这是你父亲的笔迹!
It is your father’s handwriting!
至少很像其他笔记里的笔迹
At least, it looks an awful lot like the writing in the other books.
说不定你们父女俩的字很像
Maybe your writing looks exactly like his. I don’t know.
我们的字是很像
It does look like his.
而且这是他专用的那种笔记本
I mean, it’s one of his notebooks, the exact same kind he used.
我说过,这本是他给我的
I told you. He gave it to me.
我没有拿给任何人看
I didn’t show this to anyone.
我希望你是第一个看到的人
I wanted you to be the first to see it. I didn’t know I wanted that until last night.
我昨晚才下定决心
我信任你 我知道
I trusted you. – I know.
我是不是错了? 不
Was I wrong? – No.
我早该知道她不会相信,但你却维护她?
I should’ve known that she wouldn’t believe me, but why don’t you?
我知道写这种东西有多难
I know how hard it would be to come up with something like this.
只有你♥爸♥正值巅峰时,才写得出来
You’d have to be your dad at the peak of his powers.
你和其他那些书呆子崇拜他
Just because you and the rest of the geeks worshipped him
但不表示这就是他写的
does not mean he wrote the proof.
他是顶尖高手,我们没他那样的天才
He was the best. My generation hasn’t produced anything like him.
在他22岁前,就两度革新了这个领域
He revolutionized the field twice before he was 22.
对不起,但你只不过是在西北念了几个月
I am sorry. You took some classes at Northwestern for a few months.
我的教育不是来自西北 还是没差别
My education wasn’t at Northwestern! – Even so, it doesn’t matter.
这太高深了,我也只看得懂皮毛
It’s too advanced. I don’t even understand most of it.
你觉得太高深? 对
You think it’s too advanced? – Yes.
那是对你而言
It’s too advanced for you.
这不可能是你写的
You could not have done this work.
万一是我写的呢? 那又怎样?
But what if I did? – Well, what if?
那你就惨了
It would be a real disaster for you.
对吧?
Wouldn’t it?
你和那些千辛万苦拿到博士的书呆子
You and the other geeks who barely finished your PhD’s,
庸庸碌碌地做些琐碎的研究
who are marking time doing lame research,
吹嘘自己参加过的研讨会
bragging about the conferences they go to.
了不起
Wow.
组个三脚猫乐团
Playing in an awful band and whining that they’re intellectually past it at 26,
因为26岁开始走下坡,而长吁短叹
因为你们没戏唱了
because they are!
凯瑟琳
Catherine.
凯瑟琳
Catherine.
你什么时候要跟我算数学?
When are you going to do some mathematics with me?
我宁可自杀 要不要加起司?
I can’t think of anything worse. You want some Parmesan?
我很孤单,有志难言,你却不肯帮忙
I’m all alone. I have important things to say, and you’re not helping.
你以前很喜欢算数学 现在不喜欢了
You used to love it. – Not anymore.
你还不识字时,就知道什么叫做质数
You knew prime numbers before you could read.
我已经忘了,凯瑟琳,别这么懒散!
Well, now I’ve forgotten. – Don’t be lazy, Catherine!
不是我懒散,我在忙着照顾你
I haven’t been lazy. I’ve been taking care of you.
你辍学,每天睡到日上三竿
You dropped out of school. You sleep till noon.
吃垃圾食物,脏碗堆得半天高
You eat junk. You don’t work. Dishes pile up in the sink.
有时甚至睡一整天 还是状况好的时候
Some days you don’t even get out of bed. – Those are the good days.
大好时光全被你睡掉了,你在错失良机
They’re fever days and you sweated them away. You’ll never know what work you lost
因为你老躺在凌乱的床上,自怜自艾
because you were moping, moping in your unmade bad. Always moping.
有时候还赖到下午四点,凯瑟琳
Up until four in the afternoon sometimes, Catherine.
我看了时间,你别想抵赖
I have you on my clock. You know I’m right.
这可是大人物告诉我的,你我都心里有数
You know, I’m told by some very important people. You know I know.
我是浪费了几天 多少天?
I’ve lost a few days. – How many?
我不知道 少来,你一定算过
I don’t know. – I bet you do. I bet you count.
别闹了 你浪费了多少天?
Knock it off. – How many days have you lost?
约一个月 没错
A month. Around a month. – Exactly.
爸,吃饭啦 多少天?
Dad, eat your dinner. – How many?
33天 精确一点!
33 days. – Be precise, for Christ’s sake.
我今天睡到中午
I slept till noon today.
那就33又四分之一天
Make it 33 and a quarter days.

