You’re working?
格老子的
Goddamn it!
我在工作
I’m working!
“我”
I mean, I say “I.”
机器
Machinery.
凯瑟琳,机器又开始运转了
The machinery’s working, Catherine.
全速运转,火力全开
It’s on full blast. All the cylinders are firing.
我简直像霹雳火
I’m on fire.
才要出来冷却一下,好几年没这感觉了
That’s why I came out here to cool off. I haven’t felt like this for years.
你在开玩笑吧? 没有
You’re kidding. – No.
我不相信 我也不相信,但是真的
I don’t believe it. – I don’t believe it either, but it’s true.
约一个星期前,我起床
It started about a week ago. I woke up.
下楼,泡了杯咖啡
I came downstairs, made a cup of coffee.
还没加奶精,就灵光一闪
Before I could pour the milk in, it was like someone turned the light on in my head.
真的? 不只是灵光,是天雷地火
Really? – Not the light. The whole grid. I lit up!
我好像又回到21岁那年
It’s like no time has passed since I was 21.
你在唬我? 不,我复原了
You’re kidding me. – No. I’m back.
我复原了,我找到灵感的源头
I’m back. In touch with the source! The font.
再度灵思泉涌
Whatever the source of my creativity was all those years ago, I’m in contact with it.
我的灵感像喷泉刷一声地喷得半天高
I’m sitting on it. It’s a geyser, and I’m shooting up in the air on top of it.
天啊
God.
我不是说我现在有如神来之笔,不能自休
I’m not talking about divine inspiration. It’s not funneling into my head, onto the page.
这件浩大工程,是项极其艰巨的挑战
I’m not saying it won’t be a lot of work. It will be, a tremendous amount of work.
这不是件简单的事,但雏形已经有了
It’s not gonna be easy. But the raw material is there.
我的想法未来大有可为,新技巧将应运而生
I see places for the work to go, new techniques.
不同领域的人将会因此而互通有无
I’m gonna get whole branches of the profession talking to each other.
对不起
I’m sorry.
我太怠慢了
I’m being rude.
你在学校还好吧? 很好
How’s school? – School’s fine.
有没有用功念书? 当然有
You’re working hard? – Sure.
教授对你还好吧? 很好
Faculty treating you all right? – Yes.
有交到朋友吗? 有
Made any friends? – Yes.
有没有交男朋友? 爸
You dating? – Dad.
不想说细节没关系
No details necessary if you don’t want to provide them.
我在学校很好,我要谈谈你的构想
School is fine, OK? I want to talk about what you’re doing.
好,咱们来谈
Great. Let’s talk.
这个构想… 怎样?
This work… – Yes.
在这里? 一部分
It’s here? – Part of it, yes.
我可以看吗? 现在只是粗具雏形
Can I see it? – It’s all at a very early stage.
我不管 还不完整
I don’t care. – It’s not complete.
老实说,八字还没一撇,可能要好几年
To be honest, it’s all in progress. I think we’re talking years.
爸,不要紧,让我看一眼就好了
Dad, it’s OK. Just let me see anything.
你真的想看? 对
You really want to? – Yes.
你真的有兴趣? 当然
You’re genuinely interested? – Dad, of course.
当然,这是你的专长嘛
Of course. It is your field.

Yes.
你知道我有多欣慰吗?
You know how happy that makes me?
知道
Yes.
这构想够我忙到入土,而且不只是我一人
I think there’s enough here to keep me working the rest of my life. And not just me.
凯瑟琳,我开始担心自己江郎才尽
I was starting to imagine I was finished, Catherine. Really finished.
你知道我有多怕…自己不能再工作吗?
I was terrified I’d never work again. Did you know that?
我有想过,我吓死了
I wondered. – I was absolutely bloody terrified.
但后来我想到你
Then I remembered something. I remembered you.
你的创造生涯才开始
Your creative years were just beginning. You’d get your degree, do your own work.
你会拿到学位,做自己的研究
若你没走上数学这条路,也不要紧
If you hadn’t gone into math, that would’ve been all right.
克莱儿很出色,我很满意
Now, Claire’s done well for herself. I’m satisfied with her.
但我以你为荣
I’m proud of you!
我知道你有事要忙,但别忽略课业
I know you’ve got your own work, and I don’t want you to neglect that.
绝不能忽略课业,但我可能需要帮手
You mustn’t neglect it. But I could probably use some help.
我希望你能帮我,你可以跟我合作
To be honest, I’d like you to help me, to work with me, if you want to.
若你排课排不开,我可以帮你
If you can work it out with your class schedule. I could help you with that.
打电♥话♥跟你的教授商量
Make some calls, talk to your teachers.
对不起,我想太远了
I’m sorry. I’m getting ahead of myself.
废话说得太多
Oh, Jesus, look, enough bullshit.
你不是想看我的构想吗?从这个开始
You asked to see something. Let’s start with this.
我写了个大概,是证明的大纲
I have roughed something out. It’s a general outline for a proof.
这是很重大的发现,非同小可啊
It’s a major result. It’s important.
