She was smiling.
微笑着
“Well Max what are you going to do about it ?”
“迈克斯 你将会怎么做”
“Aren’t you going to kill me ?”
“难道你要杀了我吗”
I suppose I went mad for a moment.
我猜想那一刻我失去理智了
I must have struck her.
我必须打她
She stood staring at me.
她站在那儿盯着我
She looked almost triumphant.
她看起来几近得意洋洋
Then she started toward me again smiling.
然后她又开始微笑着向我走来
Suddenly she stumbled and fell.
突然她绊倒了
When I looked down– ages afterwards
过了很久 当我低头看的时候
It seemed– she was lying on the floor.
好像 她正躺在地上
She’d struck her head on a heavy piece of ship’s tackle.
她将她的头往一块很重的船用索具上撞
I remember wondering why she was still smiling
我依然记得当时纳闷她为何仍然在微笑
Then I realized she was dead.
然后我才意识到她已经死了
But you didn’t kill her ! It was an accident !
但你没有杀她 那是一场意外
Who would believe me ? I lost my head.
谁会相信我 我不知所措
I just knew I had to do something anything.
我只知道我得做些什么事 任何事
I carried her out to the boat.
我把她的尸体拖上了船
It was very dark. There was no moon.
外面一片漆黑 那晚上没有月光
I put her in the cabin.
我把她的尸体拖进船舱
When the boat seemed a safe distance from the shore
当船看起来离岸有一段安全距离的时候
I took a spike
我拿了一枚大钉
And drove it again and again through the planking of the hull.
然后一直猛击船板
I had opened up the seacocks and the water began to come in fast.
我打开通海阀 水开始快速流进来
I climbed over into the dinghy and pulled away.
我爬进小船里 划走
I saw the boat heel over and sink.
我看着船倾斜 下沉
I pulled back into the cove.
我折回到小海湾
It started raining.
天开始下雨
Maxim does anyone else know this ?
迈克西姆 有别人知道这事吗
No no one except you and me.
没有 除了你跟我 没人知道
We must explain it.
我们必须去解释清楚
It’s got to be the body of someone you’ve never seen before.
因为那具尸体你之前从未见过
No they’re bound to know her.
不 他们一定认识她
Her rings bracelets she always wore.
她一直戴的戒指 手镯
They’ll identify her body then they’ll remember the other woman
他们会认出她的尸体 然后他们会记起另一个女人
The other woman buried in the crypt.
另一个埋葬在墓地里的女人
If they find out it was Rebecca
如果他们发现那是丽贝卡
You must simply say that you made a mistake about the other body–
你必须说你认错尸了
That the day you went to edgecombe you were ill
因为你去埃奇库姆的那天 你正发病
You didn’t know what you were doing.
不能对自己的所作所为负责
Rebecca’s dead. That’s what we’ve got to remember.
丽贝卡已死 那才是我们要记住的事
Rebecca’s dead. She can’t speak.
丽贝卡已死 她无法再开口讲话
She can’t bear witness. She can’t harm you anymore.
死无对证 她无法再伤害你了
We’re the only two people in the world that know Maxim–you and I.
天知地知 你知我知
I told you once that I’d done a very selfiish thing in marrying you.
我曾告诉过你 娶你为妻 是我多么自私的行为
You can understand now what I meant.
现在你能明白什么意思了
I’ve loved you my darling.
我爱你 亲爱的
I shall always love you.
我会永远爱你
But I’ve known all along that Rebecca would win in the end.
但我自始至终都知道丽贝卡最终会赢
No no she hasn’t won.
不 不 她没有赢
No matter what happens now she hasn’t won.
不管现在发生什么事 她都没有赢
Hello ? Hel–
喂? 喂
Hello Frank. Hello Frank. Yes.
喂 弗兰克 喂 弗兰克 是
Who ? Coloneljulyan ?
谁 卡洛祖兰?
Yes tell him I’ll meet him there as soon as I possibly can.
告诉他我会尽快去那儿见他
What ?
什么
Well say we could talk about that when we’re sure about the matter.
就说等我们确定事态后再谈
What’s happened ?
怎么了
Coloneljulyan called. He’s the chief constable of the county.
卡洛祖兰召见 他是国家郡警♥察♥局长
He’s been asked by the police to go to the mortuary.
他被警♥察♥局请去停尸间
He wants to know if I could possibly have made a mistake
他想知道我是否有可能认错了
About that other body.
那具尸体
Well Coloneljulyan
卡洛祖兰
Apparently I did make a mistake about that other body.
显然我是认错尸体了
The mistake was quite natural under the circumstances.
在那种情况之下 弄错很自然
Besides you weren’t well at the time. I was perfectly well.
再说 那时你状态不好 我当时状态很好
Well don’t let it worry you Maxim.
