had trouble taking care of himself.
可是我不明白
[ Mr. Kentley ] But I can’t understand this.
每次他晚到 他都会打电♥话♥说一声的
Whenever he’s been detained, he’s telephoned.
他跟我在一起的时候总是 很守时的你有那么守时吗
[Janet ] He’s always been after to me to be punctual. [ Brandon ] As well he might.
你不知道我近来不同了 我现在就跟时钟一样守时
You wouldn’t know me these days. I’m a new woman. punctual as a clock.
这可不像个女孩,亲爱的
[ Mrs. Atwater ] That’s very unfeminine, my dear.
也许是,可是我觉得 这是礼貌的问题
[ Mr. Kentley ] Perhaps, but I prefer manners to femininity.
你说话的语气就像 父亲一样.我记得有一次
[ Mrs. Atwater ] You sound just like Daddy. I remember once- –
别紧张,菲利普
Take it easy, Phillip.
– 茹伯特好像知道什么 – 他才不呢.别担心
Rupert’s on to something. He isn’t. Now, let up.
– 我要喝点酒 – 你喝的够多了
I’ve got to have a drink. You’ve had enough.
拿开你的手!
Take your hand off my arm !
不用你来告诉我 该做什么不该做什么
Don’t you ever again tell me what to do and what not to do.
– 我不喜欢这样 – 小声点
I don’t like it and- – Keep your voice down !
我,嗯,我希望 你没有让菲利普难过
I, uh, hope I didn’t upset Phillip.
没有,他把酒混在一起了
No, he’s more likely mixing his drinks.
– 你看起来有些难过 – 我有吗?
You seem rather upset yourself. Do I ?
有,你们俩看起来 都有什么事烦心
Yes, there’s something upsetting both of you a great deal,
– 一些事像 – 打断一下,先生们
something that- – [ Mrs. Wilson ] Excuse me, sir.
有位夫人打电♥话♥找肯特里先生 或是阿特沃特太太
There’s a lady phoning for Mr. Kentley or Mrs. Atwater.
一定是爱丽思 我去椄,肯特里
It must be Alice. I’ll talk to her, Henry.
楼下大厅往左拐 第一个卧室里谢谢你
Down the hall to your left, dear. The first bedroom. Thank you.
肯特里先生,你要回去吗? 我想回去
[Janet ] Mr. Kentley, do you suppose David could be home ? I hope so.
我不想扫兴
[ Rupert ] I hate to throw a damper,
但如果戴维在家,打电♥话♥来的 就是他而不是肯特里太太了
but if David was home, I think he’d be calling instead of Mrs. Kentley.
– 你觉得呢,布兰登? – 我也不知道
Wouldn’t you say so, Brandon ? I wouldn’t know.
我印像中的戴维是很礼貌 很准时的他还是那个样
[ Rupert ] The David I remember was polite as well as punctual. [Janet ] He hasn’t changed.
但是如果他不在家 他会去哪里?我不知道
[ Rupert ] If he’s not home, where could he be ? [ Phillip ] I don’t know.
也许他在其他地方 例如俱乐部
[ Brandon ] He might be any number of places, such as the club,
去巴得里家的聚会了 还是在珍妮家?
or the Bradleys are giving a party, or maybe he went to Janet’s.
为什么这么说? 老是要扯到她身上去?
[ Rupert ] Why ? To pick her up after all.
– 我打电♥话♥回去过了 – 他不在?
[Janet ] I phoned my place. [ Kentley ] He wasn’t there ?
他不在.我留了口迅但是
[Janet ] No. I left a message but- –
我们会找出他在哪里的…
[ Rupert ] We might find out where he is now…
条件是我们知道 他今天下午去了哪里
if we knew where he was this afternoon.
我可不知道他在哪里
[ Brandon ] I haven’t the least idea where he was.
– 如果我们知道会很有帮助的 – 也许吧
[ Rupert ] It would help if we found out. [ Brandon ] I suppose so.
