你开玩笑吧
What did you think was gonna happen?
你以为会怎样
A bit of a fight.
一大场争执
It is brass-knuckle time, Chris. It’s time to take off the gloves
已到了关键时刻 克里斯 该赤膊上阵了
and I know Gore feels exactly the same way.
我知道戈尔也是这么认为的
He says it in every conference call. He wants to fight.
他在每个电♥话♥会议里 都说他要战斗
We may be ill-equipped to fight.
我们可能在战斗上处于劣势
We’re working out of a strip mall.
和人家相比 我们形同小作坊
And I’m worried about his future.
我担心他的将来
He’s a young man. He can run again,
他还年轻 还能卷土重来
but not if he destroys his career with a prolonged legal battle.
只要别毁在漫长的法律战役中
But the fight is here, Chris, it’s now.
但战争就在这里 克里斯 就在此时
Look, Berger’s moving us into his law firm tomorrow.
听着 伯杰明天就要来加入我们
Whouley’s setting up a base in Ft. Lauderdale,
沃利在坦帕劳德代尔堡设立了基地
and we’ve still got five more days before the 14th.
而我们距离14号♥还有五天
I agree that there is a battle to be had,
我同意这有场仗要开打
but we must also remember there is no shame
但我们必须记得国家面前
in placing country above party.
政党让步不是耻辱的事情
Chris, you’ve been a mentor to me
克里斯 你曾是我的导师
and I will forever be grateful to you for that,
我会永远因此而感激
but I…
但我…
I can’t do it like this.
不能这么做
We may well have won this election, Chris.
大选的赢家可能是我们 克里斯
And we owe it to this country to find out the truth.
我们肩负着给国家一个真♥相♥的责任
– Guys, whoa. – What?
– 嗨 伙计们 – 怎么?
The numbers are in on the machine recount. You gotta see this.
机器重新计票的数字 你得看看这个
All the counties in Florida
佛州所有地区
have now finished their initial recount,
都完成了初步的重新计票
and according to the Associated Press’s numbers,
根据美♥联♥社♥的数字
George W Bush leads Al Gore in that state
乔治·W·布♥什♥在佛州以327票
by 327 votes.
领先阿尔·戈尔
Holy shit!
去他妈的
All right, Mr. Klain, all right.
好吧 克莱恩 好吧
We’ll fight to count the two counties.
我们争取让两个地区进行人工计票
I want four.
四个
We agreed on two.
我们说好了两个
I want to add Broward and Miami-Dade.
还要加上布劳瓦和迈阿密戴德
They’re chock-full of Democratic undervotes.
那里挤满了本要投给民♥主♥党的废票
We won’t be able to finish before Miss Harris’s certification deadline.
我们在哈里斯小姐声明的 截止日期前不可能完成
It’s physically impossible for all four counties
在五天内完成四个地区的
to finish a hand recount in five days.
人工重新计票是人力不能及的
If we get ahead of Bush, it will change the entire game.
如果我们超过布♥什♥ 整个游戏就会翻盘
She’ll have to extend the deadline.
她将不得不延长最后期限
But we’ve got to get ahead first.
但我们得首先领先
We need to start placing pressure on her.
我们得开始向她施压了
There’s no logical reason for her not to extend the deadline
在所有选票都被计数之前
until all the votes have been counted.
她没有理由拒绝延长最后期限
The Democrats in Florida, with the presidency at stake,
这个决定总统归属的关头 佛罗里达的民♥主♥党
are asking for a so-called hand count
要求在四个地区
in four Democratic counties.
进行所谓的人工计票
How in the world can a cheap politician
一个可鄙的政客声称
say, “I know this guy intended to vote for Gore
“我知道这个家伙是要投票给戈尔的
even though he didn’t punch through the ballot”?
虽然他没在选票上打孔”
But, Bob, first of all, this process is
但是 鲍勃 首先这个过程
specifically authorized by Florida election law.
是被佛州选举法明文认可的
Maybe we should ask for recounts too,
或许我们也应该要求重新计票
but from Republican-leaning counties
但在倾向于共和党的地区县
– to offset any gains they make. – Hell no.
会抵消他们增加的得票
– to offset any gains they make. – Hell no.
不行
Why do we need a recount? We already won.
我们为什么要重新计票? 我们已经赢了
And they gave up all their moral high ground when they only requested
当他们只要求重新计算州内 四个自♥由♥主义地区的选票时
recounts in the four most liberal counties in the state.
