我们真是考虑周全
Considerate, aren’t we ? [ Phone Ringing ]
你好?哦,当然
Hello ? Oh, of course.
– 你去弄书 – 谁?
You start on the books- – Who is it ?
威尔逊太太
Mrs. Wilson.
布兰登
Brandon.
布兰登!
Brandon !
搞什么鬼?难道你不知道…
What the devil? Don’t you have any more sense than to- –
这是什么?哦,继续 把它拖出去,我不行
What is it ? Well, go on, yank it out. I can’t.
如果威尔逊太太在这 她会帮你把它拖出去的
If Mrs. Wilson were here, she’d yank it out for you.
在别人面前如此 愚蠢的展示就像认罪似的
A stupid display like that in front of somebody else will be just as good as a confession.
现在,你拿这些 还要把握好你自己
Now, take these and get ahold of yourself.
如果你不拉上窗帘的话 我一早就看到它了
If you’d let me keep the light on, I’d have seen it.
好了!你什么都好
All right ! You’re perfect.
我们不得不如此,菲利普 你我只能承认做错了一件事
We have to be, Phillip. We agreed there was only one crime either of us could commit.
我们只做错了一件事 那就是太虚弱了
The crime of making a mistake. Being weak is a mistake.
– 难道是因为人的本性? – 这很正常的
Because it’s being human ? Because it’s being ordinary.
我不会让你或者我做…
I won’t let either of us do- – [ Door Buzzer ]
你欠我2.40美元 的士费,加上小费
You owe me $2.40 for taxis, including the tip.
要不是因为塞车 我半个小时前就到了
If it weren’t for the traffic, I’d have been here a half hour ago.
好了.我们也希望 你这个时候才到
It’s just as well. We didn’t expect you back until now.
我去了5家店才弄回来 我喜欢的特别的发型
I went to five stores for the special pate we like.
但是好贵.哼!我不知道 我♥干♥嘛那么浪费自己的钱
But the prices- – huh ! I couldn’t see any reason for throwing away our good money.
所以,我去了那家 卡德先生常去的小餐馆
So, I went downtown to that little delicatessen where Mr. Cadell goes.
但是,下一次要是我们要 举♥行♥宴会的话,我打算只…
But I tell ya, the next time we give a party, I’m only going- –
晚上好,威尔逊太太
Good evening, Mrs. Wilson.
什么,能不能告诉我 我的桌子怎么了?
What, may I ask, is happening to my table ?
我们打算搬些东西过来这边
We’re just moving the things in here.
哦…
Well…
我个人认为 我的桌子挺好看的
I personally thought my table was quite lovely.
噢,是很不错
Oh, it was quite lovely.
但您看,肯特里先生会 看下我放在箱子里的旧书
But you see, Mr. Kentley is coming to look at these old books I had in the chest.
我想您不喜欢看到那老头 得蹲下来看我那些书吧
And I’m sure you wouldn’t want the poor old man to have to get down on his knees to see them.
– 嗯,我觉得它看起来很怪 – 很怪?
Well, I think it looks downright peculiar. Peculiar ?
很怪.尤其是那些蜡烛台 放在这很不适宜
Very. Particularly those candlesticks. They don’t belong there.
我倒是觉得那些 有点像…像祭坛
On the contrary, I think they suggest a, a ceremonial altar…
可以堆放用来祭祀的牲口
which you can heap with the foods for our sacrificial feast.
哦,堆放起来倒是不错 对我来说,这地方还不够放
Hmph, heap is right. Isn’t enough room for me to set things up properly,
– 是那吗,菲利普先生? – 可以
is there, Mr. Phillip ? Oh, you can make it do.
– 你们别折磨我这老骨头了 – 这书怎么办?
You two’ll be the death of me. What’s to be done with the books ?
把他们放在餐桌上
Lay them on the dining room table.
我觉得这挺疯狂的
It’s a crazy idea, if you ask me.
好了,我不和你们吵这个问题了 无论如何我还是觉得它很怪
Well, I have too much to do to discuss this thoroughly, dear. I still think it’s peculiar.
– 怎么了? – 我相信她一定注意到了
What’s the matter ? I was sure she’d notice.
– 注意到什么? – 当然是那绳了
Notice what ? The rope, of course.
– 我们得把它藏起来 – 为什么?
