谁会想到我们会做这么愚蠢的事?
Whoever thought we’d do something this goofy?
这不是愚蠢的。
This isn’t goofy.
当我们还是美国孩子的时候,我们真的很喜欢丁丁书,美国人说“丁丁”。
Our childhood as American kids, we really got into tintin books, which Americans say “tin-tin.”
这是一本漫画小说,讲的是一个年轻的记者周游世界,最后经历了各种奇妙的冒险。
This was a graphic novel about this young reporter who travels all around the world and ends up with all of these amazing adventures.
我认为在某种程度上,它实际上是托尼生活的灵感来源。
I think it was actually, in some ways, an inspiration for Tony’s life.
这是一艘牡蛎船,和我第一次吃牡蛎的船很相似。
This is an oyster boat similar to the one on which I had my first oyster.
“我责怪我的第一个生蚝” “为我之后所做的一切”我追求刺♥激♥,为追求快乐而做的所有可怕的蠢事”
“I blame my first oyster “for everything I did after: My thrill-seeking, all my hideous screwups in pursuit of pleasure.”
“我痛苦又愤怒。”
“I was miserable and angry.”
该死的!我们小时候可没吃过。
Damn! We didn’t get those when we were kids.
——不,不。——他!
– No, no. – He-he!
我对“在我的家里被爱和正常扼住了喉咙”感到愤怒。
“I bridled bitterly at “the smothering chokehold of love and normalcy in my house.
“可以称之为性格缺陷,药物只是这种缺陷的一种表现。”
“Call it a character flaw, of which drugs were simply a manifestation.”
——突出,下士!——最优秀的。
– Outstanding, corporal! – Most excellent.
“一个任性的‘操♥你♥妈♥’
“A petulant ‘fuck you’
“献给我的资产阶级父母,他们犯下了不可饶恕的罪孽,爱我。”
“to my bourgeois parents, who’d committed the unpardonable sin of loving me.”
-我真的很高兴我们有机会这样做。——我也是。
– I’m really glad we got a chance to do this. – Me, too.
我们现在长大了,更成熟了。
We’re older and more mature now.
-是的。——好的。
– Yeah. – Okay.
我们再做一个。
Yeah, let’s do another one.
-是的。——好的。
– Yeah. – Okay.
好吧,休息两分钟。
All right, um, take two.
“两年前,飞行里程对我来说毫无意义。
“Two years ago, frequent flyer miles meant nothing to me.
今天,所获得的里程是我可悲的里程碑……”
Today, miles earned are the pathetic milestones of my…”
——顶部?-是的,从上面开始。
– Top? – Yeah, start at the top.
好了,第三次。
All right, take three.
我们会在开头写旁白。
We would write the voice-over in the beginning.
比如,我们需要我们所看到的背景。
Like, we need context for what we’re seeing.
我们需要一些现场概要。
We need some summary of the scene.
“之后,我将在东南亚进行另一次巡访”在这里或那里中途停留。
“Later, I’m on another swing through Southeast Asia “with layovers here and there.
“第一站,新加坡。
“First stop, Singapore.
和我的编辑ilangoh t一起吃个商务晚餐……”
A quick business dinner with my editor, ilangoh t…”
“Tanalaban”?“Tanadab……”“塔……”它是……不。
“Tanalaban”? “Tanadab…” “Tana…” Is it… no.
——Thanabalan。——Thanabalan。好吧。
– Thanabalan. – Thanabalan. Okay.
“一会儿,我在……”
“Later, I’m on a…”
托尼会来旁白,他会说,“这是什么鬼东西?”
Tony would come to the narration, and he’d be like, “what is the shit?”
你懂我的意思吗?所以…他会开始把东西划掉。
You know what I mean? And so… He would start scratching things out.
你知道,一开始它是以这里的一两个词或这里的一两个句子开始的。
And, you know, first it started with a word or two here or a sentence or two here.
你知道,然后他就变得,疯狂起来。
You know, and then he became, like, maniacal about it.
“巡回售书,做电视节目,我以旅行为生。
“Book tours, the TV show, I travel for a living.
“我一直牢记《天空购物》杂♥志♥。
“I’ve committed to memory the skymall magazine.
电子浇水计时器,49.99美元。
“The electronic watering timer, $49.99.
“免税限制:
“Duty-free restrictions:
一升酒精,两盒烟
One liter alcohol, two cartons of smokes.”
“补鞋匠甜点?我不这么想。
“Cobbler for dessert? I don’t think so.
