你得仔细听
You have to listen.
是的
Yes.
是的
Yeah.
是的,你可以听到
Yes, you can.
喔…喔
OH-OH.
你听到了?
You hear that?
什么?
What?
她的心脏跳了一下
Her heart just
skipped a beat.
噢,你喜欢我的专辑吗?
Oh, did you like my record?
金·比伊放的那首吗?
The one that King Bee
was playin’?
那真是太好了
It was very nice.
非常与众不同
Different than the others.
我听过很多你的音乐
I’ve heard
a lot of your music.
也很棒吗?
Was it very nice, too?
瞧,安特怀恩小姐,如果你不喜欢
Look, Miss Antwine, if you
don’t really like the record,
你不必拐弯抹角,我妈妈从不这样做
you ain’t got to beat around the bush
with me. I mean, my mama never did.
并不是我不喜欢你的音乐
It’s not that I don’t
enjoy your music.
只是我觉得似乎以前听过
It’s just that I feel
I’ve heard it before.
我非常想听听真正的雷·查尔斯的声音
I keep wondering what the
real Ray Charles sound like.
雷·查尔斯?他是谁?
Ray Charles? Who’s he?
谁也不是,如果你不知道的话
Nobody,
if you don’t know.
啊?
Huh?
对不起,我真该闭上嘴
Sorry. I should have
kept my mouth shut.
哦,不,不,如果那样你就不是你了
Oh, no, no.
Then you wouldn’t be you.
你知道,这话我也不是没听过
You know, it’s not like I
haven’t heard that before.
我想只是,我没有真的听进去
I guess I just, uh, never
really listened, that’s all.
也因为没有人像你这么可爱,我想
Ain’t nobody ever put
it that sweet, I guess.
你知道吗,黛拉·比伊·安特怀恩小姐
You know what,
Miss Della Bea Antwine?
你是个乡村姑娘对吗?
You really are a country girl.
You know that?
是的,你怎么知道的?
Yes.
How’d you know?
我可以从你的习惯看出来
I could tell by
the way you ordered.
「我要给玉米加点蜂蜜」
“Let me get molasses
with my cornbread.”
你是在农场长大的吗?
Were you raised
on a farm?
我妈妈在佛罗里达种田
My mother did a little
sharecropping in Florida.
她还在那儿吗?
Is she still there?
上帝祝福她,我去上学的时候她去世了
God bless her heart, she passed
away when I went to school.
雷,我很遗憾
Ray, I’m sorry.
她从没真正健康过
She never was
real healthy.
她到死都在工作,可怜的人
She just worked herself
to death, poor thing.
所以她不想让我围着铁盆转
That’s why she didn’t want
me carrying around no tin cup.
跟我一起上学的孩子们
The kids
I went to school with,
他们会编一些篮之类的东西
they were doing basket-weavin’
and wickerwork.
但不是你,因为你的天赋
But not you.
Because of your gift.
因为我的耳朵
Because of my ears.
我可以模仿任何人
See, I can mimic
damn near anybody,
我以次谋生过得还不错
and I… I… I… I make
a pretty decent living at it.
只是,一旦我改变了风格
It’s just, if I
change my style up
而人们却不喜欢
and people
really don’t dig it,
我是说,那我还会剩下什么?
I mean, what am I
left with, you know?
我是说,如果你也是个盲人,安特怀恩小姐
I mean, when you’re blind,
Miss Antwine,
你没有太多选择
you ain’t got
that many choices.
依我看你有很多选择
Seem to me like you got all
the choices in the world.
上帝给了你一副好嗓子
God gave you
the gift to sound
很多人求之不得
like anybody you please,
even yourself.
我们到了,我就住在这里
We’re here.
This is where I live.
你认为教士会让我进去吗?
Well, you think
the preacher’d let me in?
我是说,我是个罪人,我要祈祷
I mean, uh, I’m a sinner,
but I need a little prayer.
他妻子不喜欢我和男人在一起
His wife don’t like
me having male company.
好吧,告诉他外面有个游魂需要他来拯救
Well, tell him there’s a soul
out here that needs savin’.
你知道吗,安特怀恩小姐
你真的让我开始考虑
You know what, Miss Antwine,
you really got me thinkin’.
考虑什么?
About what?
我的生活,我的音乐
About my life.
About my music.
我的一切
About everything.
雷,你不觉得我们进展太快了吗?
Ray, don’t… don’t you think
we’re movin’ a little fast?
听着,我要去纽约
Listen, I’m… I’m gonna
go to New York
要去两个星期,等我回来的时候
for a couple of weeks,
and when I get back,
你想多慢就多慢
you can take it as
slow as you want.
好吧,查尔斯先生
All right, Mr. Charles.
很好,安特怀恩小姐
All right, Miss Antwine.
两星期以后见
I’ll see you
in a couple of weeks.
等等,让我帮你叫辆出租车
Well, hold on, now.
Let me call you a cab.
没关系,三个突起
I got it. Three blocks up,
左边两个,右边一个
left for two, right for one.
十五级台阶
Fifteen giant steps,
然后我就到白水晶宾馆了,你好
and I’m at the
Crystal White Hotel. Hello.
「瞎混」是我们跨出的第一步,雷
Mess Around was
a positive step for us, Ray.
我们必须更进一步
We’re making progress.
噢,来吧,亚美特,你们对我太好了
Oh, come on, Ahmet.
Now, you’ve been nice to me.
但是我却没给你们什么回报
But I haven’t given
you guys any hits.
大西洋唱片公♥司♥对我很好
Atlantic Records
has been good to me,
但是如果你们想让我做出一些特别的东西
but if you want me to do
something special,
我必须有自己的乐队
I’m gonna need my own band.
伙计,搞一个乐队可要花不少钱啊,雷
Oh, man. Taking a band out
on the road costs a mint, Ray.
我是说,乔·莫里斯也在争取
他的乐队有一张很畅销的专辑
I mean, even Joe Morris is struggling.
His band’s had a hit record.
但是,亚美特,听着,我不是乔·莫里斯
But, Ahmet, listen,
I’m not Joe Morris.
伙计,你说过我要便士,就给我便士
Man, you told me if I think
pennies, I get pennies.
现在我想要美元,伙计
I’m thinking dollars,
man.
鲁思·布朗要去乔治亚州巡回演出
Ruth Brown’s got
a tour booked in Georgia.
她需要一个乐队
She needs a band.
给我吧
I… I’ll take it.
我可以为她写歌♥,给她做后援
I could write the charts
for her, I… I could do backup,
同样是公开演出
and also be an openin’ act.
好吧
Okay.
但是你也要负担一部分费用
But you’re going to be
financially responsible.
还有你必须让它派上用场,雷
You’re gonna have
to make it work, Ray.
是的,是的,我会让它物尽其用的
Yeah, yeah, I’m gonna make it