He should’ve been in a full-time professional care situation.
他不属于疯人院
He didn’t belong in the nuthouse.
他去疗养院好 他必须住在自己家
He might have been better off. – He needed to be here in his own house,
贴近一切让他快乐的事物
near everything that made him happy.
也许吧
Maybe.
但比许让专业医生治疗他
Or maybe some real professional care would have done him more good
比让他在你的照顾下老朽来得好
than rattling around in this mausoleum with you looking after him.
他病情好转又怎么说?三年前他正常近一年
What about his remission? Three years ago, he was healthy for almost a year.
但后来又走下坡了,他住院可能会更糟
Then he went downhill again. – He might have been worse in a hospital.
他可能会好转,他有再做研究吗?
He might have been better. Did he ever do any work again?
没有 没有,你也会过得比较好
No. – No. And you might have been better.
比什么好?
Better… than what?
你很有天分
You had so much talent.
你以为我像爸爸一样
You think I’m like Dad.
我认为你遗传了他的天分
I think you have some of his talent
和他不稳定的倾向
and some of his tendency toward instability.
克莱儿
Claire.
除了在纽约帮我相中几间可爱的公♥寓♥
In addition to the cute apartments that you’ve scouted for me in New York,
你是不是也发挥了你惊人的精力
have you by any chance devoted some of your considerable energies
帮你情绪不稳定的小妹相了几间疯人院?
towards scouting out another type of living facility for your bughouse little sister?
绝对没有,我完全没有这个意思
No. Absolutely not. That is not what this is about.
不要骗我,克莱儿
Don’t lie to me, Claire.
我研究过了… 天啊
The resources that I’ve investigated… – My God.
我只想说,纽约的医生是全国最好的
If you wanted. All I’m saying is, the doctors and the people in New York are the best.
天啊! 你不用住在…
Jesus! – You wouldn’t have to live…
我恨你! 别吼
I hate you! – Don’t yell.
我恨你!
I hate you!
你在这里做什么?
What are you doing here?
这件事你知道多久了?
How long have you known about this?
一阵子
A while.
你为什么没有告诉我?
Why didn’t you tell me about it?
我不确定想不想告诉你
I wasn’t sure if I wanted to.
谢谢
Thank you.
不客气
You’re welcome.
怎么回事? 凯瑟琳,谢谢
What’s going on? – Catherine, thank you.
我想你大概会有兴趣 这是什么?
I thought you might like to see it. – What is it?
棒呆了 这是什么?
It’s incredible. – What is it?
是结果,是证明
Oh, it’s a result, a proof.
看起来还蛮有模有样 很冗长的证明
It looks like a proof. It is a proof. A very long proof.
我还没核对完,我搞不好看不懂
I haven’t read through it all yet or checked it. I don’t even know if I could check it.
但若我猜得没错,这下可是挖到宝了
But if it’s a proof of what I think it’s a proof of, it’s a very important proof.
它证明了什么?
What does it prove?
似乎是证明质数的数学定理
It looks like it proves a mathematical theorem about prime numbers
圆了数学家自古以来的美梦
which mathematicians have been trying to prove since there were mathematicians.
你知道这件事?
You know about this?
写得好吗?若正确无误,就惊天动地了
Is it any good? – It’s historic, if it checks out.
那又怎么样?
What does it mean?
这表示在人们以为令尊发疯的那段时间
It means that when everybody thought your dad was crazy,
他有了数学史上最重要的发现
he did some of the most important mathematics ever.
若正确无误,就能马上出版,开记者会
If it checks out, it means you publish instantly. You hold press conferences.
全世界所有的报社
It means that all newspapers around the world
都会想和发现这本笔记的人谈谈
are gonna want to talk to the person who found this notebook.
凯瑟琳,凯瑟琳
Catherine. – Catherine.
不是我找到的
I didn’t find it.
怎么不是? 真的不是
Yes, you did. – No, I didn’t.
是你还是哈洛? 这本笔记不是我找到的
Did you find it or did Hal find it? – I didn’t find it.
不是我找到的
I didn’t find it.
是我写的
I wrote it.
哈啰,你要去哪里?
Hey, guys. – Where you headed?
我约了班德利迟了 快去,他很龟毛的
I’m late for Bhandari. – You know what he’s like. Better get there.
回头见
Catch you later.
进来
Yeah.
凯瑟琳
Ah. Catherine.
多谢你大驾光临 抱歉迟到了
So nice of you to drop by. – Sorry I’m late.
你的作业… 我知道,对不起
This work of yours… – I know. I’m sorry.
很有意思 真的?
I mean, it’s interesting. – You think so?
只不过和我出的题目风马牛不相及
In that it has nothing to do with the problems I’d asked you to solve.
