And he died last summer and then I took this job.
去年夏天他也去世了 然后我就找了这份工作
How rotten for you. Yes it was rather
对你打击很大 是啊 打击颇大
Because you see we got on so well together.
因为我们关系很好
You and your father ?
你跟你的父亲吗
Yes. He was a lovely person– very unusual.
对 他生前就是一个既可爱又不同凡响的人
What was he ? A painter.
他做什么的 他是位画家
Ah. Was he a good one ? Well I thought so.
他画得好吗 我觉得很好
But people didn’t understand him.
但世人不理解他
Yes that’s often the trouble.
是的 艺术家的困扰
He painted trees. At least it was one tree.
他画树 至少那是一颗树
You mean he painted the same tree over and over again ?
你是说他一直重复画同样的树?
Yes. You see he had a theory that if you should find one perfect thing..
是的 他有个理论如果你发现一件完美的事物
Or place or person you should stick to it.
或是地方或是人 你就该坚持
Do you think that’s very silly ?
很蠢吧
Not at all. I’m a firm believer in that myself.
哪儿有 我是个坚信自我的人
And what did you find to do with
他在画树的时候
Yourself while he was painting his tree ?
你干吗那
Oh I sat with him and I sketched a little. I don’t do it well though.
我坐在他身边 然后画点素描 虽然我画得不好
You’re going sketching this afternoon ? Yes.
下午你要去画素描吗 是的
Where ? I haven’t made up my mind.
去哪儿画 我还没想好
I’ll drive you somewhere in the car. Oh no please. I didn’t mean
我开车载你去 不用了 谢谢 我不是
Oh nonsense. Finish up that mess and we’ll get along.
废话不多说了 快吃完 我们走吧
Thank you. It’s very kind of you but I’m not very hungry.
谢谢 你人真好 但我不是很饿
Oh come on. Eat it up like a good girl.
快吃 像乖孩子一样吃完
You’re taking long enough for that sketch.
你画蛮久了
I expect a really fine work of art.
我期待一副艺术作品出炉
Oh no don’t look at it. It’s not nearly good enough.
不要 别看 画得一点都不好
But it can’t be as bad as all that.
但也不至于那么差吧
Now don’t rub it all out. Let me look at it first.
快给我看看 别擦掉 先让我看看
It’s the perspective. I never can get it right. Let me see.
是透视画法 我永远画不好 让我瞧瞧
Oh dear. Tell me is it the perspective
亲爱的 告诉我 是透视画法
That gives my nose that curious twist in the middle ?
让我的鼻子中段被画得歪歪扭扭的吗
Well you’re not a very easy subject to sketch. No ?
你作为素描模特不大容易画 不容易吗
Your expression keeps changing all the time. Does it ?
你的表情一直在变 有吗
Well I’d concentrate on the view instead if I were you.
我是你的话 就会专心于画风景
Much more worthwhile.
那更值得一画
It rather reminds me of our coastline at home.
它使我想起我们家的海岸线
Do you know Cornwall at all ?
你知道康沃尔吗
Yes. I went there once with my father on holiday.
知道 放假的时候 我跟爸爸去过那儿
I was in a shop once and I saw a postcard
我在一家商店看到过一张明信片
With a beautiful house on it right by the sea.
上面印着一座坐落在海边的美丽房♥子
And I asked whose house it was and the old lady said “that’s Manderley.”
我问那间房♥子是谁的 那个老太太说 那是曼陀丽庄园
I felt ashamed for not knowing. Manderley is beautiful.
我为自己的无知感到羞愧 曼陀丽很漂亮
To me it’s just the place where I was born
对我来说 那只是我出生的地方罢了
And have lived in all my life.
而且要在那里终其一生
But now I don’t suppose I shall ever see it again.
但现在 我不知道该如何去面对它
We’re lucky not to be home during the bad weather aren’t we ?
我们很幸运 天气恶劣的时候没在家
I can’t ever remember enjoying swimming in England until June can you ?
在英格兰直到6月才能尽情游泳
The water’s so warm here that I could stay in all day.
这儿的水很暖 所以我可以整天待在里面
There’s a dangerous undertow and there was a man drowned here last year.
那儿的回头浪很危险 去年有个男人在这儿淹死了
I never have any fear of drowning have you ?
我对溺水从来都不觉得恐惧 你呢
Come I’ll take you home.
走吧 我载你回家
Oh yes. I know Mr. De Winter well. I knew his wife too.
是的 我认识德温特先生 我也认识他太太
Before she married she was the beautiful Rebecca Hildreth you know.
她结婚之前 可是漂亮的丽贝卡·希尔德莱思
She was drowned poor dear while she was sailing near Manderley.
当她在曼陀丽附近航行的时候淹死了 可怜的女人
He never talks about it of course but he’s a broken man.
他从不谈论此事 但他的心全都碎了
I suppose I’d better have it. Wretched stuff!
你最好该吃药了 真恶心
Give me a chocolate quick !
给我块巧克力 快点
Oh there you are. It’s about time.
你来了啊 正是时候
Hurry up. I want to play some Rummy.
快点 我想玩拉米纸牌
She was the beautiful Rebecca Hildreth you know.
漂亮的丽贝卡·希尔德莱思
They say he simply adored her.
他们说他非常爱她
She was the beautiful Rebecca Hildreth you know.
