我说的是废话吗?
Are my words shit?
我是说 神学院教这个吗?
I mean, do they teach that at divinity school?
如何像先知一样说话
How to speak like a prophet?
牧师 我为我弟弟非常不恰当的言论道歉
I apologize for my very unhappy brother, Reverend.
不用担心 今天对大家来说都很艰难
No worries. A difficult day for all.
但他为什么需要牧师?
But what’s he even need a pastor for anyway?
据我所知 他是犹太人
The last time I checked, he was Jewish.
再以前他是佛教♥徒♥ 还当过穆♥斯♥林♥
He was Buddhist before that. Muslim.
哈里斯是个勤勉的探索者
Harris was a restless seeker.
他在50岁时受割礼
He was circumcised at 50.
别说了
That’s enough.
这我就不知道了 但一定很疼
I did not know that. Painful, I’m sure.
日期呢?为什么墓碑上没写日期?
What about the dates? How come there are no dates?
他从来都不确定自己的生日是哪天
He was never sure about his birthday.
又不想写个错的日期到墓碑上
所以选择不写
Didn’t want the stone to be wrong, so he opted for no dates.
谁会发现或者在乎日期是不是错的?
Who would know or care if it was wrong?
对将死之人来说 没什么事是重要的
Few things matter to a dying man.
这事对他很重要
This mattered to him.
牧师 请尽可能保持世俗一点 好吗?
Just keep it secular as best you can. Huh, Rev.?
我是个基♥督♥教牧师 雷伊
I’m a Christian pastor, Ray.
他们在那边 亲爱的
That’s them, my love.
我来帮你
Let me help with that.
谢谢 牧师
Thank you, Reverend.
太感谢了
Thank you very much.
坎菲尔德先生
Mr. Canfield.
德尔珈朵女士
Ms. Delgado.
嗨 各位 这是我的儿子西蒙
Hi, guys. This is my son, Simon.
雷蒙德和雷伊是你的哥哥们
Raymond and Ray. Your brothers.
很高兴见到你们
Nice to meet you.
你好
Hello.