他去了俱乐部.我知道 他在那里为什么?
[ Kentley ] He went to the club. I know he got there. Why?
有人在那里打电♥话♥告诉我们 说戴维会在这里见我们
Someone phoned from there with a message that David would meet us here.
– 你知道那电♥话♥是谁打的吗? – 不知道
[ Rupert ] Do you know who gave the message ? No.
看来,戴维在俱乐部碰上了 谁然后改变了主意
Obviously, David ran into someone at the club who changed his plans.
– 你今天下午没在那吧,肯尼思? – 我希望我在
You weren’t there this afternoon, were you, Kenneth ? I wish I had been.
我猜你和布兰登 不在那吧,菲利普不在
I don’t suppose you or Brandon were, Phillip. No.
我们在忙着准备宴会
[ Brandon ] We had our hands full getting ready for the party.
那要做许多事的.你知道
[ Rupert ] There was a lot to be done. You know.
是的.你今天 没和戴维说过话?
Yes, I see. You didn’t speak to David at all today ?
没有,你为什么这么问?
[ Brandon ] No. Why do you ask ?
我以为他会打 电♥话♥来说他晚点到
I thought he might have called to say he’d be late.
他没有.菲利普和我自从…
He didn’t. Neither Phillip nor I have talked to David…
那天我们邀请他来宴会后 就没再通过话奇怪
since the day we invited him to the party. [ Kentley ] That’s odd.
你的意思是?我以为我今天上午 听到戴维和菲利普通电♥话♥了
What do you mean? I thought I heard David on the phone to Phillip yesterday morning.
没错.我忘了
[ Phillip ] Yes, you did. I’d forgotten.
他有讲关于聚会的事吗?
[ Brandon ] Did he call about the party ?
是的,他想确定下时间
[ Phillip ] Yes, he wanted to make sure about the time.
– 来,我帮你 – 谢谢,卡特先生
Here, I’ll help you with that. Thank you, Mr. Cadell.
– 很好 – 没事的,威尔逊太太
Very good. That’s all right, Mrs. Wilson.
你可以早上才把书放回去
You can put the books back in the morning.
– 我不打算上午再过来一次 – 我想你得过来一下
I didn’t have any idea of coming in in the morning. I’m afraid you have to.
– 现在把书放那就好了 – 哦,好吧
Just let the books go for now. Well, all right.
亨利,爱丽思那也没有 戴维的消息.她很担心
Henry, Alice hasn’t had a word from David. She’s frantic.
我最好和她说说 – 她挂了 她开始哭得很厉害了
I better talk to her. She hung up. She began to cry so badly.
– 哦,亨利,我很担心 – 她说什么了?
Oh, Henry, I’m worried. What did she say ?
她往他可能去的地方打了电♥话♥ 不止一次,打了好几次
She’s been calling every place he might be, not once, but several times.
现在,亨利,她想他可能出事了
And now, Henry, she thinks he may have had an accident.
– 她想你打电♥话♥给警♥察♥ – 警♥察♥?
She wants you to call the police. [Janet ] The police ?
哦,不,埃尼特 我认为没有那必要
[ Kentley ] Oh, no, Anita, I don’t think that’s necessary.
戴维不是小孩子
David’s no longer a child.
我相信他没事的.我
I’m quite sure he’s all right. I- –
布兰登,我想我最好回去了 我太太需要我
Brandon, I think I’d better go home. My wife needs me.
– 戴维不是这样子的.他 – 我理解
This isn’t like David. He- – Of course. I understand.
要我跟您一起去吗 特里先生?谢谢,珍妮
May I go with you, Mr. Kentley ? Thank you,Janet.
– 我帮你拿东西 – 谢谢
I’ll get your things. Thank you.
– 哦,肯特里先生,你的书 – 哦,对
Oh, Mr. Kentley, your books. Oh. Oh, yes.
我真是觉得很难过
I can’t tell you how sorry I am.
