How’s your wife?
噢 她很好
Oh, she’s fine.
谁说他们那时离开了
Who said they left then?
-谁 离开哪 -索沃德夫妇 早上六点
– W- Who left where? – The Thorwalds at 6:00 in the morning.
噢 大厦管♥理♥员♥和两个房♥客
Oh, the building superintendent and two tenants.
而且脱口而出 说法完全一致
Flat statements, no hesitation. They jibe to the letter.
他们去了火车站
Thorwalds were on their way to the railroad station.
汤姆 人们怎会那样猜想
Well now, Tom, how could anybody possibly guess that?
难道他们行李上写着去火车站吗
What, did they have signs on their luggage saying, “Grand Central or bust?”
管♥理♥员♥在他回来时碰上他了
The superintendent met Thorwald on his way back.
他说送妻子去了乡下
Thorwald told him that he’d put his wife on a train to the country.
我明白了 这个管♥理♥员♥可真容易利用
I see. I’d say this is a pretty convenient guy, this superintendent.
-有查过他最近的银行帐户吗 -啊
Have you checked his bank statements lately? – Huh?
这些消息有什么用
Well, what good’s his information?
都是凶手编造的对自己有利的二手信息
It’s a secondhand version of an unsupported story by the murderer himself.
有人看到他妻子上火车了吗
Now did anybody actually see the wife get on the train?
我得提醒你 你说她被害了
I hate to remind you, but this all started because you said she was murdered.
但有任何人 包括你在内看到她被害了吗
Now did anyone, including you, actually see her murdered?
你 你在干什么
What are you doing?
你到底是想破这个案子 还是想嘲笑我
Are you interested in solving this case or in making me look foolish?
呃 可能二者兼有之
Well, if possible, both.
那么动手吧 去搜搜他的公♥寓♥
Then do a good job of it. Go over there and search Thorwald’s apartment.
-肯定会有确凿的证据 -我做不到
– It must be knee- deep in evidence. – I can’t do that.
我不是说现在 等他出去喝酒或买♥♥报时候
I don’t mean right now, but when he goes out for a drink or a paper.
对他也没坏处
What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.
他不在时也不行
I can’t do that even if he isn’t there.
他
What’s he…
难道他有警♥察♥局的优待券吗
Does he have a courtesy card from the police department or something?
你快让我发疯了
Now don’t get me mad.
即使探长也不能随便搜查别人的公♥寓♥
Not even a detective can walk into an apartment and search it.
如果我被发现 十分钟内就会被撤职
If I were caught in there, they’d have my badge within ten minutes.
那就别让人发现
Make sure you don’t get caught, that’s all.
如果找到证据 你就抓到一个凶手
If you find something, you’ve got a murderer,
他们才不在乎搜查的事呢
and they don’t care anything about house rules.
如果没找到 那人就是清白的
If you don’t find anything, the fellow’s clear.
虽然很乏味
At the risk of sounding stuffy,
但我还是要提醒你宪法规定
I’d like to remind you of the Constitution…
只有法官
and the phrase, “search warrant issued by a judge”
有权派发搜查令
who knows his Bill of Rights verbatim.
他必须要有证据
He must ask for evidence.
给他证据
Give him evidence.
像这样
Yeah, I can hear myself,
“大人 我有个朋友是业余侦探”
“Your Honor, I have a friend who’s an amateur sleuth.
“一天晚饭吃多了
The other night, after having a heavy dinner, he…”
他说纽约州的刑法是狗屁”
He’d throw the New York State penal code in my face, and it’s six volumes.
你知道 到明天早上
By tomorrow morning,
可能什么证据都不剩了
there may not be any evidence left over in that apartment.
-你明白的 -那是侦探的噩梦
– You know that. – It’s a detective’s nightmare.
到底要怎么样 你才肯去搜查
What do you need before you can search?
告诉我 要怎么样 一定要鲜血四溅吗
Tell me now, what do you need? Bloody footsteps leading up to the door?
我不想被质问 是你打电♥话♥找我帮忙
One thing I don’t need is heckling. You called me and asked for help.
现在却苛刻得像个纳税人
Now you’re behaving like a taxpayer.
在战争中 我们怎么在那架飞机上
How did we ever stand each other in that plane
彼此忍♥受三年的
for three years during the war?
我还是去火车站看看得了
I guess I’ll go over to the railroad station, check on Thorwald’s story.
算了吧 去找那箱子 索沃德太太在里面
Forget about the story. Find the trunk. Mrs. Thorwald’s in it.
差点忘了 他家的信箱中有封明信片
Oh, I almost forgot. There was a postcard in Thorwald’s mailbox.
是昨天下午3:30从梅利斯维尔寄来的
It was mailed 3:30 yesterday afternoon from Merritsville.
离这儿有80英里远
That’s 80 miles north of here.
上面说 “安全到达
The message went: “Arrived okay.
觉得好多了 爱你的安娜”
Already feeling better. Love, Anna.”
安娜 就是 是
Uh… is that, um…
额 是像我认为的那样吗
Anna… Is that who I think it is?
-索沃德太太 -啊哈
– Mrs. Thorwald. – Uh-huh.
哦 你还需要什么吗 杰夫
Oh, so anything you need, Jeff?