Hey.
去那边
Over there.
牧师 谢谢
Thank you, Reverend.
嘿 我能问你点儿事吗?
当然可以
-Hey, can I ask you something? -Yeah, of course.
你知道我父亲留在医院的东西
现在在哪儿吗?
My father’s stuff back at the hospital, do you know where that is?
在家里 你要找什么?
At home. What are you looking for?
他的手♥机♥
His cell phone.
哈里斯把手♥机♥留给西蒙了 是的
Harris left that to Simon. Yeah.
西蒙 过来
Simon, come here.
把手♥机♥给你哥哥看看
Show your brother the phone.
里面有音乐吗?
You got any music on here?
还没有 今天刚重置过
Not yet. Just reset it today.
他是技术达人
He’s a techie.
所以说 这里没有哈里斯听的音乐?
没有
-So, you don’t have any of Harris’s stuff? -No.
你备份了吗?
Did you back it up?
没有 干吗要备份?
No, what for?
谢了
Thanks.
喝威士忌的牧师 嘿
A whiskey priest, hey.
雷伊 别对我妄加评论
Don’t judge me, Ray.
我和其他人一样也有弱点
Just a fellow like any other, running on feet of clay.
你和哈里斯因为喝酒认识的?
Is that how you and Harris found each other?
不是 哈里斯在我们认识前就戒酒了
Nah. Harris stopped drinking before I met him.
他说戒酒令他重生
He said it revived him, being sober.
他快70岁时生了那个男孩
He was in his late 60s when he fathered that boy.
生命是不可阻挡的
Life is unstoppable.
还有就是 这可不是神学院学来的
And no, that is not from divinity school.
雷伊 你有家庭吗?
没有
-You got a family, Ray? -No.
我不知道该拿孩子怎么办才好
I wouldn’t know what to do with a kid.
尤其是男孩
Especially a boy.
养女孩会容易点吗?
Is a girl any easier?
因为我有个女儿 折了我许多年的寿
‘Cause I got a girl and… taken years off my life.
男孩有什么问题呢?
What is it about a boy?
牧师 打住吧
Back off, Reverend.
不过我倒是有个问题想问问你
Got a question for you, though.
你真以为哈里斯信上帝吗?
You really think that Harris believed in God?
我不在乎
不是吧 骗人
-I don’t care. -No, come on. You’re shitting me.
重要的是 我们都属于
比自己更伟大的事物
What matters is that we all belong to something greater than us.
一种无穷无尽
An infinite.
你父亲深知这点
Your father knew that.
不可能
No.
这是一种谦卑的想法
That is a humble thought,
我父亲从来就不是个谦卑的人
and my father didn’t have a humble bone in his body.
也许当他意识到自己将离世时
就变得谦卑了
Maybe he grew one when he realized the end was near.
是啊 也许快死的时候会容易些
Yeah, maybe it’s easier at the end.
那时候所有的恶霸都吓得屁滚尿流
That’s when all the bullies shit their pants.
不对 他从来就没怕过
Nah, he was never scared.
唯一难过的是这段美妙的人生之旅结束了
Only sad that the wonderful ride was over.
这是他的原话 “美妙的人生之旅”
That’s how he put it. “The wonderful ride.”
雷伊 和我聊聊
Talk to me, Ray.
聊什么?
What about?
有什么好聊的?
What for?
再过几个小时 一切都会结束
It’s all gonna be over, a couple hours.
你确定?
You sure about that?
是的
Oh, yeah.
我来吧
I got it.
那小子让我很烦
That boy, he bugs me.
这里没信♥号♥♥ 不过也合理
No reception here. That makes sense.
你在哪儿上班?
Where do you work?
辛辛那提市水电局 挺无聊的
Water and Power Department in Cincinnati. It’s not very exciting.
你不喜欢这工作?
You don’t like it?
那就换个工作
Find something else.
我不知道
I don’t know.
一个令人兴奋的工作也可以很稳定
You can have stability with an exciting job.
冒险会让你感到生机无限
Risk makes you feel alive.
有时候 即使工作做不好也不错
Sometimes even getting a little sloppy can be good.
是吗?
是的
-Can it? -Yeah.
你可真逗
You are so funny.
我一周开四天优步 做三个晚上的酒保
I drive an Uber four days a week, and I am a bartender three nights.
开车简单一点 但在酒吧做更赚钱
The driving is easier, but the bar is more money.
这两份工作都让我能够
每天近距离地观察各种人
Both jobs give me a front-row seat to the human circus every day.
要擦防晒霜 太阳是一个无声的杀手
Sunscreen. The sun is a silent killer.
继续挖
Keep going.
西蒙 别在那儿撒尿
Simon, please! Don’t do that here!
又没人管
Nobody cares.
难以置信
Incredible.
快停下
Stop.
该我挖了
It’s my turn.
我不确定这是否可行
我是说 法律上我需要…
I’m not sure that’s going to be possible. I mean, legally I would need to–
拜托 那也是他爸
Come on. It’s his birthright.
对 我觉得可以
Yeah, I think it’s okay.
来吧
Here.
韦斯特先生?
Mr. West?
韦斯特牧师 有何贵干?
抱歉我们来晚了
-Reverend West. Yes? -Sorry we’re late.
我们的一个航♥班♥延误了
你们没迟到 你是里昂?
-One of our flights was delayed. -You’re not late. Leon?
里昂
里昂
-Leon. -Leon.
里昂 文森特

-Leon, Vincent. -Yeah.
雷蒙德和雷伊 那边是西蒙
Raymond. Ray. That’s Simon over there.
请节哀
Condolences.
深表同情
Our sympathies.
谢谢
Thank you.
哈里斯和我们的母亲
都是一个社区中心的管♥理♥员♥
Harris and our mother were custodians at a community center
1990年代在塔拉哈西
塔拉哈西

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!