你能一有戴维的消息 就告诉我一声吗?好的
Would you call me as soon as you hear from David ? [ Kentley ] Be glad to.
我想那孩子没事的
[ Mrs. Atwater ] I’m sure the dear boy will turn up.
– 珍妮 – 嗯?
Janet. Yes ?
我很高兴我们刚才的 那一番话我也是
This is hardly the time, but I’m very glad we had that talk. So am I.
– 戴维也会的 – 好
And David will be too. Good.
哦,肯尼思,你不一起来吗?
Well- – Kenneth, why don’t you come along with us ?
– 哦,我不了 – 求你了
Oh, I don’t- – Please.
– 谢谢 – 这是你的,珍妮?
Thanks. This yours,Janet ?
– 是的,给我吧 – 哦,谢谢
Yes, I’ll just carry it. Oh, thanks.
– 我去拿帽子 – 哦,你跟珍妮一起走?
I’ll get my hat. Oh, going with Janet ?
– 是的,我们一起走 – 我的猜想对了
Yes, we’re all going together. What did I predict ?
晚安,肯特里先生
[ Brandon ] Good night, Mr. Kentley.
我希望肯特里太太 很快就没事了谢谢
I hope Mrs. Kentley’s feeling better very soon. Thank you.
记得一有戴维的消息 就打电♥话♥给我?我会的
Call me the moment you hear from David? I will.
– 跟菲利普说晚安 – 我帮你拿帽子,卡特先生
[ Kentley ] Say good night to Phillip. I’ll get your hat, Mr. Cadell.
阿特沃特太太 谢谢您能来
[ Brandon ] Mrs. Atwater, thank you for coming.
谢谢!我们得走了
[ Mrs. Atwater ] Thank you for letting me come. I’m so sorry we have to leave.
再见
[ Brandon ] Good night.
– 哦,这不是你的 – 哦
[ Laughs ] Oh, that’s not yours. Oh.
– 哦 – 很抱歉,我们弄砸了宴会
Oh- – Oh- – [ Kentley ] I’m very sorry we had to spoil it.
不会的
[ Brandon ] You couldn’t possibly spoil it.
我指我们这么早就走了
[ Kentley ] I meant by leaving so early.
– 小心楼梯 – 我们走了
Be careful of those stairs, Anita. Here we are.
– 谢谢你,威尔逊太太 – 再见,卡特先生
Thank you, Mrs. Wilson. Good night, Mr. Cadell.
– 你也要走了吗? – 是的,晚安
Oh, you going too ? Yes, I must. Good night.
– 晚安 – 让我帮你 拿那些书吧,肯特里先生?
Good night. [ Rupert ] Can I help you with those books, Mr. Kentley ?
– 谢谢你的招待.再见 – 再见.真迷人
Thank you for a lovely evening. Good night, good night. It’s been charming.
哦,菲利普,这宴会 真该记载在历史上
Oh, Phillip, this party really deserves to go down in history.
喂,好了,结束了 没有比这更漂亮的了
Well, come on, it’s over, and it couldn’t have gone more beautifully.
要是没有茹伯特的话更美
Yes, it could, without Rupert.
他帮我在这些傻瓜 面前说出了我想说的话
He helped me say all I wanted to say to those idiots.
– 如我所想,他给了 这宴会灵气 – 什么灵气?
He gave the party the touch I predicted. The touch of what ?
爱探听或是多管闲事?
Prying, snooping or just plain pumping ?
– 你知道他老是在盘问我吗? – 盘问你什么?
Do you know how busy he was questioning me ? About what ?
哼,有什么关系?你老是 在忙着感受你的灵气
Oh, what difference ? You were busy arranging that other little touch of yours.
– 什么灵气? – 那样子绑书
What touch ? Tying up the books that way.
哦,我觉得那很好呀 你不喜欢吗?
Oh, I thought that was wonderful. Didn’t you like it ?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!