导演:梅尔文·勒罗伊
我们的故事要从这条林荫道尽头的建筑说起
Our story takes you down this shadowed path…
这座位于英格兰内陆的偏远而戒备森严的建筑
to a remote and guarded building in the English Midlands:
就是梅桥郡疯人院
Melbridge County Asylum.
该院以其严格的新军事化管理著称
Grimly proud of its new military wing…
在1918年的秋天
which barely suffices…
这还是很少见的
in this autumn of 1918…
在战争中失去记忆的士兵
to house the shattered minds…
被集中收容在这里
of the war that was to end war.
现在 罗依德先生和夫人
Now, Mr. And Mrs. Lloyd…
我想提醒你们的是 就算他真的是你的儿子
I should warn you that even if he is your son…
他也有可能认不出你们来
he may not recognize you.
他不仅失忆了 而且说话也有一定的困难
His memory is affected, and he has trouble with his speech:
这是爆♥炸♥的冲击造成的
The result of shock.
1917年 他在阿♥拉♥斯附近的一个战壕内
He was picked up by the Germans…
被德军发现
in a shell hole near Arras in 1917…
当时他濒临死亡 而且完全无法辨别其身份
close to death and with no means of identification.
当他在德军的医院内醒来后
When he returned to consciousness in a German hospital…
他完全失忆了
he could remember nothing at all of his past life.
想不起自己的名字
He had no name…
也不记得自己的家在哪里
he had no family with whom he could correspond.
六个月前 他从瑞士被送到这里
Six months ago, he was exchanged through Switzerland and sent here.
我希望他就是你们要找的儿子
I sincerely hope he proves to be your son.
如果能在正常环境下得到耐心的看护
I believe that he could be cured…
我相信他是能够痊愈的
with patience and care in normal surroundings.
我们现在可以见他了吗?
May we see him now?
当然可以
Certainly.
罗依德夫人 请你不要抱太大的希望
Please, Mrs. Lloyd, don’t hope too much.
否则你会很失望的
I’ve seen many disappointments.
早上好 小伙子们 今天我们有一次非正式的探访
Good morning, boys. This is just an informal visit.
早上好 克莱顿
Good morning, Clayton.
睡的还好吧?坚持下去就可以了
Sleeping better? You just keep it up.
崔彼特 今天感觉怎么样?
Well, now, Trempitt, what’s going on?
我想我们已经是朋友了 上次我们不是握过手的吗?
I thought you and I were friends. Last time we shook hands.
不记得了?
Don’t you remember?
好吧 如果你今天不乐意 咱们就不握手了
Well, don’t bother today if you don’t feel like it.
你难不倒我的
You can’t discourage me.
啊 不错 就是这样
There. You see, my boy? That’s the spirit.
什么时候我请你去镇里喝一杯
You and I will be going into town very soon for a glass of beer…
为梅桥的军队干杯
to Melbridge Arms.
你想去吗?
Would you like that?
好的 我会尽快安排的
Fine. Won’t be long now.
啊 史密斯
Well, Smith…
你气色不错 恢复的很快啊
you are looking better, really improved.
– 你认为呢?医生 – 是的 好的很快啊
– Don’t you think so, Doctor? – Very much.
有个好消息告诉你 有兴趣吗?
We have some news for you. Interested?
有两个人非常想见你
There are some people here who are very anxious to see you.
是罗依德夫妇
Mr. And Mrs. Lloyd.
罗依德?
Lloyd?
这个名字熟悉吗?
The name mean anything to you?
他们的儿子在1917年失踪了
Their son was reported missing in 1917.
在阿♥拉♥斯失踪的
At Arras.
不过你也不要抱太大的希望
Now don’t pin your hopes on it.
你可能是他们的儿子 也可能不是
You may be their son, you may not.
你们很快就会见面的
We’ll soon know.
我的父母
My parents.
我说的不错吧 小伙子? 你能够正常说话的
There. You see, my boy? You speak well enough when you want to.
这完全跟你的自信有关
It’s just a matter of confidence.
你必须对自己有信心
You’ve just got to get back your confidence.
我的父亲
My father.
医生 给他穿整齐一点 然后带他去接待室
Doctor, dress him up a bit and take him to the reception room.
好的 史密斯 过来
Very well. Come along, Smith.
罗依德
Lloyd.
坐下 小伙子
Sit down, old man.
如果他们是你的父母
If they are your parents…
他们能带我出去吗?
They would take me out of here?
这要看他们是否真的是你父母 史密斯 坐吧
That’s rather a big if, old man. Sit down.
罗依德
Lloyd.
– 他是你们的儿子吗? – 不是
– He is not your son, then? – No.
我非常遗憾
I’m sincerely sorry.
