接下来他发现
Next thing he knows,
警铃大作 他浑身是血
sirens are screaming, he’s covered in blood.
警♥察♥在铁路上找到了他
The cops find him in a train tunnel.
大主教的戒指在他口袋里
He’s got the Archbishop’s ring in his pocket.
他偷了大主教的戒指
He stole the Archbishop’s ring?
我没这么说 我是说在他口袋里
I didn’t say that. I said it was in his pocket.
完了吗
Is that it?
是的
Yep.
这…纯粹就是胡扯 马丁
That’s… That’s bullshit, Marty.
这是我这辈子
That’s the worst bullshit story
听过最扯的故事
I’ve ever heard in my entire life.
现在是我们最扯的故事了 好了 开工
Now it’s our bullshit story. Okay, let’s get to work.
这次游戏的题目就叫做动机
Now, the name of the game here is motive,
也就是说 被告没有动机
as in, the prosecution doesn’t have one.
所以我们要做的
So what we have to do here
就是证明别人可能杀了主教
is prove that someone else could have committed the crime.
之后我们就可以提出合理怀疑
Then we can establish reasonable doubt.
所以我要尽可能知道这家伙的一切
So I want to know everything I can about this guy,
他做过的所有事
everything he was into.
我们去翻数据库 档案馆 国税局库
We go to database, go to Hall of Records, IRS files.
-甚至是所谓的慈善 -所谓的
– Even his so-called charities. – So-called?
那家伙可是个神父
The guy was a priest, for Christ’s sake.
娜奥米 记一下 B32.156
Naomi, write this down. B-32.156.
这个被刻在大主教的胸口
That was carved into the Archbishop’s chest.
-被指控 -不是
– Allegedly. – No.
那是事实 但我欣赏你的努力 汤米
That was a fact, but I appreciate the effort, Tommy.
谢了
Thanks.
我还需要捅杀案
I also need case histories on murder by stabbing,
毁尸案和宗教杀人案的案件史
murder by mutilation, murder by religion.
-另外我还要找心理医生 -可不是嘛
– Also, I’m gonna need a psychiatrist. – You’re telling me.
我不要那种常年当证人的
And not the kind that lives in a witness box, either.
这次我需要个货真价实的
I need a real one this time,
还得熟悉健忘症
and someone who knows about amnesia.
-他真人看上去怎样 -那个屠夫男孩
– What does he look like in person? – The Butcher Boy?
像个童子军
Like a Boy Scout.
一个有雕刻勋章的童子军
A Boy Scout with a merit badge in carving.
大主教是肖尼西先生的密友
The Archbishop was a close personal friend of Mr. Shaughnessy.
他今天早些时候来找我
He came to me earlier this morning
询问我手下最好的人是谁
and asked me who was my best man,
-我说是你 -谢谢
– I said you. – Thank you.
肖尼西先生
I trust, Mr. Shaughnessy,
我相信如果这件案子由我来起诉
if I am to prosecute this case,
我会得到这项任务相应的权利
I’ll be given the authority which comes with the assignment.
你是负责这个案子的人
You’re the one trying the case,
但是我们先把一件事说明白
but let’s establish one thing at the outset.
我要他判死刑
I want the death penalty.
我想先浏览一下这个案子
I’d like an opportunity to go over the case
然后再做决定
before we make a determination
是否坚定将目标定为死刑
on whether or not to seek the death penalty.
珍妮特 我会聆听你的想法
I’m open to anything you have to say, Janet,
但我觉得这没有争辩的必要
but in my mind there’s no debate.
他们抓的那个男孩有没有说什么
Did he say anything, the boy they picked up?
说了 说不是他干的
Yeah. He didn’t do it.
这案子十拿九稳 珍妮特
It’s a slam dunk, Janet.
很抱歉 我很感激你们对我的信任
Excuse me. I appreciate your faith in me,
我也不想跟二位争论什么
and I don’t mean to be argumentative…
我们给你开支就是为这个
Hey, that’s what we pay you for.
但如果这案子像您说的一样万无一失
…but if it’s as open and shut as you say it is,
那您就不需要我了
then you don’t need me.
警♥察♥局会不予辩驳
The P.D. will plead no contest,
直接把那孩子丢给法庭处理
throw the kid on the mercy of the court.
他没找公设辩护人
There’s not a public defender.
他已经找到律师了吗 谁啊
He’s got a lawyer already? Who?
我是马丁·韦尔
Hey, I’m Martin Vail.
艾伦·斯坦普勒的辩护律师
I’m defending Aaron Stampler.
-我要检查凶杀现场 -屠夫男孩吗
– I need to inspect the murder site. – The Butcher Boy?