你最好送个好探长来
You might send me a good detective.
-噢 对了 杜松子酒在哪儿 -我去拿
– Oh, by the way, where’s the gin? – I’ll get the gin.
快了点 把左臂抬高
Much faster, and swing the left arm up.
再来一次
Try it again.
-喂 -喂 多尤太太吗
– Hello. Yes. – Hello, Miss Doyle?
还是我 杰夫 汤姆回来了吗
This is Jeff again. Has Tom come in yet?
还没有 杰夫
Not yet, Jeff.
-他也没打电♥话♥回来吗 -没有
– You mean you haven’t even heard from him? – Not a word.
-有什么重要的事吗 杰夫 -恐怕是的 苔丝
– Is it something really important, Jeff? – I’m afraid it is, Tess.
我一联♥系♥上他 就让他打电♥话♥给你
I’ll have him call the moment I hear from him.
不必了 让他尽快来我这儿
No, don’t bother to do that. Just have him get over here as soon as he can.
-看样子索沃德打算今晚逃跑 -谁是索沃德
– Looks like Thorwald’s pulling out tonight. – Who’s Thorwald?
他会明白的 索沃德是个男人 苔丝 别担心
He’ll know, he’ll know. And Thorwald’s a man, Tess. Don’t worry.
晚安 你这傻瓜
Good night, you idiot.
晚安
Good night.
又是长途电♥话♥
Long distance again.
有人敲门 是谁
There’s somebody at the door. Who’s at the door?
-你好
– Hi.
你好
Hello.
-你头发怎么了 -我
– What’d you do to your hair? – Oh, I just…
看看索沃德先生 他正准备逃跑
Take a look at Thorwald. He’s getting ready to pull out for good. Look at him.
他好像不太着急
He doesn’t seem to be in any hurry.
他已经把东西都放在床上了
He’s been laying out all his things on one of the beds:
衬衫 西装 外套 袜子
shirts, suits, coats, socks.
还有他妻子留在床头的鳄鱼皮手提包
Even that alligator handbag his wife left on the bedpost.
包在哪
What about it?
他藏在梳妆台里 之前一直在那
He had it hidden in the dresser. At least, it was there.
他刚才把它拿了出来 打了个长途电♥话♥
He took it out, went to the telephone and made a long- distance call.
包里有他妻子的手饰
He had his wife’s jewelry in the handbag.
看起来他有些担心 打电♥话♥找人商量
Seemed worried about it. Asked someone’s advice over the telephone.
那人肯定不是他妻子
Someone not his wife.
对 我从未见过他找妻子商量
Well, I never saw him ask her for advice.
她到是很主动 但他从不找她
She volunteered plenty, but I never saw him ask her for any.
-他会去哪儿 -不知道
– I wonder where he’s going. – I don’t know.
万一他不回来呢
Suppose he doesn’t come back?
不会的 他的东西还在
He’ll be back. His things are still there.
-我想现在可以开灯了 -不 等一会
– I guess it’s safe to put on some lights now. – No, not yet.
好的 开吧 他往右边去了
Okay, you can turn it on now. He must have gone someplace to the right.
我一整天都没法集中精力工作
All day long, I’ve been trying to keep my mind on my work.
想着索沃德的事
Thinking about Thorwald?
还有你和你的朋友多尤
And you and your friend, Doyle.
-有他的消息吗 -没有
– Did you hear from him again since he left? – Not a word.
他去查火车站和箱子了
He said he was gonna check the railroad station and the trunk.
大概还没忙完
He must be still at it.
你在想什么
Something on your mind?
-这很不对劲 -什么
– It doesn’t make sense to me. – What doesn’t?
女人不会这么粗心
Women aren’t that unpredictable.
我不明白你的意思
Hmm. Well, I can’t guess what you’re thinking.
一个女人很喜欢她的手提包
A woman has a favorite handbag,
总是把它带在身边
and it always hangs on her bedpost where she can get at it easily.
有一天她出远门 却没带它 为什么
Then, all of a sudden, she goes away on a trip and leaves it behind. Why?
因为她不知道自己要出远门
Because she didn’t know she was going on a trip,
或者她要去的地方不需要带包
and where she’s going, she wouldn’t need the handbag.
对 可他丈夫知道
Yes, but only her husband would know that.
还有手饰 女人不会把手饰胡乱堆放在包中
And that jewelry… Women don’t keep their jewelry in a purse
还有手饰 女人不会把手饰胡乱堆放在包中
getting all twisted and scratched and tangled up.
-那放在丈夫衣服里 -不会
– Well, do they hide it in their husband’s clothes? – They do not.
而且她们不会把手饰放在家里的
And they don’t leave it behind either.
除了上医院 女人都要化妆
Why, a woman going anywhere
喷香水 戴手饰的
but the hospital would always take makeup, perfume and jewelry.
放那儿 这是你们的内部秘密
Put that over there. That’s inside stuff, huh?
这是基本的要求
It’s basic equipment.
绝不会放在手提包里
And you don’t leave it behind in your husband’s drawer
留在丈夫的抽屉中
in your favorite handbag.
我也很怀疑 亲爱的
I’m with you, sweetie. I’m with you.
但汤姆 多尤说