我在想
I think that
我们都掉在自己的陷阱中
We’re all in our private traps,
被它紧紧困住 没人爬得出来
Clamped in them, and none of us can ever get out.
我们想抓住什么东西
We scratch and claw,
但抓到的只是空气 只是陷阱
But only at the air, only at each other.
结果 没有一点进展
And for all of it, we never budge an inch.
有时候我们根本没掉入那些陷阱
Sometimes we deliberately step into those traps.
我掉进去了 我不在乎了
I was born in mine. I don’t mind it anymore.
你应该在乎 应该在乎的
Oh, but you should. You should mind it.
我在乎 但我想说不在乎
Oh, I do, but I say I don’t.
如果有人像你母亲对你那样
You know, if anyone ever talked to me the way I heard,
同我说话的话…
The way she spoke to you…
有时候当她那样对我说话时
Sometimes when she talks to me like that,
我真想上楼去咒骂她 永远离开她
I feel I’d like to go up there and curse her and leave her forever.
至少不会顺从她
Or at least defy her.
但我知道我不能这样
But I know I can’t.
她病了
She’s ill.
听她说话的声音很健康
She sounded strong.
不 她病了
No, I mean ill.
自从我父亲死后她扶养我到现在
She had to raise me all by herself, after my father died.
当时我才5岁 对她的打击很大
I was only five and it must’ve been quite a strain for her.
她不必出去工作
I mean, she didn’t have to go to work or anything like that.
他给她留下了一点儿钱
He left her a little money.
几年前母亲遇到了一个男人
Anyway, a few years ago, mother met this man.
他说服她盖了这栋旅馆
And he talked her into building this motel.
他可以说服她干任何事
He could have talked her into anything.
当他也死后 对她的打击更大
And when he died, too, it was just too great a shock for her.
他死的样子…
And the way he died…
你吃饭时不应该说这些的
I guess it’s nothing to talk about while you’re eating.
总之 那对她是一大重创 她什么都没了
Anyway, it was just too great a loss for her. She had nothing left.
至少还有你啊
Except you.
儿子是替代不了爱人的
Well, a son is a poor substitute for a lover.
你为什么不离开呢
Why don’t you go away?
像你一样 去一个没人的地方吗
To a private island, like you?
不 不是像我
No, not like me.
我不能那样 谁来照顾她呢
I couldn’t do that. Who’d look after her?
她会很寂寞的
She’d be alone up there.
壁炉的火会灭的
Her fire would go out.
这里会寒冷得像座坟墓
It’d be cold and damp like a grave.
如果你爱某人
If you love someone,
即使你恨他 你也不会这样做
You don’t do that to them, even if you hate them.
你知道吗 我不恨她
You understand, I don’t hate her.
我只是恨她变成这个样子
I hate what she’s become.
我恨她的病态
I hate the illness.
如果你把她安置在某处…
Wouldn’t it be better if you put her
是不是比较好
Someplace…
你是说那个地方? 疯人院?
You mean an institution? A madhouse?
人们说的某处就是疯人院 不是吗
People always call a madhouse someplace, don’t they?
把她安置在某处
Put her in someplace.
抱歉 我不是说不照顾她
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it to sound uncaring.
你对照顾知道多少
What do you know about caring?
你到那种地方去看过吗
Have you ever seen the inside of one of those places?
他们又哭又笑
The laughing and the tears
用阴冷的双眼观察你
And the cruel eyes studying you.
我的母亲去那种地方?
My mother there?
但她不会伤害别人
But she’s harmless.
她不会伤害别人 就像那些标本鸟一样
She’s as harmless as one of those stuffed birds.
对不起
I am sorry.
我只是觉得…她好像在伤害你
I only felt… It seems she’s hurting you.
我没有恶意
I meant well.
人们总说没有恶意
People always mean well.
他们言辞温和 动作优雅
They cluck their thick tongues and shake their heads
建议正确 好像很优美一样
And suggest, oh, so very delicately.
当然 我自己也对自己建议过
Of course, I’ve suggested it myself.
但我讨厌这种想法
But I hate to even think about it.
她需要我
She needs me.
她并不是…
It’s not as if she were
疯子或者精神错乱的人
A maniac, a raving thing.
只是有时候会神智不清
She just goes a little mad sometimes.
我们有时候也会神智不清
We all go a little mad sometimes.
你没有过吗
Haven’t you?
有过
Yes.
但一次就够了
Sometimes just one time can be enough.
谢谢你
Thank you.
谢谢你 诺曼
Thank you, Norman.
诺曼
Norman.
你是不是要回房♥去了
Oh, you’re not going back to your room already?
我很累
I’m very tired.
明天还要开车 回凤♥凰♥城
And I have a long drive tomorrow, all the way back to Phoenix.
是吗
Really?
我在那里闯了点祸
I stepped into a private trap back there
我要回去处理一下
And I’d like to go back and try to pull myself out of it
乘还来得及
Before it’s too late for me, too.
你真的不想再多待一会儿吗
Are you sure you wouldn’t like to stay just a little while longer?
只是聊聊天
Just for talk?
我很想 但是…
Oh, I’d like to, but…
好吧
All right.
那明天早晨再见
Well, I’ll see you in the morning.
我会给你带点儿早点 好吗
I’ll bring you some breakfast, all right?
什么时候走
What time?
很早 黎明吧
Very early. Dawn.
好 怎么称呼…
All right, miss…
克兰
Crane.
克兰 没错
Crane. That’s it.
晚安
Good night.
不
No!
不
No!
母亲 天哪 母亲
Mother! Oh, god, mother!
血 血
Blood! Blood!
我试过很多牌子
I’ve tried many brands.
到目前为止 我用过的似乎都没什么效果
So far, of those I’ve used, I haven’t had much luck with any of them.
看看这个牌子怎么说
Let’s see what they say about this one.
它说的那些成分
They tell you what its ingredients are
保证可以驱除所有蚊虫
And how it’s guaranteed to exterminate every insect in the world,
但它没说是不是有痛苦
But they do not tell you whether or not it’s painless.
我想 昆虫和人一样 希望没有痛苦地死去
And I say, insect or man, death should always be painless.
我想这个牌子的品质
I suppose, this one seems to claim more and better
应该比其他的好
Qualities than lots of the others.
萨姆?
Sam?
萨姆 有位女士找你
Sam! Lady wants to see you.
小姐 什么事
Yes, miss?
我是曼璐的姐姐
I’m Marion’s sister.
是莱拉呀
Oh, sure. Lila.
曼璐在这里吗
Is Marion here?
当然不在
Well, of course not.
有什么事吗
Something wrong?
她星期五离开家
She left home on Friday.
我和孩子在图森度周末 那时我就没见到她
I was in Tucson over the weekend and I haven’t heard from her since.
甚至没接到她的电♥话♥
Not even a phone call.
如果你们两个要在一起 我不会管
Look, if you two are in this thing together, I don’t care,
这不关我的事
It’s none of my business,
我要和曼璐谈 我要曼璐告诉我
But I want to talk to Marion and I want her to tell me
这不关我的事 然后我就走…
It’s none of my business and then I’ll go…
鲍伯 出去吃午餐吧
Bob, run out and get yourself some lunch, will you?
没关系 萨姆 我带了
That’s okay, Sam. I brought it with me.
那就出去吃吧
Run out and eat it.
我们两个怎么会在一起
Now, what thing could we be in together?
对不起 我失态了
Sorry about the tears.
曼璐出事了吗 怎么回事
Well, is Marion in trouble? What is it?
我们一起来谈谈曼璐 好不好
Let’s all talk about Marion, shall we?