Maybe it comes with the territory.
或许这来自本性
I’ve known Hem for over 30 years.
我认识他30年了
Since we were kids in Paris back in the ’20s.
我们在19世纪20年代,当时在巴黎,还是少年的时候认识的
Hem can be the meanest son of a bitch you’ve ever seen.
明威绝对是我遇见最吝啬的人
I’ve seen him at his best and his worst,
我见过他最好的一面 也见过他最坏的一面
but he’s the only true friend I’ve ever had.
但他仍是我见过的唯一真正的朋友
Kind, loyal, gentle.
善良 忠诚 有礼
You can’t judge him
你不能像普通人一样
like an ordinary man
评论他
because he’s not ordinary in any sense of the word.
因为在任何意义上他都不是普通人
A hundred years from now,
从现在起的一百年后
people will read his work
人们会读他的作品
and know his name.
知道他的名字
Kid.
孩子
You should know what’s going on around here.
你应该要知道这儿经历了什么
This, uh, character–
这个人
he a good guy?
他是个好人吗
Yeah. He’s a political reporter.
是的 他是一个政♥治♥记者
Pulitzer winner.
获得过普利策奖
Pulitzer doesn’t make you a good character.
普利策奖不会让你成为一个好人
I’m living proof of that.
我就是这方面活生生的例证
So she left him to be with you, huh? Yeah.
然后她离开了他 和你在一起了 是吗 是
Do you love her?
你爱她吗
Yeah.
爱
What do you want?
你想要什么
I don’t know.
我不知道
I’m trying to write about Hadley,
我在写哈德林
my first wife.
我的第一任妻子
The only true love I ever felt was from her.
她是我遇见的唯一的真爱
I’m trying to…
我试着
to get one true sentence
用一句真诚的话
to start it, you know?
起笔
The fun we had,
我们有过的快乐
loving each other in a warm bed in Austria that winter.
在那个冬天 在奥地利温暖的床上彼此相爱
And then I had to go back to New York
然后我必须回一趟伦敦
to deal with publishers.
处理和出版商的事
And when I came back the next spring,
我准备来年春天回去
I stopped off in Paris
就暂住在了巴黎
to fuck the woman that would later be my second wife–
和后来成为我的第二任妻子的女人滚了床单
my rich wife.
一个有钱的老婆
And then on to Austria,
然后回到了奥地利
seeing Hadley at the station
我在火车站看见了她
with our son.
还有我们的儿子
How beautiful she looked.
她是那么美丽
Unforgivable.
而我 是那么的不可饶恕
You make a decision, kid,
你要做出决定 孩子
make it carefully.
仔细斟酌地决定
Know what you truly want.
知道你真正想要的是什么
Consider…
思考
every possible consequence,
每一个可能出现的结果
or you’ll wind up at 59…
否则你最终会像我一样等到活到59岁的时候
wondering what the hell happened.
才想究竟发生了什么
Did the cab come?
计程车来了吗
Not yet.
还没有
What are you reading?
你在读什么
Reading about your new friend Hemingway.
读你的新朋友海明威
I can see that.
看的出来
Eddie, what’s California like?
埃迪 你觉得加利福利亚怎么样
California? You know, it’s like here, but without the humidity.
加利福利亚 跟这儿差不多 但是不潮湿
I want you to run away to California with me.
我想要你和我一起去加利福利亚
Don’t go to Havana, Eddie.
不去古巴了 埃迪
Deb, I got– They’re waiting for me. It’s his birthday.
德布 我要走了 他们在等我 今天是他的生日
The flight’s about to leave.
飞机马上要起飞了
I’m late.
我要迟到了
What are you afraid of?
你在怕什么
Will you listen to something?
你愿意听个东西吗
It’s Hemingway.
海明威说过的一句话
“The celebrated develop a technique to deal with the persons they come across.
名人发明了一种技巧来应对他们遇到的人
They show the world a mask,
他们带着面具面对着世界
but take care to conceal their real selves.
而时刻隐藏着他们真实的自我
They play the part that is expected from them, I gotta go.
他们扮演着别人希望他们成为的样子 我要走了
but with practice play it very well.
而且通过练习演的很像
Let’s talk about it. But you are stupid if you think
我们再说吧 但是如果你认为
this public performance of theirs
这种公众表现和他们真实的自我是一样的
corresponds with the man within.”
