Some 15 years ago
亨利贝克勒发现铀的放射性
the radiation of uranium was discovered by Henri Becquerel
两年后这种现象的研究
and two years later the study of this phenomenon
被应用到其他物质
was extended to other substances,
首先是我
first by me
然后是皮耶居礼…
and then by Pierre Curie…
跟…我
…and myself.
这种研究快速引导我们发现新元素
‘This study rapidly led us to the discovery of new elements
新元素的放射性与铀的放射性相似
‘the radiation of which, ‘while being analogous to that of uranium,
但威力大多了
‘was far more intense.
由于发现这种…
‘Thanks to this discovery
全新又强大的放射性物质
‘of new, very powerfully radioactive substances
放射性的研究
‘the study of radioactivity
有了飞快的进展
‘progresses with marvellous rapidity.’
伊莲娜,你要带我去哪?
Irène, where are you taking me?
等着看,妈妈
Wait and see, Mama.
停车,司机
Stop here, driver.
伊莲娜,我不会… ﹣我知道
Irène, I won’t… – I know.
那为何我在这里?
Then why am I here?
因为你必须亲眼看看
Because you need to see it.
你以为战争与你无关?
You think the war is something separate to you?
当然无关
Of course it is.
你以为你帮不上忙?
You think you can’t help?
伊莲娜,我生病了,又是女性
Irène, I’m ill. I’m female.
我看不出我对谁有用
I can’t see myself being much use to anyone.
不然给我一支枪试试
But give me a gun and I’ll try.
国家在作战
This country is at war.
医疗服务却糟透了
And the medical services are a disaster.
我不会进去你的医院
I won’t go inside your hospital.
我知道,妈
I know, Mother.
所以我们在外面看
So I’m bringing it outside to you.
这是法兰克
This is Franck.
你好,法兰克
Hello, Franck.
他的双腿被截肢
He’s had both his legs amputated.
这是帕斯卡
This is Pascal.
你好,帕斯卡
Hello, Pascal.
他的双臂被截肢 ﹣伊莲娜
He’s had both his arms amputated. Irène…
这是盖布瑞 ﹣伊莲娜
And this is Gabriel. Irène!
我不想把他们当博物馆展品观看
I don’t want to look at them like exhibits in a museum.
这些士兵被截断四肢
They are chopping these boys up.
就是因为医疗设备不够好
They don’t have the facilities to do otherwise.
真是悲剧,你要我怎么做?
It’s tragic. What do you want me to do about it?
你是玛丽居礼
You’re Marie Curie.
你该为这场战争奋战了
It’s time to make this war your war.
拜托
Please.
身为政♥府♥资深科学部长
As Senior Science Minister in the Government,
我必须告诉你…
I must tell you…
年轻士兵性命堪忧
Young boys are dying.
你是资深科学家部长…
As Senior Scientist Minister…
是科学部长
Science. Science Minister.
抱歉,资深科学部长
My apologies, Senior Science Minister.
看来你仍抛不开优越感
I see your sense of superiority has stayed with you.
利普曼教授,你从来就不喜欢我
Professor Lippmann, you have never liked me.
这不是喜不喜欢的问题
It’s not a question of liking or disliking.
对,是尊重问题,你终于尊重我了
Quite. It’s a question of respect, and you have respected me now.
有了流动式X光机
With a mobile radiography unit,
我们能帮军队照X光
we can be X-raying troops
再决定是否需要截肢
before deciding whether they need amputation.
你一定能看到…
Surely you can see…
我只看到一个不切实际的方法
Madame Curie, all I can see is an impractical measure
却由一个实际过头的女人提出
proposed by a woman I know to be eminently practical.
我需要经费、管道,跟进入战场
I need funds, I need access, I need the ability to go out on the battlefields.
你一定要核准
You must grant it me.
为什么我要照做?
And why, pray, must I do that?
部分原因是有其必要
Partly because it is right.
部分原因是我能派上用场
Partly because I am needed.
