quite a thrill when that happens.
谢谢 安德鲁
Thank you, Andrew.
较早前你说过…
You said earlier…
你是有冒险精神的人 对吗
you aspire to be the kind of person who had an adventurous spirit, correct?
诸如此类吧
Something like that.
你冒险吗
Do you take risks?
在我的工作 是 冒有把握的险
In my work, yes. Calculated risks.
你必须这样
You have to.
你的医生有叫你减少压力吗
Did your doctor ever tell you to reduce stress?
长时间的紧张工作会破坏你的…
That long hours and stressful working conditions…
免疫系统
might damage the immune system…
加剧你的病
and speed up your illness?
我的医生提过艾滋影响 对不起
My doctor mentioned the impact AIDS… Excuse me.
我医生提过压力影响免疫系统
My doctor mentioned the impact stress could have on the immune system.
你去过21街的雄马戏院吗
Have you ever been to the Stallion Showcase Cinema on 21st Street?
我去过
I’ve been to…
那…
that…
我去过那戏院
I’ve been to that theater…
只有三次
three times in my life.
放映哪一类电影
What kind of movies do they show there?
同性恋电影
Gay movies.
同性恋色情电影
Gay pornographic movies?
是的
Yes.
反对 法官大人
Objection, Your Honor.
法官大人 问题能反映证人的可信性
Your Honor, this line of questioning is vital to the issue of credibility.
让我们看看这会怎么发展 继续吧 律师
Let’s see where this is going. Continue, Counselor.
那戏院里男人间有性行为吗
Do men have sex with each other in that theater?
有些人有
Some men.
你跟戏院中的人有过性行为吗
Have you ever had sex with anyone in that theater?
我是罗伯特
I’m Robert.
我叫安迪
Andy.
有
Yes.
一次
Once.
何时 大约是哪一年
When? Approximately what year did that event take place?
那是1984年
I guess it was 1984.
1984或1985年
’84, ’85.
你在84或85年时
Were you aware in 1984, ’85…
知道有一种叫艾滋的绝症
that there was a fatal disease out there called AIDS…
是从性接触传染的吗
and that you could contract it through sexual activity?
我听过一些 我听说过
I’d heard of some… I’d heard of a thing.
同性恋瘟疫 同性恋癌症
The gay plague, the gay cancer.
我们不知如何会得病
We didn’t know how you could get it…
也不知那会致命
or that it killed you.
你需要休息吗
Do you need a break, Mr. Beckett?
不用 我想要杯水
No. I could use some water, though.
约翰 请倒杯水给贝克特先生
John, would you bring Mr. Beckett some water?
你在怀恩特惠勒工作时尽量
While you were employed at Wyant, Wheeler you did everything you could…
不让人知道你是同性恋
to make sure no one knew that you were an active homosexual.
对吗
Correct?
不对
No.
不对 我从未刻意说谎
That’s not correct. I never lied about it.
作为同性恋
As a homosexual…
经常被迫隐瞒性取向
one is often forced to conceal one’s sexuality.
对吗
Isn’t that right?
在某些情况下
In some circumstances, yes.
你一生都在隐藏真正的身份
Isn’t it true you’ve spent your life pretending to be something you’re not…
久而久之 说谎成为一种…
so much so that the art of concealment and dishonesty…
-熟悉隐瞒事实的伎俩 -法官大人 我反对
– has become second nature… – Your Honor, I object!
我收回问题
I’ll withdraw it, Your Honor.
贝克特先生 在1984或85年…
Mr. Beckett, were you living with…
米格尔·阿尔瓦雷茨
Miguel Alvarez…
跟你同居 而你…
in 1984 or ’85 when you had your…
跟陌生人在戏院中作性接触 是吗
anonymous sexual encounter in the porn theater?
是的
Yes.
那你会传染他 对吗
So you could have infected him, isn’t that right?
米格尔没有受感染
Miguel has not been infected.
你没回答问题
You didn’t answer my question.
你那时可能会传染阿尔瓦雷茨先生 对吗
You could have infected Mr. Alvarez at that time. Is that correct?
