安德鲁·贝克特的工作表现
Andrew Beckett’s performance on the job…
一直并不稳定
varied from competent, good…
时好时坏
to oftentimes mediocre…
还有失职行为
to sometimes flagrantly incompetent.
事实是
Fact:
他宣称自己被人诬害 要求赔偿
He claims he’s the victim of lies and deceit.
事实是
Fact:
说谎的是安德鲁·贝克特
It was Andrew Beckett who lied…
他对雇主们极度隐瞒病情
going to great lengths to conceal his disease from his employers.
事实是
Fact:
他就是以欺骗而成功的
He was successful in his duplicity.
怀恩特惠勒的董事解雇他时
The partners at Wyant, Wheeler did not know…
不知道他有艾滋病
that Andrew Beckett had AIDS when they fired him.
事实是
Fact:
安德鲁·贝克特快死了
Andrew Beckett is dying.
事实是
Fact:
安德鲁·贝克特在生气
Andrew Beckett is angry…
因为他的生活方式 所作所为
because his lifestyle, his reckless behavior…
令他短命
has cut short his life.
在愤怒之中
And in his anger, his rage…
他正被鞭答着
he is lashing out.
他要别人付出代价
And he wants someone to pay.
谢谢
Thank you.
安德鲁·贝克特在1990年受雇于你们 对吗
Andrew Beckett represented your company in a lawsuit in 1990. Is that correct?
是的
That’s correct.
你对他的工作满意吗
Were you pleased with his work?
我们满意他的诉讼结果
We were satisfied with the outcome of the litigation.
满意
Satisfied.
莱尔德先生 在我请你来此当证人时
Mr. Laird, when I approached you about being a witness in this trial…
有过一份宣誓证词 对吗
you gave sworn testimony in a deposition, is that correct?
是的
That’s correct.
在这份证词上 你说对安德鲁的表现
In that deposition, you said that you were impressed and delighted…
表示由衷赞赏
with the quality of Andrew Beckett’s work.
你记得这样说过吗
Do you recall saying that?
老实说 安迪在某方面
In all honesty, I was delighted…
很让我赞赏
with certain aspects of Andy’s efforts.
但一般来说
But in general, I found the work to be…
只是满意
merely satisfactory.
你同意
Do you agree…
一份香肠三明治 是让人满意的一顿饭
that a bologna sandwich is a satisfactory meal?
而鱼子酱 香槟
Whereas caviar and champagne…
烤鸭 火烧冰淇淋…
roast duck and baked Alaska…
是令人赞赏的吗
that might be considered a delightful meal?
反对 烹饪与本案毫不相干
We object. These gastronomical comments are irrelevant, Your Honor.
并非不恰当
They are not irrelevant.
五个月前 证人当贝克特是鱼子酱
Your Honor, five months ago this witness characterized Andrew Beckett as caviar.
现在却沦为香肠三明治
Now he’s a bologna sandwich.
陪审团有权知道
I think the jury is entitled to know…
什么力量令他改变主意
what powerful force has caused him to change his mind.
他没改变主意
He hasn’t changed his mind.
他只是阐释答案
He’s amplified his answer.
反对有效
Objection sustained.
好吧
All right.
莱尔德先生 当我是个四岁小孩 解释给我听
Mr. Laird, explain this to me like I’m a four-year-old, okay?
安德鲁·贝克特有替你打赢官司吗
Did Andrew Beckett win your lawsuit for you?
有 我们赢了
Yes, we won.
恭喜 那一定是非常…
Oh, congratulations! That must’ve been a very…
令人满意的经验了
satisfactory experience.
艾滋治愈同性恋
“AIDS Cures Homosexuality”
-好了吗 贝克特先生 -准备好 他们来了
– Ready, Mr. Beckett? – Get ready. Here they come.
肛♥交♥者没人♥权♥
No rights for sodomites!
是亚当夏娃 不是亚当和史蒂夫
Adam and Eve! Not Adam and Steve!
你不可与男性上♥床♥
Thou shalt not lie with mankind.
你认为这是同性恋人♥权♥问题吗
Do you see this as a gay rights issue?
我不是政客 我只是想讨个公道
I am not political. I just want what is fair, what is right.
但你是同性恋吧
But you are gay, aren’t you?
这个与你无关 但我是
I don’t see how that’s any of your business. But, yes, I am.
完全不相干
Totally irrelevant.
你认为同性恋要有特殊对待吗
Do you think that homosexuals deserve special treatment?
