He was a graphomaniac, Harold. Do you know what that is?
他有写字强迫症,叫我哈洛
He wrote compulsively. Call me Hal.
他像只打字的猴子,笔记里全是废话
It’s like a monkey at a typewriter. 103 notebooks full of bullshit.
我打算从头到尾看一遍,你呢?
I’m prepared to look at every page. Are you?
我不要
No.
我又不是疯子
I’m not crazy.
我要迟到了
Well, I’m gonna be late.
我朋友在搞乐团
Some friends of mine are in this band.
他们今晚登台,是小牌,排在两点半
They’re playing in a bar on Diversey, way down the bill, around 2:30.
我答应去捧场 好极了
I said I’d be there. – Great.
他们都是数学系的,很不赖哦
They’re all in the math department. They’re good.
他们有首歌♥你会喜欢,叫做“i”,小写的i
They have this song called “i.” You’d like it. Lowercase i.
他们会在台上站三分钟,什么都不做
They just stand there. They don’t play anything for three minutes.
虚数?
Imaginary number?
数学家的内行笑话,难怪他们红不了
It’s a math joke. You see why they’re way down the bill.
干嘛大老远跑去看书呆子耍宝?
That’s a long drive to see some nerds in a band.
这样说很过分,其实也没那么远
I hate when people say that. It’s not really that long of a drive.
你承认他们是书呆子?呆到最高点
So they are nerds. – Oh, they’re raging geeks.
但他们还蛮会穿衣服的
But they’re geeks who can dress themselves
在大学里有份稳定的优差
and hold down a job at a major university.
其中有些人换戴隐形眼镜
Some of them have switched from glasses to contacts.
他们打球、玩音乐、在女人堆里很吃得开
They play sports. They play in a band. They get laid surprisingly often.
叫人会忍♥不住重新思考那些字眼的定义:
So it makes you kind of question the whole set of terms:
“技客”“书呆子”“呆伯特”“粉笔鬼”
“Geek,” “nerd,” “wonk,” “Dilbert,” “paste-eater.”
你也是乐团的一员吧? 好吧,我认了
You’re in this band, aren’t you? – OK, yes.
我是鼓手,你来吗?我发誓我不唱
I play the drums. You wanna come? I never sing. I swear to God.
不用了 听我说,凯瑟琳
No, thanks. – All right, look. Catherine.
星期一,好不好? 你不用上班吗?
Monday. What do you say? – Don’t you have a job?
教书外带做研究,还有练唱
A full teaching load plus my own work. – Plus band practice.
我还要教小孩打冰上曲棍球,你真烦
Plus I teach hockey to ten-year-olds. – You make me sick.
我实在没时间,希望你能让我做好这事
I don’t have time to do this, but I have to if you’ll let me.
我很爱你♥爸♥,我不相信他的才智会一夕间瓦解
I loved your dad, and I don’t believe a mind like his can just shut down.
他也清醒过,三年前他清醒了一整年
He had lucid moments, a lucid year, a whole year three years ago.
抱歉 让我…
Sorry. – Look, let me…
等等,你27岁,对吧? 你几岁?
Wait. You’re 27, right? – How old are you?
那不重要 你几岁?
Doesn’t matter. – How old are you?
26岁,你♥爸♥比我们还年轻时
I’m 26. When your dad was younger than both of us,
在三个领域有了重大突破:
he made major contributions to three fields:
博奕理论、代数几何… 别对我说教
Game theory, algebraic geometry… – Don’t lecture me.
若我有你♥爸♥的十分之一
If I came up with a tenth of the shit your dad produced,
就可以在国内各大学畅行无阻
I could write my ticket to any math department in the country.
把你的背包给我
Give me your backpack.
为什么?
Why?
因为我要看里面的东西 什么?
Because I wanna look inside it. – What?
打开,拿给我 不要吧
Open it up and give it to me. – Come on.
别想偷拿我家的东西 我不会的
You’re not taking anything out of here. – I wouldn’t.
你想找到可以发表的东西?
You’re hoping to find something you can publish?
当然,那你就可以畅行无阻了?
Sure. – Then you can write your own ticket?
什么? 不,我会用你♥爸♥的名义发表
What? No, it would be under your dad’s name, for your dad.
你背包里一定有鬼 什么…?
You have something in that backpack. – What…?
拿来 你有点妄想吧?
Give it to me! – Look, you’re being a little paranoid.
我妄想不表示你没有偷拿…
Just because I’m paranoid doesn’t mean there isn’t something in…
你自己说楼上什么都没有,不是吗?
You said yourself that there was nothing up there, didn’t you? Didn’t you?
对,那我又会偷拿什么呢?
Yes. – So what would I take, right?
你说得对
You’re right.
谢谢
Thank you.
搞什么…?
Oh, what the hell…?
这里又不是机场海关
This isn’t an airport.
你可以回来
You can come back.
你要不要做个健康检查?
The University Health Service is very good.
我没事
I’m fine.
运动也很有帮助
Also… exercise is great.
我一周会去湖边晨跑两次
I go running along the lake a couple mornings a week.
会让脑子清醒点,最近还不算太冷
It clears my head. It’s not too cold yet.
我可以来接你
If you wanted to, I could pick you up.
不用了,谢谢
No, thanks.
好吧,我演出要迟到了,我先走了
All right. Well, I’m gonna be late for the show. I’d better go.
晚安
Good night.
等等,你的外套没拿 不,你…
Wait. You forgot your jacket. – Oh, no, you…
我有妄想症?你觉得我该去慢跑?
I’m paranoid? You think I should go jogging?
稍安勿躁 给我滚!
Just hold on. – Get out. Get the hell out of my house!
听我说,我要让看你一段
Let me explain. I wanna show you something.
还给我 等等…
Give it back. – Wait…
我要报♥警♥ 什么?不要啦
I’m calling the police. – What? Don’t.
我只是借来看看
Look, I borrowed the book, all right?
你♥爸♥写的一段文字不是数学♥运♥算,是记述
‘Cause I found something your father wrote. Not math. Just something he wrote.
发生抢案了 把电♥话♥放下
I’d like to report a robbery. – Put the phone down.
抢案 是关于你的事
A robbery. – It’s about you.
抢匪在我家里 这是你的名字
He’s in the house right now! – Here’s your name.
我住4655号♥,南…“凯瑟琳”,看到没?
I’m at 4655 South… – “Catherine,” see? “Catherine.”
南…
South…
“今天很顺利,凯瑟琳有好消息”
“Not a bad day. Some good news from Catherine.”
我不知道是什么消息,我想你大概知道
I’m not sure what that meant. I thought you might.
这是什么时候写的?小姐?
When did he write this? – Ma’am?
三年前,“机器还无法运转,但前景乐观”
Three years ago. “Machinery’s not working yet, but there’s cause for optimism.”
他所谓的“机器”指的是他运算的能力
The machinery is what he called his mind, his ability to do mathematics.
我知道
I know.
“和学生聊天,在车上看书都有帮助”
“Talking with students helps, so does riding in buses.
“但主要得归功于凯瑟琳”
“Most of all Cathy.
“她拒绝把我扔进疗养院,坚持自己照顾我”
“Her refusal to let me be institutionalized, caring for me herself,
“救了我一命”
“has certainly saved my life.
“所以我才能写下这段文字”
“Made writing this possible.
“我才能想像自己再度钻研数学”
“Made it possible to imagine doing math again.
“她的力量从何而来?”
“Where does her strength come from?
“我不知该如何报答她,今天是她生日”
“I can never repay her. Today is her birthday.
“她24岁了,我要带她出去吃饭”
“She is 24. I’m taking her to dinner.”
你生日我们要怎么过?
So what are we going to do on your birthday?
爸…我们离开这个鬼地方
Dad… – Let’s get the hell out of this neighborhood.
去北区、中国城或希腊城 我不知什么好吃
Let’s go to the North side or Chinatown. Greektown. I don’t know what’s good.
爸?
Dad? – Hmm?
我要去上学了
I’m going to school.
什么时候?
When?
月底要去西北大学报到
I’m gonna start at Northwestern at the end of the month.
西北大学?
Northwestern?
我不该偷偷带走,我知道这很蠢
I shouldn’t have tried to sneak it out. I know it sounds stupid, but I was gonna wrap it.
但我本来想包装一下
生日快乐
Happy birthday.
芝加哥大学有什么不好?
What’s wrong with Chicago?
你还在那里教书
You still teach there.
我到你系上选课有点怪怪的
I’m sorry. That is too weird, me taking classes in your department.
开车去西北大学很远
It’s a long drive. – It’s not that long. It’s half an hour.
没那么远,半小时就到了
每天来回还是很累
Still, twice a day.

