这是用希腊文抒写的,但是… 我不明白这些图是什么意思
They are writings in Greek. But… I don’t understand the drawings.
可能是某种结构图,你能翻译吗?
Probably some sort of construction plan. Can you translate?
它看起来像一个滑轮,但不是用手操作的那种
It looks like a pulley, but not one you use with your hands.
也许我们能一起… 造一个
Maybe we could build it… together.
我发现你们很识货
I see you have an eye for a bargain.
纸可能有点旧,但仍然能用
The paper might be old, but it can still be put to use.
来!来!
Come! Come!
运转起来了!运转起来了!
It works! It works!
你是否仍然认为经院接收约翰娜是一种罪过?
Do you still think it was a sin to accept Johanna to the Schola?
你们应该以这个女孩为榜样!她的功课非常完美
You should take this girl as a model! Her work is perfect.
七年之后
Seven years later
什么事让你烦恼?
What is troubling you?
北欧人正在深入我们的土地
The Norsemen are pushing deeper and deeper into our land.
但你确定我们这里是安全的吗?
But surely we are safe here?
他们已经攻下巴黎了
They’ve even taken Paris.
皇帝正在召集军队
The Emperor is assembling troops.
– 你要去…打仗? – 是的,过几天就出发
– You are going away… to war? – Yes, in a few days.
别再想不开心的事了,来,给你看样东西
No more dark thought. Come, want to show you something.
是什么?
What is it?
别动,就呆在那儿
Don’t move. Just Stay there.
现在 看这个
Now watch this.
– 那个希腊装置 – 是的
– The Greek apparatus. – Yes.
只是更大了!
Only bigger!
看这个!
Look at this!
能再给我看一次吗?
Can you show it again?
好吧,我们得从小溪里再取些水来
Well, we have to get more water from the stream.
水桶在哪?
Where are the buckets?
我要把你所有的技能都告诉主教
I’m going to tell the Bishop all about your skill.
他会任命你做城市的首席建造师…
He will name you chief constructor of the city…
并且免除你对皇帝应尽的职责
and free you from your duties to the Emperor.
那样你就不用去打仗了,你说怎么样?
Then you will not have to go to war. What do you say to that?
怎么了,聪明的阿基米德?怎么突然不说话了?
What’s wrong, wise Archimedes? Suddenly so speechless?
原谅我,在我还有自♥制♥力之前我应该带你回家
Forgive me. I should take you home as long as I have the will power.
相信我,这样比较好
Trust me, It’s better this way.
你做的很好 校长,谢谢
You’ve done well schoolmaster, I thank you.
等我丈夫离家北上,我会马上处理这个恼人的问题
As soon as my husband leaves to the North I will deal with this annoying problem.
我绝不会再允许这个小丫头 当着全城人的面
I will not allow this little nobody to embarrass me
让我难堪
in front of the entire city.
你意识到主教一直在保护这个女孩吗?
Your are aware that the Bishop holds his protective hand over the girl?
不会太久了,校长,不会太久了
Not for long, Schoolmaster, not for long.
你会强迫这个女孩嫁给她不喜欢的人吗?
You would force the girl to marry against her will?
你丈夫对这事怎么看?
What does your husband say about the matter?
他不知道,格罗尔德的感情影响了他的判断力
He does not know. Gerold’s feeling clouds his judgment.
等约翰娜结婚之后 ,她就不会被允许去经院学习了
Once Johanna married, she will no longer be allowed to attend the Schola.
这就是我来这里征得您同意的原因
That is why I’m here to ask your consent.
明白了
I see.
这些年来,她吃我家的,穿我家的
For many years, she has been fed and clothed by my family.
这样的施舍我们还要提供多久?
How long must we provide such charity?
铁匠的儿子是个不错的选择
The blacksmith’s son is a good match.
他很迟钝 还不识字
He is blunt and illiterate.
我能提醒您吗,约翰娜在我的监护之下
May I remind you that Johanna was put in my custody.
作为 维拉雷斯 的女主人 我有权利和责任安排她的未来
As the Lady of Villaris I have the right and the duty to arrange her future.
– 你想让我写封信吗,夫人? – 如果能写的话我就自己写了
– You want me to scribe a letter, my Lady? – I would do it myself if I could.
但作为一位高贵的女士,读和写都应该是下人做的事
But as a noble lady reading and writing are beneath me.
你要把信寄给谁?
To whom would you like the letter addressed?
寄给你父亲
To your father.
恩,尊敬的先生
Well, Reverend Sir,
我写信告知你关于你女儿 约翰娜的婚约之事
I write to inform you of the betrothal of your daughter Johanna.
婚约?
betrothal?
你不能这么做
You cannot do that.
– 这已经决定了 – 但是…
– It has already been decided. – but…
格罗尔德 已经告诉我在河边发生的事了
Gerold’s told me what happened down by the river,
我们为此大笑不止
and we have a good laugh over it.
这不可能
It can’t be.
把你嫁出去是他的主意,傻瓜
Marrying you off is his idea, silly goose.
相信我,这已经不是第一次了
This was not the first time, believe me.
格罗尔德 玩这个游戏已经很多年了,我已经习以为常了
Gerold has been playing this game for years. I have got used to it.
