– Charles… – I shall come. Often.
– 我很高兴有你这个叔叔 – 谢谢你 基蒂
– I’m terribly glad you’re my uncle. – Thank you, Kitty.
– 再见 – 再见 先生
– Goodbye. – Goodbye, sir.
– 真遗憾你要走了 – 没什么 查尔斯
– Sorry you’re leaving. – Well, Charles.
你要保重啊! 对不起 我的右手没空啊!
Take care, old chap, won’t you? Excuse my left hand.
查尔斯叔叔! 我是来跟你道别的
Hello, Uncle Charles! I’ve come to say goodbye!
– 基蒂 你们要走了吗? – 是的
– Hello, Kitty. You off, Julian? – Yes.
我才不想叫你叔叔呢? 你又不是我的亲叔叔
I don’t think I shall call you uncle. You’re not really my uncle.
小女孩 再见 查尔斯 我们还会再见的
Forward minx. Goodbye, Charles. Let’s meet again sometime, somewhere.
肯定会再见的
We must.
– 再见 小姐 – 再见
– Goodbye, young woman. – Goodbye.
我们坐下来 好吗?过来吧
Let’s sit down, shall we? Come on.
我妈过一会才会下来 她总是慢腾腾的
Mother will be hours yet. She’s always late.
我能抽一口吗?
Can I have a puff of that cigarette?
你能抽吗?
Do you think you should?
克伍得学校的女孩六年级就开始抽烟了
All the girls at Kerwood smoke as soon as they’re in sixth.
– 你不会介意吧? – 不会
– You don’t mind, do you? – Why should I?
查尔斯 你…
Charles, aren’t you going to be…
一个人住那么大的房♥子 不会寂寞吗?
terribly lonely all by yourself in this big house?
可能会吧 怎么了?
Perhaps. Why?
长♥期♥孤独的人
Only when people are lonely…
一般都会娶他第一个遇见的女孩
they’re rather apt to marry the first woman who comes along.
这话对吗?
It doesn’t do, you know.
– 不对 – 永远不对吗?
– It doesn’t? – Never.
对你这个年龄的女孩来说 不对
Not once, in all your years of experience?
我再过3年就18岁了
I shall be 18 in three years.
– 我会记住你的 – 你会吗?
– I’ll keep you in mind. – Will you?
我知道你在笑话我
I know you’re laughing at me…
但是这3年请你千万要记的我
but please don’t do anything rash in the meantime…
因为我第一眼看到你 就喜欢上你了
because I do like you awfully, from the very first moment.
这3年可是很长的啊!
Is this a leap year, by any chance?
我不管 也不在乎
I don’t know, and I don’t care.
– 我说了我是认真的 – 我会认真考虑的
– I’ve said it and I mean it. – I’ll have to think it over.
放假的时候我可以过来吗?
Anyway, don’t you think that I might come here in the holidays…
过来照顾你
and sort of take care of you?
– 你妈同意吗? – 吉尔?他会同意的
– What would Mother say? – Jill? She wouldn’t mind.
– 她才不想我陪着她呢! – 基蒂!
– She loves to get rid of me. – Kitty!
你能跟我写信吗?
You’ll write to me, won’t you?
– 基蒂! – 可以吗?
– Kitty! – Will you?
好吧 听你的
All right, if you want me to.
我过来了
Here I am, waiting.
再见 查尔斯 再见 谢尔登
Goodbye, Charles. Goodbye, Sheldon.
– 我得快点 – 再见 亲爱的
– I’ve simply got to fly. – Goodbye, my dear.
– 你回来真是太好了 基蒂 上车了 – 再见
– Lovely to see you. Come along, Kitty! – Goodbye.
– 再见 基蒂 – 再见 查尔斯叔叔
– Goodbye, Kitty. – Goodbye, Uncle Charles.
谢谢你邀请我放假来玩
Thanks for asking me to come and visit you in the holidays.
– 你在家吃饭吗 先生? – 对
– Will you be dining at home, sir? – Yes, I suppose so.
– 一个人吗? – 这里又没别人
– Alone, sir? – There’s no one else, is there?
我想你可以请牧师和汉普斯特医生过来
I thought perhaps you might like to ask the vicar or Dr. Hampstead.
不要了 谢谢你 谢尔登
I don’t think so, Sheldon. Thank you.
我担心你一个人太孤独了
I’m afraid you’ll be very lonely in this great house.
先生 我可以问你 你对将来有什么打算吗?
May one ask, sir, have you any plans for the future?
没有 我也许会回剑桥…
No. I might go back to Cambridge.
完成我的学业
I never got my degree.
我也许会当个作家 我一直想当作家
I might take a fling at writing. I always wanted to, if you remember.
我不知道我父亲想我做什么?
I wonder what he would have liked me to do.
我认为他一直都想让你继承他的产业
I think he always wanted you to carry on at Rainier’s where he left off, sir.
但是切特先生 他已经是雷纳财团的继承人了
But Mr. Chetwynd is head of Rainier’s now.
现在是 不过将来…
Yes, now, sir, but… We shall see.
我不是经商的料
In any case, I’m not a businessman.
– 你尝试过了吗? – 没有
– Have you ever tried, sir? – No.
我真想知道我在当时利物浦做什么?
I wonder what I was doing in Liverpool.
