he’s just like my wife, except for the teeth.
是的 孩子才刚刚出生
Yes, well, you can’t expect everything all at once.
– 孩子的出生日期? – 11月6日
– What did you say the date was? – November 6.
– 要登记他的体重吗? – 不用了
– Don’t you want his weight? – No, thank you.
盎司 英制重量和长度单位 做重量单位时1盎司约为28.3495231克
磅为英制重量单位 1磅约为453.59237克(在出版行业中磅也是长度单位)
8磅3.5盎司 他现在一天长一盎司
Eight pounds, three and a half ounces. He’s gained an ounce a day since.
– 这太神奇了! – 父亲职业?
– It’s remarkable. – Father’s profession?
作家 这算不了什么
Writer. In a small way, of course.
关键是现在我已经是父亲了
Writer and parent. Parent in a big way.
就这些吗?谢谢
That will be all. Yes. Thank you.
这张表格还应该有孩子的照片
But you can form only a very inadequate picture of him…
– 我会给你的 – 好的
– from what I’ve given you. – I’ll have to struggle along.
– 我过几天拿过来 – 好的
– I’ll bring him in one of these days. – Do that.
你可以亲眼看看 我可以拿一张收条吗?
Then you can see for yourself. Do I get a receipt?
可以
You do.
– 非常感谢你 我会把照片拿来的 – 好的
– Thank you very much. I’ll bring him in. – Do that.
你好!
Hi, nurse!
给你 看看都齐了吧
Here you are. I don’t think I forgot a thing.
– 他睡着了吗? – 睡着了
– Is he asleep? – If he was, he isn’t now.
等等
Wait.
– 我没吵醒他吧? – 没有
– Did I wake him? – No.
我给他买♥♥了一件礼物
I brought him a present.
他会喜欢吗?他知道这是小猫吗?
Will he like it? Will he know it’s a cat?
– 史密斯 – 什么?
– Smithy. – Yes.
– 过来 – 怎么了?
– Come here. – What?
坐这里来
No, here.
我现在是史密斯夫人了 你没把我忘了吧?
Look, I’m Mrs. Smith. Do you remember me?
那个“小子”到底有什么好的 他整天只知道吃和睡
What’s so wonderful about that fellow? He just eats and sleeps.
而且很多时候 他还老是制♥造♥麻烦
Much of the time, he’s not even friendly.
你永远不会给我买♥♥礼物的 是吗?
It would never occur to you to buy me a present, would it?
不会
Never.
– 史密斯 – 这东西不贵
– Smithy. – They’re not very much.
– 我很喜欢 亲爱的 – 和你的眼睛一样颜色
– I adore them, darling. – They’re just the color of your eyes.
你的眼睛太美了 亲爱的
You’re an awfully nice color scheme, darling…
你的头发就绸缎一样光亮
and your hair is like a bright new penny.
– 史密斯夫妇在吗? – 在
– Mr. And Mrs. Smith here? – Yes.
牧师来了
It must be the vicar.
– 你好 牧师 进来 – 早上好
– Hello, Vicar! Come in. – Good morning.
让牧师进来好吗?天啊!
Is it all right for the vicar to come in? Good heavens!
你好 史密斯夫人 现在感觉怎么样?
How do you do, Mrs. Smith? How are you?
好多了 谢谢你 牧师
Very well, thank you, Vicar.
– 你们的宝贝怎么样了? – 你来看看
– And how is the heir? – Take a look.
你好 小宝贝 他的个子好大 是吧?
Hello, young fellow. He’s quite a size, isn’t he?
比他年龄大的孩子都没他那么大 也没他壮
Bigger and stronger than babies twice his age.
我刚才去了邮局
I was at the post office just now.
发现古德博德夫人很激动
I found Mrs. Goodbody in a lather of excitement.
这个小村庄可是很少收到电报的
There had been an extraordinary event. A telegram!
– 不会吧 – 真让人激动 给谁的电报?
– No. – How very thrilling. Who got it?
– 给你的 – 我?
– You did. – I?
可能是谁恭喜你生了个宝宝吧
Probably someone congratulating you upon becoming a father.
快告诉我 电报里讲些什么?
Aren’t you ever going to tell me what’s in it?
难以置信 太好了!
I can’t believe it. It’s fantastic.
亲爱的 快告诉我吧!
Darling, please, I can’t stand it another second.
这是利物浦水星报发过来的
It’s from Liverpool, from the editor of The Mercury.
给我读读
Read it out loud.
“你能否于11月14日早上10点 到我报编辑部…”
“Can you appear at Mercury office 10:00 tomorrow morning…
“具体商讨我报是否录用你为正式职员之事宜”
“November 14, regarding permanent position on paper?
“编辑 塞缪尔·C·亨森”
“Samuel C. Henson, Editor.”
亲爱的
Oh, darling.
史密斯 这太棒了
Smithy, how marvelous.
是啊 让人难以置信
Marvelous? It’s incredible.
“你能否于11月14日早上10点 到我报编辑部…”
“Can you appear at Mercury office tomorrow morning…”
天啊 你收拾得可真整齐
Goodness, you’re a terrible packer.
