每天花几分钟思考死亡被认为是有用的、有启发性的和治疗性的。
It is considered useful and enlightening and therapeutic to think about death for a few minutes a day.
我对我的身体残骸到底发生了什么,一点也不感兴趣。
What actually happens to my physical remains is of zero interest to me.
我不想让任何人看到我的身体,我不想让任何人…我不想要派对。
I don’t want anybody seeing my body, I don’t want anybody… I don’t want a party.
“报道死了。”
“Reported dead.”
除非它能给……带来娱乐价值。我的意思是,以一种反常或颠覆的方式。
Unless it could provide entertainment value to… I mean, in a perverse or subversive way, you know.
我是说,如果你能把我扔进削木机和平底船…把我送到哈罗德,在高峰时段,那就太棒了。
I mean, if you could throw me into a wood chipper and punt… You know, spray me into harrods, you know, at, uh, you know, middle of the rush hour, that would be pretty epic.
我不介意被人以那种方式记住。
I wouldn’t mind being remembered in that way.
1 2 3 4 5 6
♪ One, two, three, four, five, six ♪
路鸟,路鸟
♪ roadrunner, roadrunner ♪
♪每小时加速♪
♪ going faster miles an hour ♪
♪要开车经过♪的商店
♪ gonna drive past the stop & shop ♪
♪对着♪的收音机
♪ with the radio on ♪
♪我爱上了马萨诸塞♪
♪ I’m in love with Massachusetts ♪
外面冷时的霓虹灯
♪ and the neon when it’s cold outside ♪
和高速公路在深夜
♪ and the highway when it’s late at night ♪
♪把收音机对准了♪
♪ got the radio on ♪
♬我就像一个跑路者……♪
♪ I’m like the roadrunner… ♪
我他妈在这干什么?
What the fuck am I doing here?
我要解释一下。
I shall explain.
前一分钟我还站在油炸锅旁,下一分钟,我就在撒哈拉沙漠上看日落了。
One minute I was standing next to a deep fryer, and the next, I was watching the sun set over the Sahara.
♬我爱上了现代的月光……♪
♪ I’m in love with modern moonlight… ♪
我意识到一件事直接导致了另一件事。
I realized that one thing led directly to the other.
如果我没有做一份没有前途的洗碗工作,我就不会成为一名厨师。
Had I not taken a dead-end dishwashing job, I would not have become a cook.
如果我没有成为一名厨师,我永远也不会成为一名厨师。
Had I not become a cook, I would never have become a chef.
如果我没有成为一名厨师,我就不会把事情搞得这么糟糕。
Had I not become a chef, I never would’ve been able to fuck up so spectacularly.
如果我不知道搞砸是什么感觉,我写的那本令人讨厌但非常成功的回忆录就不会有现在一半的有趣。
Had I not known what it was like to really fuck up, that obnoxious but wildly successful memoir I wrote wouldn’t have been half as interesting.
我说走鹃一次,走鹃两次
♪ And I say roadrunner once, roadrunner twice ♪
我爱上了摇滚
♪ I’m in love with rock and roll ♪
我整晚都在外面
♪ and I’ll be out all night ♪
♪roadrunner,没错…♪
♪ roadrunner, that’s right… ♪
我不会在这里告诉你该如何生活。
And I’m not gonna tell you here how to live your life.
我只是想说,我很幸运。
I’m just saying, I guess, that I got very lucky.
♪对♪广播
♪ Radio on ♪
-我用对讲机听到了
– ♪ I got the am ♪ – ♪ radio on ♪
♪得到了车,得到了车
♪ got the car, got the am ♪
♪对♪广播
♪ radio on ♪
得到了am的声音
♪ got the am sound ♪
-♪用对讲机对着♪
– ♪ got the ♪ – ♪ radio on ♪
得到了摇滚的现代霓虹灯声
♪ got the rockin’ modern neon sound ♪
♪对♪广播
♪ radio on ♪
我从马萨诸塞州买♥♥了辆车
♪ I got the car from Massachusetts ♪
-♪用对讲机对着♪
– ♪ got the ♪ – ♪ radio on ♪
我得到了马萨诸塞的力量
♪ I got the power of Massachusetts ♪
♪当深夜♪
♪ when it’s late at night ♪
正确♪♪
♪ right ♪
♪再见。♪
♪ bye-bye. ♪
反正你也会发现的,所以先说点实话。
You’re probably gonna find out about it anyway, so here’s a little preemptive truth telling.
没有幸福的结局。
There’s no happy ending.
他自杀了,该死的混♥蛋♥。
He committed suicide, the fucking asshole.
你要怎么做?
