This urine from the Pope is only an hour old.
能告诉我们你能从中看出什么吗?
Would you care to tell us what you can read in it?
太神奇了!我们的圣父要生孩子了
It’s a miracle! Our Holy Father will give birth to a child.
埃诺迪斯!你给他的是孕妇的尿液?
Enodius! You gave him a pregnant woman’s urine?
我必须确保教皇不会落入骗子之手
I had to be sure that Pope is not falling into the hands of a charlatan.
他和其他人一样都是骗子,我不信任他们
He is a charlatan. Just like all the others. I don’t trust them.
我是阿纳斯塔休斯,教皇宣召侍从
I’m Anastasius, Papal Nomenclator.
我请你过来是想听听你对教皇病情有什么看法
I sent for you to hear your opinion on the Pope’s condition.
你已经名声在外
Your reputation precedes you.
我们的父亲,祢在天堂。愿人都尊你的名字…(拉丁文念经中)
Pater Noster, qui es in caelis: Sanctificetur nomen tuum…
啊!好痛!我… 我再也承受不了了!
Ah! That pain! I… can bear it no longer!
瓦尔迪柏特!拿酒来!
Waldipert! More wine!
还要!
More!
圣父
Holy Father.
这是 约翰尼斯.安格利库斯 一位赫赫有名的治疗师
This is Johannes Anglicus, a healer with great renown.
另外一个医生!和他们一起下地狱吧!我的酒在哪?
Another doctor! To hell with him! Where is that wine?
– 没有酒!拿水来! – 我要酒!
– No wine! Bring water! – I want wine!
原谅我,圣父
Forgive me, Holy Father.
至少… 这一位下手不像… 屠夫!
At least… this one does not have the hands of a… butcher!
再放血会杀了他,你能阻止这种事再次发生吗?
Another blood-letting could kill him. Will you prevent this from happening again?
你要给他什么?
What’re you giving him?
教皇陛下患的是痛风
His Holiness suffers from gout.
这种疾病在我们国家很普遍
The sickness is widespread in my country.
他表现出的所有症状都与 希波克拉底 的描述吻合
He shows all the symptoms as described by Hippocrates.
上帝永远也不会允许用这种异教学说治疗教皇
God would never allow such heathen teachings to cure the Pope.
继续
Continue.
我要给他秋水仙根和草完隆来帮他入睡
I’m giving him root of colchicum and herban to help him sleep.
很快就不那么痛了
The worst pain should be over soon.

Good.
把它喝了
Drink this.
教皇陛下需要休息
His Holiness needs rest.
毫无疑问上帝仍然能够听到修士们的祈祷…
Surely God can still hear our brothers’ prayers…
即使他们是在走廊里祷告
if they are spoken in the hallway.
他年老体弱,阿欧。他不会活着看到下一个冬天了
He’s old and weak, Aio. He won’t live to see another winter.
确实很诱人,但你只要了一个小数目
It is tempting indeed. But you’re asking for only a small sum.
有何不可?哪天可能我需要,比如说,你对罗马人的影响力
Why not? Should I one day need, say, your influence with the people of Rome.
我也许会要你投桃报李
I may ask you for return of this favor.
但如果教皇拒绝任命我当主教呢?
But what if the Pope refuses to make me a bishop?
放心吧,阿欧,教皇已经很久不自己做决定了
Rest with it, Aio. Papal decisions have not been made by the Pope for a long time.
– 您感觉怎么样? – 不痛了
– How do you feel? – The pain is gone.
不痛了!
The pains… are gone!
我感觉如同重获新生。我饿了!
I feel new-born. And I’m hungry!
– 给我拿酒来! – 绝对不行!
– Bring me some wine! – Absolutely not!
一盘蔬菜还有一壶水
A plate of vegetables and a jug of water.
肯定是魔鬼派你来的
The devil must have sent you.
我不会让您用一顿饭毁了一个星期的治疗
I will not permit you to undo a week of recovery with a single meal.
什么?整整一个星期?
What? An entire week?
约翰尼斯.安格利库斯 从未离您左右,陛下
Johannes Anglicus never left your side, Holiness.
如果是这样那肯定是上帝派你来的
Then it must have been God who sent you.
我怎么感谢你的服侍呢,约翰尼斯.安格利库斯?
How can I thank you for your services, Johannes Anglicus?
允许我回来并且负责您的康复
Allow me to return and see to your recovery.
不,我希望你留在这里
No, I wish for you to remain here.
你身上有些与众不同的东西,是这个围墙里所没有的
There’s something unusual about you, something missing from these walls.
如果您希望这样,陛下,那我就是您卑微的仆人
If your wish it, Holiness, I’m your humble servant.
那就这么定了
Then it is settled.
陛下,教庭正在开会
Holiness, the Papal Court is meeting.
您要去主持吗
Would you care to preside.
得了,阿瑞斯,阿纳斯塔休斯主持这些会议
Please, Arighis, Anastasius has been leading
已经很久了
these meetings for quite some time now.
恕我直言,圣父
Forgive me, Holy Father,
人♥民♥并没有选 阿纳斯塔休斯 做他们的最高领导人
but the people did not choose Anastasius as their supreme shepherd.
他们选择的是您,而且您是不是刚刚还说感觉重获新生?
They chose you. And didn’t you just say you felt new-born?
我说了吗?
Did I?
这是一个征兆
It would be a sign.
这要用多长时间,马莫特斯?
And how long would this take, Mamertus?
工程可以在年底完成
Construction could be completed by year’s end.
罗马最好的工匠正在为我们施工
I’ve secured the services of the best craftsmen in Rome.