别担心 迈克西姆
Nobody can blame you for making a mistake.
没人会因你搞错而责怪你
The pity is you’ve got to go through the same thing all over again.
可惜的是 你得重新经受同样的事
What do you mean ? Oh there’ll have to be another inquest of course.
什么意思 理所当然 将会有另一次审讯
The same formality and red tape.
同样的手续跟繁杂的公事程序
I wish you could be spared the publicity of it
我希望你可以避免公众对它的主意
But I’m afraid that’s impossible.
但我恐怕那很难办到
Oh yes the publicity.
对 公众的主意
I suppose Mrs. De Winter went below for something
我猜想德温特太太走下甲板去拿东西
And a squall hit the boat with nobody at the helm.
然后无人掌舵的船遭遇飓风
I imagine that’s about the solution of it don’t you think so Crawley ?
我猜想是那么回事 你觉得呢 克劳莱
Oh yes. Probably the door jammed and she couldn’t get on deck again.
是的 可能门卡住了 她无法再回到甲板上
Yes. Tabb the boatbuilder
对 泰伯 那个造船的人
Will undoubtedly come to some such conclusion.
毫无疑问会得出一些这样的结论
Why ? What would he know about it ?
为什么 他会知道些什么
Well he’s examining the boat now.
他现在在检查船只
Purely as a matter of routine you know.
完全按照惯例
I’ll be at the inquest tomorrow Maxim– quite unofficially you know.
明天我会进行审讯 迈克西姆 完全非正式的
We must get together for a game of golf when it’s all over eh ?
等所有事都结束了 我们必须一起打场高尔夫
Yes. Byebye.
好 再见
I have the evening papers madam.
我有晚报 夫人
Would you care to see them ? Oh no thank you Frith
要看看吗 不 谢谢 弗里思
And I’d prefer that Mr. De Winter weren’t troubled with them either.
还有我想德温特先生也不会想看
I understand madam.
明白 夫人
Permit me to say that we’re all most distressed outside.
请允许我说句话 我们都承受着外界最巨大的困扰
Oh thank you Frith.
谢谢 弗里思
I’m afraid the news has been a shock to Mrs. Danvers.
恐怕那些新闻使丹弗斯太太受惊了
Yes I rather expected it would be.
是啊 我多少预料到了
It seems there’s to be a coroner’s inquest madam ?
好像有一场验尸官审讯会 夫人
Yes Frith. It’s purely a formality.
是的 弗里思 完全出于形式的审讯
Of course madam. I I wanted to say
当然 夫人 我 我想说
That if any of us might be required to give evidence
如果我们任何人可能被传唤取证
I should be only too pleased to do anything that might help the family.
我将会很乐意做任何可能帮到家族的事
Oh thank you Frith. I’m sure Mr.De Winter
谢谢 弗里思 我肯定
will be very happy to hear it.
德温特先生会很开心听到这席话
But I don’t think anything will be necessary.
但我不认为有任何必要
Maxim !
迈克西姆
Hello darling.
亲爱的
Oh Maxim I’m I’m worried about what you’ll do at the inquest tomorrow.
迈克西姆 我 我担心明天在审讯会上你会做什么
What do you mean ?
什么意思
You won’t lose your temper will you ?
你不会发脾气吧
Promise me that they won’t make you angry.
向我保证他们不会令你发火
All right darling I promise.
好的 亲爱的 我保证
No matter what he asks you you won’t lose your head.
不管他问你什么 你不会失去理智
Don’t worry dear.
别担心 亲爱的
They can’t do anything at once can they ?
他们无法马上都搞定 对吗
Then we’ve a little time left to be together ? Yes.
那我们还剩一点时间在一起? 是的
I want to go to the inquest with you.
我想要跟你一起去审讯会
I’d rather you didn’t darling.
我宁愿你不去 亲爱的
But I can’t wait here alone.
但我无法一个人在这儿等着
I promise you I won’t be any trouble to you.
我向你保证我不会给你带来任何麻烦的
And I must be near you so that no matter what happens
不管发生什么事我必须待在你身边
We won’t be separated for a moment.
我们片刻都不会分离
All right dear.
好吧 亲爱的
I don’t mind this whole thing except for you.
这整件事我都不在乎 除了你
I can’t forget what it’s done to you.
我无法忘怀对你所做的事
I’ve been thinking of nothing else since it happened.
自从它发生以来 我别无它想
It’s gone forever.
永远都回不去了
That funny young lost look I loved
我所爱的风趣 年轻貌美
Won’t ever come back.
永远不会再回来了
I killed that when I told you about Rebecca.
当我告诉你有关丽贝卡的事时 就被我抹杀了
It’s gone.
都离开了
In a few hours
在几个小时之内
You’ve grown so much older.
你变得更成熟了