How are you gonna make this?
它是……这是要……我的意思是……当然,你想说什么,这就是八卦的来源,这就是……但这并不是你真正想做的。
Is it… is this gonna… I mean… Of course what you want to talk about, that’s kind of where the gossip goes, that’s kind of… But it’s not really what you want to make.
不,我想拍一部关于他为什么会是这样的电影。
No, I want to make a film about why he was… who he was.
你知道的。
You know.
我不知道。我就是为此而来的。
I don’t know. That’s why I’m here.
你明白我的意思吗?
Do you know what I mean?
我就是为此而来的。
That’s why I’m here.
嗨。我是莱斯·哈勒斯的托尼,地址是公园大道南411号♥,请在周一送货。
Hi. This is Tony at les halles, 411 park Avenue south, for delivery Monday please.
我要一根西班牙洋葱,一根松的胡萝卜,两根没去皮的葱,一箱冷冻蚕豆和一箱普罗旺斯米酒。
I need one Spanish onion, one loose carrot, two shallot unpeeled, one case frozen fava bean and one case miel de provence.
要做的。谢谢你!
That’ll do it. Thank you.
我的鱼呢?
Where is my fucking fish?
我永远不会迟到。
I would never be late.
我的厨师从不迟到。
My cooks would never be late.
卖♥♥鱼的怎么能迟到?
How can the fish guy be late?
所以厨师都是酒鬼。
It’s why all chefs are drunks.
因为我们不明白为什么这个世界不像我们的厨房♥那样运转。
It’s because we don’t understand why the world doesn’t work like our kitchens.
-等等-如果你们是匈奴人…这就是baba ghanoush。这是……我是说,这不是一个很好的展示-我了解托尼。——酷。
– Oh, hold on. – If you guys are hun… It’s just baba ghanoush. It’s… I mean, it’s not a very nice display, – I know Tony. – Cool.
谢谢你,宝贝。
Thanks, baby.
-你想要点什么?——嗯…——苹果汁。——苹果汁?苹果汁吗?
– What would you like? – Um… – Apple juice. – Apple juice? Apple juice?
或蔓越莓。我也不在乎只要我们有更多的。
Or cranberry. I don’t care. Whatever we have more of.
幸福是一个新鲜的包。
Happiness is a fresh pack.
早上第一件事。
First thing in the morning.
我是说,在我刷牙之前。
I mean, before I brush my teeth.
我是说,我从床上爬起来,点了根烟,跌跌撞撞地走进这间屋子,然后,我马上开始写作。
I mean, I roll out of bed, light a cigarette, stumble into this room, and, uh, I start, uh, I start writing immediately.
我总是用语言来摆脱困境。
I always use language to get out of trouble.
你知道,我在很小的时候就发现,如果我能让班里的每个人笑,那就是力量。
You know, I found at an early age, if I made everybody in the class laugh, that was power.
我来自一个有很多书的家庭。
I came from a household with a lot of books.
事实上,我记得我读的第一本书是一本叫《约翰尼为什么不识字》的书,是我从我母亲那里偷来的。
In fact, the first book I remember reading was a book called why Johnny can’t read, which I stole from my mother.
她预料到我会有阅读困难,因为我已经表现出反♥社♥会♥的倾向。
She was anticipating that I would have a difficulty reading because I was already exhibiting antisocial tendencies.
我拿了这本书,基本上是在幼儿园的时候自学的。
Uh, I pinched the book and, uh, basically taught myself to read, uh, by kindergarten.
然后,你知道,我早期的偶像是音乐家和作家。
And then, you know, my early heroes were, uh, musicians and-and writers.
不管你的冒险有多反♥社♥会♥,你都可以通过写一些美好的东西让它们变得合法,这个想法很早就在我脑海中形成了。
The idea that you could have adventures, no matter how antisocial, and then make them somehow legitimate by writing something beautiful about them, that concept took an early hold on me.
在93年之前,我对任何事情都不够认真,没有真正写过任何东西。
I wasn’t serious enough about anything to actually do any writing until ’93.
但是,你知道,当我有机会的时候,我做了,而且,你知道,一直做。
But, you know, when I was given the opportunity, I did it, and, you know, kept doing it.
坦白说,这整件事让我感到恐惧。
The whole business fills me with terror, frankly.
嘿。
Hey.
你好吗,伙计?
How are you doing, man?
-你们现在已经认识了——是的。
– You guys know each other by now. – Yes.
让我看看罗科结束了没有。
Let me see if Rocco’s over.
托尼拿着大刀子是怎么回事?
What was it about Tony with big knives?
它们从来都不够锋利。
They were never sharp enough.
