很好
Good.
你整周都愁眉不展
You’ve been frowning at that all week.
我在观察
I’m observing.
你在找什么?
What are you looking for?
我不说话时比较容易观察
I find it easier to observe when I’m not talking.
我测量铀时
I measure uranium,
发现铀的放射量比铀矿少
and I discover less radiations than I do in its ore.
矿石的能量竟比元素本身强大?
The ore is more powerful than the element?
没错,但我想不通…
Exactly. And I can’t quite work…
这种结果一定代表某种异常
There must be some anomaly in the results.
我做了6次相同实验
I’ve run the same test six times.
得到一模一样的结果
I get identical results.
我的直觉是铀矿里有另一种元素
My instinct is that there is another element
改变了结果
that’s skewing the results.
你觉得找到未知的元素?
You think you’ve found an undiscovered element?
如果你在笑我… ﹣不,我没有笑你
If you’re laughing at me… – No, I’m not laughing at you.
太令人兴奋了
That’s exciting.
你的测量设备不堪用了
Your measuring equipment is useless.
目前绰绰有馀
It’s worked perfectly fine for me so far.
要获得你要的数据
If we’re to get the figures you need,
我们需要精准无比的仪器
we need something that’s capable of extreme precision.
不是“我们”
There is no “we”.
你需要能测出极精微能量的仪器
You need something that’s capable of measuring
不必,拜托,没必要
microscopic aspects of energy. – No, please. No, no…
我有个主意,跟我来
Yes. And I have an idea. Follow me.
(巴黎医院)
居礼先生
Monsieur Curie.
抱歉,走了好一段路
I’m sorry, I know it’s some distance.
跟距离没关系,我在意的是要去哪
The length of our journey doesn’t agitate me, Monsieur Curie. The destination does.
这是巴黎首屈一指的医院
This is one of the finest hospitals in Paris.
有一项设备…
There’s a piece of equipment…
我不愿意进入医院
I choose not to go into hospitals.
但你是科学家啊
But you’re a scientist!
玛丽亚 你害怕吗?
‘Marya, are you frightened?’
害怕什么?
Of what?
害怕我的病?
Of my illness?
不怕
No.
很好
Good.
因为没理由害怕
Because there’s no reason to be frightened.
你会死掉吗?
Will you die?
有你治疗就不会
Not if you cure me.
我能怎么治疗你?
How can I cure you?
你能亲亲我
You can kiss me.
再亲我一下,我保证不会死掉
If you kiss me again, I promise I won’t die.
但布洛妮说…
But Bronia says…
姐姐也不懂
Your sister doesn’t know everything.
亲亲我
Hmm? Kiss me.
你有感觉到吗?
Did you feel that?
没有
No.
是世界转到新方向的声音
That was the sound of the world turning in a new direction.
玛丽亚斯克沃多夫斯卡的方向
The Marya Sklodowska direction.
我感觉不到
I can’t feel it.
再亲我一下
Kiss me again.
现在
Now…
你感觉到了吗?
…can you feel it?
嗯,可以
Yes. Yes…
我好像感觉到了
…I think I did.
你治好我了
You cured me.
抱歉,没想到耗这么久
Sorry, that took longer than I thought.
你感觉好点没?
Are you feeling better?
我的实验没有你的设备
I’ve decided, my experiments can cope perfectly well
也能顺利进行
without your equipment.
做结晶体的研究
When we were working with crystals,
必须要能测量…精微的电荷量
we needed to be able to measure microscopic amounts of charge.
这测量直到我打造出这台才成功
And nothing worked until I built this.
这是象限静电计
It’s a quadrant electrometer.
能够准确测量物质中微量的电荷
It’s capable of measuring, precisely, the tiny amounts of electrical charge in a material.
这能测量电位?
It measures electrical potential?
你的设备不够好,我的胜出
Your equipment isn’t good enough. Mine is.
你的研究很出色,我的也不差
Your science is brilliant, but so is mine.
你是提议合伙?
You’re proposing a partnership?
正是如此
That’s exactly what I’m doing.