下不为例 怎么回事?
It won’t happen again. – What happened?
无法控制自己?
You simply couldn’t control yourself?
不,我只是…灵感来了只想赶快写下来
No. I just… I thought I should get all those ideas down while they were in my head,
回过神来已经早上了,我又不能交白卷
and then it was morning, and I couldn’t come in with nothing.
这是你第三次擅自作主
But this is the third time that inspiration’s overtaken you
不顾我要你学的东西
just at the moment when you had to submit to my idea
自行发挥
of what it is you should be learning.
第三次?真的? 你对微分方程式没兴趣
A third? Really. – Differential equations don’t interest you.
不,不是这样的…我很喜欢微分方程式
No, they do. I mean… Yeah, they absolutely do.
但昨天晚上是例外
Oh, but they didn’t last night.
这倒是
Not as much as usual.
我的意思是…
I mean…
你的学业表现每况愈下,我很担心
I’m worried that your work is deteriorating.
你的构想不错
There are some good ideas here, but… it isn’t a coherent mathematical argument.
但这称不上是条理分明的数学论述
我没时间写完 数学不是玩爵士乐
Well, I didn’t get time to finish it. – But mathematics isn’t jazz.
就最疯狂的算式,目的都是证明定律
Even the craziest mathematics is working towards a proof.
我们家的数学家,不全是疯子
Not all the mathematicians in my family are crazy.
我不是那个意思 我知道…我只是澄清
I wasn’t using the word in a clinical way. – I know. I know. Just for the record.
令尊还好吧?
How is your father?
不知道 我这个星期都找不到他
I don’t know. I haven’t been able to get in touch with him for a week.
他没事
He’s fine.
我上次和他聊时他很好
他这九个月情况都很好
Last time I talked to him, he was fine. He’s been fine for months now. Nine months.
他曾经是个伟人
He was a great man.
现在还是
He still is.
你要当我,对不对?
You’re gonna fail me, aren’t you?
我再给你一次机会
I’m giving you another chance to redo the problem set.
给我写出来,我对你的能力有信心
You need an A. You’re quite capable of earning one.
谢谢
Thank you.
班德利教授? 什么事?
Professor Bhandari? – Yeah.
别为我担心,好吗?
Don’t worry about me, OK?
我会写个让你爱不释手的答案
I’m gonna write you a really nice fat set of answers that you’re really gonna like.
我们不在家,请留言
Hi. We’re not here. Please leave a message.
克莱儿?你最后一次和爸讲话是何时?
Claire? Hi. Listen. When was the last time you spoke to Dad?
星期二?天啊
Tuesday? Oh, God.
没事,但我平常都天天和他通电♥话♥
It’s fine. It’s just that I normally talk to him every day,
我最近一直找不到他
and I haven’t been able to get ahold of him.
你认为没问题我就放心了
Well, I’m glad that you’re sure everything’s fine.
我心里舒坦多了,谢谢
I feel much more comfortable. Thank you.
会发生什么事? 他搞不好被车撞了
What could have happened? I mean, he could’ve had a car accident.
或是摔断髋骨
He could’ve fallen and broken his hip.
甚至是在大马路上裸奔
He could be running naked down the Midway for all I know.
克莱儿,我知道你很关心爸爸
Yes, Claire, I know that you care about Dad.
和我一样关心爸,好吗?挂电♥话♥了好不好?
Yeah, as much as me. OK. Now can I please get off the phone?
爸?
Dad?
哈啰
Hello!
爸?
Dad?

Dad!
爸?
Dad?
凯瑟琳,你怎么来了?
Catherine, hi. What a surprise.
你在这里干嘛? 我在思考
What are you doing out here? – I’m thinking.
写东西
Writing.
现在是零下一度,而且是三更半夜
It’s 30 degrees. It’s the middle of the night.
我知道 你不冷吗?
I know. – Well, aren’t you cold?
当然冷,我快冻僵了
Of course I am. I’m freezing my ass off.
那你在这里干嘛?
So what are you doing out here?
屋里太热,暖气吵得我无法专心
It’s too hot in the house. The radiators clank and I couldn’t concentrate.
我打了一通电♥话♥,你没听到我留言?
I’ve been calling and calling. Did you not get my messages?
我懒得回
It’s a distraction.
我担心死了,飞车回来看你
I didn’t know what was going on. I had to drive all the way out here.
看得出来
I can see that.
你为什么不接电♥话♥? 对不起,凯瑟琳
Why don’t you answer the phone? – I’m sorry, Catherine.
事有轻重缓急,你知道我是工作优先
But it’s a question of priorities, and work takes priority. You know that.
你在工作?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!