格罗尔德 是个骑士,他需要去征服
Gerold is a knight. He needs to conquer.
现在,你终于明白了?
Well now, you finally see?
那么…继续写信吧
So… to get on with the letter.
我恨你,你带我来这里
I hate you. You took me into coming here.
– 我不该听你的 – 你什么意思?
– I never should have listen. – What do you mean?
因为你我才被允许进经院,现在我也不得不离开了
I was only allowed to attend the Schola because of you. Now I have to leave too.
但现在你可以如愿以偿去参军啊
But now you can become a soldier like you always want it.
你错了!
You’re wrong!
你记得我们离家那天父亲给我的信吗?
Do you remember the letter father gave me on the day we left?
主教让我看了那封信,而且打算遵从父亲的意愿
The Bishop gave it back to me, and he intends to obey father’s will.
如果我学无建树,他们就要送我去富尔达的修道院!
If I don’t succeed at school, they’ll have to send me to the monastery at Fulda!
我宁可死也不想去那里!
I’d rather die!
你来这里就是要告诉我…
You came here to tell me that…
我要告诉你的是 你带给我的只有麻烦
I tell you that you brought me nothing but trouble.
你总是要与众不同,为此不惜代价
You always have to be different, no matter the price.
你不得不去学习读书和写字,即使这是反常的
You had to learn to read and write, even though this is unnatural.
我真希望你从来没出生过!
I wish you’ve never been born!
秉持上帝的旨意!而不敢擅入…
Behold the word of God! And dare not enter…
回家吧
Home.
富尔达 修道院
三年之后…
3 years later…
约翰尼斯.安格利库斯(Anglicus是拉丁文,即“英国人”)
Johannes Anglicus.
因为她父亲是英国人
Since her father was an Englishman,
当她被富尔达修道院接受的时候…
the Abbot chose this monastic name for Johanna…
修道院院长给 约翰娜 选择了这个名字
when she was accepted by the brotherhood at Fulda.
多年来,她一直保守着她的秘密
For years she was able to keep her secret.
所有的教友都把她当作…一个年轻男人
And all the brothers took her to be… a young man.
折服于她的语言能力,修道院院长安排 约翰娜 翻译…
Impressed by her linguistic ability, the Abbot assigned Johanna the task…
希腊医学手稿
of translating the collection of Greek manuscripts on medicine.
她因而有机会研读 希波克拉底 和其他学者的著作
Thus she was able to study the works of Hippocrates and other scholars.
约翰娜也没有忘记母亲教给她的草药方面的知识
Johanna had retained her mother’s knowledge of healing plants and herbs.
修道院的医师 本杰明兄弟 对她印象深刻
And she so impressed Brother Benjamin, the monastery’s medicast,
于是收她为徒
that he made her his pupil.
作为一个女人,她的智慧和她对知识的渴求…
As a woman, her intelligence and her thirst for knowledge…
带给她幻想和满足
had brought her delusion and content.
正是由于这些品质使约翰娜在修道院得称赞和奖励
Here in the monastery Johanna was praised and rewarded for this very same qualities.
然而约翰娜不断意识到她每天面临的…危险
Yet Johanna was constantly aware of the danger she faced… everyday.
约翰尼斯兄弟?
Brother Johannes?
你受伤了吗?
Are you wounded?
就一个小伤口,没什么
A small cut. Nothing more.
约翰娜知道暴露就意味着死亡
Johanna knew that exposure meant certain death.
令她倍感痛苦的是教士会的诵读时间
She suffered most during the reading of chapters.
如果某个修士发现了她的秘密,亦或仅仅是持有某种怀疑
If a brother had found her out or merely harbored the suspicion,
她就会在这里听到
she would hear about it there.
修士们,在讨论修道院生活的世俗问题之前
Brothers, before we discuss the temporal concerns of our monastic life,
– 有任何罪过要忏悔吗? – 有,神父
– are there any transgressions to confess? – Yes, father.
你犯了什么罪过,泰多兄弟?
What offence have you committed, Brother Thedo?
我在缮写室工作时睡着了
I fell asleep while working in this scriptorium.
再一次?
Again?
我没有优点而且有罪,神父
I am unworthy and sinful, Father.
请给予我最严厉的惩罚
Please bring the harshest of punishments upon my head.
罚你三天不许吃饭
For three days you will not be allowed at meals.
您太仁慈了,神父
You’re too lenient, Father.
鉴于我所犯罪过的严重程度
In light of the severity of my transgressions,
我请求您 把对我的惩罚延长到一周
I beg you to extend it to a week.
上帝不欣赏傲慢,泰多兄弟,即使在痛苦中也不行
God does not appreciate pride, Brother Thedo, not even in suffering.
还有谁要忏悔自己的缺点
Does anyone else have any shortcomings to confess,
或者任何对他人的行为不检?
or any misconduct to the brethren?
这使我不安,但我必须报告这一可怕的罪行…
It upsets me, but I must report that a terrible sin…
它就发生在这高高的院墙内
has been committed within these very walls.
一宗最令人发指的罪行!
A most heinous crime!
罪人还不自己站出来吗?
Will the sinner not come forward?
这个修士想要偷偷离开修道院
This brother intends to secretly leave the monastery,
因此打破了他向上帝许下的神圣誓言

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!