基本上这只是溶解的问题
Well, basically, it’s just a question of dissolving.
我先生又用失望眼神看我了
My husband is looking at me disapprovingly again.
没这回事
I’m doing nothing of the sort.
你觉得我问你的优秀朋友笨问题
You think I’m asking stupid questions to your eminent friends.
你的问题一点都不笨
Your questions aren’t stupid. Really.
我妈曾说绝对别嫁聪明人
My mother told me, never marry a brilliant man.
你们会互相失望
You’ll disappoint them and they’ll disappoint you.
我为什么会让你失望?
And why will I disappoint you?
我猜是难免会让她感到自卑
By failing to avoid making her feel inadequate,
你真会说话
This woman can stay.
我来整理就好,你们继续聊
No, I’ll clear. You’re asking questions.
所以你…
So, you…
你用矿石…把它溶解后…
…you take the ore… and you dissolve into it…
我们用沥青铀矿,一种特殊矿石
Well, we take the pitchblende, which is a special ore
特地从波希米亚的矿山运来
that comes all the way from a mine in Bohemia,
接着我们用科学方法移除多馀元素
and then we use a scientific process to remove the elements we know we can remove
看剩下什么
and look at what’s left.
你们会用什么科学方法?
And what scientific processes might you use?
好问题
These are very good questions.
我们费力将矿石碾碎
We crush it, which is extremely hard work.
然后煮沸,把物质移除
Then we boil it, which results in the removal of substance.
再加入酸性和碱性溶液
We add acidic and alkaline solutions to it…
直到只留下纯粹的物质
…until only that which is pure remains.
有许多物质要移除
And there’s a lot of substance to remove.
这绝对值得 ﹣很令人兴奋
And it will be worth it. – It’s very exciting.
当初你们为何注意到铀?
And why are you looking at uranium in the first place?
因为贝克勒 ﹣出类拔萃的科学家
Becquerel. A more than competent scientist.
贝克勒无意间发现
Becquerel discovered, accidentally,
铀盐被黑布包着放在抽屉里
that uranium salts, wrapped in a black cloth, left in a drawer,
竟在感光底片上留下影像
left an impression on a photographic plate.
他认为铀跟大气中的某样东西
And he thought that the uranium
产生了不寻常化学反应
was having an unusual chemical reaction with something in the atmosphere.
我推断就是元素本身
I say it’s the element itself.
很大胆的想法 ﹣我还是不懂
A very radical thought. – I still don’t understand.
比如葡萄,要怎么把葡萄变成酒?
Imagine a grape. How do you turn a grape into wine?
压碎再发酵 ﹣对
You crush it and ferment it. – Yes.
那想像葡萄自行压碎跟发酵
So, imagine a grape crushes itself, ferments itself,
改变本质
changes its very being.
要是我说葡萄自行变成酒时
And what if I told you that as the grape turns itself into wine
会释放强大的能量
it releases a powerful surge of energy,
强大到不同凡响
power that can make things happen.
你会很兴奋,对吧?
You’d be excited, am I right?
我应该会
I think so. Yes, I would.
科学日新月异
So, science is changing
主导科学的那群人却墨守成规
and the very people who are running science are the people who believed the world was flat.
我会跟牛顿一样证明他们是错的
And I’m going to prove them wrong. Just as Newton did.
我们会证明 ﹣谢谢
We are. – Thank you.
我注意到你看我的眼神,皮耶
I see the way you look at me, Pierre.
什么眼神?
How do I look at you?
像是发酵的葡萄?
Like a fermenting grape?
很妙的比喻
I enjoyed that analogy.
很贴切的比喻吧
It was a good analogy.
但你说对了
But you’re right.
我看你的眼神确实不一样
I do look at you in a certain way.
有时我感觉你用同样的眼神回应
And sometimes I have the feeling you look at me the same way back.
我妈过世时,我沉默了一周
When my mother died, I couldn’t speak for a week.
大家以为我很悲伤,其实不是
And people thought it was grief. It wasn’t.
我只是无法理解
It was that I simply couldn’t comprehend
为何这么重要的人被夺走了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!