参加了 -解决方案落实了么
yes. -Was the resolution carried?
落实了 那些无神论者被彻底击溃了
It was. The atheists were thoroughly routed.
亲爱的William先生讲话了么?
Did dear Sir William speak?
讲了…
He did…
真高兴看见你们!
Oh, I am pleased to see you!
Anne小姐!
Miss Anne!
我们这次是为了上将的健康才来的
We are here to improve the Admiral’s health.
您怎么了? -空气太干了 亲爱的
What is the problem? -Dry land, my dear!
但我的双腿似乎不赞同
It doesn’t agree with my legs.
天哪 过来喝点水
Oh, dear. Well, come and take some of this water.
她现在也住在这儿了
Now that she is settled here,
我觉得我不该再喧宾夺主了
I cannot suppose myself wanted.
我也许该回家了 -根本不用
perhaps I should go home. -There is no need.
跟你比起来 她什么都不是
She’s nothing to me compared to you.
我亲爱的女士 您在巴斯还什么都没看呢
My dear madam, as yet you’ve seen nothing of Bath.
现在不要走
Do not run away now.

Ah.
早 -早
Good morning. -Good morning.
我们的表亲今早要来拜访 Anne
We wait this morning upon our cousins, Anne.
Dalrymple夫人
Lady Dalrymple
和尊贵的Carteret小姐
and the Honourable Miss Carteret.
希望你能陪我们一起等
you will accompany us, I hope.
听您的
If you wish.
女子爵! 她可是女子爵!
A Viscountess! She is a Viscountess!
还是家人
And family.
家庭纽带总是值得维护
Family connections are always worth preserving.
我们应当前去拜访
We shall call and be presented.
你最近越来越会打扮了 Anne
your looks are greatly improved, Anne.
也没原来那么干瘦了
you’re less thin in your person,
气色也变好了 你最近用什么呢
and your cheeks and complexion is fresher. What are you using?
什么也没用
Nothing.
我推荐春天时用Gowland牌面霜
I recommend using Gowland’s Lotion during spring.
Clay夫人就用它 你瞧效果多好
Mrs Clay uses it and see what it’s done for her!
她的雀斑都没了
It’s carried away her freckles.
Walter Elliot先生
Sir Walter Elliot,
Kellynch庄园继承人
late of Kellynch Hall.
Russell夫人
Lady Russell.
Elizabeth Elliot小姐
Miss Elizabeth Elliot.
Anne Elliot小姐
Miss Anne Elliot.
Clay夫人
And Mrs Clay.
以及Clay夫人
And Mrs Clay.
我父亲宣称那是一次大成功
My father declared it a notable success.
但我看 Dalrymples家在礼仪
But I discern no superiority
才学 或者 才智方面
of manner, accomplishment,
也没有高人一等
or understanding in the Dalrymples.
也就那样了
And that is all there is to it.
知音难寻
Good company is always worth seeking.
即使他们一无所知
Though nothing in themselves,
他们也还是有自己的知音
they collect good company around them.
Elliot先生 我对知音的标准是
My idea of good company, Mr Elliot, is the fellowship
聪明 且 见多识广
of clever, well-informed people
能言善辩 思想开明
who have conversation and a liberality of ideas.
这就是我所谓的知音
That’s what I call good company.
那不是知音
That is not good company.
那是挚友
That is the best.
知音只求身份 学识 教养
Good company requires only birth, education and manners.
而谈到学识 都大同小异
And with regard to education, it is not very particular.
我亲爱的表妹 Dalrymple是大家族
My dear cousin, the Dalrymples move in the first set,
阶级就是阶级 和他们沾亲还是有好处的
and as rank is rank, your being related will be advantageous.
我想你应该比我更在乎阶级地位
I perceive your value for rank to be greater than mine.
只是你太高傲 不愿承认罢了
you’re too proud to admit it.
是么?
Am I?
是的 我们很像 -像么?
yes. We’re very alike. -Are we?
哪方面?
In what respect?
某一方面绝对像
In one respect I am certain.
