– It’ll break for you. – When?
杰克逊,我刚刚参加了一个现代艺术圆桌会议,
Jackson, I just took part in a round table on modern art,
《生活》杂♥志♥主办的,看在上帝的份上。
held by Life magazine, for God’s sake.
美国已经成为西方文明的中心。
America has become the center of Western civilization.
你所做的是这个国家最具原创性和活力的艺术。
And what you’re doing is the most original and vigorous art in the country.
其他评论家迟早会意识到。你只要坚持下去。
The rest of the critics will catch on. You just keep at it.
我一直在坚持。别跟我谈什么坚持。我一直在坚持。
I’m keepin’ at it. Don’t tell me to keep at it. I’m keepin’ at it.
– 加注。 – 好的。
– Ante up. – All right.
手放哪儿呢?
Where’s your hand?
克莱姆捋了捋你的毛?
Did Clem rustle your feathers?
– 我爱所有的女人! – 你放开他!
– I love all women! – You get off him!
离他远点儿!
Get off him!
他能照顾好自己。
He can take care of himself.
– 这是我家,你明白吗? – 疯婆子。
– This is my house, do you understand? – Crazy bitch.
这是我家!
This is my house!
好吧。
Okay.
结束了。我很高兴一切都结束了。
That’s over. I’m glad that’s over.
杰克逊。
Jackson.
马上就来。
I’ll be right there.
– 嗨,杰克逊。- 我们还欠你56块?
– Hey, Jackson. – We owe you $56?
好像是的。
Sounds about right.
嗨,杰克逊。
Hey there, Jackson.
哇!
Whoa!
你应该长点儿脑子…操♥他♥妈♥你自己的心,小子。
You oughta mind… your own fuckin’ business, bub.
我告诉你,桑德,如果我能做到,你也能。
I’m telling you, Sande, if I can do it, you can too.
现在已经三个星期了。不是一天两天。
It’s been three weeks now. Not a drop.
不,我退出来是有好处的。
No, I quit for good.
我们还在挣扎维持,虽然阿方索和泰德买♥♥了一幅画,
We’re still struggling, but Alfonso and Ted bought a painting,
但在我卖♥♥出更多之前,我们不会赚到钱。
but we won’t see any money until I sell a bunch more.
可是你猜怎么着?德马斯特基金伸出了援助之手。
But guess what? That Demarest Fund came through.
1500块。
Fifteen hundred bucks.
我买♥♥了辆A型车。90块。
I bought a Model “A.” Ninety bucks.
不,我没开玩笑。就像我们以前的一样。
No, I’m not kidding. It’s just like we used to have.
哦,好的。
Oh, okay.
你能让妈妈接电♥话♥吗?我想说晚安。
Um, would you put Mom back on? I’d like to say good night.
好吧,那就代杰克叔叔向他们道晚安。
Okay, then tell them good night from Uncle Jack.
再见。
Bye.
我想“梅西百货”会买♥♥下。
I think the Macys are going to buy.
好。
Good.
– 说你在吗? – 看情况吧。
– Are you here? – Well, it depends.
你好。
Hello.
对不起,他在画画。
I’m sorry, he’s painting right now.
我是李·克斯娜,他老婆。
This is Lee Krasner, his wife.
是的。
Yes.
当然。
Of course.
我会转告他的。
I’ll let him know.
好的,再见。
Okay. Bye.
《生活》杂♥志♥。他们想写一篇关于你的文章。
Life magazine. They want to do an article on you.
妈的。
Damn.
我并没有让形象取代绘画。
I don’t let the image carry the painting.
如果它不知不觉产生了,我会试着除去它,
I– If it creeps in, I try to do away with it,
让画作得以展现。
to let the painting come through.
请保持在那儿,稍等。
Hold it a minute there, please.
波洛克会花上几个小时来沉思一幅作品。
Pollock spends hours contemplating a painting.
完成它可能又要花上几天甚至几个月的时间。
It may be days or even months before he tackles it again.
你最喜欢的艺术家是谁?
Who are your favorite artists?
德库宁、康定斯基。
De Kooning, Kandinsky.
艾尔 格列柯、戈雅、伦勃朗。
El Greco, Goya, Rembrandt.
你如何回应一那些批评你的人?
How do you respond to some of your critics?
他们说你的作品像“乱蓬蓬的头发”
They have said, “A mop of tangled hair.”
“葛底斯堡战役的儿童等高线地图”
“A child’s contour map of the Battle of Gettysburg.”
“崩出来的翔”“变质分解物”,你会对他们说什么?
“Cathartic disintegration.” “Degenerate.” What do you say to them?
– 你还忘了“烤通心粉”。 – 是吗?
– You forgot “baked macaroni.” – Well?
