Lizzie, lend me some money.
伊丽莎白 借我点钱
You already owe me a fortune.
你欠我的还没还呢
Allow me to oblige.
请允许我帮个小忙
No, Mr Wickham, please…
不 韦翰先生 不要…
I insist.
我坚持
I pity the French. So do l.
我真同情那个法国人 我也是
Look, Mr Bingley. Mr Bingley!
瞧 彬格莱先生 彬格莱先生!
I was just on my way to your house.
我正准备去你们家
How do you like my ribbons for your ball?
你喜欢我特地为你的舞会准备的丝带吗?
Very beautiful.
非常漂亮
She is. Look, she’s blooming.
确实 瞧 她是那么的光彩照人
Oh, Lydia.
丽迪雅
Be sure to invite Mr Wickham. He is a credit to his profession.
一定要邀请韦翰先生 他是个诚实可靠的人
You can’t invite people to other people’s balls.
你不能邀请人去别人的舞会
Of course, you must come, Mr Wickham.
当然 你一定要来 韦翰先生
If you’ll excuse me, ladies, enjoy the day.
失陪了 小姐们 祝你们过得愉快
Do you plan to go to the Netherfield ball, Mr Wickham?
你打算去尼日斐的舞会吗 韦翰先生?
Perhaps. How long has Mr Darcy been a guest there?
也许会去 达西先生在这里做客多久了?
About a month.
大概1个月了
Forgive me, but are you acquainted with him, with Mr Darcy?
请原谅我的冒昧 你和达西先生很熟吗?
Indeed, I’ve been connected with his family since infancy.
实际上 我从小就和他家里有特别的关系
You may well be surprised, given our cold greeting this afternoon.
你一定很惊讶 下午我们见面时那冷冰冰的样子
I hope your plans in favour of Meryton will not be affected
你既然有意在麦里屯发展 希望你不要
by your relations with the gentleman.
因为你和这位绅士的关系而影响你原来的计划
It is not for me to be driven away.
我才不会让达西先生赶走呢
If he wishes to avoid seeing me, he must go, not l.
要是他不愿意看到我 那该走的是他 而不是我
I must ask, what is the manner of your disapproval of Mr Darcy?
我一定要问问 达西先生的什么行为让你如此不快
My father managed his estate.
我父亲是他家的管家
We grew up together, Darcy and I.
达西和我从小一起长大
His father treated me like a second son,
他的父亲对待我就好像亲儿子一样
loved me like a son.
像疼爱儿子一样的疼爱我
We were both with him the day he died.
他父亲去世的那天 我们一起
With his last breath,
守在他的床前到最后一刻
his father bequeathed me the rectory in his estate.
他父亲的遗嘱上说明把教区牧师职位给我
He knew I had my heart set on joining the Church.
他早就知道我一心想加入教会
But Darcy ignored his wishes
但是达西无视他父亲的遗愿
and gave the living to another man.
把那个牧师职位给了别人
But why? Jealousy.
但为什么呢? 嫉妒
His father…
他的父亲…
Well, he loved me better and Darcy couldn’t stand it.
唔 他的父亲疼爱我甚过他 达西无法容忍
How cruel.
多么残酷阿
So now I’m a poor foot soldier.
所以到现在我还是个一贫如洗的士兵
Too lowly even to be noticed.
低微得引不起任何人的注意
Breathe in! I can’t anymore. You’re hurting.
摒住呼吸 我不行了 你弄疼我了
Betsy.
伊丽莎白
Betsy!
伊丽莎白!
There must’ve been a misunderstanding.
那一定是个误会
Jane, you never think ill of anybody.
吉英 你从来都不把人往坏处想
How could Mr Darcy do such a thing?
达西先生怎么会做出那样的事情?
I will discover the truth from Mr Bingley this evening.
今天晚上我就问问彬格莱先生事情的真相
Let Mr Darcy contradict it himself.
让达西先生自己来辩驳
Till he does, I hope never to encounter him.
除非他解释得通 不然我但愿永远不再见到他
Poor, unfortunate, Mr Wickham.
可怜 不幸的 韦翰先生
Wickham is twice the man Darcy is.
韦翰比达西更像男子汉
And, let us hope, a rather more willing dancer.
但愿他也是个更乐于跳舞的人
There they are, look.
他们在那 瞧
Oh, yes. Billy.
噢 是的 比利
Jane, Martin is here.
吉英 马丁在这里
May I say what an immense pleasure it is to see you again.
能再次见到你真是无比的荣幸
Mrs Bennet. Miss Bingley.
班纳特太太 彬格莱小姐
Charming.
真迷人
I’m so pleased you’re here.
我很高兴你能来
So am I.
我也是
And how are you? Miss Elizabeth? Are you looking for someone?
你还好吗? 伊丽莎白小姐? 你在找人吗?
No, not at all, I was just admiring the general splendour.
不 不是 我只是惊叹这里如此光彩壮丽
It is breathtaking, Mr Bingley. Good.
令人叹为观止 彬格莱先生 太好了
You might have passed a few pleasantries with Mr Bingley.
你也许已经和彬格莱先生打趣过了
I’ve never met a more pleasant gentleman in all my years.