让我再看看 衬衫 袜子 领带…
Let me see, shirts, socks, tie…
你过去以后睡觉穿什么呢?
May I ask what you’re going to sleep in?
啊呀!我忘了睡衣吗?
Great Scott! Have I forgotten the pajamas?
袖子有点破了 但做大事的人也不会穿的太讲究的
This cuff’s a bit frayed, but I don’t suppose Keats was very dressy.
这样就行了
That’s better.
看到外面这些标签
All these labels.
别人会以为我在商务旅行呢!
He’ll think I’m a commercial traveler.
– 你很兴奋吗? – 非常兴奋!
– Are you excited? – Wildly.
这对我很重要 是我职业生涯的一个起点
Think what it means. A start in life, a career.
我希望我能给你做点什么 我一直都想
I’ll be able to do things for you, things I’ve always dreamed of.
我希望我能跟你一起去
I wish I could come, too.
这我也想过 但我现在不敢等
Yes. I’ve been thinking of that, but I daren’t wait.
我怕报社会改变主意
He might change his mind.
亲爱的 你不用担心我
Darling, you’re not worrying about me, are you?
我现在很好 我对自己很有信心
I’ll be all right. I feel absolutely sure of myself.
我知道 我不会担心的
I know. I shan’t worry.
只是…
It’s just…
这是我们第一次分开
Our first parting.
– 你什么时候回来? – 明晚
– When will you be back? – Tomorrow night.
我会坐8点的火车
I’ll be in on the 8:00 train.
– 你过去住哪儿? – 我还没想过
– Where will you stay? – I hadn’t thought.
北方大宾馆不错
The Great Northern isn’t bad.
这是最好的酒店 不贵 离火车站也近
It’s the best of the cheap hotels and it’s near the station.
– 带上家里的钥匙了吗? – 带上了
– Got your key? – Yes.
牧师在催我了 我必须走了
That must be the vicar. I must run.
再见 亲爱的!
Goodbye, darling.
再见 亲爱的!
Goodbye, young fellow.
– 好好照顾我的家人 – 我会的
– Take very good care of my little family. – Indeed, I will, sir.
再见 亲爱的 明晚见!
Goodbye, darling. See you tomorrow night.
明晚见 好运 史密斯!
Tomorrow night. Good luck, Smithy.
请问水星报社怎么走?
Can you tell me, where is the Mercury office?
利物浦水星报
The Liverpool Mercury.
乔治道向左 第二个街区 先生
Second on the left, sir, off George Street.
– 谢谢 – 要计程车吗?快下雨了
– Thanks. – Taxi, sir? Looks like rain.
不用了 我走过去
No, thanks. I’ll take a chance.
卖♥♥报了!卖♥♥报了! 要报纸吗?先生
Paper! Get your paper! Paper, sir?
看利物浦水星报!
Read The Liverpool Mercury!
最新的选举结果! 要报纸吗?先生女士们
Election results! Paper, ma’am? Paper, sir?
看利物浦水星报! 最新的选举结果!先生女士们
Read The Liverpool Mercury! Election results! Paper, sir?
– 利物浦水星报! – 这是乔治道吗?
– Liverpool Mercury… – Is this George Street?
– 我在找水星报报社 – 穿过这条街 就在那个角落
– I’m looking for the Mercury office. – Right across the street, on the corner.
要报纸吗?先生
Paper! Paper, sir?
小心!
Look out!
赶快叫救护车!
Call an ambulance.
他没事了 他醒了!
He’ll be all right. He’s coming around now.
感觉好些了吗?
Feeling better?
你刚才被车撞了
You’ve got an unholy bump there.
虽然看起来很糟糕
Looks worse than it is, though.
但你还是很幸运的
You’re lucky, I’d say.
– 有感觉吗? – 我头有点疼
– Do you feel any pain? – My head aches a bit.
不疼才怪呢! 你被车撞了一下
It would be funny if it didn’t. Quite a wallop.
我的鞋
My shoes.
要重新擦擦了
A good blacking is all they need.
怎么了?
What on earth…
是不是搞错了?
This is all wrong.
– 我怎么会穿成这样? – 那你该穿成什么样?
– I’ve no business to be in civvies. – What should you be in?
当然是军装了 我还在服役呢!
In uniform, of course. I’m on active service.
– 我到底在哪儿? – 在利物浦
– Where the devil am I, anyway? – You’re in Liverpool.
利物浦?
Liverpool?
你刚才被车撞了
You’ve had a nasty shock.
你应该好好休息一阵子
You better go somewhere and rest for a while.
不要想任何东西
Try not to think about anything.
– 是他出了车祸吗? – 是的 警官
– Is this the party who had the accident? – Yes, Officer.
这不是我的错 他刚好在我的车面前摔倒了
It’s not my fault. He slipped in the mud right in front of me.
– 是真的吗? – 是的 上尉
– Is that the right of it? – It’s the truth, Captain.
– 是的 – 司机说的是实话 警官
– I think so. – What cabby says is correct, Officer.
整个过程我透过玻璃窗都看见了
I saw the accident from my window there.
– 你叫什么名字 先生? – 雷纳 查尔斯.雷纳

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!