贫困的孩子们表示欢迎
underprivileged children.
希望大家多多给他们树立良好作风的榜样
I’m sure we can show them an example of good manners…
让他们回去时 能传递给周围的人
to take back with them to their communities.
现在 大家可以享用美餐了
Now, eat and enjoy.
干杯
Cheers!
行了 行了 行了
Okay, okay, okay.
不要
Not the…
用刀子
Use the knife.
克洛丽亚 递给我一个杯子
Gloria, pass me a glass.

Ah!
晚安 我的小梦想家们
Good night, my Pioneers.
早安 孩子们
Good morning, Pioneers!
早安 教练
Good morning, Coach.
我想回家
I want to go home!
班杰明
Benjamin.
好了 好了 好了 深呼吸 深呼吸
Okay, okay, okay. Breathe, breathe!
呼吸 呼吸 呼吸
Breathe, breathe, breathe.
我想妈妈了
I want my mum.
克洛丽亚
Gloria.
我不想比赛了
I don’t want to play.
乖 乖 乖 乖
Okay, okay, okay, okay.
我昨天上车的时候
On my way to the bus yesterday,
看见一条骨瘦如柴的狗
I saw a skinny dog.
那条狗非常饥饿
The dog was hungry.
他盯上一只猫
He spied a cat.
随后狗就开始奋力追捕那只猫
Dog started to chase the cat down the alley…
跳过水坑 绕过房♥子
through a puddle, through a house.
那只猫为了逃命 甚至从一堆火上越过去 噢
Cat even jumped over a kettle fire! Ooh!
他最终逃跑了 而狗却瘫倒在地上
And he was gone! Dog collapsed on the floor.
累残了 我问他 “狗狗 你怎么了”
Tired! I said, “Dog, what happened, eh?
“你饿得这么厉害 却让到嘴的猎物飞走了”
“You were so hungry, and your dinner got away.”
那条狗回答我 “最主要的原因是 我”
Dog said to me, “The problem is, me…
“我只是在追捕一顿美餐”
“I was only running for a meal.
“而那只猫却是为了逃命”
“That cat was running for her life.”
所以说 孩子们
You see, these children…
那些人他们拥有漂亮的衣服 舒适的床
They have nice clothes, comfortable beds.
他们就和那条狗一样 饭来张口衣来伸手
They are like Dog. Everything comes very easy.
但是你们
But you…
我骄傲的小猫眯们
my great cats, eh?
你们现在努力拚搏的
You are running…
是你们自己的命
for your lives. Eh?
来吧 我们一起祈祷
Come, we pray.
仁慈的主啊 感谢您赐予我们的这次机会
Dear Father, we thank you for this opportunity.
愿您保佑我们取得好成绩 阿们
Help us to be great today. Amen.
阿们
Amen.
来 我们走吧
Come, we go.
教练 我不行
Coach, I cannot.
他是最厉害的那个
He is the best one.
我们队总有一个人要和他比
One of us has to play this board.
为什么不能是你呢
Why not you?
欢迎大家参加格兰姆斯杯
Welcome to the Father Grimes…
全国校园西洋棋锦标赛
National Schools Chess Championship.
比赛开始
Commence play, please.
在天堂的上帝啊 愿您的名被尊为圣
Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
愿你的国降临 愿你的旨意被遵行
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth.
算平手怎么样
Call it a draw?
不行
No.
眼睛挺尖嘛 小朋友
Sharp eye, little friend.
看来我是碰到对手了
I guess I’ve got a good fight on my hands here.
你还有棒棒糖吗
Do you have another lollipop?
没有
Mmm-mmm.
真是好策略
Good strategy.
用你最差的选手 对战我们的卫冕冠军
Putting your weakest player on the champion’s board.
将军
Checkmate.
什么
What?
教练 我成功了
Coach! Me, I did it.
将军
Checkmate.
什么
Hmm?
班杰明 干得漂亮
Benjamin. Well done.
布莱恩 我们给这些有钱人
好好上一课
班杰明
Benjamin!
她多吃普理查德两个棋子
She’s up two pawns on Pritchard.
将军
Checkmate.
教练
Coach!
克洛丽亚 什么 怎么了 怎么了
Gloria! What? What is it? What is it?
他把我的皇后吃了
He took my queen!
别这样
Please…
他吃了我的皇后
He took my queen!
不 -行了 行了
No! -Okay, okay.
他吃了我的皇后 -小姑娘 安静点
He took my queen! -Girl. Shh!
他吃了我的皇后 -快停下 快停下 克洛丽亚
He took my queen! -Please, please. Gloria!
他吃了我的皇后 -克洛丽亚 嘘
He took my queen! -Gloria! Shh!
我的皇后 -嘘
My queen! -Shh!
平局
Draw.
不行 -平局嘛
No. -Draw!

Ah!
普理查德 普理查德 普理查德
Pritchard! Pritchard! Pritchard!
休想耍你的小伎俩
None of your sneak attacks.
这里可不是贫民窟
This is not the ghetto.
我不需要耍小聪明
I don’t need to sneak.
她会慢慢包围你 让你无处可逃
She surrounds you until you have nowhere to go.
然后像条巨蟒 慢慢把你吞噬
And then squeezes you like a python.
将军
Checkmate.
在一个女孩身上拥有这样的果决 是非常难得的
Such aggressiveness in a girl is quite a treasure.
作为乌干达西洋棋联盟
As a member of the governing body
管理团队的一员
of the Uganda Chess Federation…
我在此宣布 金牌的获得者
it is my honor to award a medal…
是一位拥有卓越天赋的女孩
to a girl who plays with astonishing power.
今年布多金牌的获得者是
This year’s Budoan gold medalist…
来自卡推少年队的 菲欧娜.马特斯
is from the children’s team of Katwe, Phiona Mutesi.
少年队 少年队
Children’s team! Children’s team!
太棒了
Yes!
我们赢了
We won, yes!
教练 那个男孩是让我赢的吗
Coach, did that boy let me win?
他没有让你 菲欧娜
He did not let you win, Phiona.
是你击败了他
You defeated him.
我怎么可能赢得了一个在这里上过学的男孩
How could I win a boy who goes to school here?
你击败了他 这就是事实
You defeated him.
明白吗
Mmm?
我想是时候让你和全坎帕拉
I think it’s time for you to meet
最好的老师见面了
the best teacher in Kampala.
少年队 少年队
Children’s team! Children’s team!
没有老师教我下棋
I had no master teachers.
我都是从这些书上学的
These taught me to play.
在这些书里 就好像
With books, it’s like the teacher
住着一个老师
lives inside the pages…
你有问题的时候 可以随时找到答案
and you can visit them whenever you wish.
萨拉很喜欢看书
Sarah loves books.
我真希望我能把这里面的知识
I wish I could take all the knowledge inside here…
全部都装进我的脑袋里
and just put it in my head.
你想学学怎么看这些书吗
Would you like to know how to read this book?
看到这个词了吗
You see that?
这个词叫“西洋棋”
That is the word “chess.”
就是你玩的游戏
You play the game.
既然会玩 为什么不学学怎么读呢
Why not read the words?
每一个字母都有自己的读音
Each letter makes a sound.
你的教练希望我们能成为好朋友
Your coach was hoping we would become friends.
我觉得完全没问题
I think that we will.
喝杯茶
Have some tea.
“西洋棋”
“Chess.”