是的
Yes.
你作供说脸上的病变…
You’ve testified that the lesions on your face…
被你的同事觉察
were visible to the people that you worked with, correct?
是的
That’s right.
你相信上司见到病变时…
And you contend that when the partners were made aware of the lesions…
便下结论说你有艾滋 他们因此解雇你
that they leapt to the conclusion that you had AIDS and fired you.
对吗
Is that correct?
虽然我十分痛苦…
As painful as it is…
去指控我的旧同事
to accuse my former colleagues…
这些不法行为
of such reprehensible behavior…
但这是我唯一的结论
it is the only conclusion I could come to.
你脸上现在有病变吗
Do you have any lesions on your face at this time?
一个 这儿
One here…
在我耳边
right by my ear.
法官大人 我可走近证人吗
Your Honor, may I approach the witness?
可以
Yes, you may.
记住你曾宣誓
Remembering that you’re under oath…
诚实地回答我…
answering truthfully…
你能从三英尺外的镜子里看见
can you see the lesions on your face in this mirror…
脸上的病变吗
from three feet away?
诚实地回答我
Answering truthfully.
在我被解雇时
Well, l… At the time I was fired…
我有四处病变 而且大很多
I had four lesions, and they were much bigger.
请回答问题
Could you answer the question, please?
不 我看不到
Well, no. No, I can’t really see it.
没其它问题了
No more questions, Your Honor.
我想今天该退庭了
This would be a good time to break for today.
-明早再聆讯 -我讨厌这件案子
– We can reconvene in the morning. – I hate this case.
法官大人 能否给我五分钟
Your Honor, may I have five minutes in redirect?
贝克特先生 你能再多支持五分钟吗
Mr. Beckett, can you go on for five minutes?
-三分钟 -好
– Three minutes. – Yes.
能借我镜子吗
May I borrow your mirror, please?
现在你身上
Do you have any lesions on any part of your body at this time…
有近似你被解雇时
that resemble the lesions you had on your face…
脸上所有的病变吗
at the time that you were fired?
有 在我前胸
Yes. On my torso.
你前胸 假如法庭允许
Your torso. If it please the court…
我请安德鲁脱下衬衣
I would like to ask Andrew to remove his shirt…
让大家看看病变的大小
so that everyone could get an accurate idea of what we’re talking about.
反对
Objection.
这是博取陪审同情
Your Honor, it would unfairly influence the jury.
假如安德鲁因病被迫使用轮椅
Your Honor, if Andrew was forced to use a wheelchair due to his illness…
是否要将轮椅放在庭外
would the defense ask him to park it outside…
以免博取陪审同情
because it would unfairly influence the jury?
我们在说艾滋 病变 我们要看
We’re talking about AIDS, about lesions. Let’s see what we’re talking about.
我允许
I’ll allow it.
贝克特先生 请脱下你的衬衣
Mr. Beckett, would you please remove your shirt?
我的天 真是个恶梦
My God, what a nightmare!
他自找的
He asked for it.
你能在镜内看见胸口的病变吗
Can you see the lesions on your chest in this mirror?
可以
Yes.
多谢
Thank you.
你发誓不作伪证
Do you swear to tell the whole truth, so help you God?
我发誓
I do.
请坐
Please be seated.
惠勒先生 安德鲁·贝克特离开你公♥司♥时
Mr. Wheeler, were you aware that Andrew Beckett…
你知道他有艾滋吗
was suffering from AIDS at the time of his departure from Wyant, Wheeler?
-不知道 -请你清楚地表明…
– No. – For absolute clarity…
是否因贝克特有艾滋而解雇他
did you fire Andrew Beckett because he had AIDS?
不 不是因此而解雇他
No, I did not fire Andrew Beckett because he had AIDS.
慧勒先生 请你说明…
Mr. Wheeler, can you explain, in a way that leaves no doubt…
你何以逐步提升安德鲁·贝克特
why you promoted Andrew Beckett through your firm?
然后 最后却