Yeah, all right.
你在开玩笑 没有
You’re kidding. – No.
这个数字太屌♥了 这个数学超鸟的
Amazing number. – It’s a depressing fucking number.
若你浪费的每一天都是一年,就有意思了
If every day you lost were a year, it would be a very interesting fucking number.
33又1 / 4年很没意思 别跟我打哈哈
33 and a quarter years is not interesting. – Stop it. You know exactly what I mean.
1729周 1729,好数字
1729 weeks. – 1729. Great number.
这是可用两种立方…来表示的最小的数字
The smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways.
12的立方加1的立方是1729
12 cubed plus 1 cubed equals 1729.
及10的立方加9的立方… 算出来了,谢谢
And 10 cubed plus 9 cubed… Yes, we’ve got it. Thank you.
看吧
You see?
就连你的忧郁,都和数学脱不了关系
Even your depression is mathematical.
别再自怜自艾了
Stop moping.
打起精神来工作
Do some work.
你们看
Take a look.
凯瑟琳?
Catherine?
凯蒂宝贝?
Katie, honey?
凯瑟琳
Catherine.
我知道要如何算L的最小值了
I figured out how to get a lower bound for L.
修正L的算式
Modification of Landau-Siegel.
万一L有个虚拟零呢?
What if this L had a Siegel zero?
你需要一个有说服力的方法
You’d need an effective version.
可恶
Shit.
凯瑟琳
Catherine.
凯瑟琳!
Catherine!
( 但愿为真 )
凯瑟琳!
Catherine!
干嘛? 天啊!
What? – Aah! Jesus!
差点被你吓死,你站在那里干嘛?
God, you scared me. What are you doing there?
抱歉,我只是…我想要…
Sorry. I just… I wanted to…
天大的好消息
It’s wonderful news.
我算出来了
I think I’ve got it.
凯瑟琳!
Catherine!
凯蒂
Katie.
凯蒂,怎么了? 不是我写的…
Katie, what is it? – It’s not mine. It’s not mine!
不是我写的,是他写的… 怎么了?
It’s not mine. It’s his. It’s not mine. – What, honey?
不是我写的… 怎么回事?
It’s not mine. It’s not mine. – What, honey? What’s the matter?
是我偷来的,不是我的…
I stole it from him. I stole it. It’s not mine.
你这话是什么意思? 不是我的
What do you mean, you stole it? – It’s not mine.

OK.
我害死他了… 没有…
I killed him. I killed him. – No, honey. No.
我根本不该写的…
I never should have written it. I never should have written it.
没事了… 我根本不该写的
OK. You’re OK. – I never should have written it.
有没有可能…?
Is it…? Is it possible, honey, that…?
会不会你太希望是你写的
Is it possible that you just wanted to so badly
你理当写出这么特别的证明
and you… you deserved to do something special like this thing, this proof?
会不会是你错以为是你写的?
Is it possible that you just imagined that you wrote it?
有没有可能根本就是爸写的?
Is it possible that it really was Dad’s after all?
有没有可能?
Is that possible?
甜心,你没有害死他
You didn’t kill him, sweetheart.
他是自己死的
He just died, that’s all.
他自己死的
He just died.
我们不在家,请留言
Hi. We’re not here. Please leave a message.
凯瑟琳,又是我
Catherine. It’s me again. I really need to speak to you.
我真的有话跟你说,请回电
So please call me back.
我帮你拿好吗?
Can I take these for you?
克莱儿!
Claire!
我以为你走了 我把机票延后了
I thought you’d left. – I had to delay my flight.
凯瑟琳呢?我有话跟她说
Where’s Catherine? I need to talk to her.
她在里面 这个证明…
She’s inside. – This thing…
滴水不漏
checks out.
我找了两代书呆子帮我看
I’ve been over it with two sets of guys, old geeks and young geeks.
超诡异的
It’s weird.
我不知这些技巧哪来的,有些步骤很难懂
I don’t know where the techniques come from, it is very hard to follow,
但我们找不出任何漏洞
but we can’t find anything wrong with it.
也许有瑕疵,但我们挑不出来
I mean, there may be something wrong with it, but we can’t find it.
我一直没睡觉
I have not slept.
这是真的
It’s real.
谢谢
Thank you.
我叫他们发誓保密
See, I had to swear these guys to secrecy.
他们快兴奋死了
They were jumping out of their skins.
只要一封电子邮件,就全泡汤了
One email, it’s all over.
我威胁他们,我想应该不用担心了
I threatened them. Yeah, I think we’re safe.
他们胆子很小

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!