你知道,他是……他总是……他来过感恩节的时候,我本来打算切火鸡的,然后他就接手了。
You know, he’s… He’d just always… When he came over for Thanksgiving, uh, I was gonna carve the Turkey, and then he took over.
他对我很不客气,说我没好好照顾我的刀。
He was very short with me about how I wasn’t taking care of my knives.
-嗨。-你刚出生的时候托尼见过你。
– Hey. – Tony saw you when you were just born.
还记得吗?
Remember that?
我和托尼一直以作家的身份交往。
My relationship with Tony has always been as a writer.
他从一开始就是一个很有影响力的作家。
He was such a powerful writer right from the start.
他第一次到东京出差。
He was on business in Tokyo for the first time.
他给我写了一系列邮件。
And he was writing me a series of emails.
他回到了自己的房♥间,然后又爆发了一次。
He was back in his room, and he-he did one of those bursts.
“时差让我睡不着,”所以我睡得晚,露得早,”一直在黑暗的街道上瞎晃。
“The jet lag wouldn’t let me sleep, “so I crashed late and Rose early, “plunging blindly down dark streets at all hours.
“街上挤满了行人,”人们四处闲逛,闪烁着霓虹灯,“挥舞着横幅,还有更多尖叫的标语,”穿着西装和漆皮鞋的满脸疙瘩的年轻人
“The streets were unbelievably dense with pedestrians, “people hanging around, flashing neon, “flapping banners, more screaming signs, “pimpy-looking young men in suits and patent leather shoes
“周围都是金发亚洲女人”穿着长筒靴和迷你裙。
“surrounded by dye-blonde Asian women “in thigh-high boots and micro-mini skirts.
没有人,我是说没有人,会直视我的眼睛。
“No one, and I mean no one, would meet my eye “with a direct gaze.
“我是一个安静的美国人,一个丑陋的美国人,”一个饥饿的幽灵,不停地寻找接下来发生的一切”
“I was the quiet American, the ugly American, “the hungry ghost, searching and searching for whatever came next.”
我很喜欢。我很喜欢,我的妻子凯伦(Karen)是一位图书出版商,当时她正在客厅里给孩子喂奶。
I loved it. I loved it, and my wife Karen, who was a book publisher, was in the living room breastfeeding the baby.
我把邮件打印出来,然后说”凯伦,你得读读这个”
I printed out the email and I went, “Karen, you have to read this.”
我可以骂人吗?
Am I allowed to curse?
当他们谈论这个的时候,有人诅咒吗?
Does anybody curse when they talk about this?
我读了之后就说”太他妈棒了”
I read it and I just went, “that is fucking awesome.”
我说”好吧”我会给他一个条件”基本上他他妈是无法拒绝的”
I was like, “okay”, I’m gonna make him an offer “basically he can’t fucking refuse.”
他回来了,然后我们坐下。
He came back and then we sat down.
我说,“乔尔告诉我,你知道,你有很多故事。”
I said, “so Joel tells me, you know, you have a lot of stories.”
他说,“我有很多故事。
And he goes, “I have so many stories.
我很兴奋地告诉他们。”
I’m so excited to tell them.”
他说:“我已经给它起了个名字。”
He said, “I already have a title for it.”
我说:“标题是什么?”
I said, “what’s the title?”
他说:“厨房♥机密。”
And he said, “kitchen confidential.”
我说:“我喜欢。让我们做它。”
And I said, “I love it. Let’s do it.”
你觉得托尼·波登怎么样?
What do you think about Tony bourdain anyway?
你觉得那个人怎么样?
Yeah, what do you think about that guy?
他很酷。嗯?
He’s cool. Huh?
就像”你会写这本书吗”
It was like, “will you write this book?”
“是的。”
“Yes.”
“你能在八个月内写完吗?”
“Can you write it in eight months?”
“你说得对,我会的。”
“You’re damn right I will.”
你应该和托尼的经纪人金·威瑟斯彭谈谈。
You know, you should talk to Tony’s agent, Kim Witherspoon.
我不认为托尼害怕失败,那是天生的。
I don’t think Tony was afraid of failure, and that was hard-wired.
他是那种会想,“你知道,搞什么鬼?”
He was the kind of person who thought, “well, you know, what the fuck?
让我们试试看,看看结果如何。”
Let’s just try it and see how it turns out.”
从事厨师工作28年的安东尼•波登在一本名为《厨房♥机密》的新书中透露了一些令人惊讶和不安的商业秘密。
Anthony bourdain, who has worked as a chef for 28 years, reveals some surprising and disturbing trade secrets in a new book called kitchen confidential.