“亲爱的查尔斯叔叔…”
“Dear Uncle Charles…”
或者“亲爱的查尔斯”
or “Dear Charles.”
你在想什么呢?
What do you think?
他不是我的亲叔叔 你知道的 所有我要…
He’s not really my uncle, you know, and I have intentions.
“亲爱的查尔斯 现在你已经从剑桥毕业 开始从商”
“Dear Charles, so you’ve left Cambridge and gone into the business.
“其实 我知道你并不想离开书本…”
“What a shame. I know you hated to leave your books…
“离开剑桥”
“and that quiet corner of the river where Rupert Brooke used to dream.
“但我母亲说你是经商的天才 所以我们很快就会重新成为富人”
“Mother says you’re simply a wizard at it. We’re all going to be rich again.
“盼早日回复”
“Write to me soon.
“我保存着你所有的信”
“I keep all your letters.
“一个多愁善感的大学女生”
“Sentimental little college girl.
“亲爱的查尔斯叔叔”
“Dear Uncle Charles.
“亲爱的查尔斯 我现在已经毕业了”
“Dear Charles, I’ve graduated with honors.
“附上我的学位照”
“I’m sending you my photograph in cap and gown.
“你能把我的照片放在你的书桌前吗?”
“Will you put me on the desk in your study?
“这样 你就可以经常看见我了”
“And please, look at me sometimes.
“亲爱的查尔斯…我亲爱的查尔斯”
“Dear Charles… My dear Charles…
“提醒你我现在已经长大了”
“just to remind you that I’m growing up.
“有好多的追求者”
“I have lots of beaus.
“你会嫉妒吗?”
“I do hope you’re jealous.
“我在报上看见了你的照片”
“By the way, I saw your picture in the paper.
“真让人映像深刻”
“I was impressed.
“英格兰的工业王子…”
“‘Industrial Prince of England…”
“查尔斯.雷纳先生”
“‘Mr. Charles Rainier.”‘
你好 小鬼
Hello, nuisance.
天啊!
My word.
你喜欢吗?
Do you like it?
亲爱的 你真美
My dear, you look adorable.
继续夸我 我不介意
Adore me. I can bear it.
– 我以前见过那顶帽子吗? – 帽子不好吗?
– Haven’t I seen that hat before? – It’s not a bad hat, is it?
令人愉快的帽子
It’s a lovely hat.
我现在只想要个令人愉快的午餐
Now it will be a lovely lunch.
亲爱的 我现在没时间陪你
My dear, I cannot possibly afford the time. Come on.
汉森小姐说你有时间
Yes, you can. Miss Hanson says so.
他说你也应该抽一两个小时…
She says it will do you good to get out of this office…
来轻松一下
for an hour or two.
两个小时?
Or two?
– 汉森小姐 – 是我 雷纳先生
– Miss Hanson. – Yes, Mr. Rainier.
因为身体原因…
Owing to lamentable weakness of character…
我希望你同意我出去放松一下
I’m having lunch at the Savoy with your approval.
– 完全同意 – 真的?
– I thoroughly approve. – You do.
是的 雷纳先生
I do, Mr. Rainier.
我出去后 你可以给我准备…
Will you get me a copy…
一份布朗服务公♥司♥的资料吗?
of the Brown-Severing prospectus while I’m out?
– 没问题 – 2点的时候我有活动安排吗?
– Yes, I will. – Have I any appointments for 2:00?
– 有 – 你能顺沿一下吗?
– Yes. – Can you postpone them?
– 可以 – 谢谢
– Yes, I can. – Thanks.
好了 小姐…
All right, young woman…
我现在有一个半小时陪你
I can give you precisely one hour and a half from door to door.
不对 汉森小姐说有两个小时
No. Miss Hanson said two hours.
谢谢
Thank you.
– 抽烟吗? – 谢谢
– Cigarette? – Please.
你今天表现很好 到现在还没看你的表
You’re being very charming today. You haven’t looked at your watch once.
– 你不说我倒忘了 – 不要 你就不能完全放松一个小时吗?
– That reminds me. – Oh no, Charles please. Can’t you relax for an hour?
一个小时?现在已经三点了
An hour? It’s just on 3:00.
– 你以前说你不喜欢经商 – 说过吗?
– You used to say that you hated business. – Did I?
你自己清楚
You know you did.
企业一旦上了轨道 你自己就可以抽身出来做自己喜欢的事了
You were going to whip things into shape and get out quickly.
那只是我最初的想法
That was the original idea.
拯救家族的事业 然后功成身退
To save the family and then be off before they needed more saving.
– 这是你开始的想法吗? – 开始的时候 是的
– In that slow and careful way of yours? – I began to look into things, yes.
但后来我发现 雷纳家族的事业发展也推动了很多家族的发展
I found that Rainier’s kept other families going, too.
全英格兰无数的大小家族从中获利
Little families in little homes. Thousands of them, all over England.
我明白了 救世主叔叔
I see. Uncle Atlas, eh?
那你就没想过自己的幸福快乐吗?
Don’t you ever want to get out and have fun?
基蒂 有一次…
Kitty, the last time I…
就是你说的那个女人 马♥克♥思♥顿女士
It’s that woman you sent me, Lady Maxton.
从我开业以来…
One of the most interesting cases I’ve had…
这是我经手过的最有趣的一个案子

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!