a perfume of such subtle beauty…
这么细腻优美的香水
and yet such power, that for one single moment…
却又如此强烈,使得有那么一刻
every person on earth believed they were in paradise.
世上的人都相信自己身在天堂
Twelve essences could be identified…
12种香味都被辨识出来了
but the 13th, the vital one…
不过第13种,最重要的那种
could never be determined.
却没人能找到
Why not?
为什么?
Why not? What do you mean, why not?
为什么?什么叫为什么?
Because it’s a legend, numbskull!
因为那只是传说,笨蛋
What’s a “legend?”
传说是什么?
Never mind.
算了
Jean-Baptiste. Jean-Baptiste?
葛奴乙?葛奴乙?
What’s the matter?
怎么回事?
Master, I have to learn how to capture scent.
师♥傅♥,我得学习如何保存香味
What are you talking about?
你在胡说什么?
I have to learn how to capture scent and reprise it forever.
我得学习如何抽取并重现香味
You mean, preserve.
你是说保存
You have to teach me that.
您得教我
All right. Calm down, my boy.
好,冷静点,孩子
Calm down.
冷静点
We have work to do.
我们还有工作要做
“The soul of beings is their scent.”
生命的灵魂就是他们的香味
You said that, master.
这是您说的,师♥傅♥
Did I?
是吗?
I will make you as many perfumes as you want…
我会帮您配各式各样的香水
but you have to teach me how to capture the smell of all things.
不过您得教我怎么抽取香味
Can you do that?
您做得到吗?
Well, naturally.
当然
Then teach me everything you know…
那就把您所知的一切教我
and I’ll make you the best perfume in the whole world.
我就为您做出世上最棒的香水
Mind yourselves.
请小心点
Imagine, Jean-Baptiste…
想像一下,葛奴乙
ten thousand roses…
上万朵玫瑰
to produce one single ounce of essential oil.
制♥造♥出一盎司的香精油
That’s the last of them.
那是最后一批了
Now, keep the air flowing
让空气流通
or the bottom petals will begin to stew…
否则在我放蒸馏器时
while I set up the alembic.
底部的花瓣会熟透烂掉
And take care not to damage them.
要小心别捣烂它们了
We have to let them go to their deaths with their scent intact.
我们得让它们带着香味死去
Perfect.
太好了
Now, help me with the Moor’s head.
帮我放上摩尔人的头
Temperature is vital.
温度很重要
When the quicksilver is here, the heat is precisely correct…
水银到这里,温度就刚好
and the oil will gradually rise.
香精油就会逐渐上升
Note that this mechanism…
这个装置
is a remarkable invention of my own devising.
是我自己的伟大发明
You will observe how cold water…
你会观察到冷水是如何
is pumped through here…
通过这里
allowing the essence to condense here…
让精华在这里凝聚
until it finally…
直到它终于
appears…
出现在
here.
这里
Of course, out on the hillside above Grasse…
当然,在格拉斯城上方的山坡上
we had only to bellow pure, fresh air.
我们只能用风箱搧空气冷却
Ah, Grasse.
格拉斯
What a town.
真棒的城市
The Rome of scents.
香味之都
The Promised Land of perfume.
香水的天堂
No man can rightly
没有在那个神圣之都
call himself a perfumer…
证明过自己的价值的人
unless he has proved his worth in that hallowed place.
根本不能自称是香水师
Not to worry. Happens all the time.
别担心,这种情况常有
To Grasse.
敬格拉斯
Master.
师♥傅♥
Look.
你看
The very soul of the rose.
玫瑰的灵魂
Jean-Baptiste.
葛奴乙
What’s wrong?
怎么回事?
Jean-Baptiste.
葛奴乙
What have you done?
你做了什么?
You lied.
你说慌
What?
什么?
You lied to me.
你骗我
How dare you talk to me like that.
你竟敢这样对我说话
You said I could capture the scent of anything.
你说我能抽取任何东西的香味
And so you can.
你是可以啊
What do you smell?
你闻到什么?
What do you smell?
你闻到什么?
Nothing.
什么都没有
What were you expecting to smell?
你想闻到什么?
Glass.
玻璃
But glass doesn’t smell.
可是玻璃没味道
Course it does. What’s this?
当然有,这是什么?
I don’t smell a thing.
我什么都没闻到
It should smell like copper!
它应该要有铜的味道
Enough!
够了!
You were trying to distill the smell of copper?
你想蒸馏出铜的味道?
Iron? Glass? Copper?
铁?玻璃?铜?
What else did you try?
你还试过什么?
No!
不!
Have you gone completely insane?!
你疯了?
You told me I had to experiment.
你说过我得试验
Experiment?
试验?
Experiment?! But not with the cat.
试验?那也不该拿猫试
What kind of a human being are you?
你还是不是人啊?
Don’t you know anything?!
你没常识吗?
You can no more distill the scent of a cat…
你不能蒸馏猫的味道
than you can distill the scent of you or me.
就跟你不能蒸馏你我的味道一样
I can’t?
不能?
Of course not!
当然不能
He is in stadio ultimo.
他已经进入濒死阶段了
What? He’s dying.
什么?他要死了
Is there nothing you can do?
你没办法治好他吗?
I fear not.
恐怕没有
No!
不!
He cannot die.
他不能死
Well, my fee is 50 francs.
诊疗费是50法郎
50 francs?! You charlatan!
50法郎?你这个庸医
You can’t even name the disease!
你连病名都说不出来
You cannot do this to me.
你不能这样对我
Please, don’t die on me.
拜托,你不能死
Not now. Not yet.
现在不能死,还不能死
Is there…
除了
any other way…
蒸馏法之外
to preserve smell besides distill it?
有没有别的方法能保存香味?
Jean-Baptiste?
葛奴乙?
Is there, master?
有吗,师♥傅♥?
Well, yes, I believe there is.
有的,我相信有
What is it?
那是什么?
It is known as the mysterious art of enfleurage.
那是神秘的油萃法
Can you teach me?
您能教我吗?
Not even I am intimate with its secrets.
就连我也不熟悉它的做法
But could I learn it in Grasse?
但我能在格拉斯学到吗?
Well…
这个嘛…
Could I?
我能吗?
Where else but in Grasse?
除了格拉斯外还会有哪里?
Within a week Grenouille was well again…
一星期内,葛奴乙就痊愈了
but in order to travel to Grasse and find a job…
不过为了去格拉斯找个工作
he needed a journeyman’s papers.
他需要一张学徒出师证书