召唤贝多芬的灵体 在我眼前会愈来愈清晰
…I will call out the presence of Beethoven as it becomes clear to me.
X灵视?像是镭射? ﹣对
X-gazes? As in uranium rays? Yes.
稍后
In a little while,
贝多芬的形象会出现…
the portrait of Beethoven will appear…
在这块感光底片上
…on this photographic plate.
贝多芬要死而复生了呢
And now Beethoven is going to come back from the dead.
她利用我们的科学招揽生意
She’s using our science to further her work.
所有科学家都是循前人脚步
All scientists work on previous work.
你称这是科学?
You call this science?
这可能会永远改变科学
This could change science forever.
你懂我们已经永远改变科学了吗?
Do you not understand we’ve already changed science forever?
对,这样能量更强大
Yeah, it’s stronger on the other.
这肯定更精炼
This is definitely more refined.
又有人向我们申请
We’ve had another submission.
这次是什么?
What did they want?
放射性嗅盐
Radioactive smelling salts.
用来治疗秃头
As a cure for baldness.
你怎么回复?
What did you say?
镭不是我们独有,我们没有专利
We don’t own radium, we don’t have a patent
请尽管使用
and you are free to do as you will with it.
要是有专利,我们就能扩建实验室
If we did have a patent, we’d have a bigger laboratory.
我知道科学的潜在价值更重要…
I know, the possibilities of science are more important…
如果我们独占镭
If we owned it, then people wouldn’t be able
大家就无法享有潜在价值
to enjoy the possibilities of it.
我不确定别人能看得见潜在价值
But it’s trusting others to see the possibilities that I’m not sure of.
大家都能看见潜在价值,相信我
Oh, people can see the possibilities, believe me.
放射性火柴
Radioactive matches.
放射性香烟
For your radioactive cigarettes.
放射性巧克力
Radioactive chocolate.
放射性牙膏
Radioactive toothpaste.
还有一封信提到放射性美容粉
There’s a letter in here about radioactive beauty powder.
洛伊富勒请我们做放射性舞衣
Loie Fuller wants us to do a radioactive jacket for her dance.
别担心,我说我们不做衣服
Don’t worry, I told her we don’t make jackets.
你听过一支百老汇热门舞剧
Have you heard there’s a dance craze on Broadway
是以我们的研究为灵感吗?
based on our work?
(镭之舞,霹啪波)
叫作“霹啪波”
“The Piff Paff Pouf”.
(镭之舞,霹啪波)
我们何德何能
What have we done?
(镭之舞,霹啪波)
那里怎么了?
What’s that?
没什么
That’s nothing.
皮肤科医生亨利当洛斯
Henri Danlos, the dermatologist,
前几天一脸兴奋来找我
came to me the other day, very excited.
他把一些氯化镭放在肿瘤上
He put some radium chloride on a tumour
结果显示肿瘤缩小许多
and it showed some considerable shrinkage.
缩小?
Shrinkage?
癌症一直是绝症,你能想像吗?
2,000 years, cancer, the uncurable illness. Can you imagine?
他们组了一个研究团体
They’re starting a study group.
他认为我们的镭能治疗癌症?
He thinks our radium could cure cancer?
当洛斯只是开头
Danlos is just the start.
我们的研究开始发光发热
I can feel our work glowing out.
我能感觉它扭转世界了
I can feel it changing the world.
(克里夫兰,1957年)
华纳先生?我是詹金斯医生
Mr Warner? I’m Dr Jenkins.
你一定是彼得
And you must be Peter.
你好
Hello.
知道他是谁吗?他是医生
Do you know who this guy is? This guy, he’s the doctor.
他会让你好转
He’s gonna make you a lot better.
然后你知道吗 我们就能回家了
And then, you know what? We’re all gonna go home.
我们会用所谓的直线加速器
We’re gonna use what’s called a linear accelerator.
直线什么?
Linear what?
这是最先进的科学,华纳先生
It’s at the forefront of science, Mr Warner.
以前有人用过吗?
But you have used one before?
在本院令郎会是第一人
In this hospital, your son will be the first to use it.