工程造价多少?
And how expensive is this undertaking?
有教皇的支持,造价是…
With the Pope’s support, it would…
教皇陛下,这明智吗?
Your Holiness, is this wise?
您不应仅仅为了监督会议而忽视复元中的身体
You should not put your recuperation at risk just to observe this meeting.
宣召侍从,你能为我的健康忧虑是你的荣耀
Your concern for my health does you honor, Nomenclator.
然而,我感觉非常好,谢谢
However, I am feeling quite well, thank you.
而且我来这里不只是为了监督,而是来主持会议
And I’m here not just to observe. I am here to preside.
听您这样说我如同整个罗马一样为您感到高兴
I rejoice to hear it, as does all Rome.
嗯,继续
Well, proceed.
圣父,我请求准许…
Holy Father, I was requesting permission…
将旧孤儿院重建成朝圣者旅馆
to rebuild the old orphanage into a hostelry for pilgrims.
那孤儿怎么办?
And what would become of the orphans?
贫民收♥容♥所♥可以收留他们
There are poor houses that can take them.
这个旅馆将会成为罗马的骄傲
This hostelry will be the pride of Rome.
伯爵,公爵,甚至国王都将试图呆在那里
Counts, dukes, even kings will seek to stay there.
上帝对孤儿和国王一视同仁
Orphans are no less dear to God than kings.
你的请求被否决了,马莫特斯
Your request is denied, Mamertus.
我已经同宣召侍从达成协议
I’ve already made a deal with the Nomenclator.
我们有非正式协议,而且钱已经支付了
We have an arrangement, and payment has already been made.
支付了?
Payment?
嗯,圣父,为了有助于工程顺利完成…
Well, Holy Father, Mamertus offered a generous donation to the Church…
马莫特斯 向教会提供了一笔慷慨的捐赠
in order to expedite the success of his undertaking.
啊!仁慈的人有福了,因为他们必得怜悯
Ah! Blessed are all the merciful, for they shall find mercy.
我们感谢你慷慨的捐赠,马莫特斯
We thank you for your generous donation, Mamertus.
这些捐赠将用于帮助孤儿,上帝会回报你的
It will be used to help the orphans. God will repay you.
下一项
Next.
告诉我一些你的事,约翰尼斯
Tell me about yourself, Johannes.
你来自法兰克尼亚,可是你被称为“安格利库斯”(英国人)
You come from Franconia, yet you are called “Anglicus”.
我父亲来自大不列颠,到撒克逊传教
My father came from Britannia to preach God’s word to the Saxons.
哦,撒克逊人,一群不敬神的人!
Ah, the Saxons. A godless people!
现在大部分已经成为基♥督♥徒了…
Most are Christians now…
和在火与剑胁迫下入教的人一样多
as much as any can be who are brought to the faith with fire and sword.
转化异教♥徒♥是教会的职责
It is the Church’s duty to convert the heathens.
武力胁迫下的誓言有什么价值呢?
What value has any pledge exacted by force?
然而基♥督♥命令我们在地球上的所有种族中…
Yet Christ commands us to spread God’s word…
传播上帝的福音并给他的子民施洗礼
among all the races of the earth and baptize His people.
但是… 考虑到诫命的次序
But… consider the order of the commandment.
首先,教化人♥民♥,然后对他们施以洗礼
First, teach the people, then baptize them.
我们怎么能 在他们把信仰根植于心之前 对其施以洗礼圣典呢?
How could we offer the sacrament of baptism before faith is lodged in the heart?
你很会讲道理
You reason well.
你在哪受的教育?
Where were you educated?
一位名叫 埃斯枯拉庇乌斯 的希腊校长教的我
A Greek schoolmaster, by the name of Aesculapius, taught me.
然后我到多施塔特的经院学习,之后进了位于富尔达的修道院
Then I went to the Schola in Dorstadt, and later I joined the brotherhood at Fulda.
富尔达,那里的院长最近送我一部精美的赞美诗,哦…
Fulda. The Abbot recently presented me with a beautiful psalm, Ah…
答谢他的时候,我要提及你精湛的医术
When I thank him, I shall mention your skilled service.
– 恐怕他不会说我的好话 – 为什么?
– I fear he would not speak well of me. – Why is that?
他认为顺从是信徒最重要的誓约
He holds obedience be the greatest of all religious vows.
然而对我来说这却是最难做到的
Yet to me it has always come the hardest.
是这样吗?
Is that so?
那其它誓约呢?
What about the other vows?
我出身贫寒并且习惯于贫寒
I was born into poverty and am accustomed to it.
那么贞洁呢?
What about chastity?
我一向经得住女人的诱惑
I have always resisted the temptations of women.
听你这么说我很高兴
I’m glad to hear it.
埃诺迪斯被驱逐出宫殿后不久
Soon after Enodius was expelled from the Palace,
瑟吉厄斯 任命 约翰娜 做他的私人医师
and Sergius made Johanna his personal physician.
在做政♥治♥决策时也会听取她的意见
He included her in political decisions as well.
几年之后 ,约翰娜成为了教皇最信任的心腹之一
Over the next few years, Johanna became one of the Pope’s most trusted confidants.
尼斯福鲁斯会成为一个好的主教,陛下
Nicephorus would make a good bishop, Holiness.
是吗?
Yes?
他不是罗马人,所以很多人会反对任命他
He is not Roman, so many will be opposed to his appointment,
但他是一个圣人并且他会忠实于你
but he is a man of God and will remain true to you.
那就这样吧,今天我要…
So it will be. Today I shall…
圣父!主教们有急事求见

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!