谢谢 没错 我都忘了他真名
Thank you. Yes. I forgot his real name.
怎么了 马丁 失去信仰了吗
What’s the matter, Marty? Lost your faith?
想找点信仰来皈依吗
Looking for a little religion?
你说说看 律师
Now tell me, Counselor,
我们俩谁才是为了上头条而接活
which one of us is the true headline-chaser here?
不像你 我是被分配到这案子来的
Unlike you, I was assigned to this case.
是吗 觉得你能胜任吗
Yeah? Think you’re up to it?
你是把版权卖♥♥了吗 还是打算再等等
Sell the book rights yet, or are you gonna wait a while?
想看看照片吗
Want to see some pictures?
来吧 还挺有意思的
Come on. They’re kind of cute.
我觉得你也同意
I think you’ll agree
照片清楚显示出这案子极其令人发指
they clearly show the heinous nature of the crime.
提点小建议
A small piece of advice,
别在法庭上用”令人发指”这词
don’t use the word “Heinous” in a courtroom.
陪审团会有一半不知道你在说什么
Half the jury won’t know what you’re talking about.
我也提点小建议
One small piece of advice,
我不再是你的副手了
I’m not sitting second chair to you anymore.
以防你没注意到 我毕业了
In case you hadn’t noticed, I graduated.
-我没理由退出 -你有的是理由退出
– I had no reason to leave. – You had every reason to leave.
你怎么还能为他们干活
How can you still work for them?
怎么 你真指望我跟你离开吗 马丁
What? You really expect me to trot out after you, Marty?
就因为你离开 我也得辞职吗
Quit, just because you did?
我又不要什么豪车
I don’t need a Mercedes.
我也不想出现在晚间新闻里
I don’t need to see my face on the evening news.
你知道我要来 对吧
You knew I was coming here, didn’t you?
你知道我会为他辩护 所以你才接手
You knew I would defend him. That’s why you took the case.
是你跟肖尼西要求的 对吧
You asked Shaughnessy for this, didn’t you?
得了吧
Oh, please.
怎么了 马丁 你紧张了吗
What’s the matter, Marty, you nervous?
是不是有段时间没对付聪明女人了
Been a while since you rubbed up against a woman with a brain?
怎么 你累了吗 睡得不好吗
What is the matter? You tired? You haven’t been sleeping well?
是你要秋后算账 马丁
You’re the one with the score to settle, Marty.
我晚上睡得很香
I sleep great at night.
-你好 -你好
– Hi. – Hey.
库克县管教部第九分局最高安全住宿区
谢谢
Thanks.
-他在哪里 -这边
– Hey. Where is he? – Over here.
我们会一起坐在桌边
All right, we’ll be sitting at a table together,
还有我的两个同事
along with two of my associates.
只要一读完指控
Now, once the charges are read,
法官就会问你是否认罪
the judge is gonna ask you how you plead.
-无罪 -不对
– Not guilty. – No.
但我确实无罪 韦尔先生
But I’m not guilty, Mr. Vail.
我不在乎 这不重要
I don’t care. It doesn’t matter.
你把嘴闭上就行 什么都别说
You can keep your mouth shut. You don’t say anything.
你要告诉大家我无罪
Well, you’re going to say I’m not guilty.
该说什么我会说的 你不用担心
I’ll say whatever I say. You don’t have to worry about it.
-但是 韦尔先生 -我就是这意思
– But, Mr. Vail… – This is exactly what I’m talking about.
法庭上不能这样
This can’t go on in the courtroom,
所以你最好现在就习惯一下
so you might as well get used to it now.
我说话 你别说话
I speak. You do not speak.
你要干的就是坐在那里表现得无辜一点
Your job is just to sit there and look innocent.
我本来就是无辜的
Well, I am innocent.
没错 我就想让你看上去是这样
That’s it! That’s exactly how I want you to look.
就这样 你能记住吗
That’s exactly it. Now, can you remember that?
需要的话就看看镜子 就是这样子
Look in the mirror if you have to. That’s the look.
我不用看 我一直这样子
I don’t have to. This is how I always look.
那这场比赛你已经领先了 不是吗
Well, then you’re way ahead of the game already, aren’t you?
别笑
Don’t smile.
千万别
Don’t.
韦尔先生 可以说几句吗
Mr. Vail, can we have a statement?
不 我们要找出发生了什么
No. We’re gonna find out what happened here.
你如何能面对这么大的公众压力
How can you defend Aaron Stampler
为艾伦·斯坦普勒辩护
in the face of all this public pressure?
真正的压力是找出真♥相♥