这是全世界第五台机器
Around the world, it’s the fifth machine of its kind.
小犬不是你们研究的白老鼠
My child is not a monkey for your research.
除非有奇迹让彼得好转
Unless we find a way to make Peter better,
不然癌细胞会扩散到所有主要器官
this cancer will grow and it will infiltrate all his major organs.
我保证这机器会让他的肿瘤缩小
This machine will shrink his tumour, I guarantee it.
缩到多小还说不准
If it will shrink it enough, I can’t say.
但会大幅增加令郎的存活机率
But it will substantially improve your child’s chances to survive.
(警告,高辐射区)
我想看一下
I wanna see it.
没问题
Of course you do.
比我想像的巨大
It’s bigger than I expected.
这台机器内含极大的能量
It’s a machine with an incredible amount of power inside it.
有必要这么巨大
It needs to be big.
等等,他要躺在里面?
Wait, he… he’s gonna be inside it?
不是
No. No.
他会被绑在这里
He’ll be strapped in here.
他会被绑住?
He’ll be strapped.
以免他乱动
It’s just so he doesn’t move.
使用射线要非常精确
We need to be very precise as we use rays.
他会痛吗?
Will he be in pain?
这台机器会让令郎活更久
Mr Warner, this machine will improve your son’s life.
甚至救他一命
And it may even save it.
好了
Okay.
保持不动,孩子
Stay still, son.
坏消息?是坏消息吗?
Bad news? Is it bad news?
不是坏消息,很顺利
No, it’s not bad news. It went well.
成功了?所以他变好了?
It… worked? You mean he’s better?
这条路很漫长,但我们有好的开始
It’s a long road, Mr Warner, but we got off to a good start.
你想见他吗? ﹣好
Would you like to see him? – Yeah.
我发誓这是我最后一次来
I swear, this is the last time I come here.
等着看
Just wait and see.
皮耶
Pierre?
她需要安静才能让灵气出现
Shh. She needs silence for the ectoplasm to appear.
怎么了?
What?
镭伤到你了?
Is the radium hurting you?
没事,我拿下来了
No, I took it off.
这证实镭会让皮肤发热转灰,你看
It did prove to heat the flesh. Turned it grey, look.
会损害身体,很奇妙
There’s a lesion. – Pierre. It’s fascinating.
她就是江湖术士
She’s a complete fraud.
他们的往来神神秘秘的
And they have formed some sort of mysterious friendship.
他承诺在仪式前中后帮她测重量
He has promised to weigh her before, during and after the sessions
看是不是有灵体真的…
to see if there is a spirit that’s really…
现身
coming in.
我觉得你在吃醋
I think you’re jealous.
我才不是吃醋
I am not jealous. I’m…
我很气恼
I’m outraged because I think
他应该更慎重看待我们的研究
he should take what we do far more seriously.
老天,过来,他会认出我
Oh, heavens. Come. – What? He’ll recognise me.
我们上了头版,他会认出我
We’re on the front of the newspaper. He’ll recognise me.
大家一定不相信我妹是…
People can’t believe that I’m the sister
鼎鼎大名的居礼夫人
of the famous Madame Curie.
笨蛋才在乎名声
Fame is for idiots.
倒是给了皮耶一些怪点子
And look, it seems to have given Pierre some very strange ideas.
纵容他的怪点子吧
Well, allow him to be strange.
跟他一起尽情享受
Enjoy his enjoyment.
可是通灵?
But spiritualism?
信仰不是坏事
Faith isn’t such a bad thing.
我有信仰啊
I have faith.
我相信人性,相信进步
I have faith in humanity, I have faith in progress,
但相信来生并没有科学根据
but faith in an afterlife has no scientific foundation whatsoever.
你从没想过妈可能…
You never think that Mother might be…
去了比人间更好的地方?
…somewhere better than this?
我想过
I do.
她就在波兰的地底下
In a hole in the ground, in Poland.
比巴黎更高尚的地方
A place far superior to Paris.
玛丽亚,你太愤世嫉俗了
Marya, you are so cynical.
不,姐姐,我只是比较实际
No, my dear, just realistic.
你写信给谁?