“从机场到机场,从城市到城市”我开始觉得自己像现代版的威利·洛曼。
“Airport to airport, city to city, “I’m starting to feel like a modern-day Willy loman.
“从一个时区到另一个时区,从一个国家到另一个国家,这似乎就是我的生活。”
“Time zone to time zone, country to country, this, it appears, is my life.”
他真的很理解,就像”这是我的延伸。
He really understood, like, “this is an extension of me.
“这是我写作的延伸。
“This is an extension of my writing.
“我最好还是用我的声音来写。
“I better write in my voice.
“你知道,否则这听起来会…我会听起来像个旅行电视主持人而不是作家。”
“You know, otherwise this is gonna sound… I’m gonna sound like a tr-travel television host rather than a writer.”
制♥作♥电视节目变得“创造性地令人满意”。
“Making TV was becoming “creatively satisfying.
“我写了这本书,但还是继续拍摄。
“I wrote the book and yet continued filming.
“现在尾巴摇狗了。”
“The tail now wagged the dog.”
“我迷上了旅行,迷上了看世界,”
“I was hooked on travel, on seeing the world,”
“而且是在我看到的条件下。”
“and on the terms I was seeing it.”
“两年的大部分时间我都在巡演”在此期间我的生活发生了改变。
“I was on the road for the better part of two years, “during which time everything in my life changed.
我不再做厨师了,这份工作的日常事务“一直是唯一”能让我远离混乱的东西。
“I stopped working as a chef, a job whose daily routines “have always been the only thing “that stood between me and chaos.
我的第一次婚姻开始破裂。”
My first marriage began to fall apart.”
他们在一起快30年了。
They were together almost 30 years.
你知道,他是个传统的浪漫主义者。
You know, he was a traditional romantic.
他相信你会遇到你的高中恋人,并与他们共度余生。
He believed that you could meet your high school sweetheart and spend the rest of your life with them.
他们就像,希德和南希。
They were like, you know, sid and Nancy.
他们就像两个人密谋颠覆整个世界。
They were like two people conspiring against the world.
这是一种源于青春和叛逆的爱。
It was a love born out of youth and rebellion.
太好了。
Great.
南希,我希望你的离婚律师会密切关注这段录像。
Nancy, I hope your divorce lawyer is paying close attention to this footage.
任何时候都可以传唤这个团队中的任何人。
Feel free to depose anyone on this crew at any time.
当然,这也是生命绚丽拼图的一部分。
This, too, of course, is part of life’s glorious mosaic.
南希对名利不感兴趣,也不被名利束缚,但这对托尼来说就像是重生。
Nancy had no interest in fame or being tied to fame, but it just was like a rebirth for Tony.
就好像他死了又重生了。
It was like he died and-and was reborn.
我是说,这是一个有新生活的新人。
I mean, this was a new person with a new life.
我当时写了一部犯罪小说里面的人物对”白色尖桩篱笆墙般的生活”的渴望反映了我自己的生活”比我写过的任何非小说作品都要真实得多。
“I wrote a crime novel “around that time in which the characters’ yearnings “for a white-picket-fence kind of a life reflect my own “far more truthfully than any nonfiction I’ve ever written.
“在那之后不久,我残忍♥地把我以前的生活全部烧掉了。”
“Shortly after that, I cruelly burned down my previous life in its entirety.”
背景中渐渐消失的光芒,我想是机场的油库…我们在我房♥间的阳台上,紧张地清空小酒吧,
That dying glow in the background is, uh, I think the fuel depot from the airport… There we are on the balcony in my room, nervously emptying out the minibar, uh,
看着飞机燃油在机场变质。
watching jet fuel cook off at the airport.
我们去那里是为了给旅游频道拍一个节目关于贝鲁特是如何复兴思想,情感和能量的,我们拍了两个场景,然后事情很快就变糟了。
We had gone there to shoot a show for the travel channel about how Beirut was this renaissance of thought, feeling and energy, and we shot two scenes, and then shit went south really fast.
与以色列发生了边境事件。
There was a border incident with Israel.
真♥主♥党绑♥架♥了一些以色列士兵,基本上,我们卷入了一场战争。
Hezbollah had kidnapped some Israeli soldiers, and basically, uh, we got caught up in a war.
等一等。我,呃…托德,你到底有多恶心和焦虑?
Hold on. Let me, uh… Todd, exactly how disgusted and anxious are you?
我们能在这里真是太幸运了。
We’re damn lucky to be here.
