They’re physical cowards.
凯瑟琳呢? 现在不太方便
Where’s Catherine? – This is not a good time.
你要走了?
You’re leaving?
我们要搭中午的班机 你要带她走?
The flight is at noon. – You’re taking her away?

Yes.
去纽约? 对
To New York? – Yes.
你硬要带她走? 她乐得跟我去纽约
You’re just gonna drag her away? – She’s entirely happy to come.
我想和凯瑟琳说话 她不想见你
I’d like to speak to Catherine. – She doesn’t want to see you.
她有说是自己要去的吗?
Does she have any say in whether she goes?
哈洛,她这几天很不稳定
She’s been completely out of it, Hal.
她整整五天不肯开口
Five days she wasn’t speaking.
亲爱的,要不要穿外套?很冷哦
Do you want your coat, sweetie? It’s cold.
我去拿你的东西,剩下的搬家公♥司♥会搬
I’ll get your things. The movers will get anything we’ve forgotten.
你还好吗?
Are you all right?
证明没有问题
It works.
我想你大概想知道
I thought you might wanna know.
我一定得见你 我要走了
I had to see you. – I’m leaving.
等一下嘛 干嘛?你想干嘛?
Just wait a minute. – What? What do you want?
她告诉我她把笔记本交给你了
You have the book. She told me that she gave it to you,
你想怎么办就怎么办吧
so do whatever you want with it.
你可以发表,开个记者会
Publish. Go for it. Have a press conference.
把我父亲的发现公诸于世
Tell the world what my father discovered.
我不认为是你父亲写的
I don’t think your father wrote it.
你上周可不是这样说的 那是上周
You thought so last week. – That was last week.
我花了一个星期钻研,我应该看懂了
I spent this week reading the proof. I think I understand it.
这里面用了很多新的运算技巧
It uses a lot of newer mathematical techniques,
是八、九○年代发展出来的技巧
things that were developed in the ’80s and ’90s.
非交换性几何,随机矩阵
Noncommutative geometry, random matrices.
我想我这周学到的比念三年研究生还多
I think I learned more mathematics this week than in three years of grad school.
那又怎样? 这个证明很…
So? – So the proof is very…
新潮 哈洛,回家睡觉吧
hip. – Get some sleep, Hal.
你父亲这二十年在干嘛? 你说完没?
What was your father doing for 20 years? – Are you done?
他不可能会用这么新的方法
He wouldn’t have been able to master those new techniques.
他是个天才,但他也是个疯子
He was a genius. – But he was nuts.
也许是他后来读到的 也许
So he read about them later. – Maybe.
他要用的书都在楼上,有些还在你房♥里
The books he would’ve needed are upstairs in your room, some of them.
他连发疯时的涂鸦,都标明了日期
He dated everything. Even his most incoherent entries, he dated.
这本里面却没有日期,那笔迹呢?
There are no dates in this. – The handwriting.
父母和子女笔迹相似是很正常的
Parents and children can have similar handwriting,
特别是他们常常在一起的话
especially if they’ve spent a lot of time together.
很有意思的理论
Interesting theory.
我喜欢
I like it.
我也喜欢
I like it, too.
我上星期跟你说过一模一样的话
It’s what I told you last week.
我知道
I know.
你搞砸了,凯瑟琳,这是你的
You blew it. – This is yours, Catherine.
可惜,你其他的地方表现得无懈可击
It’s too bad, too, ’cause the rest of it was really good.
“我敬爱你♥爸♥”“我喜欢你”
“我想时时刻刻陪着你”
“I loved your dad.” “I always liked you.” “I wanna spend every minute with you.”
唬得我一愣一愣
That’s killer stuff.
我是真心的
I meant it.
你爽了,还拿到笔记,好个一石二鸟的天才
You got laid and you got the notebook. You’re a genius.
不要这样,凯瑟琳
Talk to me, Catherine.
这证明是你写的 算了
This proof is yours. – Forget it.
你迟早得要面对,不能再逃避下去
You’ll have to deal with it eventually. You can’t just ignore it.
你一定要发表 哈洛,别烦我了
You’ll have to publish. – Leave me alone, Hal.
至少拿回去吧 我不要
Take it at least. – I don’t want it.
我在亡羊补牢啊 来不及了!
Come on. I am trying to correct things. – You can’t!
听到了没?
Do you hear me?
你以为想通了什么大道理?
You think you’ve figured something out?
你因为改变主意而沾沾自喜?
You run over here all pleased with yourself because you changed your mind?
你现在确定了? 哈洛,你什么都不懂
Now you’re certain? Hal, you don’t know anything.