漂亮的丽贝卡·希尔德莱思
I suppose he just can’t get over his wife’s death.
我想他只是无法从他妻子过世的事里走出来
She was the beautiful Rebecca Hildreth you know.
漂亮的丽贝卡·希尔德莱思
But he’s a broken man.
但他的心全都碎了
Bonjour. Well where are you going ?
你好 你要去哪儿
Oh I thought I’d take a tennis lesson. I see.
我想去上网球课 知道了
I suppose you’ve had a look at the Pro and he’s desperately handsome
我猜你已经看到教练了 他帅呆了
And you’ve conceived a schoolgirl crush on him.
你肯定幻想着什么爱情故事吧
All right go ahead. Make the most of it.
好了 去吧 好好享受吧
Off duty? Oh yes.
下班了吗 是的
Mrs. Van Hopper’s cold has turned into flu
范·霍珀太太从感冒变成流感了
so she’s got a trained nurse.
所以她请了位专业护士
I’m sorry for the nurse. You keen on tennis ?
真替那位护士感到难过 你喜欢打网球?
No not particularly.
不是 不是特别喜欢
That’s good. We’ll go for a drive.
那太好了 我们去游车河
Good afternoon Mrs. Van Hopper. How are you feeling ?
下午好 范·霍珀太太 感觉怎么样
You got on rather well with him didn’t you ?
你跟他处得不错啊 是吧
That Pro must have been teaching you other things than tennis.
除了网球 那个教练肯定还教了你其他东西吧
Hurry up. I want you to make some calls.
快点 我要打几个电♥话♥
I wonder if Mr. De Winter is still in the hotel.
我想知道德温特先生是否仍在酒店
May I go now ?
我可以走了吗
For the number of lessons you’ve had
你已经上过多堂网球课了
you ought to be ready for Wimbledon.
你该准备去温布尔登(网球锦标赛)
But this will be your last so make the most of it.
但这是最后一堂课了 尽情享受吧
The trouble is with me laid up like this you haven’t had enough to do.
麻烦的是 像我这样卧病在床 你没什么事可干了
But I’m getting rid of that nurse today
但今天我要退掉护士
And from now on you’ll stick to your job.
并且从现在开始你将重归工作岗位
Yes Mrs. Van Hopper.
是的 范·霍普太太
Nurse ! Yes Mrs. Van Hopper?
护士 是的 范·霍珀太太
Are you absolutely sure you left those messages for Mr. De Winter ?
你确定给德温特先生留言了吗
Why yes madame. I simply can’t believe it.
怎么了 是的 夫人 我只是不敢相信
He would most certainly have called me back.
他一定会回我电♥话♥的
Oh well. Poor boy. I simply hate to see him so alone.
可怜的孩子 我实在不忍♥看他孤身一人
You know I I wish there could be an invention
我 我希望能有种发明
That bottled up the memory like perfume.
能把记忆像香水一样装在瓶子里多好
And it never faded never got stale.
记忆就永不褪色 常年新鲜
Then whenever I wanted to I could uncork the bottle
什么时候需要 只要随时打开瓶子
And live the memory all over again.
你就仿佛又回过头去重新体验那一刻
And what particular moment would you want to keep ?
有哪些特别的时刻 你想重新体验呢
Oh all of them all these last few days.
所有 过去几天的所有时刻
I feel as though I’d I’d collected a whole shelf full of bottles.
我仿佛要 要收集满满一整架瓶子
Sometimes you know those little bottles contain demons
有时 那些小瓶子装着魔鬼
That have a way of popping out at you
会突然跑出来瞪着你
Just as you’re trying most desperately to forget.
正像你要试图拼命去忘记
Stop biting your nails.
别咬指甲了
Oh I wish I were a woman of 36
但愿我是个36岁上下的女人
Dressed in black satin with a string of pearls.
披一身黑缎子 戴一串珍珠项链
You wouldn’t be here with me if you were.
如果你是这样一个人物 此刻你就不会和我在一起
Would you please tell me
请你告诉我
Mr.De winter why you asked me to come out with you ?
德温特先生 你为什么要约我出来
Oh it’s obvious that you want to be kind
显然你是想要表示友好
But why do you choose me for your charity ?
但为什么选择我呢
I asked you to come out with me because I wanted your company.
我邀你跟我一起出来是因为我想与你为伴
You’ve blotted out the past for me more
你替我抹去往昔的影子
Than all the bright lights of Monte Carlo.
你的力量比灯红酒绿的蒙特卡洛要大得多
But if you think I just asked you out of kindness or charity
但如果你认为我只是出于好意约你或是可怜你
You can leave the car now and find your own way home.
那么你此刻就可以下车 自己寻路回去
Go on open the door and get out.
快呀 开门下车啊
Better blow your nose.
擤擤鼻涕吧
Please don’t call me Mr. De Winter.
请别再叫我德温特先生
I have a very impressive array of first names.
我有一个令人印象非常深刻的名字
George Fortescue Maximilian.
乔治·弗特斯克·马克西米利安
But you needn’t bother with them all at once.
但你无需称呼我全名
My family call me Maxim.
家里人都叫我迈克西姆
And another thing.
还有一件事
Please promise me never to wear black satin or pearls
答应我 你一辈子不♥穿♥黑缎子衣服和珍珠项链
Or to be 36 years old.
也不假装自己是36岁
Yes Maxim.
好的 迈克西姆

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!