Dad.
我要搬到那里去
I’d live there.
你真的要住在艾文斯顿?
You’d actually want to live in Evanston?
那里并不远,我随时可以回家
I’d still be close. I can come home whenever you want.
听我说…
Look…
你这七个月来情况都很好
You’ve been well. You’ve been really well for almost seven months now.
不需要我时时刻刻陪在你身边
I don’t think you need me here every minute of the day.
什么事?是不是有人报♥警♥?
Yes? – Someone here call the police?
不,亲爱的
No, honey.
我们应该登记那组蓝盘子和咖啡色沙发
I think we should put the aqua plates on the registry and the brown couch.
你妈要送我们一组坚固耐用的家具
Your mother wants to buy us a substantial piece of furniture,
再大我们家就放不下了
and that’s the biggest thing that I could find that will fit in our apartment.
别担心,亲爱的,我明晚就回来了
Well, then, don’t worry about it, honey. I’ll be home by tomorrow night.
先熬过今天再说,等一下
Yeah, let’s just get through today first. Hold on a second.

Hi!
我不知道,她没有接我的电♥话♥
I don’t know. She didn’t pick up when I called.
希望比昨天好一点
Hopefully better than yesterday.
当务之急是逼她洗澡,再晒晒太阳
First thing I’m gonna do is throw her into the shower and get her out in the sun.
你这样好多了 谢谢

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!