那本笔记、运算法、日期、笔迹
The book, the math, the dates, the writing,
你和你哥们做的那些决定,只不过是证据
all that stuff you just decided with your buddies, it’s just evidence.
根本无法证明任何事 那要什么才能证明?
It doesn’t prove anything. – OK, what would?
什么都不行
Nothing.
你该相信我的
You should’ve trusted me.
我…
I…
我知道
I know.
克莱儿把房♥子卖♥♥了?
Claire sold the house?
她要我去纽约,她要照顾我
She wants me in New York. She wants to look after me.
什么?你要人照顾?你花了五年照顾你♥爸♥
What? Do you need looking after? You looked after your father for five years.
也许现在轮到我了,你正常得很
So maybe it’s my turn. – There is nothing wrong with you.
亲亲,我们该出发了
We should be on our way, honey.
你不能一走了之
You can’t just walk away,
把这一切抛诸脑后,跑去当店员
pretend like it never happened and then get a job at Urban Outfitters or something.
收下 凯蒂,走吧
Just take it. – Katie, honey, let’s go.
留在芝加哥,你是大人了
Stay in Chicago. You’re an adult.
我要走了
I gotta go.
求求你 不
Please. – No.
凯瑟琳,这不是为了我 凯蒂,走吧
Catherine, this isn’t about me. – Katie, come on.
你不会愧对自己吗?
Don’t you owe this to yourself at least?
再见,哈洛
Goodbye, Hal.
凯瑟琳!
Catherine!
凯瑟琳!
Catherine!
两位要去哪里? 纽约市
Hi. And where are you going today? – To New York City.
请出示附相片的证件
Can I see some photo ID, please?
你做了不少事嘛
Wow. You sure got a lot done.
我多留了五天
Well, I had five extra days.
我要喝咖啡,你要不要?
I need some more coffee. Do you want some?
你的清单上有我吗?
Am I on that list?
什么?
What?
“搞定神经病小妹”
“Square away crazy sister.”
打勾
Check.
凯蒂,这话太不公平
That’s not fair, Katie.
我只想照顾你
I just wanna take care of you.
凯瑟琳!
Catherine!
干嘛? 天啊!
What? – Aah! Jesus!
差点被你吓死,你站在那里干嘛?
God, you scared me. What are you doing there?
抱歉,我只是…我想要…
Sorry. I just… I wanted to…
天大的好消息
It’s wonderful news.
我算出来了
I think I’ve got it.
怎么样?
What do you think?
哇,爸 你相信吗?
Wow, Dad. – Can you believe it?
我就知道你行的
I knew you had it in you.
这样的反应太冷淡了吧?
That’s a pretty mealy-mouthed response.
你觉得怎样?来讨论一下
What about it? What do you think? Let’s talk it through.
改天吧,我累了
Not tonight. I’m tired.
别这样,这只是千秋大业的开端
Come on. This is the beginning of our real work together.
你以为我先有了突破,抢了你的锋芒?
You think I’ve stolen the thunder because I broke through first?
这只是开始啊
This is only the beginning.
我想回房♥睡觉 念前两行就好了
I think we should call it a night. – Read out the first couple of lines.
一行行讨论,看有没有更好更快的方法
We go line by line out loud, see if there’s a better way, a shorter way.
明天吧
No. Come on. Tomorrow.
我等这一刻,等了好几年
I’ve waited years for this, goddamn it.
我们讨论一下嘛 爸,我们先睡吧
Let’s do some work together. – Dad, I think we should get some sleep.
我要先讨论我的证明 我不想讨论
Not until we talk about the proof! – I don’t want to talk about it.
该死的,把笔记本打开,大声念出来!
Goddammit, open the goddamn book! Read me the lines!
“?代表所有?的量”
“Let X equal the quantity of all quantities of X.
“?等于寒冷”
“Let X equal the cold.
“12月很冷”
“It is cold in December.
“寒冷月份等于11月到2月”
“The months of cold equal November through February.
“一年有四个寒冷月份,四个炎热月份”
“There are four months of cold and four of heat,
“剩下四个温度未知的月份”
“leaving four months of indeterminate temperature.
“二月会下雪”
“In February. It snows.
“三月,湖面结冰”
“In March. The lake is a lake of ice.
“九月,学生返校”
“In September. The students come back
“书店热闹滚滚”
“and the bookstores are full.
“?相当于书店热闹滚滚的月份”
“Let X equal the month of full bookstores.
“书的数目趋近于无限大”
“The number of books approaches infinity
“而寒冷月份的数目趋近于四”
“as the number of months of cold approaches four.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!