但最大原因是我又病又累
But mostly, mostly because I am sick and tired.
我夜晚常咳血,这将是我最后一战
I cough blood most nights and this is my last fight.
而我会战胜
And I will win it.
我们都很累,居礼夫人
We’re both tired, Madame Curie.
妈,希望你不要
Mother, if you could look at him
带着敌意瞪着他,我会很感激你
like he hasn’t done you a personal affront, I’d greatly appreciate it.
我不介意
I don’t mind.
﹣怎么可能不介意
Course you do.
你只是很有礼貌,所以不说
You just won’t say because you’re mild-mannered.
我妈不可怕,只是做事不圆融
But Mother isn’t so fierce as she can’t adjust her behaviour.
你有博士学位?
You have a PhD?
这不是工作面试
This isn’t a job interview.
你有博士学位?
Do you have a PhD?
少烦,伊芙
Shut up, Eve!
有,我有博士学位
I do. I do have a PhD.
你的毕业论文写什么? ﹣妈
And your thesis was on? – Mother!
约里奥先生,你的研究兴趣是…
Mr Joliot, do you have interesting observations to make about the
天气、政♥治♥体系或交通系统吗?
weather, about… the political system, about the transport system?
不是
No.
你喜爱科学吗?
Do you love science?
我当然喜爱科学
Of course I love science.
我爱令媛,也爱科学
I love your daughter and I love science.
他爱令媛
He loves your daughter.
那就把你对小女的爱
Let us take your love for my daughter as read
视为像科学一样正确无误
and talk of science.
我很乐意
I would love to.
你真是不可理喻
You are impossible.
谈谈你的研究吧
So, tell me what you have been working on, Mr Joliot.
我其实是跟伊莲娜一起研究
I’ve been working with Irène, actually.
我们愈来愈相信
We’ve been working in the belief
也许放射性能有进一步的发展
that maybe radioactivity can be taken a few steps further.
是吗?
Can it now?
继续
Carry on.
有些原子不会自然出现放射现象
In those atoms where radioactivity
但也许可以被引导出来
doesn’t naturally occur, maybe it can be induced.
你用什么试验?
What have you been working with?
更轻的元素,硼和铝
Lighter elements, boron and aluminium.
我们用阿尔发粒子冲击它们
We’re bombarding them with alpha particles
停止后获得读数
and getting a reading after we stopped.
如果我们能显示那种反应
If we can show the reaction…
就会证明人造放射性的可能性
Then you have shown the possibility of artificial radiation.
很令人兴奋的研究
This is exciting work.
我也认为
I think so, too.
我想我们喜欢他
I think we like him.
我会找来救护车
I will get those ambulances.
我会替他们做好所有前置作业
And I will outfit them and I will get them ready
但我不去战地
but I won’t work on them.
我也不要你去
And I don’t want you to either.
可是…
But, Mother…
目睹死亡对年轻人不是好事
No, death is not good for a young person to see.
我也不想你参与费德里克的研究
And I don’t think you should be involved with Frédéric’s work.
尽管令人着迷,但放射线并不安全
As exciting as it seems, radiation is not safe. And…
事实上我要你远离他
In fact, I want you to stay away from him.
但你一辈子都…
But you’ve spent your entire life…
与死亡和放射线共处,没错
Surrounded by death and radiation. Yes. And…
它们带给我的快乐少之又少
…they’ve brought me very little happiness.
我要你过更好的生活
I want better for you.
晚安
Night-night.
居礼夫人
Madame Curie.
居礼小姐
Mademoiselle Curie.
很荣幸您大驾光临
What an honour it is for you to grace me with your presence.
您的辉煌成就为法国增光,夫人
Your exploits are a credit to France, madame.
我们来请求经费
We are here to ask for funds.
对,利普曼教授解释过您的情况
Ah, yes. Professor Lippmann has explained to me your situation.
我恐怕无法核准您要求的经费

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!