我们都觉得 任何一个
We both feel that every opportunity
能让您父亲融入上流社会的机会
for your father to mix in the best society
都会使他的注意力从那些低于他的人身上转移
may help divert his attentions from those who are beneath him.
你自认为了解我 Elliot先生
you presume to know me very well, Mr Elliot.
我的内心非常了解你
In my heart, I know you… intimately.
Westgate大楼?
Westgate Buildings?
你跑到Westgate大楼
Who is this invalid you visit
看哪个病号♥去了?
in Westgate Buildings?
Smith夫人
Mrs Smith
Smith夫人!
Mrs Smith!
一位寡妇 -寡妇Smith夫人
A widow. -A widow Mrs Smith!
是因为她病了你才去么?
Is her attraction that she’s sickly?
我敢保证 Anne Elliot小姐
Upon my word, Miss Anne Elliot,
你就是品味与众不同
you have extraordinary taste.
别人还邀请你参加什么叛乱活动了
What revolts other people is inviting to you.
她是我以前学校的同学
She is a former school fellow,
而且我还答应今天下午去陪她
and I am spending this afternoon with her.
Dalrymple夫人的邀请才是最要紧的
Lady Dalrymple’s invitation is most pressing.
你就不能把你的事儿推倒明天么
Could you not put her off till tomorrow?
就今天下午我们俩都有时间
It is the only afternoon which suits both her and myself.
所以你要驳Dalrymple的面子
So, you would snub Lady Dalrymple
去见Smith夫人
for a Mrs Smith,
那个寄住在Westgate大楼的女人
lodging in Westgate Buildings.
你宁愿天天和那个Smith夫人在一起
That you’d prefer an everyday Mrs Smith
也不愿和你的贵族亲戚们
to your family connections
待在一起?
among the nobility?
Smith夫人 大俗姓!
Mrs Smith -such a name!
我再问你最后一次
Once and for all,
你到底跟不跟我们
will you accompany us
去Dalrymple家参加茶会?
to a tea party at the Dalrymples?
不 我不去!
No, sir. I will not!
我先和Smith夫人约好的
I have a prior engagement with Mrs Smith,
她又不是巴斯唯一
who is not the only widow in Bath
没有贵族姓氏的寡妇!
with no surname of dignity!
你不感到忧郁么
Do you not suffer from melancholy?
有你来看我 我又怎会感到忧郁
How could I be melancholy, when you are come to visit?
你一点都不能走么 -不能
Can you walk at all?. -No.
但我不会让病痛击毁我的精神的
But I will not allow sickness to ruin my spirits.
你丈夫没给你留下什么财产?
Did your husband leave you any money?
很少 他的生意基本都砸了
Very little. His affairs had utterly collapsed.
剩下的都付给Rooke护士了
And it’s all spent on Nurse Rooke.
她除了帮我洗热水澡
Who, besides carrying me into the hot bath,
还会告诉我外面世界的奇闻轶事
brings me my one source of consolation,
我也借此得到安慰
delicious gossip from the world outside.
那您是个间谍了 Rookie护士
So you are a spy, Nurse Rooke.
我只是看见什么说什么
I keep my ears open, that’s all.
关于我这位朋友 你又听到什么么
What have you heard of my friend here?
我知道她的表兄Elliot先生
I know her cousin, Mr Elliot,
对她评价甚高
thinks terribly highly of her.
你怎么会知道?
How on earth do you know that?
我伺候Wallis上校的夫人
I attend on Colonel Wallis’s wife,
她现在怀孕不适
who’s indisposed with a baby.
她说
And she says
Wallis上校说Elliot先生…
that Colonel Wallis says that Mr Elliot…
行了 别说了
That’s quite enough!
看见没 Anne 巴斯没有秘密
you see, Anne. There are no secrets in Bath.
记得我小舅子么
you remember my brother-in-law,
Frederick
Frederick.
记得 怎么了
yes?
我们一度以为他
We thought he was
要娶Louisa Musgrove
to marry Louisa Musgrove.
您好
How do you do?
他追了她很久
He courted her week after week.
是的
yes.
一直不懂他俩在等什么呢?
The only wonder was what were they waiting for?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!