-不 -我们住在费城…
– Hell, no! – We’re in Philadelphia…
代表兄弟之爱的城市 自♥由♥的发源地
the City of Brotherly Love, birthplace of freedom…
独♥立♥宣言在此产生
where the Founding Fathers authored the Declaration of Independence.
我不记得那宣言说
I don’t recall that glorious document saying…
正常人生而平等
anything about all straight men are created equal.
而是说 人人生而平等
I believe it says all men are created equal.
放过我吧
Gimme a goddamn break.
只要有人被解雇…
As far as someone being fired from a law firm or a business…
若是由于歧视所致
if we found that their action was discriminatory…
他们别想在本城做生意了
they’d do no business with the city.
谢谢你 市长
– Thank you, Mayor. – Yo!
你没有变得娘娘腔吧
You’re not getting a little light in the sneakers, are you, pal?
我有 菲尔科 我在变
Yeah, I am, Filko. I’m changing.
我在勾搭性伴
I’m on the prowl.
正想找个有魅力的健壮男子
And I’m looking for a hunk, not just any hunk.
像你一样的男人
I mean a man, a real man like you.
告诉大家呀 要扮水手吗
You can tell everybody. You know what we do. You wanna play sailor?
-我是哥伦布 你是大副 -够了 一点也不好玩
– Remember? You’re the first mate? – That’s not funny!
某些这样的人令我想吐
Let me tell you something. These people make me sick.
但是一个规矩在这里被打破了
But a law’s been broken.
你一定记得那条规矩 不是吗
You remember the law?
至少我们有一个共通点
At least we agree on one thing, Joe.
是什么
What’s that, Charlie?
那些同性恋也令我作呕
Tutti-fruttis make me sick too.
本尼迪克特小姐 你曾在沃尔什律师事务所…
Ms. Benedict, is it true you worked for Walsh, Ulmer and Brahm…
跟沃尔特·肯顿共事
at the same time as Walter Kenton?
是的
That’s correct.
那时 沃尔特知道你面上的伤
At that time, did Walter Kenton know…
是由艾滋引起的吗
the K.S. Lesions on your face and arms were caused by AIDS?
当然知道 我跟所有同事说过
Definitely. I told all the partners.
沃尔特之后对你怎样
How did Walter Kenton treat you after you told him you had AIDS?
每次他接触我 都有此表惰
Every time he’d come in contact with me, he’d get this look on his face.
我称之为”天啊”表情
I refer to it as the “Oh, God” expression.
即是 天啊 那个艾滋女人来了
As in, “Oh, God, here comes that woman with AIDS.”
多谢 本尼迪克特女士 没问题了
Thank you, Ms. Benedict. No more questions, Your Honor.
本尼迪克特女士 你怎会患上艾滋
Ms. Benedict, how did you contract the AIDS virus?
在输血时 我分娩时失血过多
Through a transfusion. I lost a lot of blood giving birth to my second child.
那并非你自己的行为
So, in your case there was no behavior on your part…
而引致你有病
which caused you to be infected with the virus.
那是你避免不了的 对吗
It was something you were unable to avoid. Isn’t that correct?
是的
I guess.
谢谢
Thank you.
但我不觉得
But I don’t consider myself…
跟其它病患者有分别
any different from anyone else with this disease.
我没罪 也不无辜 我只是设法求生
I’m not guilty. I’m not innocent. I’m just trying to survive.
谢谢
Thank you, Ms. Benedict.
没其它问题了 法官大人
No further questions at this time, Your Honor.
你可以下来了 本尼迪克特太太
You may step down, Mrs. Benedict.
除了注意到他脸上的伤
Beyond noticing the marks on his face…
还有其它事情
were there other things about his appearance, Miss Burton…
令你怀疑安德鲁有艾滋吗
that made you suspect that Andrew had AIDS?
他越来越瘦 还有他容易累
He was getting thinner, and he seemed very tired sometimes.
但他很努力工作 不过我仍觉得不对劲
But he was working so hard. Still, I felt something was wrong.
我不相信他们会装作什么都没看到
And I can’t believe they’re pretending that they didn’t notice anything.
反对
Objection.
请回答问题
Just answer the question, please.
你在那儿感觉到受歧视吗
Have you ever felt discriminated against at Wyant, Wheeler?
是的
Well, yes.
在哪方面
– In what way? – Well…
惠勒的秘书 莉迪娅说过
Mr. Wheeler’s secretary, Lydia…
惠勒不喜欢我的耳环
said that Mr. Wheeler had a problem with my earrings.