还没写完,不过可以看出个大概
It’s not finished, but, uh… you can see where it’s going.
拿去
Here.
还很粗略
It’s very rough.
里面还有别的笔记吗? 没有,只有那本…
Was there any other work in here? – No. That’s the only…
我可以看看吗?
Can I see it?
对不起,我只是…
I’m sorry. I just…
你写了这么棒的证明,居然没告诉任何人?
So you wrote this incredible thing, but you didn’t tell anyone?
我现在不是告诉你们两个了?
I’m telling you both now.
凯瑟琳,对不起,但我很难相信
Catherine, I’m sorry, but I just find this very hard to believe.
克莱儿…这是爸的笔迹
Claire… – This is Dad’s handwriting.
才不是
It’s not.
看起来和他的一模一样,这是我的笔迹
It looks exactly like it. – That is my writing.
对不起
I’m sorry.
问哈洛好了,他这周都在看爸写的东西
Well, ask Hal. He’s been looking at Dad’s writing all week.
我不知道 哈洛,看一下嘛
Well, I don’t know. – Hal, come on.
我不是笔迹专家 看起来像谁的笔迹?
I’m not a handwriting expert. – Well, whose writing does it look like?
看起来…我没看过凯瑟琳的笔迹
It looks… I don’t know what Catherine’s handwriting looks like.
那就是我的笔迹
It looks like that.

OK.
现在是大清早
You know what I think? I think it’s early,
大家都很累,不要这么激动
and everybody’s tired and not in the best state to make emotional decisions.
我们深吸一口气 你不相信我
So let’s just all take a breath. – You don’t believe me.
我对数学一窍不通
Well, I really don’t know anything about this.
算了
Never mind.
我不知道怎么会奢望你相信我
I don’t know why I expected you to believe me about anything.
能证明给我们听吗?这样就能确定是你写的
Could you tell us the proof? And then that would show that it was yours.
讲了你也不懂
You wouldn’t understand it.
那讲给哈洛听好了
Well, tell it to Hal.
那也行,不过得讲上好一阵子
I mean, I could. We could sit down and talk it through. It might take a while.
你不能看笔记,那个证明足足有40页
You can’t use the book. – For God’s sake, it’s 40 pages long.
这又不是食谱,我没有背下来
I didn’t memorize it. It’s not a muffin recipe.
这太可笑了
Oh, Jesus, this is stupid.
哈洛,告诉她 告诉她什么?
Hal, tell her. – Tell her what?
这本笔记是谁的? 我不知道
Whose book is that? – I don’t know.
你是怎么了?
What is the matter with you?
你看过其他的笔记
You’ve been… You’ve been going through this other stuff.
你明知爸写的,和这里面的根本不同
You know there’s nothing even remotely like that up here.
凯瑟琳… 好…
Catherine… – OK. OK.
好,我们坐下来,我证明给你听
OK, we’ll sit down and I’ll talk you through the proof.
可以吗?…
OK? OK?
只要克莱儿愿意把我的笔记还给我
If Claire will please let me have my book back.
好,讲给他听
All right. OK, talk him through it.
这还是无法证明是她写的 为什么?
It still wouldn’t prove that she wrote it. – Why not?
搞不好是你♥爸♥写的,他写完后教过你
Your dad may have written it and explained it to you later.
倒不一定是这样,只是没证据证明…
I’m not saying he did. I’m saying there’s no proof that…
这不是废话吗?这不可能是他写的!
Of course there isn’t. But come on! He didn’t write it. He couldn’t have.
就连他病情稳定的那年,他也无法工作
Even in the year he was well, he couldn’t work.
你心里明白,你不是搞科学的吗?
You know that. You’re supposed to be a scientist.
不如这样,我在系上有三、四个熟人
Here’s my suggestion. I know three or four guys at the department,
很出色,又了解你♥爸♥的理论,没利害关系
sharp, disinterested people, who knew your dad’s work.
我拿去给他们看 什么?
I’ll take this to them. – What?
我告诉他们,我可能找到了很重要的东西
I’ll tell them that we found something potentially major.
但不知是谁写的,我们和他们坐下来
We’re not sure of the authorship. I’ll sit with them.
好好讨论一番,看看这究竟是什么
We’ll talk through it, and we’ll figure out what we’ve got.
可能要花个两天,但可以多知道些资讯
It might take a couple days, but then we’d have a lot more information.
这个建议很好
I think that’s an excellent suggestion.
不行! 凯瑟琳
You can’t. – Catherine.
别想拿走 我不是要拿走
You can’t take it. – I am not taking it.
这下正合你的意 你误会了…
This is exactly what you wanted. – Oh, come on. Jesus…
你还真是一刻都不浪费,毫不犹豫
You don’t waste any time, do you? It’s no hesitation.
等不及要把自己伟大的发现拿出去炫耀
You can’t wait to show them your brilliant discovery.
我只是想搞清楚 我正在讲给你听啊
I am trying to determine what this is. – I’m telling you what it is.
你也不知道! 这是我写的!
You don’t know! – I wrote it!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!