The Senate’s hostility will prevent him.
元老院对他颇有敌意
Legally speaking, it is not…
从法律上说 这不是…
Please don’t start speaking legally.
哦 别跟我说什么法律
You know how it bores me.
你知道我有多烦它
It’s a long way to Gaul.
去高卢 路很远啊
Exactly. While yet a mere boy,
正是 你不过是个小男孩
you would risk your life to honor your beloved great-uncle.
可你敢于冒着生命危险去给你敬爱的舅公献礼
You ride into Caesar’s camp alone, on a noble white stallion.
你能独自一人骑着那高贵的白马到恺撒的营地
That’s a gift he won’t soon forget.
这样的礼物 他可不会轻易忘记
Alone?
独自一人?
Well, you’ll have plenty of slaves.
是啊 会有很多奴隶跟着你
You’ll be perfectly safe.
你会很安全的
And you’ll make your mamma very proud and happy.
而且你也会让你的妈妈十分骄傲和开心
Cato, the Senate hears you.
卡托 元老院听你发言
Pompey Magnus…
庞贝·麦格纳斯…
I have a question concerning your friend
我有个问题关于你的朋友
and co-consul…
你的共同执政官…
the darling of Venus, Gaius Julius Caesar.
维纳斯的爱人盖乌斯·优利乌斯·恺撒
Why does his chair remain empty?
他的座位为什么仍然是空着的?
Why does he not come home?
他为什么还不返回罗马来?
His illegal war is over.
他的非法战争已经结束了
Gaul is long since on it’s knees.
高卢人早就下跪投降了
Why does Caesar keep his brave soldiers
恺撒为什么还不让他英勇的将士们
from their families and friends?
与他们的家人和朋友团聚
For eight long years,
在长达八年的时间里
he has gorged himself like a wolf
他就像一匹狼一样
on the blood of Gaul,
饱食着高卢人的血肉
and thereby made himself monstrously rich.
也由此变得富可敌国
Why? Sit down!
为什么? 坐下!
Why does he ply the mob with races and fights
为什么他出钱给那些暴民搞比赛和角斗
and gaudy feasts?
还给他们开筵席?
Why has he paid the debts
为什么他帮这个元老院里的
of every reprobate fool in this Senate house?
每个无♥耻♥之徒偿还他们的债务?
Why?!
为什么?
I’ll tell you why he does these things.
让我来告诉你们为什么他做这些事情
He wants to buy himself a crown.
是想给他自己买♥♥皇冠
He wants to destroy the Republic
他想破坏共和
and rule Rome as a bloody tyrant!
然后统治罗马 作个血腥独♥裁♥者!
That’s why!
这就是原因!
Therefore, I move…
因此 我提议…
that Caesar’s governorship in Gaul be terminated immediately,
立即终止恺撒在高卢的行政♥权♥
that his armies be disbanded
解散他的军队
and that he be recalled to Rome to answer charges
召他回罗马来等候制裁
of illegal warfare,
要指控他发动非法战争
theft, bribery and treason!
偷窃 行贿 和叛国罪!
Very good, Cato.
很精彩 卡托
Full of vim and verve, as usual.
你还是一如既往充满活力和热情啊
Caesar…
恺撒…
has been generous to the people
对广大民众一直非常慷慨
because he loves the people as I do.
因为他像我一样热爱这些人♥民♥
It is the people that rule,
这个国家是由人♥民♥自己当家作主的
not you fine nobleman.
而不是你们这些高级的贵族
It is Pompey’s soldiers that rule,
是庞贝的军队在作主
not we fine nobleman.
不是我们这些高级的贵族
I’m going to save us all hours of useless clamor
我来为大家节省点时间 不用再无谓地争吵
and use my consular veto on your motion.
我用我的执政官否决权 否决你的提议
Yes! I do not…
好 我不…
I do not… Silence!
我不… 静一静!
Are we children? Let the consul speak.
我们不是小孩 让执政官把话说完
Thank you, Cicero.
谢谢你 西赛罗
I do not… However…
我不… 可是…
if I might say a few words before you continue.
在你继续之前请允许我先说两句
When confronted by a hungry wolf,
当你面对一只饿狼的时候
it is unwise to goad the beast,
去刺♥激♥这头野兽是很不明智的
as Cato would have us do.