那你就太傻了
I’ll be back Tuesday.
我周二就回来了
Deb certainly deserved someone who could commit to her.
德布真的值得遇见一个待她忠诚的人
Even though I loved her, how could I give her something I had never known?
即便我爱她 我又怎么能给她我自己都不确定的东西
I guess it started about a month ago.
我想大概是一个月前
Papa started to complain that he’s living with his “deads,” as he calls them.
爸爸开始抱怨自己和“死者”生活在一起 他这么称呼他们的
Every morning he’d go to work and there they are,
每天早上他都会去工作 去他们在的地方
all his dear, old dead friends,
他所有挚爱的 已逝的旧友
talking to him as if they were alive.
会和他聊天 像他们活着时一样
I guess they’re real enough in his mind, but…
我猜他们在他的脑海中一定很真实 但
it’s bloody close to madness.
这会让他几近疯狂
Oh!
噢
This water’s glorious.
这水真舒服
Oh, I’m so glad you’re here, lamb.
真的高兴你在这 小羔羊
Oh, yes, yes, yes. That helps.
哦 真好 这很有用
Every day, he’s just become more depressed.
每天 他都会变得更抑郁
You know? More moody.
你知道的 更喜怒无常
When I saw him at his desk this morning
我早上看见他在桌前
with that pistol…
盯着手♥枪♥
I’ve never been that terrified in my life.
我从没有如此后怕过我的生活
I didn’t know what to do.
我不知道该怎么办
He just sat there, staring at the gun.
他就坐在那儿 一直盯着那支枪
So I got angry
我很生气
and I said…
然后我说
that if he was gonna do such a stupid, idiotic thing,
如果他要做那傻事的话
to at least go outside where I wouldn’t have to clean up the mess.
至少去外面 我不想清理后场
I’ve been waiting all morning to hear a shot.
整个早上我都在等他开枪
Evan said that– that he’s threatened suicide before.
埃文说 他以前也受过这种自杀的折磨
Yeah, but this is different.
是的 但这次不一样
It’s very different. He–
这次不同的 他
The other times, he’s always been able to get himself out of the dark places he goes to,
以前 他都能自己从黑暗中走出来
but this time–
但是这一次
He doesn’t even want to celebrate his birthday.
他甚至不想连生日都不想庆祝
But… I do.
但是 我想庆祝
I want to have a party. You know?
我想办个大聚会 你知道吧
Lots of people and good talk, good booze, good food.
会有很多人 大家聊得很嗨 美酒 美食 应有尽有
Lamb, can you help me?
小羔羊 你能帮我吗
Whatever you need.
愿意效劳
I have a plan.
我有一个计划
Eddie, you will play General Buck Lanham,
埃迪 你要扮演巴克·兰纳姆将军
commander of the 22nd Infantry Regiment in France during World War II.
他是二战时期第22步兵团的司令
And Evan, you will play
然后埃文 你要扮演
Papa’s African white hunter hero, Philip Percival.
爸爸的非洲白人猎人英雄 菲利普·珀西瓦尔
We’ll be reinforced at lunch by Papa’s old Cuban friends.
我们会在午饭时找来爸爸古巴的旧友增援
There’s Sinsky.
其中有个人叫明斯基
He’s a Basque seaman
他是一名巴斯克水手
who now captains cargo ships between New Orleans and Havana.
现在在新奥尔良和哈瓦那指挥装船
The Herrara brothers, Roberto and Luis.
这是赫雷拉兄弟 罗伯特和路易斯
Luis was a surgeon for the Loyalists during the Spanish Civil War.
路易斯是西班牙内战时期反对独♥立♥者的外科医生
Paxtchi Ibarlucia and Fernando Mesa,
巴鲁西亚和费尔南多·梅萨
both Spanish Civil War veterans exiled in Cuba.
都是西班牙内战时期的老兵 流亡到古巴
Oh, and one other survivor of that crew I know only as Lucas.
哦 另外所有船员中 我还知道的唯一幸存者就是卢卡斯了
He’s Cuban, and he’s a very mysterious character.
他是古巴人 很神秘
Only Papa seems to know him.
只有爸爸认识他
Colonel Buck Lanham and the 22nd Infantry Division
巴克·兰纳姆上校 第22届步兵团
wishing you a happy birthday, Ernie!
祝您生日快乐