we will be quittin’ this house in the spring.
等路上积雪一清,就要去德州
As soon as the roads are clear,
we’re gonna be tryin’ for Texas.
密苏里人有一半去了德州
About half of Missouri
has went to Texas.
到处有入侵的北佬
Well, the whole state’s thick with invaders.
我们又赶不走北军
We cannot drive them away.
我们想法不同,我还要战
We have different thoughts.
I still wanna fight.
我大概要永远打下去
Reckon I’ll always want to fight them.
永远
Always.
你到过肯萨斯的劳城吗?小伙子
Have you ever been
to Lawrence, Kansas, young man?
没有,伊范先生
No, I reckon not, Mr. Evans.
只怕劳城不欢迎我去
I don’t believe I’d be
too welcome in Lawrence.
那不见得
I didn’t think so.
战前我常去劳城做生意
Before this war began,
my business took me there often.
看到北方人建那座城
As I saw those Northerners
build that town…
也看到我们种下毁灭的种子
I witnessed the seeds
of our destruction being sown.
建那座城是北佬侵略的开端
The foundin’ of that town was truly
the beginnin’ of the Yankee invasion.
我不是指人数
I’m not speakin’ of numbers…
和废除奴隶运动
nor even abolitionist trouble-makin’.
而是指盖学校
It was the schoolhouse.
他们还没建教堂,就先盖学校了
Before they built their church even,
they built that schoolhouse.
教裁缝的儿子…
农夫的女儿读书识字
And they lettered every tailor’s son
and every farmer’s daughter in that country.
识字对拿锄头
Oh, spellin’ won’t help you
hold a plow any firmer.
或打枪没有帮助
Or a gun either.
不,并非如此,查理斯先生
No, it won’t, Mr. Chiles.
是没有帮助,我是说…
他们把所有的儿童带进学校…
But my point is merely that they rounded
every pup up into that schoolhouse…
因为他们想让每一个人…
because they fancied
that everyone should think…
都有自♥由♥的思考方式…
and talk the same
free-thinkin’ way they do…
不受风俗文化、礼教的束缚
with no regard to station, custom…
propriety.
所以他们会打赢
And that is why they will win.
因为他们要人人生活思想自♥由♥
Because they believe everyone
should live and think just like them.
而我们不在乎这些,所以会打败…
And we shall lose because we don’t care
one way or another how they live.
我们只顾自己
We just worry about ourselves.
你是说,我们打仗没有目的?
Are you sayin’, sir,
that we fight for nothin’?
不但如此,布尔查里斯先生
Far from it, Mr. Chiles.
你们为了保卫南方的传统而战
You fight for everything that we ever had.
像以前我儿子一样
As did my son.
只是传统生活早巳不存在
It’s just that we don’t have it anymore.
伊范先生,等你从德州返乡时
Mr. Evans, when you get back from Texas…
我们所有都会在这里等回来
it’ll all be here waitin’ for you.
杰克布尔和我,都在等你
Jack Bull and me, we’ll see to it.
这…
Well, yes.
谢过了…小老弟
Thank you, son.
战争就谈到这里吧
Well, enough of this war talk.
请女士进来,谈点更崇高的事
Let’s have the ladies join us
and think nobler thoughts.
莉迪亚!
好主意
Lydia!
Fine idea.
人多更热闹
Some company would be splendid.
杰克布尔,我们该回去了
Jack Bull, we should be
thinkin’ about gettin’ back.
北军随时会经过
Federals could pass by anytime.
苏莉!你真婆婆妈妈,杰克,外面很冷
Sue Lee!
Oh, put a gown on, Jake. It’s too cold.
北军正在烤火,分掠夺品
They’ll all be in front of the fire
examinin’ their plunder, huh?
我好想唱歌♥,一起唱好吗?
I, um, have it in me to sing.
Shall we have a sing-along?
我最喜欢合唱
Oh, yes. I like those the best.
我的歌♥声不如从前了
My voice is not
what it should be these days…
以前大家都说我唱得不错
but it was once rumored
that I could carry a tune.
罗德先生,你呢?
And you, Mr. Roedel?
我还是不要唱,会让人难过
I believe I won’t sing.
Young ears are present.
我打赌你唱得好听
Well, I bet you sing lovely.
那你一定会输
他唱得很烂
You would lose that bet.
He really does sing very poorly.
学火鸡叫却一流
But he imitates the turkey first-rate.
我出去学火鸡叫
I’d best do my gobblin’ out of doors.
你们唱
顺便站岗
You folks go ahead and sing along.
I’ll keep my eye on the road.
北军真的会来吗…
好好,杰克,我待会接你的班
Do you really think that –
Good man, Jake. I’ll relieve you soon.
克莱回来没有?
Clyde back?
他一定想跟温妮塔相处久一点
I believe he’s, uh, fixin’ to pass
a few more hours with Miss Juanita.
杰克呢?
在陪苏莉伊范夫人
Jack Bull?
In the company of Mrs. Sue Lee Evans.
你是说苏莉莎莉?
You mean Sue Lee Shelley?
罗德?
耶,霍特?
Roedel.
Yeah, Holt.
袋子里有什么?
What’s that?
我一直留着
I’ve been keeping ’em.
没人教我识过字
Nobody ever learned me letters.
那天你大声念书信
When you were readin’
the mails out loud…
我从来没听人念过信
it was somethin’
the likes of which I’d never heard.
就想改天找你再念
Got me thinkin’ you might
sometime try it again.
所以你一直保存这袋信?
So you packed those
and kept ’em all this time?
也许没什么好听的
Well, it might not be too amusin’.
只不过是听陌生人的想法
It might just be a bunch of borin’ thoughts
from one stranger to another.
不对,你念那封母亲的信很好
That one you read from the mother was fine.
You recall it?
耶
Yeah.
她的话令我很窝心
Mmm. She say things I enjoy to hear.
好,我再念
All right. Here it goes.
“亲爱的大哥,我得赶快写这封信…”
“Dear Brother,
I must write this right quick…
“我一个小时内就要离开麻省”
“’cause I say good-bye to Massachusetts
and our home in one hour.
“丹尼,我从军了”
“Yes, Danny, I’ve joined the fight…
“要离开还真难下决定”
“and a difficulter decision
never before was made…
“因我是唯一的单身汉
适合参加舞会”
“as I’ve been just about the only
eligible bachelor to dance with…
今年巴家举♥行♥的
“at Parlan’s this past year.
“少了心爱的大哥,就没趣了”
“Without my favorite brother,
it is not the same…
“虽有免费啤酒”
“although the beer has been free…
“巴家其中一个女儿陪我喝”
“as I’ve been drinkin’ it
with one of the Parlans’ daughters.
“是那个,不告诉你”
“Which one, I will not tell.
“敬你一杯,丹尼,小心子弹,比尔上”
Here’s to you, Danny,
and keep your head low out there. Bill. ”
我们也有可能喜欢写信的人
It could come to where
you could maybe like that man.
耶
Yeah.
在平时他也许做人很不错
In other times
he would not be so bad.
我还是最喜欢那个妈妈
I think though I like the one
from the mama best.
霍特
Holt…
你妈在那?
where is your mother?
啊…在肯州或是归天了
Uh, Kansas or Kingdom.
不知道
I don’t know.
只知道她被卖♥♥到德州
I know she was sold into Texas.
大概在德州
I reckon she in Texas.