我告诉过你 小伙子 他们不一定是你父母
I told you, my boy, not to count on it.
少校 这种鬼天气还出门吗? 出去透透气 是吧?
Out in this weather, Major? You are a one for a walk, ain’t you?
好大的雾啊!
Proper old pea soup this is.
我很好 谢谢你
I’m all right, thank you.
我很暖和
Coat’s very warm.
我想走走
I like to walk.
好大的雾
Proper old pea soup.
战争结束了!
The war’s over! Peace!
和平降临了!
There’s an armistice!
你想要点什么?
What is it you want?
快说吧 我都一晚没生意了
Come on, I haven’t got all night.
我要烟
Cigarette.
哪一种?
What sort?
啊 你是从疯人院出来的吧? 你是?
Why, you’re from the asylum. You’re…
好吧 你慢慢选吧
It’s all right, dear. You take your time.
我一会儿就回来
Have a nice look around, see. I’ll be back in a jiffy.
你是从疯人院出来的吧?
You are from the asylum, aren’t you?
是的 但我现在已经好了
Yes, but I’m all right, really.
如果你真的是逃出来的话 我就不会呆在这儿了
If you have given them the slip, I wouldn’t stay here.
老板去打电♥话♥叫人来捉你了
She’s gone straight to the phone. She’s telling them to come for you.
我可以帮你吗?
Can I help you?
我觉得你有点不舒服 所以我一直跟着你
I thought you weren’t feeling too fit, so I followed you.
你不会介意吧?
You don’t mind, do you?
你看起来很疲倦
You look tired out.
你是不是走了很久的路?
Been walking about for hours?
好吧 我们去喝点白兰地或者苏打
Well, how about a brandy and soda…
给你提提神 正好我也想喝点
just to pull you together? I’m gonna have one.
我们就去街对面那家酒馆吧 好吗?
Shall we go over to the home pub? It’s just across the road.
可能不是很豪华 但一到我表演的时候 大家都去那儿喝酒
It’s not the Ritz, but it’s where we all stay when our show’s in town.
那种表演 你肯定见过的
It’s, you know, friendly.
来吧!
Come on.
请让一下
Excuse us, please.
那是埃拉 她是这里的女主人 那个男的是我的经理
That was Ella. She’s our character woman, and he’s our manager.
– 你好 萨姆 – 你好 保拉
– Hello, Sam. – Hello, Paula.
他真可爱
He’s a dear, really.
– 你好 保拉 – 你好 布雷特
– Hello, Paula. – Hello, Brett.
和你的“士兵”一起喝一杯吧!
Have a drink, and the army, too.
看见没有 周围都是我们的朋友
– There, you see? You’re amongst friends.
告诉你 和我比赛那家伙以前是个军人
Mind you, he was game, the gunner was.
在第10轮的时候 他中了我一记右钩拳
Halfway through the 10th, he run into my right hook…
然后不省人事
and forgot his name and address.
你不能光凭拳脚来取胜
You don’t win fights with your hands and feet.
你得用自己的大脑
You win them with your brains.
这是我成功的秘诀
That’s what brought me to the top.
亲爱的 想来点什么? 我请客
What’s it to be, my dear? This is on the house.
谢谢你 毕夫
Thank you, Biffer.
我要杜松子酒掺法国酒 然后给我朋友一杯白兰地 好吗?
Mine’s a Gin and French. Can I have a brandy for my friend here?
好的 亲爱的 他喝白兰地没问题
With pleasure, my dear. Looks as though he could do with it.
感觉不舒服吗?
Feeling bad?
– 不 我… – 他仅仅是很累而已
– No, I… – He’s just tired, that’s all.
不会是流感吧?带他到后面去休息吧
Not the flu, is it? Got them in the back.
医院可不是什么好地方
Dying like flies at the hospital.
你说的对 最近有什么好笑的新闻吗?
That’s right, cheer him up. Know any more funny stories?
我只是个传二手消息的 大家爱说什么我可管不着
I was only passing a remark. It’s a free country.
传给他一杯免费的白兰地 可能会更好点
Pass him the free drink. That’ll do him more good.
好的 来了 这里还有一小杯好东西
Well, here it is, and a drop of good stuff that is.
– 有起死回生的功效 – 有这么神吗?
– Bring anybody back from the grave. – The grave?
你真是个大好人
Aren’t you a little ray of sunshine tonight?
– 保拉 今晚的节目可别迟到啊! – 不会的 萨姆
– Paula. Don’t be late. – No, I won’t, Sam.
我必须去戏院了 再见 谢谢你的酒
I’ve got to get over to the theater. Goodbye, and thanks for the drinks.
– 我们走吧 – 哈哈!这里可有个战争英雄