“My dear friend
我的挚友
Gaius,
盖乌斯
how are we come
我们之间怎么会出现
to this absurd position?
这么荒谬的情况呢?
In the interests of peace and equity,
为了和平与公道
I accept
我接受
The Senate and People of Rome have authorized me to accept.
元老院和罗马的人♥民♥ 授权我接受
…the Senate and People of Rome
元老院和罗马的人♥民♥
have authorized me to accept a truce…
已经授权我接受休战…
No, not truce. That would imply
不 不能说休战 那会暗示
that he is a sovereign rather than a criminal entity.
他是君主而不是罪人
Quite right.
对啊
A criminal.
罪人
“…have authorized me to accept
已经授权我接受
a cessation of hostilities…
停止敌对状态的建议
on the terms offered in your last letter.
在你上一封信所提出的条件之下
I await your answer.”
我会等待你的回复
Good enough. Good enough?
够好了吧 够好了?
This abject humiliation is good enough?
这种卑鄙的羞辱也能说好吗?
We are not men. We are worms.
我们不能称为人 我们简直就是虫子
Worms is harsh.
虫子太难听了
Worms cannot run away as speedily as we do.
虫子可没有我们跑得快
Caesar has not even left Rome,
恺撒甚至还没有离开罗马
Gods know why not,
老天才知道为什么
yet his legions chase us
可是他的军团追击我们
from town to town with great ease.
毫不费力的从这个城镇追到那个城镇
We’re more like sheep than worms.
与其说是虫子不如说我们是一群绵羊
If our levies had not failed,
要是我们还有税收
if we had money to pay troops…
要是我们还有钱供养军队
Yes, but they have and we don’t.
是啊 他们有 我们却没有
Let us cleave to the matter at hand. Pompey,
让我们坚守现在仅存的硕果吧 庞贝
you must give some notion of when you will agree to meet him in person.
你应该找个时间单独和他会晤
Never.
不可能
There is no reason for them to meet.
他们没有理由会晤
The dispute is between Caesar and the Senate.
纷争是在恺撒和元老院之间
It is the proper form.
这才是正式的途径
I’ll not meet the man.
我不会去见他的 决不
Never. Like a son, he was to me.
他对我来说就像是我的儿子
What he was like to you is immaterial.
他像你什么毫不重要
It is only by Jupiter’s mercy
出于朱庇特神的怜悯
that he has not already put our heads on pikes.
他才没有把我们的头串在长矛上面
Mercy?
怜悯?
Jupiter has no mercy for cowards.
朱庇特神可不会怜悯懦夫
Cato, be careful.
你说话小心点
You’ll accept abject surrender…
你要讨论接受或者反对投降?
This is not surrender!
这不是投降!
Pompey Magnus does not surrender.
庞贝?马格纳斯不会投降
I need time.
我需要时间
A truce gains us that time.
休战会为我们争取那些时间
Verrus Horta sends three jars of amber
法拉斯?霍塔送来三罐琥珀
and informs us he has left the standard of Pompey.
还告诉我们他已经脱离了庞贝的阵营
He entrusts his living to your abundant mercy.
并且请求在您的庇护下继续生活
Horta?
霍塔?
Pederast, waxy skin, red hair,
就是那个白白的皮肤 红红的头发…
estates in Tusculum. I have him, the wretch.
住在塔斯库勒姆 我认识他 是个可怜虫
Send a small bag of money with a fulsome letter
给他送去一小袋钱
and make him a Quaestor or something.
让他当个财务官什么的好了
Show such mercy to every man that deserts Pompey,
要是对每个遗弃庞贝的人都给这种恩惠的话
you will pauperize yourself.
你会变成穷光蛋的
There’s dozens of them coming every day.
这种人每天都来上好几打
Judicious use of mercy is worth 10,000 men.
善用恩惠能给你换来1万兵力
And if my last coin buys me a throne,
要是花光我口袋里面的钱能给我买♥♥个王位的话
it’s a fair price.
那也值得
A throne?
王位?
Poetic license. What else?
这是诗的破格 还能是什么呢?
Atia invites you to dinner tonight.
阿提娅邀请您用晚餐
Again? Bona Dea.
又来了? 老天
Not tonight in any case.