是的。如果他们——人们应该把…
Well, if they’d– people would just…
大部分东西先放一放,只是注视着这些画,
leave most of their stuff at home and just look at the paintings,
我想他们欣赏这些作品不会有什么问题。
I don’t think they’d have any trouble enjoying them.
就像…注视着花丛。
It’s like… looking at a bed of flowers.
你不会因为考虑这到底意味着什么而抓狂。
You don’t tear your hair out over what it means.
你如何判定你一幅作品完成了呢?
How do you know when you’re finished with a painting?
你如何判定你一场做♥爱♥结束了?
How do you know when you’re finished making love?
这样好些。
That’s better.
展示自我。
Just be yourself.
送货啦。
Delivery.
看看这是谁的故事。
Look whose story this is.
《生活》杂♥志♥的评论文章。
Life magazine article.
如果你还想要,我这里有很多。好好欣赏展览吧。
Oh, I have plenty here if you want another one. Enjoy the show.
贝蒂·帕森斯画廊 1949年11月21日
哦,是的,非常有趣。
Oh, yes, quite interesting.
哦,你好吗?
Oh, yeah, how are you?
杰克,杰克,我要去卖♥♥豆酱了。
Jack, Jack, I’m gonna go sell the bean dip.
看看这里,哥们儿。
Take a look around, fellas.
都是大人物。杰克逊算是破冰了。
These are the big shots. Jackson broke the ice.
嗨,你好啊。
Hi. How are you?
真是太荣幸了。
It’s such a pleasure.
– 认识彼得森一家吗? – 不认识。很高兴认识你。
– Do you know the Petersons? – No. Pleasure to meet you.
这位是贝蒂·帕森斯。
This is Betty Parsons.
桑迪!
Sande!
嗨,妈妈。
Hi, Mom.
– 搞得不错。 – 哦,谢谢。
– Thank you for your work. – Oh, thanks.
去年秋天,波洛克展出了30幅作品,卖♥♥得只剩下5幅。
Pollock showed 30 pictures last fall and sold all but 5.
他的收藏者们正在蚕食这些东西。
And his collectors are nibbling at those.
波洛克先生,在你看来
Mr. Pollock, in your opinion,
现代艺术的意义是什么?
what is the meaning of modern art?
现代艺术,对我来说,
Modern art, to me,
无非是……表现了我们…
is nothing more than the… expression of the contemporary aims…
所处时代的当前目标。
of the age that we’re living in.
传统艺术家有什么方式来表现他们的时代吗?
Did the classical artists have any means of expressing their age?
有的,而且他们表现得很好。
Yes, and they did it very well.
所有的文化都有…
All cultures have had means and techniques…
表达其当前目标的…
of expressing their…
手段和…技术。
immediate… aims.
让我感兴趣的是…
The thing that interests me…
在今天…
is that today…
画家不必去寻找他们自身之外的题材。
painters do not have to go to a subject matter outside of themselves.
他们的创作源泉不同。
They work from a different source.
他们的创作来源于自身内心感受。
They work from within.
在我看来,现代艺术家…
It seems to me that the modern artists…
无法用文艺复兴的旧形式
cannot express this age–
或任何其他过去的文化
the airplane, the atom bomb, the radio–
来表现这个时代的…
in the old forms of the Renaissance…
飞机、原♥子♥弹♥、收音机。
or any other past culture.
那么,你是怎么把颜料弄到画布上的呢?
Well, how do you go about getting the paint on the canvas?
我知道你不用画笔刷之类的东西。
I understand you don’t use brushes or anything of that sort.
我在地上画。
I paint on the floor.
这没什么奇怪的。
That’s not unusual.
东方人早就这么干了。
The Orientals did that.
我使用的大部分颜料都是液体流动的颜料。
Most of the paint I use is a liquid flowing kind of paint.
我的画笔更多的是当作棍子用。
The brushes I use are used more as sticks.
但画笔并没有接触到画布,
But the brush doesn’t actually touch the canvas,
只是位于画布的上空。
just above it.
好吧,但这不是更难控制吗?
Well, isn’t it more difficult to control?
我的意思是,是不是更有可能沾到太多的油漆…
I mean, isn’t there more of a possibility of getting too much paint…
或溅到什么东西?
or splattering or any number of things?
不,我不这么认为。
No, I don’t think so.
凭经验,似乎可以在很大程度上…
With experience, it seems possible to control…
控制颜料的流动。
the flow of the paint to a great extent.
并且我不修改修饰
And I don’t use–
我不利用画错失误的地方进行修改修饰…
I don’t use the accident…
因为我压根不会失误。
’cause I deny the accident.
你们看《艺术杂♥志♥》的评论了吗?
Did you see the Magazine of Art review?
这是一个公开的撤回声明,态度完全的180度调头。
It was a public recant, a complete switcheroo.