如果照卡托说的做 就是去刺♥激♥它
but it is equally unwise
但是同样不明智的
to imagine the snarling animal
是把这只咆哮的野兽看成
a friend and offer your hand
是朋友而伸出援手
as Pompey does.
就好像庞贝这样
Perhaps you would have us climb a tree.
那你是不是要建议我们爬到树上去啊
Caesar is my brother by sacred oath.
恺撒是我发圣誓结义的兄弟
I know his heart. He is my friend
我清楚他的心意 他是我的朋友
and a faithful son of the Republic.
也是共和国忠实的儿子
And until anyone proves that he is not,
除非有人有证据说他不是
I will never betray him.
否则我永远不会背叛他
Pompey Magnus, my dear fellow,
庞贝·麦格纳斯 我亲爱的朋友
you’re well met.
见到你真高兴
Scipio, Cato.
西比乌 卡托
I would not take you for lovers of the mime.
我想你们不是笑剧的爱好者吧
You know my daughter, Cornelia.
介绍我女儿给你认识 科妮莉娅
Widow of noble Publius who died at Carrhae.
贵族普布利乌斯的遗孀 他战死在卡雷了
Cornelia, your husband was a fine Roman.
科妮莉娅 你丈夫是个杰出的罗马战士
I thank you.
谢谢你
Father, my presence is not appropriate.
父亲 我不应该在这样的场合出现
There’s a lewd woman on the stage.
舞台上有个淫♥荡♥的女人
I had no notion.
我没注意
We will not linger then.
那我们就不久留了
Pompey, a pleasant good night.
庞贝 祝你有个愉快的夜晚
If it please you, might we speak alone?
如果你不介意 我们可以单独谈谈吗?
Neither we aristocrats alone
仅仅是靠贵族们
nor you and your soldiers alone can crush Caesar.
或光靠你和你的将士们都不可能打败恺撒
Stop there.
别说了
I do not say that you wish to crush Caesar,
我没说你想搞垮恺撒
I only say that if you did wish it,
我就是说 如果你真想的话
you could not do it alone.
你自己一个人干不来
I have no need of you noble gentleman.
我不需要你的贵族
I have only to stamp my feet
只要我一跺脚
and legions will spring up all over Italy!
我的军团就会崛起 遍布于整个意大利
I can squash Caesar like an insect
把恺撒像只虫子一样地辗死
if I wished it so.
只要我想这样做
I do not wish it.
可是我不想这样
Renounce him, Pompey!
和他断绝关系 庞贝!
Renounce Caesar!
罢免恺撒!
Ally yourself with us and his strength will wither away.
和我们结盟 他的兵力自然就会减弱了
It is you who is the real power.
你才是真正的掌权者
It is you the people truly love.
你才是人♥民♥真正爱戴的人
Think you they will still shout Caesar’s name
你以为当恺撒没有了
when he runs out of Gallic trinkets
高卢的小玩意扔给街上的人的时候
to throw to them?
他们还会高呼他的名字吗?
Think you I care what names are shouted in the streets?
你以为我会在意街上的人叫谁的名字吗?
Nothing is more important.
没有比这个更重要的了
You ask me to openly betray a friend.
你要我公然背叛朋友
I cannot do it.
这个我做不到
Good night.
晚安
Oh, silly baby brother.
噢 我的小傻弟弟
Everything will be all right.
不会有事的
Is he not perfect? Proper little soldier.
他很完美对不对? 体面的小战士
He’s scared. Nonsense.
他很害怕 胡说
Roman men are never scared.
罗马男人从来不害怕
He’s just sad to be leaving his mamma.
他就是有点舍不得离开妈妈
You’re not scared, are you, Octavian?
你不是害怕了吧 屋大维?
Of course you’re not. Time flies.
你当然不会 很快就到了
Give me a kiss, my love.
亲爱的 给我一个吻
Andros…
安德鲁斯…
bring him back safe
给我把他安全地带回来
or I’ll use the eyes
不然我就把你小孩的眼珠
of your children for beads.
挖出来当珠子串
Lyco, the horse…
莱科 那匹马…
not too expensive I hope.
不是很贵吧 我希望
I’m sorry, sir, the horse was sold already.
对不起 先生 那匹马已经卖♥♥掉了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!