We’ve got to hide it. Why ?
为什么?对呀?为什么 要藏起来?那只是条绳
Why ? Yes, why ? It’s only a piece of rope,
那只是普通家庭都会 有的东西,干嘛藏起来?
An ordinary household article, why hide it ?
它该放在厨房♥抽屉里的
It belongs in the kitchen drawer.
– 威尔逊太太? – 怎么了?
Mrs. Wilson ? Yes ?
冰箱里有香槟
There’s champagne in the icebox.
– 我们不打算喝香槟吧? – 不,我们要喝
We’re not giving them champagne ? We are.
哦,那真有开宴会的气氛了 我得打扮打扮才行
Oh, it’s going to be that kind of party. I’d better doll up a little.
我们在卡德先生家时 只在重要场合才喝香槟的
We only serve champagne at Mr. Cadell’s on very high occasions.
事实上 他在我生日时和我喝过一杯
Matter of fact, he and I once had a glass together on my birthday.
今晚你将有机会 和他重温下旧梦
Tonight you’ll have an opportunity to renew that romance.
– 我能吗? – 卡特先生就来了
May I ? Mr. Cadell’s coming.
哦,卡特先生真好
Oh, my. Mr. Cadell is terribly nice.
– 茹伯特就来了? – 是的,我想我告诉你了
Rupert’s coming ? Yes, I thought I told you.
你没告诉我,我很高兴能为 卡特先生工作.他真是个绅士!
No, you didn’t. I did enjoy working for Mr. Cadell. Such a gentleman !
有人说他有点怪,但我常想…
Some people say he’s a little peculiar, but I always thi- –
哦,你让我说完
Well, you might let me finish.
我以为你喜欢茹伯特
I thought you liked Rupert.
– 我是喜欢他 – 哦,那好
I do. Well, then.
茹伯特是这个世界上 最容易起疑心的人
Of all the people on this Earth, Rupert Cadell is the one man most likely to suspect.
他将会欣赏我们所做的事情 这样带有艺术气息的事情
He’s the one man who might appreciate this from our angle, the artistic one.
那才让人兴奋,我很高兴 这令你很兴奋.这让我很紧张
That’s what’s exciting. I’m glad it excites you. It frightens me.
我想你最好小声点
I suggest you keep your voice down.
别人太好糊弄也太闷了
It would have been too easy with the others and too dull.
而茹伯特呢 我曾想让他加入我们
As for Rupert, I once thought of inviting him to join us.
– 你干嘛不呢?更多人更好玩 – 因为他没那勇气
Why didn’t you ? The more the merrier. Because he hasn’t the nerve.
说实在的,他才不会参加呢 他那么有才气
Oh, intellectually, he could’ve come along. He’s brilliant.
但是他很挑剔.我们该邀请 他参加的.他会喜欢的
But he’s a too fastidious. He could’ve invented, he could’ve admired.
他才不会参加我们.我们更优秀 我们有勇气,茹伯特才没有
He never could have acted. We’re superior. We have courage, Rupert doesn’t.
卡特先生为了他的勇气 在战争中坏了条腿
Mr. Cadell got a bad leg in the war for his courage.
菲利普先生 你的袖子弄到芹菜了
You’ve got your sleeve in the celery, Mr. Phillip.
他们到了.我们准备好了吗?
[ Door Buzzer ] They’re here. Are we ready ?
准备好了
As ready as we’ll ever be.
你该不是练琴太累了 什么也没吃吧.太瘦了
Don’t you be so busy at that piano that you don’t eat anything. Getting too thin.
你要在他们吃光 那菜前吃上几口
And don’t you let them gobble up that pate before you have any.
希望能成功 噢,我的盘子
Let’s hope it’s a success. Oh, my tray.
拿去厨房♥.我去开门
Take it in the kitchen. I’ll answer the door.
要是你不动我的桌子 会这么乱糟糟的吗?
There wouldn’t be this last minute hustle bustle if you’d kept my table- –
好玩的现在开场了
Now the fun begins.
你好,请进.你好呀,布兰登
Hello, come in. [ Man ] How are you, Brandon ?
– 你好.把帽子放那就行了 – 谢谢
Fine. Just put your hat there. Thank you.