我一生从没见过这么令人愉快的绅士
Did you see how he dotes on her?
你看到他多么喜爱她吗?
Dear Jane, always doing what’s best for her family.
亲爱的吉英 总是为家人打算
Charlotte! Lizzie!
夏洛特! 伊丽莎白!
Have you seen Mr Wickham?
你有看到韦翰先生吗?
No. Perhaps he’s through here.
没有 可能他来过这
Lizzie, Mr Wickham is not here.
伊丽莎白 韦翰先生不在这
Apparently, he’s been detained.
显然 他被事情耽误了
Detained where? He must be here.
在哪耽误? 他一定在这
There you are. Mr Collins.
你在这啊 柯林斯先生
Perhaps you will do me the honour, Miss Elizabeth.
你能赏脸和我跳舞吗? 伊丽莎白小姐
Oh, I did not think you danced, Mr Collins.
噢 我没想到你会跳舞 柯林斯先生
I do not think it incompatible with the office of a clergyman.
我认为这和牧师的职责不相违背
Several people, her Ladyship included, have complimented me
相反 有些人 包括贵妇人们在内都称赞
on my lightness of foot.
我轻盈的舞步呢
Apparently, your Mr Wickham has been called on some business to town.
显然 你的韦翰先生有事上城里去了
Dancing is of little consequence to me, but it does…
跳舞对我来说影响不大 但是…
but it does afford the opportunity to lavish…
它为慷慨给予了机会… …
upon one’s partner attentions…
…取决于舞伴的注意力… …
My informer tells me…
有人告诉我…
that he would be less inclined to be engaged, were it not for…
韦翰先生要不是为了要回避这儿的某一位先生
the presence of a certain gentleman.
决不会这么凑巧 偏偏这个时候因事缺席 …
Which is my primary object.
谁是我的第一舞伴
That gentleman barely warrants the name.
不用说也知道那位绅士是谁
It is my intention, if I may be so bold,
请恕我冒昧 我是有意为之
to remain close to you throughout the evening.
整晚与你保持亲密
May I have the next dance, Miss Elizabeth?
我能和你跳下一支舞吗? 伊丽莎白小姐
You may.
可以
Did I agree to dance with Mr Darcy?
我居然同意和达西先生跳舞了?
I dare say you will find him amiable.
你将来一定会发觉他很讨人喜欢的
It would be most inconvenient since I’ve sworn to loathe him for all eternity.
那一定非常难 因为我发誓一辈子讨厌他
I love this dance. Indeed. Most invigorating.
我爱这支舞曲 确实 非常令人鼓舞
It is your turn to say something, Mr Darcy.
现在该轮到你说点什么啦 达西先生
I talked about the dance.
我既然谈了舞曲
Now you ought to remark on the size of the room or the number of couples.
你就得谈谈舞池的大小以及有多少舞伴之类的问题
I’m perfectly happy to oblige. What would you like most to hear?
乐意遵命 你最想听什么?
That reply will do for present.
这个回答眼前也说得过去了
Perhaps by and by I may observe
待一会我或许会谈到
that private balls are much pleasanter than public ones.
私人舞会比公共场所的舞会更好
For now, we may remain silent.
不过 我们现在可以不必作声了
Do you talk as a rule while dancing?
那么说 你跳起舞来照例总得要谈上几句吗?
No. No, I prefer to be unsociable and taciturn.
不 不 我更喜欢不爱交际和沉默
Makes it all so much more enjoyable, don’t you think?
这样会让别人更愉快 你不觉得吗?
Tell me, do you and your sisters very often walk to Meryton?
告诉我 你和你的姐妹们经常上麦里屯溜达吗?
Yes, we often walk to Meryton.
是的 我们常常去
It’s a great opportunity to meet new people.
那是结识新朋友的好机会
When you met us,
你那天在那儿碰到我们的时候
we’d just had the pleasure of forming a new acquaintance.
我们正在结交一个新朋友呢
Mr Wickham’s blessed with such happy manners, he’s sure of making friends.
韦翰先生生来满面春风 交起朋友来得心应手
Whether he’s capable of retaining them is less so.
至于他是不是能和朋友们长久相处 那就未必了
He’s been so unfortunate as to lose your friendship. That is irreversible?
他真不幸 竟失去了您的友谊 不可挽回了吗?
It is. Why do you ask such a question?
是的 你问我这些话用意何在?
To make out your character.
只不过为了要了解了解你的性格罢了
What have you discovered?
那么你究竟弄明白了没有?
Very little.
我一点儿也弄不明白
I hear such different accounts of you
我听到人家对于你的看法并不一致
as puzzle me exceedingly.
叫我不知道相信谁的话才好
I hope to afford you more clarity in the future.
我希望将来我能让你对我有更清晰的认识
Is that Mr Darcy of Pemberley?
那是彭伯里庄园的达西先生吗?
I believe so.
我想是的
I must make myself known to him.
我一定要向达西先生自我介绍
He’s a nephew of my patroness, Lady Catherine.
他是我的女资助人凯瑟琳夫人的侄儿
He will consider it an impertinence.
他会认为那是很冒失的行为