他们丢弃了所有的道德高标准
Al Gore isn’t interested in counting all the votes.
阿尔·戈尔对计算所有选票不感兴趣
He’s only interested in counting Al Gore votes.
他只对计算自己的选票感兴趣
Al Gore is not interested in counting all the votes.
阿尔·戈尔对 计算所有选票不感兴趣
He’s only interested in counting Al Gore votes.
他只对计算自己的选票感兴趣
That’s why he’s cherry-picking votes
这正是为什么他单单选择了
from the four most liberal counties in the state.
州内民♥主♥派最强的四个地区
Now the votes have been counted and recounted
现在选票算了一遍又一遍
and in every case George Bush is the winner.
两次都是乔治·布♥什♥赢
Hand recounts are chaotic.
人工重新计票是混乱的
They’re unreliable
不可靠的
and they lead to mischief.
并会导致错误
That’s why we’ve moved on to machines.
这正是我们改成机器计票的原因
Katherine?
凯瑟琳
Katherine, there’s a problem.
凯瑟琳 有问题
18 of the 67 counties
67个地区中有18个
didn’t actually run their ballots through the machines again.
实际上根本没有把选票再次通过机器
They mostly did some sort of retabulation of the memory cards.
他们最多就是按照储存卡重新列表
That means that a million and a half ballots weren’t actually recounted.
这意味着150万选票没有被重新计算
I think we need to be very quiet about this…
我们得封♥锁♥消♥息♥…
Is somebody in my office?
有人在我办公室吗?
It’s Clay.
是克莱
You never know where life is going to lead you, Clay.
你永远都不会知道生活如何指引你 克莱
I was just thinking, 10 years ago
我在想 十年前
I was teaching the chicken dance to seniors.
我在给高年级生教小鸡舞
And now I’ve been thrust
而现在我正处于一场历史性的
into an electoral tempest of historical dimensions.
竞选风暴的中♥央♥
And the eyes of the world have landed on me.
整个世界都注视着我
The law states
依照法律
that I cannot accept returns after the certification deadline
我不能接受晚于 公♥证♥截止日期的结果
unless… this is important…
除非 事情很重要
there is some sort of natural disaster
有某种自然灾害
which prevents counties
导致地区
from turning in results on time,
不能按时提交结果
such as a hurricane.
例如飓风
Secretary Harris, Secretary Harris…
哈里斯州务卿 哈里斯州务卿
my understanding is that the law gives you the discretion
我的理解是法律赋予你判断
to accept late returns for any reason,
在什么情况下接受迟到的结果
that it’s up to you.
这取决于你
The law says there has to be a hurricane.
法条上说 得在有飓风时
Does her makeup count as a hurricane?
她的浓妆不像自然灾害吗
No, thank you for your question.
不 谢谢你的提问
We’ve all been a little confused,
我们都有点迷惑
glued to our TVs as well
还有我们的电视
and worried about the results some people have been giving.
以及对一些人提供结果的焦虑
Sorry. Um, but no,
对不起 但是 不
there will be absolutely no communication
不能与任何选举团
with either campaign.
进行联♥系♥
I’ve instructed my staff
我已经要求我的工作人员
to place a firewall around my office.
在我的办公室安装了防火墙
This woman is hopeless.
这女人无可救药了
We’re gonna need some help on this.
我们需要一些帮助
Vincis, vincit…
温奇斯 温奇特…
vincimus,
温奇穆斯
vincitis,
温奇特斯
vincunt.
文森特
Again. Vinco, vincis…
再来 温奇斯 温奇特…
Come on now, you know I don’t like calls when I’m in my class.
你知道我不喜欢在上课时被打扰
I’m just curious, Mac, are you gonna sit around and parse Latin verbs all day
我只是好奇 你是打算在那分♥析♥一天拉丁语动词
or are you gonna get into this fight?
还是要加入这场选票大战
Quo me vis?
我对现状?
What the hell does that mean?
这他妈是什么意思?
It means, “Where do you want me?”
意思是 需要我做什么?
Pink sugar!
红糖!
Sorry.
对不起
Sorry, Mac.
对不起 马克
Listen, Katherine,
听着 凯瑟琳
most people go through their lives
大多数人在一生当中
never having a chance to make a difference.
都没有机会一鸣惊人
And those that are lucky enough to have that chance