我等了会门是的 所以我在电♥话♥里语无伦次
It’s been quite awhile. Yes, that’s why I sounded so stupid on the phone.
感到惊奇吧
[ Man ] Surprised, I guess. [ Brandon Laughs ]
– 你好,肯尼斯.很高兴见到你 – 我也是
Hello, Kenneth. Good to see you. You too.
– 太晚起床了? – 哦,没什么
Been up to much lately ? Oh, nothing to speak of. You ?
在给考试做准备 我得在考试前把东西都背熟
Trying to get ready for exams. I always have to start cramming before everybody else.
– 我是第一个到吗? – 是的
Am I the first ? You are.
我怎么参加 宴会老是早到呢?
Why is it I’m always too early at parties ?
也许你常能准时
Probably because you’re always on time.
威尔逊太太,香槟
Mrs. Wilson, champagne.
今天不是谁的生日吧?
It isn’t someone’s birthday, is it ?
别担心,肯尼斯 恰好与之相反
Don’t look so worried, Kenneth. It’s really almost the opposite.
相反?菲利普今晚 想暂时与世界告别
The opposite ? Phillip’s bidding the world a temporary farewell tonight.
宴会后我开车 带他去康涅狄格州
I’m driving him up to Connecticut after the party.
– 你们去哪里? – 去布兰登妈妈家几个星期
Where are you going ? Just to Brandon’s mother’s place for a few weeks.
– 我得闭关修♥炼♥ – 噢?
I’m to be locked up. What ?
确保每天他会练习6小时 我给他安排了初次表演
To make sure he practices six hours a day. I’ve finally wangled a debut for him.
– 市歌♥剧院 – 太厉害了,我希望你演出成功
Town Hall, at that. That’s wonderful. I hope you knock ’em dead.
谢谢
Thank you.
– 嗯.很有装饰效果 – 你也这么觉得?
Mmm. Most decorative. Think so ?
嘿.这是什么?
Hey. What is it ?
– 我觉得很光荣 – 噢?为什么?
I feel pretty honored. Oh ? Why ?
感觉就像个 小小的告别宴会
It looks like a pretty small farewell party.
嗯,这聚会一石二鸟
Well, we’re really killing two birds with one stone.
这个宴会也是为肯特里 先生准备的,戴维的爸爸?
The party’s also for Mr. Kentley. David’s father ?
是的
Yes.
戴维要过来吗?
Is David going to be here ?
当然
Of course.
还有谁要来?你都认识的 如果你担心这个的话
Who else is coming ? No one you don’t know, if that’s what’s bothering you.
– 肯特里一家,珍妮.沃克… – 珍妮
The Kentleys, Janet Walker- – Janet.
是的,我以为 你会很高兴见到她的
Yes. I thought you’d be glad to see her.
你不想吗?
Won’t you be ?
布兰登,珍妮和我都 不在一起了.你不知道吗?
Brandon,Janet and I are all washed up. Didn’t you know ?
– 很抱歉,我不知道 – 你知道的菲利普
I’m sorry, I didn’t. You knew, Phillip.
噢,我听过些传闻.但是我 从来没有留意过这些事
Oh, I’d heard vague rumors. But I never pay attention to that sort of thing.
– 我希望你留意过 – 为什么?
I wish you had. [ Door Buzzer ] Why ?
– 珍妮和戴维是… – 你好,威尔逊太太
Janet and David are- – [ Woman ] Hello, Mrs. Wilson.
– 再多点可以吗? – 请便
May I ? Help yourself.
振作点.我觉得你跟她的 机会比你想像中的大
Cheer up. I have the feeling your chances with the young lady are better than you think.
你是什么意思?珍妮!
What do you mean ? [ Brandon ] Janet!
– 你好,伙计 – 宝贝!
Hello, ducks. Angel !
– 小心我的头发,弄了很久的 – 你的味道真好
Be careful of my hair, it took hours. You smell dreamy.
– 这是什么? – 上次你送我的酒
What is it ? That swill you gave me last Christmas.
– 我知道我的品味不错 – 是不错,你看起来真可爱
I knew I had good taste. You do, you look lovely.
是吗.这可是花了钱弄的
I won’t by the time it’s all paid for. [ Laughing ]
什么那么好笑?我 从不知道自己这么好笑的
Was that funny ? I never know when I’m being funny.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!