我们把所有的时间都花在泳池边,看着直升机进出。
We’re spending all this time at the pool, watching helicopters come in and out.
对我们来说,这只是一场等待游戏。
It was just a waiting game for us.
我们不得不去地下室,因为我们身边有很多炸♥弹♥。
We had to go in the basement because there was a lot of bombs by us.
他们拆掉了我们的房♥子。
They knocked down our house.
看看那些场景里的我们。
You know, look at us in those scenes.
我们坐在泳池边,晒黑皮肤,看一场战争。
You know, we’re sitting around the pool, getting tan, you know, watching a war.
如果在整个经历中有一个比喻,那就是……你知道,可能就是这样。
If there’s a single metaphor in this entire experience, that… You know, that’s probably it.
不是奉承。
Not a flattering one.
当他们回来的时候,他说的第一件事就是,“我们不能拿这件事出洋相。”
When they arrived back, the first thing he said was, “we cannot make a show out of this.
我拒绝以这种方式利用这段经历。”
I refuse to exploit this experience in that way.”
不用说,网络对此有不同的看法。
Needless to say, the network saw it differently.
这个故事没有一个简洁的总结。
There’s just no neat sum-up to the story.
他停止做…这是我们刚才看到的玫瑰色总结。
He stopped doing the… Rosy sum-up of what we just saw.
他就停止了。
He just stopped.
在我开始周游世界的几年里,我发现自己变了。
In the few years since I’ve started to travel this world, I’d found myself changing.
我开始相信餐桌上的一切都是平等的。
I’d begun to believe that the dinner table was the great leveler.
现在我不那么确定了。
Now I’m not so sure.
也许世界根本不是这样的。
Maybe the world’s not like that at all.
也许在现实世界里,没有摄像机,没有快乐的食物,没有旅游节目,所有人,无论好坏,都被同一个可怕的轮子压扁了。
Maybe in the real world, the one without cameras and happy food and travel shows, everybody, the good and the bad together, are all crushed under the same terrible wheel.
我希望……我真希望我说错了。
I hope… I really hope I’m wrong about that.
这种模棱两可,正是他所接受的。
That ambiguity, that’s what he embraced.
他妈的开放性就是答案所在。
Fucking open-endedness is where the answers are.
这是一次痛苦的经历。
It was an embittering experience.
它让我们所有人都在思考,生命中什么才是重要的。
It got all of us thinking about, you know, what’s important in life.
哦,是录音。
Oh, it’s recording.
哦,我的上帝。
Oh, my god.
你看起来像个白♥痴♥。
You look like an idiot.
拜托,说点什么,安东尼·波登先生。
Come on, say something, Mr. Anthony bourdain.
这是我们的度假视频,我们要给孩子们看。
This is, uh, our vacation video, and we’re gonna show this to our children.
欢迎收看我的视频。
Welcome to my video.
欢迎观看我的第一部独♥立♥电影。
Welcome to my first independent film.
我的春假。
My spring vacation.
喔,喔,喔!
Ow, ow, ow!
来吧,我在开车。
Come on, I’m driving.
那用英语怎么说?
How do you say that in English?
这是一件坏事吗?
Is this a bad thing?
托尼是单身,奥塔维娅为我工作。
Tony was single, and ottavia worked for me.
托尼打电♥话♥给我,他说”这女孩是谁,奥塔维娅”
Tony called me and he-he said, “who is this girl, ottavia?”
我说,“好吧,玩得开心。”
And I said, “well, have fun.”
你知道,别当真。”
You know, don’t take it seriously.”
埃里克认为,你知道,我们是那种偶尔的,约会的完美伴侣。
Eric thought, you know, we were the perfect match for those occasional, you know, rendezvous.
你开车像奶奶一样。
You drive like grandma.
你什么意思?奶奶是这样开车的吗?
What do you mean? Does grandma drive like this?
这里,看,没有手。
Oh, here, look, no hands.
哦,是的。
Oh, yeah.
我以为他会是个坏男孩,有点自大,虽然不是我想的那样,但还是很讨人喜欢。
I thought he was gonna be this bad boy, a little bit arrogant, and not what I was expecting but endearing nonetheless.
佩尔菲托。
Perfetto.
但你知道这个节目讲的是什么吗?
But you know what the show’s about?
——没有。-这是关于我生命中的一个存在的十字路口。
– No. – It’s about a, about a existential crossroads in my life.
你看起来已经很无聊了。
You look bored already.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!