今天晚上不行
What excuse shall I give?
我得给个什么理由呢?
None.
什么都不用解释
This is the second time you have refused an invitation from her.
这可是您第二次拒绝她的邀请了
I need not account for myself to Atia.
我不需要向阿提娅说明什么
As you say. Not a sapient choice, perhaps;
如您所说 也许这不是一个聪明的选择
but brave, sure.
不过的确很勇敢
They say slaves talk of bravery as fish talk of flying.
人们说奴隶谈勇敢就如鱼想飞翔一样不切实际
They say that, do they? How very witty of them.
他们这么说吗? 真够幽默的
“Seeking only justice and peace
为了寻求正义与和平
and to avoid the unnecessary shedding of Roman blood,
避免无谓的流血事件在罗马发生
Gaius Julius Caesar has publicly implored
盖乌斯·朱利叶斯·恺撒公开恳求
the renegade Gnaius Pompey Magnus
背叛者庞贝·马格纳斯
to accept truce and lay down his arms.”
接受休战并且放下武器
What are you doing?
你们在干什么?
It’s rather fun, and there’s quite an art to it.
这个挺有意思的 就像是艺术
Strange boy.
这个古怪的孩子
I have just heard a very strange tale
我刚刚听到奇怪事情
about you from the kitchen staff.
从厨房♥工人那里听来关于你的
For what possible reason I wonder,
我真是很想知道
would you and Caesar be skulking about in a cupboard?
你和恺撒偷偷躲在厨房♥里面干什么
What?
什么?
We were… it was nothing.
我们… 没什么
Nothing? It doesn’t sound like nothing.
没什么? 听起来不像嘛
You seduced him, you sly little fox.
你在勾引他? 你个狡猾的小狐狸
I did not.
我没有
I am not clear it is decent,
我不知道这正不正当
him being your great uncle, but who’s to say
他可是你的舅公哦 谁能说呢?
what’s decent in times like these?
这年头 什么东西才是正当?
In any case, well done.
不管怎么样 干得好
Let’s see Servilia compete with a soft young boy like you.
让我们看看赛维莉亚和你这个小男孩竞争
What power we shall wield.
我们真是能干啊
You have it wrong.
你想错了
A good lover is a discreet lover.
好的情人一定是个谨慎的情人
He was taken ill. I was helping him to recover,
他那时候不舒服 我只不过在照料他
that’s all.
仅此而已
Of course he was, my dove.
当然是了 我的小可爱
Now in the future you must not appear too eager.
不过日后你不能表现得太饥渴
A man likes it if you play hard to get.
男人们就是喜欢难弄到手的东西
Why don’t you leave him alone, mother?
你不要烦他了 妈妈
Now, I have invited Caesar and Mark Antony for dinner tonight.
我已经邀请了恺撒和马克·安东尼过来吃晚餐
We’ll be sure you look
我们会保证你看起来
especially handsome I am not his lover!
特别帅气 -我不是他的情人!
Do not lie to me.
别对我撒谎
You know I detest it. I am not lying.
你知道你撒谎我会看出来的 我没有
He has an affliction. A terrible affliction.
他有时候会很痛苦 非常痛苦
Affliction? What affliction? By whom?
痛苦? 什么痛苦? 谁弄的?
I… I will speak no more of it. I swore an oath.
我… 我不会再说了 我立过誓
Oath be damned! I am your mother. Tell me.
去他的誓言 我可是你妈妈 告诉我
Excuse me. I will not.
原谅我 我不能说
Well, that’s very disappointing.
真是让人失望
Caesar sends to say he cannot come this evening.
恺撒派人来说他不会来赴宴了
No matter.
无所谓了
Why not?
为什么不来?
He doesn’t say.
他没说
Titus Pullo is sleeping on the stairs again.
泰特斯·波罗又睡在楼梯上了
Has he nowhere else to go?
他就不能去别的地方?
He won’t be in Rome much longer.
他不会在罗马呆太长时间的
Tell me, when is the youth returning?
告诉我 那个年轻人什么时候回来?
Your husband.
你的丈夫
Crito.
克理图
When does he return from his droving?
他什么时候能卖♥♥完牲口回来?
November. Why?
十一月 为什么?